Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Scotty lost their appeal about 6 years ago. To me, their new stuff is the equivalent to a bedazzled denim jacket. Their old stuff is choice.

Can't say I've ever followed Japanese putters. I really like Big's Masda, but blade putters aren't really my thing. Masda makes a hybrid mallet/blade somewhat like Betti's QB8 this year, but when I emailed Masda they pretty much said custom order and no international sales. Oh well. I'll keep stroking my Piretti Matera flow neck.

This is for not just KC, but any one from the family here. If anyone really wants something like that, I am more than happy to help a brother out and find something on yahoo auction and get it here for them. You will get a deal on it initially then pay for the fee and shipping twice, but if anyone wants something that is really JDM, obviously I would need the money for it in paypal first, but I would be happy to use my account to get it or teach you how ti set up your own proxy and do it.....Which is the way to go, except once you have access to Yahoo Japan it can be dangerous for your wallet LOL.

Also NCN, if you decide to get rid of that weapon to win, and don't mind shipping it, I will happily pay you 20,000Yen and whatever the EMS is. I like that style A LOT and the 17,000 yen you paid at the shop is a score, they usually are the answer model which doesn't move me and are 24,000-35,000 yen from what I have seen.

This post is kind of related to the blades topic...................I'm one of those guys who likes to play a single ball, regardless of what it is, to remove a performance variable, and have been playing the ProV1x for the last 6+ years. In search of better "feel", I moved to the Srixon Zstar. I have to say I'm quite pleased, as this ball gives me a softer/stickier feeling off all my clubs. In a way, it makes my 945s feel more like my Tourstage 909s, which had to best feeling of any iron I've hit. Performance wise, they're similar and I'll just adjust to them. Anyone else try a softer ball because of feel alone?

I am surprisingly not picky with balls, just has to be urethane. Yesterday I did start with a top flite gamer and switched to a Pro V after like 8, the feel off the irons was note worthy, but not as much as wedge play. That is where cheap balls really do start costing shots, especially with what you are used to expecting on release and grab etc. After a 7 iron, I can be indifferent to most balls.

This post is kind of related to the blades topic...................I'm one of those guys who likes to play a single ball, regardless of what it is, to remove a performance variable, and have been playing the ProV1x for the last 6+ years. In search of better "feel", I moved to the Srixon Zstar. I have to say I'm quite pleased, as this ball gives me a softer/stickier feeling off all my clubs. In a way, it makes my 945s feel more like my Tourstage 909s, which had to best feeling of any iron I've hit. Performance wise, they're similar and I'll just adjust to them. Anyone else try a softer ball because of feel alone?

Just chiming in to say I like the Zstars a lot, both types.

Biggie I am 100% with you on the technical insignificance of toe vs face balance and also the "blades" mentality. Give me a month to practice with a blade putter and I'll bet that I can game it as well as my Bosa (aka 'RainBow').

The velocity of a putter head is sooo slow and so if your hands can't adjust to slight differences in head balance and total weight, then I'm sorry but you are making a psychological excuse rather than a technical one. I know I said I like toe balance and a heavy putter but honestly I care much more about the length (33" to 34" always) and that the face angle is square to the flat grip front. Everything else is minutia details.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Also NCN, if you decide to get rid of that weapon to win, and don't mind shipping it, I will happily pay you 20,000Yen and whatever the EMS is. I like that style A LOT and the 17,000 yen you paid at the shop is a score, they usually are the answer model which doesn't move me and are 24,000-35,000 yen from what I have seen.

I don't think the people at the shop quite knew what they had. It has an Akira shaft in it, so the guy selling it to me thought it was reshafted and was trying to talk me out of buying it! He telling me not to splurge on it, and I was thinking, "no, I want it, I like it, and I have a pretty good idea that it's legit."

You have to remember, I am not a putter 'ho. I just liked the putter, and I knew a bit about Masda/Masuda because I looked the company up after buying a set of Masda irons.

As for styles of putters, I am coming to the following realization. My putting style is a bit wristy (think Bobby Jones, only without any of the talent or the plus fours. Oh, and no centre parting. So I have that going for me), and I have to embrace that. Rather than trying to keep my wrists quiet, I have to accept that I like to get a bit wristy, and find putters that are good with that. That counts out most mallets, I think. Anser style is borderline. I have a Ping Dalehead reproduction that actually works for me, but I'm not sure why. The B60 went left for me if I putted with my natural stroke. I have a Nike Tiempo (Anser style) with a SuperStroke 3.0 on it that is pretty good for me, but I think it's because the thick grip keeps my wrist quiet. It also dampens feel a fair bit, but I am hanging on to this putter because it has produced results for me.

The Odyssey #9 ProType I was looking at today was no good because it was too heavy. With a wristy style, a 350g head is hard work. I added a lot of weight to several of my putters thinking it would be good for fast greens, but when I sat down at looked at results, I was doing better with lighter putters.

In other words, I am learning to accept my putting stroke, which by today's standards is probably flawed.

But hey, if it goes in the hole, I'm good :D

I am surprisingly not picky with balls, just has to be urethane. Yesterday I did start with a top flite gamer and switched to a Pro V after like 8, the feel off the irons was note worthy, but not as much as wedge play. That is where cheap balls really do start costing shots, especially with what you are used to expecting on release and grab etc. After a 7 iron, I can be indifferent to most balls.

Bigmean, if you run out of putters and irons to test, consider testing different balls. It's relatively cheap and can yield a similar performance/feel variable as irons/putters (feel, flight, workability, etc..). Again, not the same, but along the same vein as searching for the perfect MB.

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

Biggie I am 100% with you on the technical insignificance of toe vs face balance and also the "blades" mentality. Give me a month to practice with a blade putter and I'll bet that I can game it as well as my Bosa (aka 'RainBow').

The velocity of a putter head is sooo slow and so if your hands can't adjust to slight differences in head balance and total weight, then I'm sorry but you are making a psychological excuse rather than a technical one. I know I said I like toe balance and a heavy putter but honestly I care much more about the length (33" to 34" always) and that the face angle is square to the flat grip front. Everything else is minutia details.

I'll give you that point about length. Even though I'm pretty tall (over 6'1"), I'll take a 34"shaft over a 35". I'll even take a 33# over a 35#, but it starts to look feel like a lollipop stick then.

Bigmean, if you run out of putters and irons to test, consider testing different balls. It's relatively cheap and can yield a similar performance/feel variable as irons/putters (feel, flight, workability, etc..). Again, not the same, but along the same vein as searching for the perfect MB.

I never consider myself good enough to be able to accurately assess something like that except for feel and shots inside a full 9 iron.

I never consider myself good enough to be able to accurately assess something like that except for feel and shots inside a full 9 iron.

Me neither. Ball striking variables in the longer clubs begins to trump the minutia at that point. But I think assessing feel and short iron and green side performance is adequate. Cool.

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

Me neither. Ball striking variables in the longer clubs begins to trump the minutia at that point. But I think assessing feel and short iron and green side performance is adequate. Cool.

So since I have have never really focused on it, other than knowing a ball sucks or not around greens(usually price related unfortunately) I wonder if hitting and chipping different balls back to back if there really are things I could find tangibly different. Out of curiosity what differences have you seen in testing? Release? Trajectory? Feel?

So since I have have never really focused on it, other than knowing a ball sucks or not around greens(usually price related unfortunately) I wonder if hitting and chipping different balls back to back if there really are things I could find tangibly different. Out of curiosity what differences have you seen in testing? Release? Trajectory? Feel?

This video was interesting:

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

For me, mainly I able to see/assess feel (all clubs) and spin/release (mid/short irons/wedges). I'm able, at times, to feel if a ball balloons too much or has a flatter trajectory, or had too much side spin, but for the most part, it's my swing that controls. It helps that I've had the same driver and hybrids for a while, so I do have a little sense about what the ball is doing with those..........

I played the ProV1x for a long time for two reasons, it seemed to fly the straightest and farthest off my longer clubs, and it spun really well around the greens. It feels good, but that wasn't a priority. These days, I'm not all that concerned about distance, as I'm looking again toward "control" and feel/soul in my shots.

I definitely like the softer ball feel wise, greenside and approach shot spin seems slightly less with the Srixon, but it's something I'll adjust to ( I don't play tour speed greens so there's lots of wiggle room there).

I don't play my MBs over my CBs for any other reason than feel/soul. I won't claim I can work/control the ball with any more control with my MBs. I know the science is there (Deninny), but my skill level negates that for the most part. We all prefer slightly different feel in MBs, so I'm not suggesting playing a softer ball specifically, but playing a ball YOU like the feel of. Moving to a softer (but not too soft) ball is purely because it feels better in my loins. :)

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

Is there anywhere to get custom made blades anymore? Since Scratch/DW is gone

Itobori will accommodate head weight and grind specs as well as head finish. I have it under good authority they are a kyoei blank (KCM?). I can neither confirm nor deny. Oddly enough, they are more expensive on Rakuten than TSG.

Scotty lost their appeal about 6 years ago. To me, their new stuff is the equivalent to a bedazzled denim jacket. Their old stuff is choice.

Can't say I've ever followed Japanese putters. I really like Big's Masda, but blade putters aren't really my thing. Masda makes a hybrid mallet/blade somewhat like Betti's QB8 this year, but when I emailed Masda they pretty much said custom order and no international sales. Oh well. I'll keep stroking my Piretti Matera flow neck.

This is for not just KC, but any one from the family here. If anyone really wants something like that, I am more than happy to help a brother out and find something on yahoo auction and get it here for them. You will get a deal on it initially then pay for the fee and shipping twice, but if anyone wants something that is really JDM, obviously I would need the money for it in paypal first, but I would be happy to use my account to get it or teach you how ti set up your own proxy and do it.....Which is the way to go, except once you have access to Yahoo Japan it can be dangerous for your wallet LOL.

Appreciate it Biggie. If you see a Masda wide blade putter, please let me know.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Custom blades like designed ground up? no one. Custom grinds, you can get overweight heads from Kyoei in excellent metals and headshapes if you want to create a project for yourself. Joe Kwok is a club fitter that I think does that too.

I have talked about this for a while, but I am way serious. I am going to at some point in my life, take some CAD classes in solidworks or something, actually draw and design a putter, and have it made by a capable CNC metal machine company. As you guys know I already do cad/cnc stuff with my company, and this would be way different than the Cad/programs I make, but I know enough about digital drawing/machining to where I think I could execute it. IF 2 or 3 of those come off OK......I have always had the intentions of phase 2 to be a fully milled blade set.........I don't know when I will have the drive or time for this, but it is not as far fetched as it sounds.

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/x478221558

I paid $220 for mine, but it was beat up and rusty and needed to be refinished and even still I had to stop sanding on the sole for weight worries and while it has no dings and looks clean enough, it is a raw gamer for sure. This one looks to be in good shape. I would have been better off with this, but at the time I got mine, they were selling for alot more. Japanese seem to have popularity spurts. There is a buchi 8802 putter I liked, but it retails for like 60,000yen and has many bidders to point of I would just get new if I was over there, because the new buchi putters are popular. I don't speak japanese, but I can follow auction trends and bidding action.

I would also contact fairway golf. at one time they had this putter for sale new for like $400. Keep in mind 30,000 yen is 285 plus about $60 in auction fees and shipping to states, which is why I both try to always multiple ship over here, and get things I can't get on rakuten cheap or here. So net $340, which is still really good, but it needs to be something unavailable to make it better. I will watch it and see if they drop it. ALso, Yahoo auction is notorious for putting up for a price, and leaving that B*tch on there for a year at same price until a buyer comes. They place a fair value on things, and they are not in a hurry to sell. I have been watching the same Modart putter for like over a year and they have dropped it $20 in that time.

Nice looking putter the Epon Zen is, Biggie.

I recently picked up an Odyssey #9 Pro after realising that heel shafted, toe-weighted half mallets suit me the best.

Then I picked up this today:

To help fund it (it wasn't that expensive, but over $100) I sold off a few clubs including my Scotty Newport and Ping B60 BeCu. They were both tough to part with, but I get better results with heel-shafted half-mallets. I like the Wilson 8802 style of putters a lot, but I tend to pull them a bit too much. The toe-weighted half-mallet helps me hit it straight.

lol I have this EXACT same putter but not liking it personally. Lie angle is way too flat for me. Feels like I'm standing 10 miles from the ball

BTW this is the same designer (Yuji Masuda) of Masda golf fame

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Custom blades like designed ground up? no one. Custom grinds, you can get overweight heads from Kyoei in excellent metals and headshapes if you want to create a project for yourself. Joe Kwok is a club fitter that I think does that too.

I have talked about this for a while, but I am way serious. I am going to at some point in my life, take some CAD classes in solidworks or something, actually draw and design a putter, and have it made by a capable CNC metal machine company. As you guys know I already do cad/cnc stuff with my company, and this would be way different than the Cad/programs I make, but I know enough about digital drawing/machining to where I think I could execute it. IF 2 or 3 of those come off OK......I have always had the intentions of phase 2 to be a fully milled blade set.........I don't know when I will have the drive or time for this, but it is not as far fetched as it sounds.

I had the thought of melting down all of the obsolete stainless steel cutlery we have in the kitchen drawer and make a putter to my own design. I even sketched out what I wanted...including selling the design to Mizuno lol:

Radius Classic 8

I am an admitted golf ball snob. Always paid top money for the best of balls even when I completely (not just half) sucked. These days I play premium balls and where I believe they make a difference is their use on fast greens. My home course has greens set at 10 stemp and that is the minimum. Dry & windy, greens they are pool table fast. Top tier just roll better and truer and come off the face of a putter or wedge a lot nicer. Big fan of Pro V1 X, been a fan of Bridgestone's B330S. Otherwise if greens are soft I do not think it makes that much difference.

This video was interesting:

This sums up my thoughts. I am a snob for a premium ball because they all react better in close, but I have never thought more than that about it. I mostly play proV xouts, they are fine.

Love the putter design! Melted down cutlery, why not?

I am going to p,at with some free cad maybe this weekend, I will share with group. I am pretty sure that I need a real high dollar cad to make this though, something that will identify the sweetspot and calculate headweight based on materials. I am not sure any free cad is doing this. I will investigate though.

Nard, I like your idea of a blade iron style blade putter.

I am going to p,at with some free cad maybe this weekend, I will share with group. I am pretty sure that I need a real high dollar cad to make this though, something that will identify the sweetspot and calculate headweight based on materials. I am not sure any free cad is doing this. I will investigate though.

Ha, I like it too......but it's Mahonie's........

Go to a community college, take night class CAD 101, software will be free & you learn how to use it.

Ha, I like it too......but it's Mahonie's........

Go to a community college, take night class CAD 101, software will be free & you learn how to use it.

It's just a development of the 8802 which has been copied by everyone so it's not really mine lol

Radius Classic 8

Damn, you blade nazis all just blend together!!!

Yes, that was my thought. It isn't that easy and may cost a bit more than you are thinking, because it won't be a CAD class per say, and that would be too remedial for me, it would be a "software brand X" class for businesses running that software. Someone proficient in rhino cad may not be in solidworks etc. in mean time I am going to see what I can do with free trials and free stuff. My guess is that free trial software won't let you export files. I am googling free 3D stuff now.

Who's got two thumbs and made the most BS Birdie ever witnessed in the history of golf buddydom? Me!!! Rocket skulled 9i 125 to 9 feet...On the green!!! Study the break and it's definitely right to left. I aim right and just barely fall into the left side of the cup! I leave the ground in celebration. My buddy is supper happy for me but absolutely speechless at how it worked out. When he finally got collected all he could manage was "The card doesn't tell the whole story, but was the luckiest bunch of BS ever." We got out for twilight 9 tonight. I only lost one ball. That's a personal record and had the tree monkeys given me that one it would have diminished the awesomeness of the BS Birdie. Great times! I'm getting better rapidly now that I have settled in on the contents of my bag. Yes I'm missing the 1&2i right now, but until I get my driver zeroed, I need things I can rely on.

Briefly interrupting putter chat...

Been playing the TP MC irons listed in my sig so far this year. They're OK, but I don't feel like they're giving me all that much compared to the assortment of Rams, Mizuno, and Muirfields.

On top of that, I've been playing my Scratch 53 wedge a bit, which has the Super Peening Blue that matches the shafts in my TG898 Rams.

So yeah, let's play the Rams today. :pimp:

And it went pretty well. Was super accurate, predictable distance, all sorts of fun. No trouble hitting the X SPB's. Didn't have a problem until the end of the round when my back was tightening up.

And my NV105 shafts have been shipped, which is outstanding.

Now to be putter topical... I have a Mizuno TP Mills putter I'd picked up quite a while ago. Had a short putter phase for quite a few years and had cut it down to 33". Had extended it once, but it's still short of the 35" I've been using lately. So, I picked up a shaft for it, epoxied it earlier today, planning on getting it gripped up to use for tomorrow.

I was really impressed by TP Mills putters when I first tried them around 2000. I've picked up a couple, thinking about grabbing another if I can track it down. Quality stuff.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On the other hand...OK, maybe it's the same hand but here's a thought that strikes me when I miss a good strike with my 8802 style. It lets me know where I missed it so I might correct it. If this sounds like I'm poking fun or pulling chains, it's probably because I kind of am. On the other hand...The blade putter (low cg flow neck?) is, besides the bladey goombas on this thread, de facto my strongest recent connection to the blade world and it's been so great it has made me ponder the irons more seriously than I otherwise might have.

I don't have a mills yet, sad to say. You guys can kill the putter tangent at any time lol.

Nard, if you don't know, please ask any machinist friends about cad software that will give what I believe is the balance point? Of a drawing of a part. I have spent a few hours watching YouTube videos and scouring internets, I know solidworks does it, but from what I saw on YouTube that is like ridiculously serious software that simulates stress tests and is really professional aerospace style. Rhino cad is used in my industry, and it is actually really cheap at $650/Mac and $950/pc (trust me, that is cheap for software like that relatively speaking) and I am going to do a free 90 day trial of that since o can use it potentially for my work so I can see if I can A. Make clubheads and B. If so can I apply it for possible projects realistically, but the one thing I am having an issue with aside from going into a new cad program not knowing tool usage, order, process etc. is that I need the sweetspot to be identified so that as weight is moved it moves etc.

On the other hand...OK, maybe it's the same hand but here's a thought that strikes me when I miss a good strike with my 8802 style. It lets me know where I missed it so I might correct it. If this sounds like I'm poking fun or pulling chains, it's probably because I kind of am. On the other hand...The blade putter (low cg flow neck?) is, besides the bladey goombas on this thread, de facto my strongest recent connection to the blade world and it's been so great it has made me ponder the irons more seriously than I otherwise might have.

Irons are same thing. I may have failed to mention this in my thread about my round the other day, but I forgot to remove my BB pw from my bag, and I used it over the CB PW twice in my round. I did it as litmus test to me playing well. Yes only a pw but 2 GIR off it, and one pretty close, the other 25 ft but that was the winds fault. One was flushed, the other not but a small mis. Ball traveled well and the mis was my closer shot, and the feel difference we blade guys love is this, I know I was a tad to the toe, in fact it felt so different than what I had been feeling I expected it to be short, but the reality was it went as the CB would have except I know I hit it toward the toe a bit. A miss that small with the CB would have felt ok. I know that close miss with the small blades well, it is a good thwack without the rewarding jackpot feel. Your putter comparison is the same thing on putts. That mallet is going to mask that small miss a lot more, even though the roll with each and same miss may only result in an extra 5% roll off the mallet, it is essentially the same result. A putter specifically you DONT want that help because as I have said I believe speed trumps line in putting, and there is only one way to acquire speed control in putting, and that is to light up a dime sized area at the sweetspot an not miss it. No one wants to hear it with irons, but it is same principle.