non posting members

Dinosaur

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='benden' timestamp='1413530504' post='10303853']
[quote name='roperdad' timestamp='1413420202' post='10296069']
Better to be silent and thought a fool than start typing and remove all doubt.
[/quote]
Is this based on your own insecurities or a judgement on others?? Just curious....No offence meant.
[/quote]

I think just a humorous play on the "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt" quote.

I thought it worked well.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1413546516' post='10304123']
[/quote]
Is this based on your own insecurities or a judgement on others?? Just curious....No offence meant.
[/quote]

I think just a humorous play on the "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt" quote.

[/quote]
Wasn't sure - if it was based on personal insecurity, kind words might help and I would have supplied them. If it was based on judgement of others, that's both rude and arrogant, was curious.

[quote name='benden' timestamp='1413547265' post='10304155'][quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1413546516' post='10304123']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Wasn't sure - if it was based on personal insecurity, kind words might help and I would have supplied them. If it was based on judgement of others, that's both rude and arrogant, was curious.[/quote]

It was meant as a humorous play... In life and on the internet I'm more of a listener than leader of conversation. If I feel I can add to conversation I do.

If I came across as rude or arrogant I apologize. To the OP's topic, you now see why I choose to post infrequently. My sense of humor doesn't come across well via a keyboard.

910 Driver 10.5*
910 3W and 4H
712 AP2's
Vokey 52, 56 and 60
Coronado Putter

[quote name='roperdad' timestamp='1413547615' post='10304173']
[quote name='benden' timestamp='1413547265' post='10304155'][quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1413546516' post='10304123']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Wasn't sure - if it was based on personal insecurity, kind words might help and I would have supplied them. If it was based on judgement of others, that's both rude and arrogant, was curious.[/quote]

It was meant as a humorous play... In life and on the internet I'm more of a listener than leader of conversation. If I feel I can add to conversation I do.

If I came across as rude or arrogant I apologize. To the OP's topic, you now see why I choose to post infrequently. My sense of humor doesn't come across well via a keyboard.
[/quote]Not at all RD!!

ABSOLUTELY no need to apologize!!

First welcome to the board :)

It's great to have You!!

The verse that you quote is an age old verse that most of us have had someone quote either to us as in a mentor giving advice or listening to Someone else speak to others.

Regardless of intent, because I love when people say, " not to be rude but...," not to be _ _ _ _ _(pick your adjective)," and they use a passive aggressive or even worse, play ignorant to set one up-

99% of the guys here understood your post and the intent, as witnessed by the likes that you received and the fact that three pages went by before you had to explain the obvious.

THIS is why people do not post!!

I hate passive aggressive attempts at witty insults to attempt to make people feel bad or feel as though they should apologize. It was an excellent post RD :)

Again, welcome to the board My Friend, and please, the vast majority of members are like the guys that gave you likes and Joey2Aces, Conrad, Pigems, DeNinny and DeadSolid, who kindly explanationed the obvious as he is one of the good guys.

You're good Bro, and it's great to have You

Absolutely no explanation or apology needed :)

And yea, I was told that verse a long time ago, and though I've tried to adhere to it, sometimes I've failed miserably, LMAO, and yep, I wear my insecurities on my sleeve ;)

But I'm good with it :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Roperdad, if I see a post than can be taken different ways I FIRST
look for humor or sarcasm intent before I look at it seriously and I
think many on here do the same.

I sometimes see posts where a member will UNINTENTIONALLY
word it in such a way that makes it funny and sometimes these
are the best and funniest posts.

Many of us choose to use the emoticons which can make clear
the intent of your post and help ensure it is taken in the way it
has been offered up.

Please do post. Believe me, you'll be glad you do cause there
are many great members on here that are much fun to banter
with and are very helpful if you need help with anything. :)

[quote name='roperdad' timestamp='1413552586' post='10304471']
I enjoy watching people at airports. I lurk here more than I post. Perhaps that is a sad reflection on my personality.

I also drink at home alone and play many rounds alone at 6:00 am.

It could be time to seek professional help &#4322820;
[/quote]

I've spent much time in Wyoming. Perhaps you're the quiet tough
type whose more about action than words. :D

I enjoy watching people at airports. I lurk here more than I post. Perhaps that is a sad reflection on my personality.

It could be time to seek professional help & #4322820;
[/quote]Well, I've had professional help and it's grossly overrated ;)

Regarding the drinking alone, WTH, if ya live alone, it's not like you're gonna invite someone over every time that you want to imbibe-

As for playing alone, while I did play 4-5 rounds/week with others, far and away the best and most fun times were when I grabbed a cart in the evenings in the Autumn and rode around/jumped around by myself.

I can run with the pack however my "me(alone)" time is critical to whatever sanity that I have left.

Just know that if and when you want to jump into a thread, do not hesitate due to perceived lack of knowledge on the subject matter or worry that what you would say has been said before, because trust me Bro, and I can only speak for myself here, though there's not a single post in my 2000+ posts that hasn't been said before :)

And if you fear being "judged" on your post, fear not because there is ALWAYS a bigger judge just a post away from he who judges you :)

Have a nice weekend my Friend :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1413553911' post='10304567']

It could be time to seek professional help & #4322820;
[/quote]Well, I've had professional help and it's grossly overrated ;)

Regarding the drinking alone, WTH, if ya live alone, it's not like you're gonna invite someone over every time that you want to imbibe-

As for playing alone, while I did play 4-5 rounds/week with others, far and away the best and most fun times were when I grabbed a cart in the evenings in the Autumn and rode around/jumped around by myself.

I can run with the pack however my "me(alone)" time is critical to whatever sanity that I have left.

Just know that if and when you want to jump into a thread, do not hesitate due to perceived lack of knowledge on the subject matter or worry that what you would say has been said before, because trust me Bro, and I can only speak for myself here, though there's not a single post in my 2000+ posts that hasn't been said before :)

And if you fear being "judged" on your post, fear not because there is ALWAYS a bigger judge just a post away from he who judges you :)

Have a nice weekend my Friend :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard
[/quote]

I disagree Richard. You are definitely an ORIGINAL and have said
many things here that haven't been said before! :D

That's why I try to get you to promise to poke your head back in
here when you're back on your feet and playin' again. :)

[size=4]Hey Richard,[/size]

[size=4]Got the message of too many quotes to do it properly and I never get it correct when I try to eliminate a few of them, so I'll just go with a new reply.[/size]

[size=4]Not to be rude or anything........................... :sorry:[size=4] [/size][/size]

[size=4][size=4]Nah, just kidding, great post as usual.[/size][/size]

[size=4][size=4]And I think we should give Benden some slack here too. I really think his post was an honest question, didn't really have bad intentions. We don't want to have him hesitant about posting either.[/size][/size]

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1413555238' post='10304649']

[size=4]Got the message of too many quotes to do it properly and I never get it correct when I try to eliminate a few of them, so I'll just go with a new reply.[/size]

[size=4]Not to be rude or anything........................... :sorry:[size=4] [/size][/size]

[size=4][size=4]And I think we should give Benden some slack here too. I really think his post was an honest question, didn't really have bad intentions. We don't to have him hesitant about posting either.[/size][/size]
[/quote]

Great point Deadsolid.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1413556160' post='10304709']And has to the drinking........I only do it if I'm alone.....or with somebody!

Roperdad, where is Alladin in the state. I've never heard of the town.[/quote]

Far Northeastern corner. Northern Black Hills and just a few miles from Devil's Tower Golf Club, which is a gem!

910 Driver 10.5*
910 3W and 4H
712 AP2's
Vokey 52, 56 and 60
Coronado Putter

[size=4][size=4]And I think we should give Benden some slack here too. I really think his post was an honest question, didn't really have bad intentions. We don't want to have him hesitant about posting either.[/size][/size]
[/quote]Hey DS, I hope all's well.

This is why I only speak for myself because, like our golf swings, how we interpret actions and especially words are an individual thing.

Regarding Bendon's post, I based my response on a few things, one being that I have heard and used that saying thousands of times, from sitting at the table in the card room at the club with my Buds to addressing an obnoxious drunk at my bar to a former student in my grad school class, who while he probably was 10-12 points higher than I in the IQ department, liked to asked rhetorical questions to set himself up to answer, lol.

Call it a "gut" feeling.

No one realizes the fragility of this medium of communication regarding tone and intent more than I, I mean WTH, I never used so many frickin smiley faces ( :) ) in my life to try to show that I was being light hearted, lol, however The way the post was phrased and quite frankly, let's say that saying is indicative of insecurity on the part of the individual stating/posting it(in which case I'm THE most insecure Individual walking the face of the earth, LMAO), why on earth would anyone want to make that individual feel more self conscious?

Nah, I never speak for others, however I just go with my gut, and I'm good with that.

The fact that Bendon was at the bottom of the page for a while yet did not respond, to ME, spoke volumes, and if you do read this Bendon, I mean you know ill will. I do hope that you will continue to post. I just do not like it when an individual feels the need to apologize for them selves when there is absolutely no reason for them to.

And WTH were you apologizing for?

Yours was a great response :)

This is a golf forum, can we not leave the pointed psychoanalytical questions and comments out of it(This is not directed at you DS :) )?

Well, DS, as always, my best wishes to You!!

Have a nice weekend Bro :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1413557860' post='10304815']
Hey Richard,

Got the message of too many quotes to do it properly and I never get it correct when I try to eliminate a few of them, so I'll just go with a new reply.

Not to be rude or anything........................... :sorry:

Nah, just kidding, great post as usual.

And I think we should give Benden some slack here too. I really think his post was an honest question, didn't really have bad intentions. We don't want to have him hesitant about posting either.

This is why I only speak for myself because, like our golf swings, how we interpret actions and especially words are an individual thing.

Regarding Bendon's post, I based my response on a few things, one being that I have heard and used that saying thousands of times, from sitting at the table in the card room at the club with my Buds to addressing an obnoxious drunk at my bar to a former student in my grad school class, who while he probably was 10-12 points higher than I in the IQ department, liked to asked rhetorical questions to set himself up to answer, lol.

Call it a "gut" feeling.

No one realizes the fragility of this medium of communication regarding tone and intent more than I, I mean WTH, I never used so many frickin smiley faces ( :) ) in my life to try to show that I was being light hearted, lol, however The way the post was phrased and quite frankly, let's say that saying is indicative of insecurity on the part of the individual stating/posting it(in which case I'm THE most insecure Individual walking the face of the earth, LMAO), why on earth would anyone want to make that individual feel more self conscious?

Nah, I never speak for others, however I just go with my gut, and I'm good with that.

The fact that Bendon was at the bottom of the page for a while yet did not respond, to ME, spoke volumes, and if you do read this Bendon, I mean you know ill will. I do hope that you will continue to post. I just do not like it when an individual feels the need to apologize for them selves when there is absolutely no reason for them to.

This is a golf forum, can we not leave the pointed psychoanalytical questions and comments out of it(This is not directed at you DS :) )?

Golfingly Yours,
Richard
[/quote]

You're a class act, Richard. Funny thing about emoticons, exclamation points, etc. Unlike you, I never use them. I like to say things both written and verbal in a dry, matter of fact way and then let everyone else figure out if I was kidding or whatnot. Just a sick little game I play.

And I do also hope low or first time posters continue to post. It is my believe that even scratch or + cappers (certainly not that I am one) can learn from the guys in the 30s. What goes on in the heads of those who struggle is far different than for those who don't - especially if they know how to have fun with a game that is supposed to be fun anyway while many of us react with frustration and aggravation. From the mouths of babes, so to speak.

Call it a "gut" feeling.

Golfingly Yours,
Richard
[/quote]

I completely get what you're saying Richard. Tone is such a subjective thing in words. Two people can read the same thing and come away with two completely different interpretations of it.

I put the I"m sorry emoticon in there because you had said you disliked it when someone starts a post with something like "not to be rude or anything", so I started mine that way. Another example of humor or tone just not coming accross very well in the internet (or maybe I'm just not very funny........no that can't be it!).

Anyway, no worries.

Have a great day Richard, always a pleasure!

[quote name='roperdad' timestamp='1413556901' post='10304749']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1413556160' post='10304709']And has to the drinking........I only do it if I'm alone.....or with somebody!

Roperdad, where is Alladin in the state. I've never heard of the town.[/quote]

Far Northeastern corner. Northern Black Hills and just a few miles from Devil's Tower Golf Club, which is a gem!
[/quote]

Cool Roper,

I've heard really good things about Devils Tower. We've actually talked about trying to make a trip up there at some point.

I'm actually just about 25 east of Torrington, so not too far away from you. Kind of surprised I haven't heard the name Alladin. My upcoming Mesquite trip is actually with a group of Wyoming guys.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know the feeling!! :taunt: Firstly, as per first post i didn't know if you where being a little lost on the postings front or you where being, how shall I put this...a ****head!! Now I know full well your not and a good guy you are for it!! On any forum I can't abide arrogance or bullying - I tend to jump on these folks..There just is NO need for it! :tomato:

Keep posting - it adds to the whole experience. :bb2:

And, as said, in the first posts I was just curious.

[/quote]

When I'm over that way...... :golfer:

[/quote]

Hit the nail on the proverbial head!!

I will keep posting, lol!

Call it a "gut" feeling.

Golfingly Yours,
Richard
[/quote]

I haven't replied because I've been working - You have the wrong end of the stick - please see my postings regarding my motivations...Then judge me, lol :stop:

[quote name='benden' timestamp='1413561628' post='10305163']

Call it a "gut" feeling.

Golfingly Yours,
Richard
[/quote]

I haven't replied because I've been working - You have the wrong end of the stick - please see my postings regarding my motivations...Then judge me, lol :stop:
[/quote]No judge here Bro, as I said, there's always a bigger judge right around the corner :)

Nice posts!

Welcome to the forum and I hope that you're having a nice season :)

Richard

Long time stalker, first time talker here.

I joined over two years ago to purchase a driver. Since that driver is still my gamer today, I feel that doesn't qualify me a WRX'r. Shouldn't I have been through about ten other drivers by now?

As others have pointed out, I think it's about personality and a lack of golf knowledge/experience that prevents me from posting. I want to feel like I'm adding value to a thread when posting, not just adding up the post count. I'm shy around people I don't know, unless there's some liquid courage in me.

I enjoy the site and all of the information that is shared. I've spent more time on here in the last couple months than I did in the first two years. Thanks to the veteran posters for the encouragement to be more active.

[/quote]

Population density in Wyoming is 2nd only to Alaska as the most sparsely populated state. So I guess doing things alone seems to make sense somehow.

Or I guess in such a sparsely populated area, if you're within a mile of someone you could be considered as being together.

[quote name='ROOK16' timestamp='1413566568' post='10305575']

I joined over two years ago to purchase a driver. Since that driver is still my gamer today, I feel that doesn't qualify me a WRX'r. Shouldn't I have been through about ten other drivers by now?

As others have pointed out, I think it's about personality and a lack of golf knowledge/experience that prevents me from posting. I want to feel like I'm adding value to a thread when posting, not just adding up the post count. I'm shy around people I don't know, unless there's some liquid courage in me.

I enjoy the site and all of the information that is shared. I've spent more time on here in the last couple months than I did in the first two years. Thanks to the veteran posters for the encouragement to be more active.
[/quote]

While not a 'veteran' poster, I would like to add this to your post....

If you play golf you have something to add!

I, fore one,(an intentional spelling mistake, lol), like to hear EVERYONES opinion - maybe yours will be even more interesting!! :wave:

[quote name='Cuja444' timestamp='1413507368' post='10302479']
Intimidation, there's some people that try to make a joke of your posts or try to make you look like a idiot. There's more people that try to help and are great but there's a select few that [b]try to make a smart azz comment on every post[/b]
[/quote]

Yep, that's me.

My posts break down as follows

85% - snark
15% - whining about the lack of lefty stuff (Yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Srixon)

[/quote]Welcome Rook :)

I was born up the road a bit, in West Lafayette.and spent a little time in Bloomington before my P's shipped me to my Grandmother(they were tryin to get through undergrad and then my Father med school at IU, and apparently I was a pain in the a**). I also was in ChiTown post college and then again after grad school so I spent a lot of hours cruisin across Indiana and Ohio to Pittsburgh.

Great State and Great peeps!!

I hope that You enjoy you time on the board and do jump in where Ya like-

Have a nice weekend :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1413506066' post='10302363']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1413504281' post='10302187']
[quote name='shanksfornuthin' timestamp='1413499803' post='10301815']
No one should feel intimidated about posting if there is something they want to share. Yes, there is a lot of knowledge on here, but any poster who responds in a condescending, rude, or otherwise disrespectful manner has bigger issues they should be dealing with. I think their therapist would agree. Funny and smart-a$$ responses get a chuckle from me, but derisiveness not so much. I don't get why those folks don't just stay out of a thread in the first place.

My only suggestion to lurkers who are afraid to jump into the fray is don't drink and post. Now that can be dangerous. You don't want to wake up the next day thinking "did I really say that?". But, even if your facts turn out to be incorrect, it can make for good conversation and you and most likely others will learn something. This is about golf. Its a game. It should be fun. Unless its you're livelihood lighten up and keep the sniping to a minimum. And if it is your livelihood, this is a good place to use your talent and knowledge constructively.

Of course, I can take pot-shots at others with the best of 'em so I'm not too afraid of others' responses, but I'm a little too new to ruffle any feathers just yet.
[/quote]Well I look at it 2 ways This is America and we have free speech and I have said this before but I feel the need to express this again As a Christian guntoating Southern redneck veteran hippie I may not agree with your beliefs or statements but I will stand by you and fight to the death to preserve your right to state them. Like I told RP if I dont like the way the thread is heading I will not comment but find something else to read and comment on. On that happy note dont worry about ruffeling any ones feathers they will eventually get over it ------ or not :)
[/quote]Most flexible man on the board!!

If I had to have one man on the tee with me for a game of Vegas/flips at a buck a point(that's $100/point) or at my back in a tense situation, this is my man!!

We might not win, but I'll make ya one promise-

We ain't gonna give it away...

You're gonna have to take it & beat our a** :)

Though let me get my sight back and the feeling in my right hand, lol :)

Richard
[/quote]Thanks RP you have done some gambling in your day with the vegas flip at a buck a point! Heck as my old man used to say Go down Gambling WFO that was his style

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[/quote]

Rook you can always post about the courses that you play. We have a thread for Chicago where we keep each other up to date on course conditions, who's available to play, etc. As someone who will basically drive anywhere to play, your insights and knowledge might inspire our group's next road trip.