Big Island Golf

Lexicographer

On 9/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, Lexicographer said:

Bump.  Well, I booked our condo for March 2021 in January of 2020.  Damn you Covid.  Still holding out hope we can make it. 

Plans for this trip are Mauna Lani South, Waikoloa Beach Course (never played, even though it runs right by the condo we stay at), and probably one more.  Might just play Mauna Lani south twice.  Unless any of you have a hookup at Nanea or Kukio (lol!).

Good luck on the hook up lol they are as exclusive as Augusta.

Sadly my buddy no longer works at Kukio 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

On 9/30/2020 at 9:15 AM, Lexicographer said:

Bump.  Well, I booked our condo for March 2021 in January of 2020.  Damn you Covid.  Still holding out hope we can make it. 

Plans for this trip are Mauna Lani South, Waikoloa Beach Course (never played, even though it runs right by the condo we stay at), and probably one more.  Might just play Mauna Lani south twice.  Unless any of you have a hookup at Nanea or Kukio (lol!).

I would suggest playing Mauna Lani North also. Not many ocean views, but I think it's fun to play. Some elevation changes. I'd also check out Waikoloa King's. Not as many condos as the Beach (yet). The North Course and King's host more Amateur and college tournaments than their sister courses.

We were able to play Nanea two years ago, in December. Just before the members come in for Christmas. We saw a foursome off in the distance, and a twosome on the practice green in the 4 1/2 hours we were there. And four women having lunch in the clubhouse. Even though we were playing as people who knew somebody who knew somebody, we were treated like VIP's ( which none of us were/are). Another useless piece of information, while watching the U. S Am's, I saw an interview with David McLay Kidd, Bandon Dunes' architect, and I noticed he was wearing a golf shirt with the Nanea logo. So he also designed Nanea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've played both Mauna Lani courses many times and the South has the ocean views and the North not as many but it's a harder track. I like playing both courses and I don't mind the South course because my wife and I stay at Mauna Lani Point and sometimes we have a condo overlooking the signature 15th hole. Sometimes my friend that lives on the Island and I will play Waikoloa Village although it does get windy sometimes. I've also played Hualalai at the Four Seasons and it's a fun track.

DSC05030.JPG

DSC05032.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/20/2023 at 5:36 PM, ilikegolf26 said:

How’s Waikoala and which 2 of the 3 nines would you all recommend?

The Lakes nine has four forced carries (the second hole, a par three, can be brutal into the wind), the Beach nine has one par five that defines the rest of the course (double dogleg - left then right - that runs along the ocean), and the King's nine lacks anything that really sets it apart, other than the 5th hole, a signature Weiskopf short par 4.  I always thought the King's course (when it was 18 holes) was the more interesting course to play, though it lacks the scenery.  

Expect the greens to be grainy (Bermuda) on all of the nines.  The course conditions generally aren't as good as the bigger resort courses.

Edited by Bumbershoot

48 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

The Lakes nine has four forced carries (the second hole, a par three, can be brutal into the wind), the Beach nine has one par five that defines the rest of the course (double dogleg - left then right - that runs along the ocean), and the King's nine lacks anything that really sets it apart, other than the 5th hole, a signature Weiskopf short par 4.  I always thought the King's course (when it was 18 holes) was the more interesting course to play, though it lacks the scenery.  

Expect the greens to be grainy (Bermuda) on all of the nines.  The course conditions generally aren't as good as the bigger resort courses.

Thanks. Decided I’m going to play Turtle Bay Palmer on Oahu and then Hapuna and Mauna Lani South on the Big Island for my three rounds. 

• Like 1

I'll be there March 9-19 and have booked times on Hapuna and Mauna Lani South as well.  Might squeeze in one more.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 

4w - Callaway Rogue ST Max

3H - Taylormade Stealth Plus 

4U - Hogan UiHi

5-PW - Hogan PTx Pro/Icon Combo

50F, 54D, 58D - Vokey SM9

Putter - Evnroll ER1 Blade

On 2/25/2023 at 8:35 AM, ilikegolf26 said:

Thanks. Decided I’m going to play Turtle Bay Palmer on Oahu and then Hapuna and Mauna Lani South on the Big Island for my three rounds. 

Hapuna and Mauna Lani South are good choices.  

If the wind is down, then Hapuna is very gettable.  Most of the holes have slope to them, some quite a lot.  There's some home under construction at the top of the course, which can make a bit of noise, but it was in great shape late last year.  The greens are Paspalum, and watch it if you're above the hole.

Mauna Lani South is gettable, also, if the wind is down.  Big ol' fairways for the most part, but the holes are surrounded by treachery (lava).  Two really picturesque par 3's - seven and fifteen - that really set the course apart.  Always in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 6:04 PM, Bumbershoot said:

Hapuna and Mauna Lani South are good choices.  

If the wind is down, then Hapuna is very gettable.  Most of the holes have slope to them, some quite a lot.  There's some home under construction at the top of the course, which can make a bit of noise, but it was in great shape late last year.  The greens are Paspalum, and watch it if you're above the hole.

Mauna Lani South is gettable, also, if the wind is down.  Big ol' fairways for the most part, but the holes are surrounded by treachery (lava).  Two really picturesque par 3's - seven and fifteen - that really set the course apart.  Always in good shape.

Ended up only playing Turtle Bay and Mauna Lani South. The day I was going to play Hapuna the winds were sustained in the 30 mph range and gusts over 40 mph so kinda disappointed I missed a round there but really enjoyed Mauna Lani South. 

20 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

The day I was going to play Hapuna the winds were sustained in the 30 mph range and gusts over 40 mph

You probably made a good choice by NOT playing.  Several holes on the front nine play uphill and directly into the wind, so that can be tough.  The back plays easier with the wind (more downhill, downwind holes), but the 17th hole (downhill par 4) plays to a crosswind (left to right) from an elevated tee, so good luck finding your tee shot if you hit it more than 30 feet off the ground...  You can get pummeled up there on a windy day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back.  Played Mauna Lani South, Hapuna, and Waikoloa Beach/Kings.

Mauna Lani South - As good as I remembered.  Great conditioning.  Some wonderful holes along the water.  15 does not disappoint.  Still my favorite that I've played on the Big Island.

Hapuna - Didn't like this as much as I had in the past.  Conditioning was not as good as Mauna Lani.  They've had a lot of rain this year and it was quite overgrown around the edges.  Lots of cut grass clumps in the fairway.  Just messy.  Beautiful views of the ocean, but no holes are particularly memorable.

Waikoloa - Even though I've stayed in the Hali'i Kai condos right next to this course many times, I've never played it.  It's.....fine.  The Beach course has a few fun holes, and number 6 is truly great.  But conditioning was the worst of the 3.  Kings course did have one cool short 4, but it's a simple routing without much pizzazz and only mountain views.

My completely subjective rankings of courses I've played
1) Mauna Lani South

2) Mauna Lani North

3) Mauna Kea (great, but too hard for a rusty Iowan on vacation)

4) Hapuna

5) Makani

6) Waikoloa Beach/Kings

• Like 1

4U - Hogan UiHi

• 3 weeks later...

I will be staying at the Fairmont at the end of the month and can probably play 4 days. 
There’s a 3 day unlimited golf special at the Mauna Lani. 

Should I play Mauna Lani (N/S) 3x plus Mauna Kea or play 1 time each at the Mauna Lani North/South, Mauna Kea and another course (maybe Hapuna)? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PearSorbet17 said:

I will be staying at the Fairmont at the end of the month and can probably play 4 days. 

Should I play Mauna Lani (N/S) 3x plus Mauna Kea or play 1 time each at the Mauna Lani North/South, Mauna Kea and another course (maybe Hapuna)? 

I'm staying at Fairmont Orchid first week of June and trying to figure out the best place to play. Probably only have 2 rounds, thinking Muana Lani North and South. 

Titleist TSR3 (8*) w/ AD-DI 6x

Titleist TSi3 (15*) w/ AD-DI 8x

Titleist TSR3 (19*) w/ AD-DI Hybird 85x 

Titleist TS3 (21*) w/ AD-DI Hybrid 85x

T100S 5-PW w/ PX LZ 6.0 Blackout

Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks 50F-54D-60T w/ TT DG S400

Toulon First Run San Diego w/ KBS TourGPS

22 hours ago, PearSorbet17 said:

Where were you able to fins the 3 day unlimited special? 

2 hours ago, PearSorbet17 said:

On the Mauna Lani booking site. Also called them and they let me booked my 3 rounds ahead. $629 not bad!

Yea that's a great deal! I'm going around same time accompanying my wife on a work trip. I think we are already playing the North course twice for an outing, but wonder if I can get that package worked in to get to play the others

On 4/10/2023 at 10:14 AM, PearSorbet17 said:

I'd personally skip Hapuna, but the views there are great too.  The course just isn't as memorable as the other three you mentioned.

4U - Hogan UiHi

8 minutes ago, Lexicographer said:

I'd personally skip Hapuna, but the views there are great too.  The course just isn't as memorable as the other three you mentioned.

Ok I thought so too from the reviews

so my itinerary:

4/22 Mauna Lani South and replay

4/23 Mauna Lani North and replay

4/24 Mauna Kea

4/25 Mauna Lani South and Mauna Lani North 

On 4/11/2023 at 4:10 PM, PearSorbet17 said:

Ok I thought so too from the reviews

so my itinerary:

4/22 Mauna Lani South and replay

4/23 Mauna Lani North and replay

4/24 Mauna Kea

4/25 Mauna Lani South and Mauna Lani North 

Nice bunch of fee times you have there.  Be warned, the Mauna Lani courses can occasionally get brutally slow in the afternoons (novice golfers looking for balls in the lava, etc.), and Mauna Kea will genuinely test your game, especially if the wind is up.  

On 4/18/2023 at 10:40 AM, TheChippinChirper said:

Heading to the Big Island to stay at the Fairmont Orchid next week. Will be my first time in Hawaii. Besides for the golf any tips or suggestions on what to do or where to eat while out there? 

I will be there from tomorrow till the 26th. Planning on eating at Merriman’s Waimea and Forc. (For now) 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 12:40 PM, TheChippinChirper said:

Heading to the Big Island to stay at the Fairmont Orchid next week. Will be my first time in Hawaii. Besides for the golf any tips or suggestions on what to do or where to eat while out there? 

Go the volcano national park, go to Mauna Kea summit for stargazing(truly amazing), and Check out the southern part of the island, it’s a haul and driving that much sucks, but it is wonderful.

i second Merrimans, also try Manta or Browns, skip Canoe.  Fish and Hog in Waimea is good.  Go to a beach, any beach, and bring snorkel kit(won’t be disappointed).  Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAT GOLFER said:

Go the volcano national park, go to Mauna Kea summit for stargazing(truly amazing), and Check out the southern part of the island, it’s a haul and driving that much sucks, but it is wonderful.

i second Merrimans, also try Manta or Browns, skip Canoe.  Fish and Hog in Waimea is good.  Go to a beach, any beach, and bring snorkel kit(won’t be disappointed).  Enjoy!

Merrimans is very good and I would skip Canoe House too, ever since Auberge took over the resort has lost it's Ohana (family) as my wife and I still know employees that work at the resort and ex-employees. Browns is very good and I'd recommend Napua their food is really good and not too far from the Fairmont, during the day it's gated although you could walk to the restaurant during the day from the Mauna Lani. In front of the restaurant there's a small beach protected by a cove and you could snorkle or swim. If you like pancakes Hawaiian Style Cafe has monster pancakes and it's located in Waimea the same as Merrimans. On the drive upto Waimea you'll be able to see catus growing on the right side of the road in some fields. The Blue Dragon isn't too bad and they have live entertainment. We've stayed on the Kohala Coast more than 20 times and there's too many restaurants to name that I'd recommend.

DSC04996.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 12:40 PM, TheChippinChirper said:

We've been to the Big Island many times, but just did the Manta Ray night snorkel for the first time this year.  Amazing.  Highly recommend.  We booked through SeaQuest Hawaii.  Definitely try to go out of Keahou harbor, as the boat ride is like a few hundred yards.  All other suggestions above are spot on.  I think it's worth going to Hilo for a day.  Hawaii Tropical Bioreserve and Garden is cool.  HVNP is a must if you haven't been.  Drive Chain of Craters road all the way if its open.  Our favorite beach is Hapuna.  Simple to park.  Soft sand.  Not rocky.

• Like 1

4U - Hogan UiHi

On 4/20/2023 at 2:19 PM, PearSorbet17 said:

I will be there from tomorrow till the 26th. Planning on eating at Merriman’s Waimea and Forc. (For now) 

IMO Merriman’s is overrated and normally crowded. Forc is not. Saturday is market day, which is a good one, though it closes early. You might try Makani if you’re in that area.

It’s in sharp contrast to the beach resort courses in views, style, and cost. It might fill some of the Nanea cravings.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

On 4/21/2023 at 7:59 AM, Lexicographer said:

We've been to the Big Island many times, but just did the Manta Ray night snorkel for the first time this year.  Amazing.  Highly recommend.  We booked through SeaQuest Hawaii.  Definitely try to go out of Keahou harbor, as the boat ride is like a few hundred yards.  All other suggestions above are spot on.  I think it's worth going to Hilo for a day.  Hawaii Tropical Bioreserve and Garden is cool.  HVNP is a must if you haven't been.  Drive Chain of Craters road all the way if its open.  Our favorite beach is Hapuna.  Simple to park.  Soft sand.  Not rocky.

Orchid is our favorite hotel, enjoy the lagoon...

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

Just got back from my trip. Stayed at the Fairmont Orchid and had $150 daily credit for booking through Costco travel so I was able to use that resort credit on golf at Mauna Lani instead of on expensive hotel food!

4/22: Mauna Lani South (they were going to close for aerification on Monday so I didn’t do the 3 day package). Absolutely gorgeous course. Was able to go out on my own and play in under 2.5 hours. 

4/23: Mauna Lani North. Was first out and played solo so finished in 2 hours at 9 am. Not as beautiful as the south IMO but I guess the layout is more interesting. Overcast so wasn’t able to take nice pics

4/23: Malakei. $44 special on TeeOff. Finished my round too early so had the entire day open. There was rain in the area in so not a lot of ppl on course. Vastly different from the courses on the coast!

4/24: Hapuna. $69 tee off special. First couple of holes were meh but some beautiful holes later. Shot my best score of the trip on the hardest course by rating. Fairways not as lush as Mauna Lani but greens were good. 

4/25. Mauna Kea. Seems like every green is elevated!  Beautiful course and views. Greens were not as nice as the other courses. TeeOff special, less than $170

4/26. Mauna Lani north. Back on this course since I had resort credit from the Fairmont left and I was able to request late checkout. 2nd out after a single that I didn’t see the entire time and finished in 2.5 hours. Bright and sunny unlike my first round here so took tons of pics. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I played a couple of rounds at Mauna Kea last week.   It is a fun, challenging track, and is tight in some areas, some areas quite forgiving.   The first day the wind was high (20mph +/-) and it was hard to judge shots......must have had 4 approach shots over the green, and a couple of them short.  The following day the breezes were light, and it played much easier.   In my opinion the course is well maintained, with the exception of the bunkers, which are quite inconsistent.  Volcanic pebbles mixed in with the sand on several bunkers, some hard packed sand, some softer. 

There are a few stunning holes with great views (like hole #3, with a forced carry over water).   

• Like 1