2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Oh, I'll be in Northern VA for work on Wednesday and possibly Thursday. Do you guys ever play in NoVA or is it all southern MD?

Maryland guys tend to stay on their side of the river and play in Maryland. NoVa guys will play all over. If it wasn't this week I would love to have gotten out.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Oh, I'll be in Northern VA for work on Wednesday and possibly Thursday. Do you guys ever play in NoVA or is it all southern MD?

Tough for us to play down there on week days unless it's a planned event. Domes plays out of a club in Haymarket area tho

Has everybody been coming to Southern Maryland and just not telling me?

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

Where will you be in terms of general vicinity? I likely can't play but can point you to a few places.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I'll be working out of the office at Falls Church near exit 50 of 495. Probably be in a hotel nearby.

Oh boy, good luck with that - one of the worst spots for traffic. Lots of good food nearby at least, Sweet Water Tavern, Mosaic District (town center type place), Annandale (aka Korea town), Tysons Corner (malls + restaurants), etc.

Anyway, it'll depend on what time you want to play. If you want to play early, you can head west to Twin Lakes (nice muni), Westfields (Freddie Couples design owned by Marriott), or down south to Laurel Hill (host of the 2014 Public Links). Army Navy in Fairfax is actually pretty close but you'll need a DOD or military member to get you in. There's also a short 9 hole public course close by as well called Jefferson, where Chief practices. There's essentially nothing inside the Beltway unless you know people in high places with memberships. Coming back to the office might be slow though, since that'll be with traffic. As with everything around here, it totally depends on time of day and how much time you have.

Afternoon/evening traffic is going to be terrible from that spot, regardless of whether you're gonna try to get to places in VA or MD.

Toulon Palm Beach

Tough for us to play down there on week days unless it's a planned event. Domes plays out of a club in Haymarket area tho

Nope, but next month I'm probably going to take a staycation week if anyone wants to play in Southern MD or VA. Tough to make it down on the other times.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

It's like me saying everything is Baltimore..

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I'll be working out of the office at Falls Church near exit 50 of 495. Probably be in a hotel nearby.

Oh boy, good luck with that - one of the worst spots for traffic. Lots of good food nearby at least, Sweet Water Tavern, Mosaic District (town center type place), Annandale (aka Korea town), Tysons Corner (malls + restaurants), etc.

Anyway, it'll depend on what time you want to play. If you want to play early, you can head west to Twin Lakes (nice muni), Westfields (Freddie Couples design owned by Marriott), or down south to Laurel Hill (host of the 2014 Public Links). Army Navy in Fairfax is actually pretty close but you'll need a DOD or military member to get you in. There's also a short 9 hole public course close by as well called Jefferson, where Chief practices. There's essentially nothing inside the Beltway unless you know people in high places with memberships. Coming back to the office might be slow though, since that'll be with traffic. As with everything around here, it totally depends on time of day and how much time you have.

Afternoon/evening traffic is going to be terrible from that spot, regardless of whether you're gonna try to get to places in VA or MD.

Ugh. Thats a bummer. At least the food is a plus. I'm half Korean so whenever I go up to NoVA I always stop by and hit up Honey Pig.

TEE TIME ALERT

Okay, no official tee time but I wanted to see if anybody wanted to play Wednesday or Thursday morning (9-10 am) in the Gainesville/Haymarket area (I'm coming from Culpeper so everything is a hike). Fredericksburg area would be a possibility too.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Any of you guys played either course at Wisp Resort? Is the Lodestone course worth the $?

Any other courses in the Deep Creek area worth checking out?

I'm heading to the Deep Creek area in August for a long weekend filled with in-laws and in-laws of in-laws so I will desperately need to get out of the house some.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Ugh. Thats a bummer. At least the food is a plus. I'm half Korean so whenever I go up to NoVA I always stop by and hit up Honey Pig.

I love me some Honey Pig. In both Annandale and Fairfax, there's also Bon Chon Chicken locations, which is Korean style fried chicken. If you haven't already tried something like that, thank me later.

http://us.bonchon.com/

As for twilight golf from where you'd be, I'd much rather get comfortable at the Sweet Water bar, get some Ozzie rolls, crabcakes, and beer, with their flourless chocolate waffle to wash it down.

So yeah, given your time frame and location, I'd rather go pig out somewhere.

Toulon Palm Beach

Took a lesson on Saturday with Jim Kardash at Arundel Golf Park. I liked Jim and will go back for a couple more lessons to get my swing straightened out. He kept things pretty simple and he's low key. He did basic video with his IPhone and sent me a short clip. I plan to ask for a couple more clips with audio next time as it's hard to remember the lesson and what to practice without something recorded or written down. Hopefully I'll get the game in a good place before the end of the season. :)

Took a lesson on Saturday with Jim Kardash at Arundel Golf Park. I liked Jim and will go back for a couple more lessons to get my swing straightened out. He kept things pretty simple and he's low key. He did basic video with his IPhone and sent me a short clip. I plan to ask for a couple more clips with audio next time as it's hard to remember the lesson and what to practice without something recorded or written down. Hopefully I'll get the game in a good place before the end of the season. :)

Fabb went to him, too.

Wondering what kind of "style" you guys would say he has. . .

Is he heavily into positions, and video? Is he more about learning to make corrections? Learning how to score?

I think he originally fitted me for the 12º Ping G15 years ago at no cost. I was looking around at drivers and he set up the trackman and brought out some shafts, and whatnot.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Any of you guys played either course at Wisp Resort? Is the Lodestone course worth the $?

I'm heading to the Deep Creek area in August for a long weekend filled with in-laws and in-laws of in-laws so I will desperately need to get out of the house some.

Thousand Acres in Swanton (east side of the lake), nice little 9 hole layout with no crowds. You can tip it out there for 3550, and it's always in good shape.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Fabb went to him, too.

Wondering what kind of "style" you guys would say he has. . .

Is he heavily into positions, and video? Is he more about learning to make corrections? Learning how to score?

I think he originally fitted me for the 12º Ping G15 years ago at no cost. I was looking around at drivers and he set up the trackman and brought out some shafts, and whatnot.

This was my first lesson and it was only 30 minutes. Had me hit PW, 6I and driver as I told him driver was my weak spot right now. From the video, it was obvious what I was doing wrong with the driver, which was kind of reverse Jim Furyk move where I would take the club back on plane, but then would get really vertical on the downswing leading to thin shots off the toe. We worked on my takeaway, position at the top of the swing and downswing from the inside on plane. I purchased a series of 3 lessons which was only $135 and includes a bunch of range tokens. I am hopefully that two more lessons will help with my downswing issues and give me some good drills to work on.

Lodestone is a good course with a couple of weird holes. Wisp is your typical mountain track up and down the ski area. Up the road is Cheat lake which has 1 good course and one ok course. There is also a course at Black Water Falls State Park that is 20 minutes south of Wisp and ok the last time I played it.

OCGC Member Guest Recap:

HOT!! But with a flight championship it made it all worth it.

1st match: Me stroking 7, Nerf stroking 4 (Was that way for all our matches.) Our opponents: a local TV personality getting 5, his partner also getting 7. We start on 18 Newport. We all are dry, we all hit green in 2. Putting comes down to me and fellow 7 stroker. He's got a 7 footer, I've got a 12. I've been doing the Aimpoint Express thing since my pro taught it to me, and I hear local TV personality giggle while I'm doing it. The giggling stopped when I drained it center cup. His partner misses, 1 up. Both Nerf and I par #10, 2up. I win #11 with a par when one goes in the marsh and one goes knocking his 3rd in the bunker. We halve a few and win another, and then on #15 Local TV guy makes a great snaking birdie putt, negated by my 8 foot par putt with me stroking one. You could just watch the guys shoulder slump and the air go out of him, but they battled back to take the next to holes. We win the match 6-3- add one for winning the match- we currently lead after a 7-3 victory.

2nd match: Our opponents stroking 3 and 7, but the 3 played unbelievable- had a Dustin Johnson like swing with a wild wrist action that just went right where he wanted. He killed us, and I didn't play well this match- everytime I had a par he'd make birdie so we only got a half. We lose this match 5-4, add the point they won 6-4, but we had a good time against a guy who shot 38 on us.

3rd match: Our opponents stroking 2.5 and 9- but neither played well, and we did. They won the last two holes or it would have been a complete bloodbath- We end up winning 6-3, so now 7-3 for us.

End of Day 1: We are in 3rd place. The team that beat us was in second, and a team we had yet to play in first. A point in a half seperated the top three teams.

Start of Day 2 we play the leaders. A really good fit player getting 5 and a former Member Guest champion getting 7 paired together. VTNerf starts us off with a point winning birdie on Seaside #17, and me and the other 7 stroker battle with pars for halves the next 2, then he lets a 3 foot par putt slide by to tie me with bogey, then I do the same with a 6 foot par attempt on the par 3. Then VTNerf took the match over with a birdie on #13 then he won #14 with par. We lose the par 3, but I win the last par 5 #16 with par. We win 6-3(7-3). We are now back in first place with a 1/2 point lead!

Last match was against the team who at the start of the tourney I thought was going to win it. Even worse, they just beat up on one of the other teams 8-2, so we now had 4 teams all with a chance to win it, as we were all within 3 strokes of the lead. The other 2 teams in it were playing each other, so that was to our advantage. Our thinking was to just get a win, not a blowout, lets just get it done and see where the chips fall. More on that later.

It was a tight match, they tie me on the first(Seaside #8 par 3) by getting up and down, but we win the 2nd with a double bogey! (The pin location was just ridiculous) They win the third after I SHANK one! We win the 4th with par, then I win the Par 5 (Seaside #3) and the following par 4 with pars. We are in control! They win the next par 5, but its ok, we've got 2 holes to go and we're up by 2. All we need is a halve!

The next hole was Seaside #6, a dogleg left par 4. Sets up perfect for my draw. I hit a great drive and was the lone one in the fairway. Our opponents duff one, and the other puts it in the greenside bunker. I knock it on to 20 feet for birdie.

ITS OVER!

At least, that's what I thought. Even if these guys get up and down, they still tie me for a halve. The duffer duffs it again. Cut to the greenside bunker.

30 yard bunker shotHe takes a cut, and the ball skips off the top of the trap.

It flies directly into the cup. Birdie.

I throw my putter, only to have to go retrieve it attempt to make the halve. I fail. We then proceed to lose Seaside #7- so we finish at 4.5-4.5 - no extra point given because there is no winner. We shake hands, and it was fun, but we're so glum because we just KNOW one of the other teams has won it. We meander in, and I double check the scoring while Nerf checks the standings.

We won the flight by 1/2 a shot. The third place team beat the second place team 6.5-3.5, the only scenario by which we could have gotten in, and IT HAPPENED TO US FINALLY!! Luck was on our side for once.

We bro hugged, fist bumped, got jiggy with it, etc. All the other playoff teams are putting, or practicing hitting drives. Us? We're under the shade tree drinking beer.

Playoff: 16 teams. We hit 8th, Nerf drives, knocks it right onto the mounds of #10 Newport. I duff a hybrid as I try to hit off a 45 degree slope. He hits a great shot to front of green, which led to a fantastic if I say so myself flop shot by moi to the top of green, but can't stop the ball near the pin and rolls to fringe. Nerf makes a good effort, but just a difficult putt from there, and the second flight wins it. Still a great result from us after a disasterous Par 3 contest which Nerf and I have blocked out of our minds. Great playing and great fun with Nerf! Lets add some more to the trophy cases!

Clothes by Adidas. Bitchin hat on OCGolfRick by Fabb Athletic Co. Sh!t eating grins by Miller Lite, Bud Light Lime and Orange Crushes.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

I enjoyed my lesson with Jim Kardash quite a bit. I will definitely go back to him when I need another tune-up. He wasn't super intense with video analysis and hitting all the perfect swing positions. He used some video, and watched my shot pattern with several clubs. The things he had me working on were fairly straightforward. There was a setup adjustment, and then just hitting a lot of 3/4 type shots focusing on extension to the finish and controlling the trajectory and shape of the shot.

And in case anyone was wondering what Ozzie rolls are, they are deep fried dough. Beignets basically. Served with sweet whipped butter.

13241911345_c45f33339d_b.jpg

Okay. Carry on with the golf stuff. I need to go eat something.

Toulon Palm Beach

Etiquette lesson.

I throw my putter, only to have to go retrieve it

Don't throw your putter when your opponent does something good.

attempt to make the halve. I fail.

Throw it now.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Basically everything Rick said.

I'll add a few bits. I believe it was our second match. Rick has a 10 footer to win the hole. I already had the half with my score. So I tell him "It's either in or it isn't." I see a little head tick like what the eff did he just espouse to me???? And he proceeds to knock it in. It became a saying for the rest of the matches.

The first match was both of our best scores I think. I shot 39 and Rick had 38 (getting 7!!!! Take that TV personality!!!!) We somehow managed a net 31 for the team for the first match Sat morning although neither of us broke 40. I wore out by the last match, but managed a few good holes to get us some points. Went 39-40-40-40-44.

We were 2 groups in front of a hole in one. Holes are parallel, so we were actually closer to them than the hole. Rick is standing over his second shot on a par 5 and a roar starts and grows louder and louder. He proceeds to swing anyway and hits it fairly well all things considered. The guy won a car, and there was a tent set up on the tee box with a large cooler full of alcohol. Talk about a way to start celebrating! (He pushed his tee shot on the next hole and nearly hit the car he just won!!!!)

I nuked a drive on 9 Seaside; dogleg right. I took the majority of the dogleg out of play and hit it to about 60 out. Rick's behind me shaking his head "Why does he take that line...whack......that's why!" Our opponents were like "i think you might be ok over there."

"What do you mean, I'm past the cedar in the open."

"I've never seen that line work out that way before. Lawd."

The yellow bucket hat was BINGO. Got so many comments on it, and got to talk to a few guys that had kids survive leukemia too. First time wearing it, but be sure it won't be the last. With the heat and the sun, it was perfect. The Cap Cup was perfect for Friday too.

I put Rick in a trbl spot in the shootout. At least the team that won made 4-for-3 so it didn't really matter that much...just hurt a little. Had a freeking blast all weekend. The par 3 was an abomination, and we may never play in it again. Had some great laughs on the course and in the clubhouse all weekend. Still recovering a little bit with the knee, but well worth it now that we had 2 crystal vases apiece. Told the wife that that the Cap Cup might be making a visit sometime too and she got giddy about that hanging out with the other 2.

Etiquette lesson.

Throw it now.

I never saw any of this happen. I wasn't playing great at this point and it was our 44th hole. I walked up to mark my ball and was walking back towards the front of the green to get out of the way, and I hear that clank. Then I see the guys partner jumping across the green like Justin Leonard. Then I see Rick walking off the green. Ok, wait, wtf just happened???? Does my putt for 5 still count? No. Eff you. The clank was so loud the group in the fairway behind us started hollering.

Etiquette lesson.

Throw it now.

I know, it was really bad on my part and I apologized for it. In my defense, weak as it is, we have had these flights taken from right underneath us so many times, with long putts made at the last by our opponents and just falling apart ourselves when we've had the lead. It was like God himself didn't want us to win one. We've got crystal a few years ago, but I always felt it needed an asterisk on it because we won it when it got rainshortened to a 27 hole stroke play event. I just really wanted to win one legit, and when that flew in I just let my emotions get the best of me.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Back at the office after a week in Nags Head. Very good trip. Played 5 rounds. In chronological order for your convenience:

Friday July 1 - Piedmont

Took a half day and played in that cash game. Played ok, but nothing special. Short recap already posted

Saturday July 2 - Ford's Colony in Williamsburg - Blue Heron course

Left DC at 7:45am and sat in traffic like a ***********. Nowhere to be, so wasn't too stressed out. Made the tee time and the gf and I had the place to ourselves. Outstanding course. A couple holes were tough to navigate having never played there before, but for the most part it was fine. Greens and fairways were in great shape, and even though it was CPO due to the rain the night before, we played in 3:30. Tipped it out and shot a relaxing 84.

Monday July 4 - Nags Head Golf Links

Handicap Killer - Only 70.2/138 from the tips (6100 yards), so you gotta put up a good score for a decent differential. Problem is there is trouble on both sides of every hole, the entire length of every hole. You hit a lot of irons off tees. I hit it straight for the most part, and was humming along until #9 when I made double. Ended up shooting 81 with four doubles. Dad had 76, Aunt's husband (68 years old) shot 78. There was some good golf being played. Fun round.

Tuesday July 5 - Sea Scape Golf Links

Handicap Killer part 2 - Only 70.0/124 from the tips of 6100 yards. Slope needs to be at least 10 points higher. Same type of course as Nags Head. Slightly more room maybe, but out of bounds or heavy brush on both sides of each hole. Hit it straight. I hit most fairways, but just couldn't score. Par 3's gave me a lot of trouble. Course not in great shape. $115 grees fees made me want to throw up in my mouth.

Wednesday July 6 - The Pointe

Easy-ish golf course. Very open. Can find it pretty much anywhere. I know because I sprayed it off the tee like I never have before. Left and Right misses. Center face slices and pull hooks. Shot 38 on the back to salvage a somewhat ok round (good drive, murdered 3w, high pitch, sank a 4 footer on 18 for a bird), but the damage was done on the front. Nice place. Great for playing quickly.

Sunday July 10 - Piedmont

Had the second round fourball match yesterday. Did not feel good on the range, but made an easy bird on #1 to go 1-up. We got it to two a couple times, but I was struggling. Luckily for me my partner was in the process of putting his best round at the club in the books. Highlighted by driving the green on #10 and sinking the 18 footer for eagle. Not many of you have played there, but the absurdity of that shot was off the charts. I've never seen someone get within 50 yards of that green (reads 385 on the card). Had to have been a 350 yard tee shot. Slightly uphill. Our opponents never went away. We just needed to keep making pars on the back, and that's what we did. I helped out making a tough up and down from across the green on #16 and a tap in par on #18 to win the match 1-up. Nothing worse than birdie won a hole the entire match. Strokes were basically even, it was fun. Swing was totally out of wack. Just advancing it and hoping to make pars. Grint showing a 79 but I picked up a lot of the putts it shows me making. Glad we won. Onto the last 8.

Remebering a few other things...

We were in the Kingsbarns flight. They typically use hole names from Augusta. Or US Open venues. This year they went slightly different. I think I was the only one in the flight that has played Kingsbarns, so I took that as positive mojo off the bat.

I don't think I had a 3 putt all weekend except for 9 Seaside in the last match. And Rick was the only one to 2 putt. Our opponents had 3 & 4 putts each. Tough pin.

I had a horrendous lie in one of the bunkers Friday morning. Just buried. And I had to stand outside the bunker 10" above the ball. First swipe I moved it about 2". But cleared out enough sand that I knocked the next one on, and made a 20 footer for bogey that tied the hole.

Course was in spectacular shape considering they've had 25" of rain in the previous 24 days. Greens were smooth and quick all weekend. In the playoff they double cut and roll the 10th. It's in the 13-14 range just for the shootout. Some of those guys you can tell have never seen anything that fast.

Now Jordan is dropping out of the olympics. At this rate, I may qualify for the team by the time the event actually starts.

Only if DaveChen drops out, too.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green