What Did You Shoot Today? (Continuation)

1t2golf

Le sigh. Had a good scramble on Saturday. Our team got one over par. Everything was working well for me. Today..not so much. Driver was all over the place. Managed to get 99 off the tips at Rye Hill, UK but it was ugly. Toward the end my long hybrids started to fail me as well.

Maybe it was the weather. Summer has returned to our part of the UK with temps hitting 25 degrees :-/

I'm at Kirtlington tomorrow and the forecast is for 26 degrees. I'm hoping for a breeze as Tuesday's forecast is for cloud.

started the year in march with a 98 in a tournament in 30mph wind and temps just below 40.

:bad:

a couple weeks after that, i shot 83 with temps in the high 50s.

:aggressive:

yesterday i shot a 74. best round in at least 18 months. 4 birds, 3 bogeys and even had an 8 on a par 5. temps in the mid to upper 60s.

:yahoo:

according to this statistical trend, i obviously will be scoring in the low 50s sometime in mid summer.

:drag:

a guy can dream, right?

:superman2:

Using that same logic, I should break 80 in 124 years lol

Had a really weird start to my round yesterday. Had a 5:04 tee time... pulled into the lot around 4:55. By the time I checked in, ordered a sandwich to go and got my stuff together, I walked up to the 1st tee at exactly 5:04. No warmup, no putts, nothing. I took 2 quick practice swings and was off. Got to my ball and reached for my rangefinder. Empty case. No idea what happened to it. I was pretty scattered at this point, I had rushed to the course, rushed to the tee, and now I'm feeling rushed again trying to figure out a) where my rangefinder could be and b) how far do I need to hit this shot. I settled down a bit but it was a hectic start.

As for the golf, it was a bit of a weird day there too. I didn't hit my first fairway until the 9th but still managed 7/14 fairways and 15/18 greens hit on the day with 32 putts. Had 3 birdies and 2 bogeys on for a 71 (6900y/73.2 rating). I hit a ton of putts that looked really good for a long time but just missed. Made birdies on 2, 3 & 14 with putts from 12, 25 & 8 ft. Made a mistake on 5 where my tee shot was in the middle of the trees and I had to go out sideways and another mistake on 8 where I came up about 2y short and into a bunker. Other than that, I hit the ball pretty well. Had one mishit on 13 with a 6i but that still ended up almost hole high and on the fringe (the only missed green on the back).

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

Not a lot better today. Possibly worse. Hit a 94 off the general tees on an easier course. Driver continues to play up. The main problem though was green work. They'd been sanded and it seemed to confuse me. I struggled with the distance and several chip ons rolled a lot further than I was expecting. Was an even warmer day though.

Anyway tomorrow is set to be cooler and I'm having an on-course lesson with the pro so hopefully he can fix whatever has temporarily broken.

Shot a 99, which is around my avg score now. I hit 0 fairways, had 3 gir, a bird and two pars. I wasn't just in the rough on many of my missed fairways either. Had some bad tree situations to deal with. Felt pretty good that I can shoot an avg score when every 2nd shot on all par 4s and 5s was not in the fairway. short game off the green was very good. Putting was ok, not great.

Third round of the year on Sunday, shot a 96 and played #18 basically in the dark. Used to be a 10 handicap when I played a ton and I am starting to get the golf itch again so I am jumping back into it.

Hit a ton of fairways and a good amount of greens, but my putting has let me down. Can't get the pace right for the life of me.

Playing a course this Sunday that I used to work at and play everyday, so I'm hoping I can manage my way to a good score

A stellar 86 with a four putt and about 5 three putts .

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

42 on the back 9 of my home track. Should have been lower, but couldn't make a putt (including yet another missed 10 footer that would have been my first eagle ever)

Also made the mistake of adding up my score card before teeing off on 18. Saw I was at 36, so just needed par to tie my best 9 hole score ever.

Tee shot was solid, second shot I pulled it left into the hazard. Ended up making double.

Still, happy with a 42, and it dropped my handicap by one so am now sitting at 20.

Goal for the year was to get it below 20, so I have a month or so left to do so. If I keep shooting the way I have been the last month it should be doable.

Need to go practice more... just can't break even par. Had a 4 foot breaking putt to go 1 under (on a wide open course with not much trouble) and pushed it.

But I

Need to go practice more... just can't break even par. Had a 4 foot breaking putt to go 1 under (on a wide open course with not much trouble) and pushed it.

But I can't complain as that was one of the better rounds I have had in a long time.

Played a pretty tough course the other day for the first time in a while (6850/73.4/140). Despite raining only 1 day in the last 10 weeks, the course was really soft. I had at least 4 drives that finished within a yard of their pitch mark. Made the course play pretty long. I drove the ball well all day but struggled to hit greens early. Made 7 pars to start with some really good up and downs. Had a tap in birdie on 8 but gave it right back on 9 after missing the green with a 5w and a pretty poor chip. Missed a couple really good birdie opportunities on 10 and 11. Pretty fortunate to escape with just a bogey on 13 after a couple poor shots in a row and I sat at +1 through 13. Unfortunately, I missed back to back short birdie putts on 14 & 15. Both were good putts I thought that caught some of the hole but neither dropped. Had a tap in birdie on 16 and made a good 6 or 7 footer on 17 for back to back birds. My putt on 18 was right in the heart but 1 roll short. All in all, I was really happy with my 1 under 71. I hit 9/14 fairways and 9/18 greens on the day with 26 putts. Short game was pretty sharp getting up and down 7/9 times but I also let some good birdie chances get away.

WITB

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

Managed to get a quick 9 holes in before work, skipping the gym (Apparently most golfers were at the Pro-Am tournament). Shot a 44, which was the best round by far since returning to golf after a multi decate hiatus and hits my season goal for progress. Remove my three putts and it would have been under 40. Nice to see improvements to my game from the early season lesson--shots were straight, high, dropped lightly on target, and even got some backspin off my flop shots. Really happy, lots positive to build on, really just need to get out and play more.

TaylorMade Burner 2009 9.5*

Ping i20 3W 15*

Ping G30 3H 19*

4-W Ping S55 Modus3 120S

52* Ping Glide

56* Ping Tour Gorge

60* Ping Glide 2 Stealth

Northwestern Tom Weiskopf-303 Anser clone

Shot an 89 on Sunday. Had a good stretch of Par, Par, Birdie, Par on the front, where I felt comfortable and back to my old self.

After that 4 hole stretch, my round kind of went down the drain. Triple bogeyed the next hole(short par 3) because of flubbed pitch out of native.

42 on the front, 47 on the back. Putting needs some work and I need to get used to my "new" driver(SLDR)

2 under 70 at North Creek in Mississippi. 7 birdies 3 bogeys and a double. Had to evac from Florida and had some family in the area, I was getting the itch so I went to play. Great track greens are extremely pure and had good pace as wellfairways are in good shape and tee boxes are great as well! Alan Hickman and his staff have done a tremendous job, by the longest course but a course that will make you use all the clubs in your bag. I will definitely return when I visit again. Good golf course and tremendous hospitality!

Completely topped my first tee shot, maybe went 100 yards... not a good omen to start the day. Shot a 74 (6900/73.2/140) with a double, 2 3-putts, a lost ball, and 3 bunkers hit on the day.

Fairways - 12/14 (all with driver) - After missing fairway at 1, the only other miss was on a tee shot where I hit a bunker that I didn't think I could reach.

Greens - 13/18 - Missed #1 because I couldn't even reach it after the topped tee shot... and 2 of the misses were on the fringe so my ball striking was really pretty good.

Putts - 33 putts on the day, 2 3-putts, I think I only made 1 putt from outside 5 ft and I missed 3 from inside 5. Rough day with the putter

After a really good par save on 1, I missed some good birdie looks on 2, 3 & 4. I had another good save on 5 and made a complete mess of a short par 3 6th. Came up well short off the tee and found the front bunker. Bunker shot came out a little hot and I 3 putted from about 20 ft for a double. After pars on 7 & 8, I played the 9th absolutely perfectly and had a tap in for bird. +1 through 9.

Made another birdie on 10 and had a perfect tee shot on a long par 5 11th. I was 240 out and decided to go for it. I got all of it but missed a little right and the ball hit the path and bounced another 30y or so into the hazard. Gave 1 back there. 12 & 13 are the hardest holes on the course and I had <15 ft for birdie on both but couldn't make the putts. 9i on 14 was nearly in but I missed the 3 footer and couldn't capitalize. Another perfect drive on 15 but it took me 4 shots to get down from 130y out so I dropped another shot. 3 putted from 25 ft on 16 and dropped one more. Now I'm sitting at +3 and have 2 holes left. Poor wedge shot spun well back and I made a good par save on 17. Drive on 18 was perfect but my 5w from 220 missed a little right. It left me with a tricky little mini-flop where I had to go over a bunker but land softly because the green runs away and I was short sided. Pulled it off nicely and made the 4 footer for birdie. +2

WITB

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

78 on a fairly hilly, tricky course (6700/72.9/137). Finished in about 3 hours, played through one foursome, then smooth sailing all the way home. Kinda scraped it around, but misses were mostly straight - a few pushes and hooks hurt me. Barely made a putt, lots of close misses, but made a thirty-footer for birdie ahead of the foursome I passed. Made a 7-footer for bogey after hitting into the water on one approach and having to drop 80 yards from the pin. TMI, I know, but it's my best round in a while!

Last 9: +3

Today:

+1 (Boggie) - Flew the green, bad chip

+4 (Triple) - OB + Shank

+5 (Boggie) - Duf chip

+4 (Birdie) - Great put

+5 (Boggie) - Pulled chip + bad put

+8 (Tripple) - Hooked approach, 2 x duffed chips

+10 (Double) - Hooked drive

+10 (Par) - Good put

+12 (Double) - pull-hooked approach, duffed chip

Painful round to say the least after a 2 week break. Did strike the ball somewhat solid.

Front 9 at Greate Bay. Even par. One bogey and one Birdie. Coming off of a shoulder injury and being as careful as possible to make perfect swings and stay in tempo in order to protect the shoulder. Go figure I'd play my best golf of the year hurt. A week ago I hit 3 half wedges on range and had to call it quits because it was so painful.

Front 9 at Greate Bay. Even par. One bogey and one Birdie. Coming off of a shoulder injury and being as careful as possible to make perfect swings and stay in tempo in order to protect the shoulder. Go figure I'd play my best golf of the year hurt. A week ago I hit 3 half wedges on range and had to call it quits because it was so painful.

Sounds like a great round then! A good score, and able to play, excellent.

TaylorMade Burner 2009 9.5*

Ping i20 3W 15*

Ping G30 3H 19*

4-W Ping S55 Modus3 120S

52* Ping Glide

56* Ping Tour Gorge

60* Ping Glide 2 Stealth

Northwestern Tom Weiskopf-303 Anser clone