2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Okay, feel this needs said once again. All else being equal, launch and spin will always go together. A shaft cannot create polar opposites(I.E. spin moves opposite of launch angle) by itself through a bend profile. If a shaft increases launch angle, it increases spin...and vice versa. Softer shafts also do not "LAG" in a golf swing at impact. A softer shaft will increase the lead bend at impact for the late release player, they do not lag behind to create a lower launch. Shafts do not work that way. Even if they did, there would be a decrease in dynamic loft, and therefor a decrease in both the launch angle and spin. With all else being equal, depending on the players release, you will either see an increase in the shaft lead bend which will increase the launch angle(and increase spin as a result) or there will effectively be no change. The only way you will see a difference where spin moves opposite of launch is if the shaft alters the players dynamic delivery numbers(I.E. dynamic loft, launch angle, spin loft, etc), but it's not in the ability of the shaft by itself to do so. And how each person reacts is going to be different and dependent on the individual.

Sorry, merely a pet peeve of mine but there is some misinformation being pushed out there about what a shaft alone can/cannot actually create due to it's bending during the swing.

Thanks for the lesson Mr. Robot. I suggest you're on the wrong website if you want to keep blah blah blahing about how you can't offer any suggestion without physically standing next to a person hit balls with a LM telling you all their numbers. This is an internet forum, not a fitting studio. A feel golfer will talk about how a club feels and try to relate that to how it performs using words over a computer. Robots talk about what it should be doing or what "science" tells them it will do and think it is black and white. But all golfers are different and variables are all different and how one golfer reacts to feel, weight, shaft profile etc is different than the another. As I said, the golfer may change how they swing if the head is being delivered to the ball differently than they are used to. Tour 130 I swing more level and sweep the ball, I do this because the Tour130 has a softer tip and creates high enough launch angle that I don't need to dig down. Tour125 I dig a little more for the ball and generate more spin because I have more confidence that I can make a descending blow and the ball won't balloon. X100 I slow my transition at the top and set a milisecond longer because to me X100 feels like it jerks too much with my faster tempo. KBS Tour I try not to grip as firm with my right hand because it feels too light to me and I find myself flipping it fast and hooking too many shots. All in the attempt to hit the ball straight and through the window I consider optimal trajectory to my eye.

No matter what your pencil and paper will tell you, it doesn't always work how you want it to. Stiffer doesn't always mean right or lower. Softer doesn't always mean more left or higher. There are so many variables one can really only try to guide people along. In all of my suggestions I almost always add that real world testing should be done if possible and results may vary. The golfer makes the difference but the shaft and how it feels, the weight, etc. will change the amateur players swing. They will try to swing differently to recreate the feel of a well struck shot. Tour players are disciplined enough to keep their same swing and arrive at a conclusion much faster if the shaft/club works for them or not. They aren't changing, they want the club to change for them. Amateurs, I feel are the opposite and will change to try to make a club work. That is my opinion, you can disagree, that is fine.

However, yes, a shaft will lag/load during the swing and depending when the player releases or how strong they and the shaft cpm's the shaft load will release at some point. Whether that happens to be before impact, at impact, after impact I don't know, you don't know, they may not know. But it has to be at some point (unless you're using rebar and you can't bench press a pencil.)It also changes how the club and ball interact and therefore how the ball will fly. Shaft companies are able to play with profiles more now than ever and your old school way of thinking needs to change. Tell me when before did you have a shaft that had a super stiff butt and mid section with a very soft tip? Or when you had a very soft butt section with a very stiff middle and tip section? Up until maybe 10 years ago there was really only Dynamic Golf and Rifle. And that was two profiles. Steel can now do what Graphite has been doing for years which is to really start tweaking the profiles and weight distributions of the shaft. Are the changes earth shattering? Will it adjust spin by 1000's of RPM's? Probably not. But it feels different and how you react to that may make all the difference. Even if the numbers don't change.

Thanks for your commentary. Go back to the Instruction Forum black hole where you came from. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Okay, feel this needs said once again. All else being equal, launch and spin will always go together. A shaft cannot create polar opposites(I.E. spin moves opposite of launch angle) by itself through a bend profile. If a shaft increases launch angle, it increases spin...and vice versa. Softer shafts also do not "LAG" in a golf swing at impact. A softer shaft will increase the lead bend at impact for the late release player, they do not lag behind to create a lower launch. Shafts do not work that way. Even if they did, there would be a decrease in dynamic loft, and therefor a decrease in both the launch angle and spin. With all else being equal, depending on the players release, you will either see an increase in the shaft lead bend which will increase the launch angle(and increase spin as a result) or there will effectively be no change. The only way you will see a difference where spin moves opposite of launch is if the shaft alters the players dynamic delivery numbers(I.E. dynamic loft, launch angle, spin loft, etc), but it's not in the ability of the shaft by itself to do so. And how each person reacts is going to be different and dependent on the individual.

Sorry, merely a pet peeve of mine but there is some misinformation being pushed out there about what a shaft alone can/cannot actually create due to it's bending during the swing.

Thanks for the lesson Mr. Robot. I suggest you're on the wrong website if you want to keep blah blah blahing about how you can't offer any suggestion without physically standing next to a person hit balls with a LM telling you all their numbers. This is an internet forum, not a fitting studio. A feel golfer will talk about how a club feels and try to relate that to how it performs using words over a computer. Robots talk about what it should be doing or what "science" tells them it will do and think it is black and white. But all golfers are different and variables are all different and how one golfer reacts to feel, weight, shaft profile etc is different than the another. As I said, the golfer may change how they swing if the head is being delivered to the ball differently than they are used to. Tour 130 I swing more level and sweep the ball, I do this because the Tour130 has a softer tip and creates high enough launch angle that I don't need to dig down. Tour125 I dig a little more for the ball and generate more spin because I have more confidence that I can make a descending blow and the ball won't balloon. X100 I slow my transition at the top and set a milisecond longer because to me X100 feels like it jerks too much with my faster tempo. KBS Tour I try not to grip as firm with my right hand because it feels too light to me and I find myself flipping it fast and hooking too many shots. All in the attempt to hit the ball straight and through the window I consider optimal trajectory to my eye.

No matter what your pencil and paper will tell you, it doesn't always work how you want it to. Stiffer doesn't always mean right or lower. Softer doesn't always mean more left or higher. There are so many variables one can really only try to guide people along. In all of my suggestions I almost always add that real world testing should be done if possible and results may vary. The golfer makes the difference but the shaft and how it feels, the weight, etc. will change the amateur players swing. They will try to swing differently to recreate the feel of a well struck shot. Tour players are disciplined enough to keep their same swing and arrive at a conclusion much faster if the shaft/club works for them or not. They aren't changing, they want the club to change for them. Amateurs, I feel are the opposite and will change to try to make a club work. That is my opinion, you can disagree, that is fine.

However, yes, a shaft will lag/load during the swing and depending when the player releases or how strong they and the shaft cpm's the shaft load will release at some point. Whether that happens to be before impact, at impact, after impact I don't know, you don't know, they may not know. But it has to be at some point (unless you're using rebar and you can't bench press a pencil.)It also changes how the club and ball interact and therefore how the ball will fly. Shaft companies are able to play with profiles more now than ever and your old school way of thinking needs to change. Tell me when before did you have a shaft that had a super stiff butt and mid section with a very soft tip? Or when you had a very soft butt section with a very stiff middle and tip section? Up until maybe 10 years ago there was really only Dynamic Golf and Rifle. And that was two profiles. Steel can now do what Graphite has been doing for years which is to really start tweaking the profiles and weight distributions of the shaft. Are the changes earth shattering? Will it adjust spin by 1000's of RPM's? Probably not. But it feels different and how you react to that may make all the difference. Even if the numbers don't change.

Thanks for your commentary. Go back to the Instruction Forum black hole where you came from. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Victory is awarded to markheardjr

Most informative post EVER on golfwrx.....great write-up

And don't you think this is exactly what I stated in my post? Perhaps you should reread as opposed to resorting to your "blah blah blah"?

(ie, it will kick more and release the clubface up rather than the clubface lagging behind forcing a more descending blow.)

How exactly, is this taking place? Please elaborate

You simply can't load the shaft and at impact the true loft takes over and launches high

What exactly is true loft? Is there fake loft? There again, in terms of loft at impact...there is lead bend...lot lag.

Old school way? As opposed to your way? Or should I stick with what the shaft designers and those that do the research tell us?

If you do not know(your words, not mine), then why are you stating that a club heads can lag behind? Is that merely just a guess you are trying to present as something that happens? It has to be something, considering you have used it as an example in a cause and effect in your posts. Please clarify.

We can go all day.....

There again...physics...and science...

I suggest some reading...

http://www.tutelman....s/ShaftLab3.php

http://researchrepos..._Golf_Shaft.pdf

So...I think we pretty much do know. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good debate.

So...I didn't quote your post initially but made my OP in order to clarify some things that were being conveyed in previous posts(not just yours) that are not what actually happens. I did so on purpose, but if you want to take offense to it, by all means, it's your given right. But you can continue to not correctly understand what takes place or do the reading and educate yourself...your choice...but the links are there.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

When did this forum turn into puffing chests? I enjoy reading new posts everyday to see what's up with Nippon offerings/fittings. Take debates somewhere else and let's get back on track with all that is Nippon!!

BTW my Modus 105 X HS once is turning out to be REALLY good. great feel and much better launch window than previous Modus 120 X. I suppose this concept for me is similar to what Karsten Solhiem prescribed many moons ago...lightweight and stiff!

TSR3 10º Driver @ 9.25º - LinQ M40X Blue 6F5     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb @ 19º - LinQ M40X White Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

120 is softer and creates a lower launch and higher spin condition for a low-initial then rising shot shape. You could try to go up to a 120X and see if that helps combat the spin or you can try something like a 125 Stiff which may help you deliver the clubface at a better angle to decrease spin. (ie, it will kick more and release the clubface up rather than the clubface lagging behind forcing a more descending blow.) Chances are you're angle of attack is too steep and is exacerbated by the soft butt section of the 120.

Agree 100%

120 "feels" pretty good and has been working quite well in calm conditions. I've gained a full club in carry distance (not sure if the shaft has anything to do with it) with drop and stop performance.

However, I recently played a couple rounds with some wind and it's a bit of a different story. Although shots were not overly ballooning, a few good strikes into the wind came up surprisingly short. The shots just didn't turn out the way I'd expected. I'm guessing that even though it didn't look like it, the shots still lost their forward momentum and just kept climbing because of too much spin relative to the headwind.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

When did this forum turn into puffing chests? I enjoy reading new posts everyday to see what's up with Nippon offerings/fittings. Take debates somewhere else and let's get back on track with all that is Nippon!!

BTW my Modus 105 X HS once is turning out to be REALLY good. great feel and much better launch window than previous Modus 120 X. I suppose this concept for me is similar to what Karsten Solhiem prescribed many moons ago...lightweight and stiff!

Was it a hard transition weight wise from the 120x to the 105x? I am thinking of going with the 105x HS once from the x100's, as the weight of the x100's are getting to me.

Im a former C Taper user and even though I have not hit them yet went with the Modus3 130's in S. I have a later release and even with my higher swing speed can go a little softer in the shaft. Looking at the Nippon site though I see conflicting information. They recommend the 130 for a late release but it says the designed trajectory and spin are both high yet in the trajectory chart it shows the 130 as having the highest trajectory but low spin.

I guess I wont know till I hit them but if they don't fit then oh well. Ill go back to the C Taper or maybe give the 125's possibly even the 105's a shot.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

blah blah blah

It's like trying to teach Sheldon Cooper about sarcasm. You just don't get it. You speak a different language. That's fine. I'll offer you a quote from one of your favorite guys to quote, Tutleman says, "Expecting a right-hand slap or late push to give more distance does not have any basis in physics. We know that now. But there is a substantial body of anecdotal evidence that says it works."

Science isn't always right and can't always be used to prove something 100%. You need to get out in the world and experience it. Stop looking at Wishon charts, go hit the stuff for yourself! His charts are just lines on graph. It says nothing to how the differences are perceived by people. It doesn't zoom in on tip, middle and butt sections and apply some kind of grading scale that relates to how much of the difference a person can perceive when hitting. DG R300 and Nippon Tour120X are not the same shaft. These charts are almost always used just to say "Well, they look really close, so there is no difference." I just ignore most of the posts about his charts. I much rather go read www.golfshaftreviews.info because it reads like it is written by a golfer. Not an engineer looking to market science proven wares to other engineers.

So throw all your science at me you want. I'm not going to listen. Even the scientists can't agree on what they are studying and the good ones recognize that already.

Im a former C Taper user and even though I have not hit them yet went with the Modus3 130's in S. I have a later release and even with my higher swing speed can go a little softer in the shaft. Looking at the Nippon site though I see conflicting information. They recommend the 130 for a late release but it says the designed trajectory and spin are both high yet in the trajectory chart it shows the 130 as having the highest trajectory but low spin.

I guess I wont know till I hit them but if they don't fit then oh well. Ill go back to the C Taper or maybe give the 125's possibly even the 105's a shot.

Golfrnut caveat: uneducated no-sciency answer coming....

Tour130 is rather stiff shaft over the entire length of the shaft, only the tip section is soft. So the tip releases and creates a higher launch angle however the overall stiffness of the shaft creates a lower spin. So you get a higher flatter arc. This was proven over testing with PGA Tour players on trackman. Higher launch and lower spin. Let me ask a question though, if you can have low spin and low launch and you can also have low launch with high spin (very visible balloon shots.) Then why can't you have high launch with high spin and high launch with low spin??

Every shaft company has a chart like this one, I'm showing KBS for example. Tour130 is similar to KBS TourV. It is more mid launch and low spin. i get it, most shaft charts show a trend of an upward right 45° diagonal. Low launch usually means low spin, high launch usually means high spin. However, profiles can be tweaked to move the needle one way or the other so you get shafts like the TourV which has the same spin as Ctaper but slightly higher launch.

ctaperChart.png

Tour 130 for me was higher launch and mid spin. No ballooning though which would have been a deal breaker. Tour125 for me is more low/mid-launch and mid-spin. I have rarely seen a ballooning shot with the 125 and usually it is when I get too steep and chop down on the ball and flip it. But I think the balloon with the 125 is more noticeable since the flight is lower so you can see the upward curve.

With the 125's stiffer tip I can trap the ball and hit it lower without generating balloon spin. Tour130 I wasn't able to trap the ball as easily or manipulate trajectory as easily. With the tip being softer I wasn't as comfortable hitting down on a ball it kind of felt a bit mushy. But I loved the feel of the weight and the mild counter balance helped me avoid getting stuck with my late release. So depends what you are looking to do. As always, testing outdoors is the best way.

Yeah I will have to see results once I get them on course but if you're correct in your assessment I think they should work out just fine. I also think I am good enough to control spin and launch when I need to.

I played x100's forever and actually would have never known I had a spin issue with them till I got on a trackman. Switching out for a C Taper S in the same head dropped my spin by almost 1000 RPM across the board, so I cant attribute it all the the shaft since I changed flex as well. I guess where it really hurt me with the x100's was on poorly struck shots. Anything hit solid regardless of what shot I was trying to hit stayed on line and on the trajectory I wanted.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Mark, I need a little assistance? I played breifly last year the 120 in a stiff. I loved the feel dispersion but spun the irons too much? THe p[roblem is my 7i ss is only 80mph? Can you point me in the right direction? Thank you as always...

What shaft did you use before and did you have spin issues before?

Its hard to tell without more info. Speed alone isn't the most important thing. A very aggressive transition at 80mph might need an X. While a wide-arc sweeping 80mph with a defined set at the top and pause may only require R flex.

120 is softer and creates a lower launch and higher spin condition for a low-initial then rising shot shape. You could try to go up to a 120X and see if that helps combat the spin or you can try something like a 125 Stiff which may help you deliver the clubface at a better angle to decrease spin. (ie, it will kick more and release the clubface up rather than the clubface lagging behind forcing a more descending blow.) Chances are you're angle of attack is too steep and is exacerbated by the soft butt section of the 120.

No very much a sweeper. I switched to the i95's "S" and I am only spinning the 7 iron 6000, that is what is so strange to me. I tried the KBS V "S" on trakcman and I was only spinning that one 5600 to 6000. It could be that I spin the 120 "s" perfect 7000 but it just looks to spinny for me. I have a smooth transition and I am a +3 handicap. Do we have a "Nippon" chart for the different model in terms of launch and spin by chance?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

blah blah blah
It's like trying to teach Sheldon Cooper about sarcasm. You just don't get it. You speak a different language. That's fine. I'll offer you a quote from one of your favorite guys to quote, Tutleman says, "Expecting a right-hand slap or late push to give more distance does not have any basis in physics. We know that now. But there is a substantial body of anecdotal evidence that says it works." Science isn't always right and can't always be used to prove something 100%. You need to get out in the world and experience it. Stop looking at Wishon charts, go hit the stuff for yourself! His charts are just lines on graph. It says nothing to how the differences are perceived by people. It doesn't zoom in on tip, middle and butt sections and apply some kind of grading scale that relates to how much of the difference a person can perceive when hitting. DG R300 and Nippon Tour120X are not the same shaft. These charts are almost always used just to say "Well, they look really close, so there is no difference." I just ignore most of the posts about his charts. I much rather go read www.golfshaftreviews.info because it reads like it is written by a golfer. Not an engineer looking to market science proven wares to other engineers. So throw all your science at me you want. I'm not going to listen. Even the scientists can't agree on what they are studying and the good ones recognize that already.

How old are you?!? Really?!?

You are not doing yourself any favors by continuing to post....

Science isn't right? But your physics that you can't explain to anyone are? Want me to direct you to a post directly where the folks from True Temper comment on the physics of launch and spin? But they are wrong too? They don't live in the real world?

Wishon compared to the guy from golfshaftreviews? You mean Russ Ryden? LOL. The guy that will tell you the same thing? Perhaps you should do some research on who he is, because obviously you have no idea.

You could have at least entertained me and answered the questions I asked you to explain since your knowledge, according to you, far outweighs everyone else. But I also understand that you can't....

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Was it a hard transition weight wise from the 120x to the 105x? I am thinking of going with the 105x HS once from the x100's, as the weight of the x100's are getting to me.

Not really. The Modus 120 is a very different feeling shaft I feel the 105 balance is more like the Dynamic ahold. I've got the 105 shafted from Titleist in 716 AP2's. After a short time tinkering I have them SW'd at D1. To be honest with the stiffness and weight I don't think you'll miss X1's.

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

Pro V1 - Yellow

Not really. The Modus 120 is a very different feeling shaft I feel the 105 balance is more like the Dynamic ahold. I've got the 105 shafted from Titleist in 716 AP2's. After a short time tinkering I have them SW'd at D1. To be honest with the stiffness and weight I don't think you'll miss X1's.

Thanks, just ordered 3 of the 105x's to test. Based on everything I've read I'm looking forward to playing them.

Just ordered a set of 105's to install in 690.mb's. I have tested and played the 125X, and 2t15 X and noticed a difference in feel. The 125X performed better for me regarding timing and transition enough the profile was said to be similar. I had my best results with a set of st proto's in a set of MP68's so I'm looking to see if the 105 matches or surpasses that experience coming from the ST Prototype. My current irons have TT AMT and I'm noticing inconsistency using long irons vs short irons in ball flight. I was sold on the AMT to get launch higher in the long irons with added spin. What I'm finding is the launch is higher but my release is miss timed. It's like my mind can't adjust to the weight differences on the course. ST Prototypes were more consistent throughout the set but are harder to find at a decent price. I'm also wonder about the modification to the profile from the prototype vs what was released to the public.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

Just shafted up some TVD's with 115 Wedge shafts. They feel lighter and more flexible than I was expecting. I am coming from KBS Hi-Rev S. I was assuming that the 115 was more for a stiff iron player. Maybe the 125 are more like an S400? Anybody hit either? Any thoughts?

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

Just shafted up some TVD's with 115 Wedge shafts. They feel lighter and more flexible than I was expecting. I am coming from KBS Hi-Rev S. I was assuming that the 115 was more for a stiff iron player. Maybe the 125 are more like an S400? Anybody hit either? Any thoughts?

The 125 wedge shaft is much like a S400 IMO. Just never liked the feel of the Modus wedge specific shafts. I've stuck to DG's in these clubs only.

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

Pro V1 - Yellow

The 125 wedge shaft is much like a S400 IMO. Just never liked the feel of the Modus wedge specific shafts. I've stuck to DG's in these clubs only.

I don't care too much for the modus wedge shafts. The 115's felt to snappy/poppy (interpret that however you must). I went back to s400 as there isn't an equivalent IMO.

@therealping

Just got a couple of wedges with these in them - heard good things about the WV series just wondering if there was anything different on the 'Tour Only' version or are they just weight sorted for tighter tolerances like the Tour Issue DGs?

SIM2 9.0 - Black Tie 8M3 X
16.5* TS3 - Tensei Blue 70X
SIM2 Max hyrbid  21*- Tensei Blue 70X
Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 3 130x
MG2 50, 54 and 58 hi toe
Machine Fat Back 38"
TP5X

This is a great thread and I was about to purchase a set of C-Taper 130x's until I read the majority of this thread. Now I think I might have to try the 125x's first.

Coming from the x100's and Apollo CWS x-stiff, would the 125x's straight in be a good fit?

You could go 125X hard-stepped if you want to tighten it up a little bit. The 125 has a nice pronounced kick with the softer middle. If you like the more solid feel of the X100 hardstepping, ie using 37" shafts for both PW & 9i and then building up from there, would be the way to go for stronger X100 users. If X100 was maybe a touch firm for you, 125X straight in might be better for a little softer/smoother feel.

Mark is Money right there.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

This is a great thread and I was about to purchase a set of C-Taper 130x's until I read the majority of this thread. Now I think I might have to try the 125x's first.

Coming from the x100's and Apollo CWS x-stiff, would the 125x's straight in be a good fit?

You could go 125X hard-stepped if you want to tighten it up a little bit. The 125 has a nice pronounced kick with the softer middle. If you like the more solid feel of the X100 hardstepping, ie using 37" shafts for both PW & 9i and then building up from there, would be the way to go for stronger X100 users. If X100 was maybe a touch firm for you, 125X straight in might be better for a little softer/smoother feel.

I agree! I went ahead and bought 3 of the 105x shafts and will hard step them once. I want to go lighter as elbow issues have started popping up. The 105's should arrive Tuesday and I'll install them. Hopefully get to hit them next Thursday.

I agree! I went ahead and bought 3 of the 105x shafts and will hard step them once. I want to go lighter as elbow issues have started popping up. The 105's should arrive Tuesday and I'll install them. Hopefully get to hit them next Thursday.

Please let me know what you think after doing this. I still haven't finalized my shafts yet....wondering about lighter hardstepped as well...

I hit about a half bucket yesterday with 6 irons in the 125x and 130x ss. Into the wind. No ballooning at all. I felt like I got pretty similar distance, and it was like, wow I like the 125, no wait I like the 130, well maybe the 125, well now I need more time...130x ss feels firmer overall than 125x, and feels like it would be tighter. 125x I felt like I could shape it left or right easier.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the wedges. I've got the 130's in stuff in my irons. X flex in woods but currently have c taper s's in my wedges. May just go with the 139's in wedges also but am curious about the wedge shafts. Probably the 115's as I never really got along with s400's in my wedges and I think it was a weight thing.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Please let me know what you think after doing this. I still haven't finalized my shafts yet....wondering about lighter hardstepped as well...

I hit about a half bucket yesterday with 6 irons in the 125x and 130x ss. Into the wind. No ballooning at all. I felt like I got pretty similar distance, and it was like, wow I like the 125, no wait I like the 130, well maybe the 125, well now I need more time...130x ss feels firmer overall than 125x, and feels like it would be tighter. 125x I felt like I could shape it left or right easier.

I looking forward to trying these shafts. I'll report back once I hit them

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the wedges. I've got the 130's in stuff in my irons. X flex in woods but currently have c taper s's in my wedges. May just go with the 139's in wedges also but am curious about the wedge shafts. Probably the 115's as I never really got along with s400's in my wedges and I think it was a weight thing.

Wedge shafts seem to be subject to personal preference. How hard you like to swing with them, and how flexible you like them, and if you are looking for more or less spin, trajectory, etc. So what are you looking for compared to what you are playing now?

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Honestly I like the c tapers would like a little more feel though, so if I was to swap out for Nippons I'd be looking for something I could flight down and playing in the south/mid-Atlantic where it's generally soft reducing spin is always a goal.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY