2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

2015 WGC - CADILLAC CHAMPIONSHIP....MARCH 2nd - 8th

kemau

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....hard to choose among all the star-studded flights!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

My Picks
1) Dustin Johnson
2) Matt Kuchar
3) Brooks Koepka

Other Predictions
1) Rounds 1-3 will not be good for Mcilroy
2) Patrick Reed will be in contention

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Some observations from Wednesday's practice round:

* Every year they require the patrons to make a longer winding trek past all the corporate booths before actually encountering the course

* Huge white grandstands now engulf the back of 18 all the way around the 9th green. Walking spectators are increasingly thwarted in those areas. This year's change is a small grandstand left of the 9th green, facing west so the sun is smack in your face in mid afternoon.

* Practice facility is more lush than last year, when it was newly expanded. Now there are actual greens that look like greens and play like greens, allowing players to get a feel for how their shots will react instead of bouncing like fairways

* After arriving at 1:45 after my weekly dental appointment of late, I thought I was out of luck in terms of watching actual groups on the course. Then I saw Poulter and Snedeker walk past me on the path in front of the clubhouse. Stroke of luck. High profile threesome that also included Westwood. Poulter and Snedeker yukked it up down the first fairway while Westwood mostly stayed to himself. Snedeker tried one layup and one fairway wood into the tight front pin while Westwood and Poulter were satisfied with one shot apiece.

* Westwood nearly beaned Poulter with a thinned wedge from a downhill lie behind the left fronting bunker. Poulter was walking right to left just in front of the flag when the ball whizzed narrowly past his head, and rolled into the water right of the green. Poulter nonchalanted the matter while Westwood grinned and the small crowd laughed. Poulter had his head down and shouldn't have been walking there during a shot so he ignored it instead of assigning blame to himself. No big deal. I was impressed that Westwood actually fetched his ball out of the pond instead of leaving it there.

* Butch Harmon arrived in a cart and immediately starting talking to Snedeker, who was working on short chips and mini flops, same as every subsequent green. Obviously he expects plenty of those delicate shots from greenside bermuda this week.

* Pros are still trying to figure out how to attack that new first hole, radically altered from the tame predecessor. Poulter stood in the light rough just left of that front bunker and gestured to Harmon that the area was the perfect landing spot for a long approach, since it feeds gently right and the rough isn't too thick or difficult. Harmon agreed. "Sure. You're fine." But go 5 yards too far left and it's down the hill toward the second tee.

* On the second green Poulter's caddy got to the heart of the matter, the reason I was there today. He asked the group in general, "So what have they changed...since last year...things they'll actually use?" Westwood immediately pointed to the back of that green, saying it's flatter than last year but also widened to the back left, allowing an extra pin position. Poulter's caddie properly wasn't satisfied with that. "No, I mean something major." Lots of conversation followed in the back left of that green but I was too far away to hear once they walked over there.

* On green after green that group was studying the green contours and discussing whether it had changed since last year, and how much. Doral previously featured flat greens and tons of one putts unless the wind interfered. Now the course has been artificially toughened thanks to ripples and ridges everywhere. It looks more like Honda than the old Doral. I'm not sure those humps will show up on the TV version. Trust me, they are there and prominent. Many pins today were on the crest of ridges

* Amusing incident on the third tee. Poulter was just about to pull the trigger on a driver when a young dark haired guy was 20 yards ahead, oblivious to Poulter while blabbing in animated fashion on his cell phone, and starting to cross the crosswalk from right to left. Those crosswalks will be guarded beginning tomorrow but many were wide open today. Poulter backed off at the last second. Loads of reaction from the players and caddys. The ball would have whizzed over the spectator's head if Poulter hadn't noticed out of the corner of his eye. Poulter: "It would have been priceless." Poulter's caddy: "It would have been worth it." Harmon offered a summary: "Look at the guy...no tan at all..smack off the plane." The group and some spectators continued to taunt the guy, trying to get him to acknowledge than the joke was on him, that he was at fault. No reaction at all. Stayed on his cell phone. I actually admired him for it. Poulter and the caddy fired another jab in the guy's direction when they walked past. Still no reaction.

* That crosswalk was moved radically forward this year. Good move. I emphasized last year that it caused major problems. A spectator from Georgia was livid about it last year. Everyone bottlenecked more than 100 yards down the hole before being allowed to cross over to the left. That meant a lengthy wait before the group inside the ropes cleared and we were allowed to cross. Often the second shots had already been hit. Now it's barely in front of the tee box and should work well. It's the only spectator-friendly adjustment I detected today.

Lengthy, as always. So I'll continue in a separate post.

* That third green last year was very controversial, with many balls unfairly rolling right and into the pond. From a distance today you could see the subtle changes. Greens have been elevated slightly in the problematic areas from last year. The banks are still severe, although there is too much spongy bermuda on the slope. I have no idea why. Balls that actually find those slopes rightfully are wet.

* Westwood walked to the major ridge in the middle of that third green. The slope tilts toward the water. Westwood dropped a ball while saying, "Last year if you dropped it here it would roll into the water." Demonstration stops well short. "Now it won't."

* Everybody hit lots of chips and bunker shots from the left of that green, testing how fast it was. Still not much margin for error. Westwood had to stop one of Snedeker's chips from entering the water.

* Fourth hole. Okay, now here's something different. New tee box. Back and to the right of the standard one. Hole is lengthened by roughly 20 yards. Sign indicated 227 today. From that box it's more of a direct route over the water, and obviously with a longer club. Poulter hit first and found the bank. Somehow it stayed up. Westwood: "Oh it stopped. That's a break, a Wednesday break."

That ball had no business not finding the hazard. Ridiculous. I was disgusted. Many shots will be similarly bailed out this week.

* Before Westwood's shot he said in joshing fashion to Poulter, "What...pray tell...club was that?" Poulter said he hit 4 iron. A spectator yelled out, "It's a 6 for you, Westy." Everyone laughed. No way a 6 was getting there. Considerable wind today. Westwood hit a fine piercing shot. When someone asked the club, Westwood deadpanned, "Eight." Then he held the bottom of the club toward us. It was also a 4 iron.

* I'm not sure if that lengthened fourth hole will play more difficult. It was already tough. The new angle covers more of the water but the prevailing wind is not directly left to right, as before. The new angle is away from the pond at right. As long as you take enough club I don't see as many shots fanned right into the water. Regardless, it's a major change. I'm sure they'll use both tee boxes.

* Poulter departed to reroute toward the clubhouse from the 8th tee. Not much happened on the fifth or sixth. Holes haven't changed. Couldn't hear the conversation, which declined once Poulter was gone.

* It livened up considerably on the 7th tee. Roger Maltbie drove up in a cart, immediately greeted by Harmon. Then Westwood smacked a great looking drive, with a very slight cut over the left edge of the fairway bunkering. Snedeker's caddy immediately perked up when the ball left the clubface. I didn't have to ask why. That fairway was widely panned last year. Snedeker's caddy said, "That's perfect. I can't wait to see where that ball ends up." I expected left center of the fairway, well past the bunker. Snedeker hit a moderate shot that dove into the top of the bunker, well back. Harmon left Maltbie and offered his verdict: "Worst hole on the course. The fairway is a joke."

* When we got to the landing area, somehow Westwood's ball was in the right rough. And not barely. By several yards. I was stunned. Snedeker's caddy gave an appropriate summary: "I wish the course designer could see that shot...how it was hit and where it finished. That's all you'd need to see."

I agree. Absurd. The absolute biggest bombers like Dustin or Rory might be able to carry that left fairway bunker far enough to find a downslope and relatively flat fairway. Everyone else is subject to the severe slant. There is also a bunker guarding the right side of that fairway, obviously designed to catch the bail out drives. I'm not sure if that bunker was there last year.

I'll separate again because the next topic was unique.

* At the 7th green, Harmon called out to Maltbie. "Did you get it, Rog? Do you have it yet?" Maltbie was alone in his cart, checking his cell phone. It seemed obvious that Harmon sent something to Maltbie via email or text. Finally Maltbie reacted, and dashed toward the back of the green in the cart. "Oh, that's great. That's fantastic." Harmon beamed and appreciated the response. "Yeah, The Parrot is the greatest, the absolute greatest." Now I'm curious. Was it an image? Seems likely. Then Steve Sands drove up. Harmon greeted him, "Hey, Sandsy." Maltbie wanted to show The Parrot to Sands on his cell phone. Harmon intervened. "He's already seen it." Harmon then said, "They're all great, but the second one is the best."

Somebody needs to find out what The Parrot is. I'm not even sure it should be capitalized. Maybe it's an actual parrot. Regardless, they continued to talk about it, down the 8th fairway.

* On that 8th tee, Snedeker pushed a driver so far right it was somewhat bizarre. Harmon gave some instruction for the first time. He walked behind Snedeker on the mulligan and said the target was the bunker on the right. I forgot to mention that Snedker pulls the trigger incredibly quick. Startling contrast to Westwood, who often freezes over the ball. Snedeker's second drive was a nice draw down the center. Harmon said to Westwood, but obviously intending Snedeker to hear, "See what happens when you stop and actually spend two seconds thinking about it?"

* I walk over to Snedeker's first drive, secluded behind a tree at least 30 yards right of the fairway. Apparently nobody else sees that ball or cares about it. I pick it up and motion toward Snedker and his caddy in the fairway. They shout back, "Keep it," and "It's yours." I give thumbs up in acknowledgment. So, when Snedeker won that event a few weeks ago to qualify for Doral, little did I know that it meant I would get a free Bridgestone Tour B330 golf ball. They might as well have sent it from the factory. If anyone cares, Snedeker marks his ball with a little green dot just above and to the right of the final letter in Bridgestone.

* The 8th green was adjusted like the 3rd, with the front left not as tilted toward the water as last year. I still think that a mega sustained wind can take undeserving balls into that water. It didn't seem to be altered quite as much as the 3rd.

* Now I see Golf Channel personnel darting down the path in carts. First Gannon, then Nobilo. Headed away from the clubhouse. On the 9th tee I see where they were coming from, the new Golf Channel temporary headquarters, smack between the 9th and 10th tee. Huge. Prime spot. I'm somewhat surprised Trump allowed it, considering it partially conceals his nearby helipad. The helicopter arrived later.

* Nobody continued to the back nine. I walked it alone, just looking for major changes. Nothing apparent. For whatever reason they continue to ignore the new back elevated tee box on 11. There's a concession stand there, just like last year. Why build it if it's not used for this event?

* At the 13th green I see Johnny Miller dropped off. He thanks the cart driver and walks by himself across the fairway, looking somewhat old and disheveled. Not the trim athletes of his prime. Paunch and shirt tail hanging out. That's where Johnny must be staying, in one of those green-roofed multi storied structures than ring the outside of the 12th and 13th. Johnny was headed for the one in the middle of the 13th.

* At the 15th tee I'm very surprised to see the slope to the right of the green has been chopped, at least in half. Why? That was the touted spectator friendly area last year? Big artificial elevation. Trump and Hanse actually bragged about it. Now there's not nearly enough room for the spectators who follow the premier groups.

* Then I walk up there and understand what happened. Another new tee box, just like number 4. This one removed that spectator area. Again, like the 4th it means a more direct route over the water. Hanse and Trump want players tempted to go for that short par 4 in one but cut off the full distance if they try. It's only viable in perfect conditions. Wednesday didn't qualify. It would have been one boring lay up to the right after another. Still, this is a big change, the only one I noticed outside the 4th tee. The old tee box remains to the right.

* Nothing notable until the 17th green, where grandstands have actually been lessened. The new huge structure is front right of the 18th tee, emphasizing that tee shot. Ooosthuizen is playing alone, the last player on the course. His wife and three adorable daughter greets him, leaving that 17th green. I'd estimate ages 4, 3 and maybe 18 months. The youngest one is excitedly repeating, "Pa-pa, pa-pa." Louis picks her up with a huge smile. On the 18th tee with today's wind it's inconceivable that anybody actually tries to carry that corner of the water. Looks so far away. That was an adjustment I had today, after walking two LPGA events in November and January. Westwood hit a drive that I thought was wet on #4. It carried easily. This is a different league.

* Ooosthuizen walked hand in hand with his daughters down the early stages of 18, with fans approving and many wondering who the player was. One major isn't enough for widespread recognition. Then Louis spent an inordinate amount of time hitting second shots into that 18th green. None of them threatened the vicinity of the pin. I hope Doral receives the bothersome wind conditions that the pros faced today. Calm is no fun at sea level.

* Long day for McDowell. He was on the far right of the range hitting balls when I arrived, and was on the putting green when I left.

WGC - Cadillac Championship

trump-national-doral.jpg

facebook.png

PGA Tour

ET

Asian Tour

Japan Tour

Sunshine Tour

PGA Tour Australia

twitter.png

PGA Tour

ET

Asian Tour

Sunshine Tour

PGA Tour Australia

• FIELD: 2015 WGC Cadillac Championship Entry List

• COURSE: TPC Blue Monster at Trump National Doral, 7,528 yards, par 72. South Florida’s signature layout showed plenty of teeth in its first edition after Donald Trump’s $200 million upgrade, ranking as last season’s toughest course outside the majors and No.3 overall. The Monster gets its name from its famed 18th hole, where water along the entire left side torments golfers both off the tee and with the approach shot. At the inaugural Doral Open in 1962, pros went a combined 104-over par for the week at No.18. The course joined the WGC lineup in 2007, when the old WGC-American Express Championship found a long-term home.

Blue-Monster.jpg

Doral-Mast-BMH5.jpg

Doral-Mast-BMH4.jpg

Doral-BlueMonster8.jpg

Doral-Mast-BMH11.jpg

680845579d360165b5288a9b_l.jpg

14af4e9ea3fcd9b8b59bdf08_l.jpg

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 550 points.

• CHARITY: United Way of Miami-Dade, to which the tournament has pledged at least $2.5 million over the next 10 years. Contributions also are made to the Make-a-Wish Foundation of Southern Florida and Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County.

• FIELD WATCH: World No.1 Rory McIlroy and defending champion Patrick Reed take on the strongest field yet in 2015, featuring the entire top 50 in the world rankings and top money-winners from various world tours. The lineup now stands at 70, though that will grow by perhaps a half-dozen qualifiers late Sunday. … Robert Streb, Sang-Moon Bae and Charley Hoffman will be added off the FedExCup top 10, perhaps joined Northern Trust Open winner James Hahn if he doesn’t drop more than two spots from No.8. … Mark Leishman and Spain’s Miguel Angel Jimenez have the best odds of moving into the world’s top 50 on Monday. … Tiger Woods, beset by injury and poor form in 2015, will be absent from a place where he won three consecutive times from 2005-07. It’s just the second time he ever has failed to qualify for a WGC start.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 261, Tiger Woods (2006 at The Grove). Trump Doral record: 264, Tiger Woods (2005).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 62, Sergio Garcia and Retief Goosen (both 4th round, 2002 at Mount Juliet) and Bubba Watson (2nd round, 2012 at Doral). Trump Doral record: 61, Stephen Ames (2nd round, 2000).

• LAST YEAR: Reed usurped Woods as the youngest winner of a WGC title, going wire-to-wire for a one-shot triumph over Bubba Watson and Jamie Donaldson. Reed led by four early in the final round, remaining in control even as he made two bogeys in the final hour. He finished with an even-par 72, and his four-day total of 4-under 284 on the revamped TPC Blue Monster was the highest since Mark McCumber in 1985. Nonetheless, it was Reed’s third victory in a span of 14 starts, becoming just the fifth man since 1990 to notch three PGA TOUR wins before turning 24. The others: Woods, McIlroy, Phil Mickelson and Sergio Garcia.

Patrick-Reed-Wins-the-2014-WGC-Cadillac-Championship.jpg

• STORYLINES: The renewed Blue Monster gets its second test from the world’s best golfers, who surely hope gusty winds don’t complicate the challenge as they found last year. Four holes on the Blue Monster ranked among last year’s 30 toughest, and No.18 wasn’t atop the list. Nos. 7 and 14, both par-4s, moved ahead of the finishing hole in last year’s stats. … Watson owns two runner-up finishes in his past three visits to the Blue Monster, but remains in quest of his first victory there. Before finishing behind Reed, he was one shot behind Justin Rose at the 2012 event. … Dustin Johnson, playing his fourth consecutive week since returning from six months on personal leave, also owns a pair of top-5s in his past four Doral starts.

• SHORT CHIPS: With the redesign bringing more wet stuff into play, last year’s total of 318 balls in the water was the highest in more than a decade. The 113 that were rinsed in Round 2 nearly matched the total for the entire 2010 event (118). … Thursday’s festivities include the finals of the 2015 Trump Model Search, followed by the Cadillac Nights Fashion Experience runway show. Ivanka Trump serves as the evening’s host. Click here for a listing of events scheduled for the week at Doral.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 1-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, noon-3 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (NBC). Sunday, 1-3 p.m. (GC), 3-7 p.m. (NBC).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m. Saturday, 1-6 p.m. Sunday, 1-7 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

• SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Monday and Tuesday, March 2-3, 2015 - Course Closed

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Gates Open 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Practice Round for Professionals

Imagination Playground | Open Wed-Sun.| Located by Food Court

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Gates Open 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

First Round of Cadillac Championship Competition - Approximate Tee Time 11:15 a.m.

Military Appreciation Day & Opening Ceremony – 10:00 a.m. | 1st Tee Blue Monster

Model Search | 4 - 6 p.m. | Donald J. Trump Convention Center

Cadillac Nights Live Fashion Experience – Red carpet starts at 7:30 p.m., Experience is from 8–10:00 p.m. | Royal Palm Pool *Need Extra Ticket for Access

Friday, March 6, 2015

Gates Open 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Second Round of Cadillac Championship Competition - Approximate Tee Time 11:15 a.m.

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Gates Open 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Third Round of Cadillac Championship Competition - Approximate Tee Time 8:30 a.m.

Cadillac Miami Nights | AEG Live Concert - 6:30 p.m. | Santa, Los Amigos, and Gente De Zona! *Need extra ticket for access

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Gates Open 7:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Final Round of Cadillac Championship Competition - Approximate Tee Time 9:30 a.m.

Awards Ceremony – 18th Green

Kemau, Kudos for not having a full sized image of Trump on the roll out. Might be the only Doral thing we see for the next 4 days that does not have some form of "The Donald" dog-p*ssed all over everything.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

Always good info Awsi- thanks again.

Having played the Blue Monster a few times over the past decade. I'm always curious as to what others think- especially now with the changes. For me, it was, without a doubt the most overrated, over hyped, bland, boring golf course I had ever played. When I get down there again. I'll check it out but I'm not sure I'll be looking to play it...

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1425571884' post='11082895']
Always good info Awsi- thanks again.

Having played the Blue Monster a few times over the past decade. I'm always curious as to what others think- especially now with the changes. For me, it was, without a doubt the most overrated, over hyped, bland, boring golf course I had ever played. When I get down there again. I'll check it out but I'm not sure I'll be looking to play it...
[/quote]

It was kinda boring, but I liked 3,4 and 18

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1425572445' post='11082975']
Went to pgatour.com to se if there was any live coverage. Sadly, nothing other than Live@...

Instead I was treated to an article titled, "Golf's alpha family- the Trumps". nothing like throwing up a bit in your mouth at 10:15 in the morning...
[/quote]

Golf Channel coverage starts at noon for us, I'm grabbing a quick lunch in a few minutes here so I can stream it at my desk when it starts.

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1425572806' post='11083033']
[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1425516926' post='11079371']
I'll separate again because the next topic was unique.
[/quote]

Mr Awsi Dooger,

Those posts were some of the best reads of the year. Thank you for taking the time!!!

Kevin
[/quote]

Agree 100%, thanks a ton Awsi for the great descriptions. I like hearing how these guys always seem to help each other out during the week. Weekends might be a different story, but most of them genuinely want to see all others do well. Just not too well!

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1425572445' post='11082975']
Went to pgatour.com to se if there was any live coverage. Sadly, nothing other than Live@...

Instead I was treated to an article titled, "Golf's alpha family- the Trumps". nothing like throwing up a bit in your mouth at 10:15 in the morning...
[/quote]

I'm with ya mate

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant