Excluding any cities in Florida, what are your top 5 favorite golf cities in America?

[quote name='oregongolf' timestamp='1413865068' post='10323921']
[quote name='JonesScott' timestamp='1413864829' post='10323903']
[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1413864377' post='10323871']
[quote name='JonesScott' timestamp='1413863909' post='10323835']
[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1413863565' post='10323797'] Welp, I'm in! Let's make it $100 a hole while we're at it. [b]You do know what better ball is, right??[/b]
[/quote]

Yes...You hit, then knock it close hits, then you two decide which ball is better and/or leaves you two in the best scoring position.
[/quote]

No....that's a scramble format. Which would actually mean you would stand even LESS of a chance. We'd probably shoot low 60's pretty easily in that format. So if you want to play that way, I'm in for $1000 a hole :) and I won't even bring money to the match. Hint Hint.

Better ball is the same as 4 ball. We both play each hole, and our team takes our lowest score for each hole. So if one of us happens to make double and the other makes birdie, we take birdie.
[/quote]

Guess I learned something else new today :) . Either way, I don't care and you guys could pick whichever format you feel works best for you two. If I don't stand a chance, then I guess I am just a glutton for punishment. Either way it would be great fun and I welcome a good challenge. Out of curiosity why is it OK for you guys to be so confident when playing someone you've never met but when I say I want to try to take my game to the next level all hell breaks lose?
[/quote]

Because statistically, you will lose. Literally every time, regardless of who you are. Especially so, since you just told them they could play a two man scramble.

I will take that bet and twice on Sundays... and I'll even host at my club.
[/quote] Exactly 2 man bestball I don't think we'd shoot over par on a ~74 rated course unless we're both completely off. 2 man scramble we could probably scare the 50's

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too close to call. I think this will depend on if either you or Oregon blow an O-Ring...

12* Cleveland Classic w/ TTDG X100 @43.75"
or
910D3 10.5 w/ Blueboard 65x
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Titelist 909F3 15* Graf Blue
Mizuno Mp CLK 20* w/ VTS Red
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

Where's Dan360? We're both mid/high single digit handicaps and I'd hope I could speak for him and say where can we get in on the 2-man scramble event? Combine our indexes and that makes us something like a 15 handicapper, no way JonesScott loses to a 15.

Can we be the morning match, before the +cappers take the afternoon match?
Chambers Bay right? :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='JonesScott' timestamp='1413864829' post='10323903']
Guess I learned something else new today :) . Either way, I don't care and you guys could pick whichever format you feel works best for you two. If I don't stand a chance, then I guess I am just a glutton for punishment. Either way it would be great fun and I welcome a good challenge. [b]Out of curiosity why is it OK for you guys to be so confident when playing someone you've never met but when I say I want to try to take my game to the next level all hell breaks lose?[/b]
[/quote]

My personal opinion as to the answer is as follows:

1) We've both been around for a reasonable amount of time and established ourselves as community members who are invested in making this a better place.

2) We both have our official GHIN handicaps posted for all to see and have never made an effort to boast about our skills while at the same time hiding behind a computer screen. I've played with WRX members before and it didn't bother me in the least because I have nothing to hide. If someone made the effort, they could probably figure out who I am and look up my tournament scores as well.

3) Your post here makes it sound like you've taken a very mild approach to telling us that you "want to take your game to the next level." If that's really all you want, you've certainly taken a strange route in expressing it to us here. You've asked why your threads get deleted.....have you ever considered that it may be because you say a lot of inflammatory things in a place where you are a relative newcomer? When you say the things you've said and then refuse to back up your claims in person when many members have asked for some evidence of your level of seriousness about the game, it's never going to go well for you.

Overall, I have to admit I am always entertained by your threads :) That counts for something, especially with the season winding down! But if you really want to be more accepted around here, I would suggest taking some pointers in forum behavior from guys like Forged4Ever. Again, just my opinion.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1413866707' post='10324051']
Give pittsburgh, cleveland, or allentown a shot......They are always looking for guys to rake the traps and drive the beer carts in those areas....I know some people if you would like me to put in a word for you.....
[/quote]

Played Saucon Valley in Allentown last month. Man what a place. 3 championship golf courses plus the short course. Great town and great course. According to the locals, there are a couple more courses around the area that are just as nice.

At the risk of appearing extremely foolish, I am going to answer the OP's question:

San Diego
Phoenix/Scottsdale
Myrtle Beach
Las Vegas
Pinehurst

I feel extremely fortunate to get this post completed before the inevitable lock.

If this scramble/better ball match ever happens, and I hope it does, on behalf of the entire GolfWRX population I demand video.

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

[quote name='JonesScott' timestamp='1413863909' post='10323835']
[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1413863565' post='10323797'] Welp, I'm in! Let's make it $100 a hole while we're at it. [b]You do know what better ball is, right??[/b]
[/quote]

Yes...You hit, then knock it close hits, then you two decide which ball is better and/or leaves you two in the best scoring position.
[/quote]

Bwahahahahahahahaha

I'll throw my hometown into the mix ... Indianapolis. It wouldn't be on anyone's top 5 against the Scottsdales and Myrtle Beaches and such, but it's got a lot of above-average courses at good prices. The most you can spend here on a round is $100 at Brickyard Crossing, and that's worth it as a Dye course with four holes inside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval. Total blast. If you have connections there are several good private joints topped by Crooked Stick. Only drawback is the $&!*# winters.

Come down to Phoenix JonesScott, Play (er get waxed) in some Gateway tour events and in the pro/scratch monday game at papago

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1414033325' post='10336595']
Come down to Phoenix JonesScott, Play (er get waxed) in some Gateway tour events and in the pro/scratch monday game at papago
[/quote]

One_Putt, just curious, since we don't have anything similar to those pro/scratch money games around here, as a three handicap do you play in these? With so many good young players there, is anyone who is not a plus just donating?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1414065247' post='10337481']
[/quote]

One_Putt, just curious, since we don't have anything similar to those pro/scratch money games around here, as a three handicap do you play in these? With so many good young players there, is anyone who is not a plus just donating?
[/quote]

Having being eaten for lunch at some really low-level pro/scratch games in Florida as a +3-4 a thousand years ago (OK - 20 years ago), I can't imagine how good the game at papago is.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1413917904' post='10327349']
IBTL. :lock:

Now to the original question. For me, the answer is easy. San Diego, by a long shot. Scottsdale is nice but brutally hot in the summer. San Diego has great golf and perfect weather 95% of the year, if not more.
[/quote]

I would never live in San Diego again under any circumstances ever. Furthermore in my opinion San Diego doesn't have perfect weather, that's why I moved to the PNW, I like rain and lush green scenery, not sun 300 and something days out of the year. I wouldn't live in San Diego if someone offered to buy me a house in Rancho Sante Fe with all utilities paid, I would rather die in agony than be forced to live in San Diego.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't play I work m-f and I'm also smart enough to realize that unless I got pretty lucky I would just be a donation to the game. Depending on who is playing (not uncommon to get a tour pro out there) 64-65 will be low gross maybe 1-4 skins pay out eagles on 2-3 of the par 5s may not be good enough.

I used to play the Friday game at my buddies cc with a bunch of Canadian mini tour guys during the winter. First 3 rounds I had 10 birdies. All skunked by the time the 3rd out of 7 groups finished.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1414081876' post='10338965']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't play I work m-f and I'm also smart enough to realize that unless I got pretty lucky I would just be a donation to the game. Depending on who is playing (not uncommon to get a tour pro out there) 64-65 will be low gross maybe 1-4 skins pay out eagles on 2-3 of the par 5s may not be good enough.

I used to play the Friday game at my buddies cc with a bunch of Canadian mini tour guys during the winter. First 3 rounds I had 10 birdies. All skunked by the time the 3rd out of 7 groups finished.
[/quote]

Damn. I bet it's fun to watch though ( as long as you don't have any cash on the line).

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is sick how much real talent is out there that most people will never hear of. I think there were 2 different tournament 59's shot in the Phoenix area last year.

Oh and the Papago Monday game they usually double roll the greens in the morning and tuck the pins.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1414109019' post='10341325']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is sick how much real talent is out there that most people will never hear of. I think there were 2 different tournament 59's shot in the Phoenix area last year.

Oh and the Papago Monday game they usually double roll the greens in the morning and tuck the pins.
[/quote]

Once overseed is done, I'll play in the Monday game at Papago and post the results so you guys can see how bad a scratch-ish player gets waxed. Papago is no slouch of a course (7300,75.0, 130) and I'd have to shoot a personal course record to probably even get my $20 entry back haha

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Funny, no cities in Florida would make my top 5 anyway. LOL!

San Diego
Atlanta
San Francisco
Birmingham (metropolitan B'ham is VERY underrated for golf)
Philadelphia

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1414112955' post='10341677']
[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1414109019' post='10341325']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Once overseed is done, I'll play in the Monday game at Papago and post the results so you guys can see how bad a scratch-ish player gets waxed. Papago is no slouch of a course (7300,75.0, 130) and I'd have to shoot a personal course record to probably even get my $20 entry back haha
[/quote]

The first time we'll get actual scores in a JonesScott thread and the first time I'll legitimately be interested in them.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball