2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I've missed further left than this, but here's a legit example of where I'd end up with the best 85'ish percent of drives hit on the first hole at hobbits. How many yards is 210 feet?

I'm just inclined to believe on the whole, that we're all worse than we perceive. 70 yards dispersion with a driver with 85+ percent of drives just doesn't sound that bad to me.

I know no one likes politics or religion but one issue plauging or society/culture is that we read interpretations of documents rather than the document itself. So within this reasonable educated community of which I am a fringe member I'm just going to leave this here

https://www.africa.u...Birmingham.html

Incredible letter. I'd never read it in its entirety before yesterday. Thank you for posting the link.

tl;dr version

Justice too long delayed is justice denied; an unjust law is no law at all.

I just tl;dr'ed MLK. ha ha.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

i know there was some chatter about the under armour golf shoes. here's the speith one. dare i say it is worse than any cally shoe ever photographed?

d0ddc0b4-4eae-4c59-9b06-b535e8ab7746.jpg

bonus: comes with it's own duct tape.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

If the width of someone's shot dispersion on their driver is really 70 yards, they aren't "playing" anything - on purpose. They're aiming and praying at that point.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Even a good driver is probably going to have a pretty substantial dispersion.

The posts starting with this one made for a very interesting read/watch.

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry14674738

I enjoyed the posts in that thread. He did a nice job of illustrating how to incorporate your 'typical' miss into course management. I think what people will miss from that though is that he said you have to be flexible with your gameplan and not ignore how you are hitting it on a given day. I think City made that point a few posts back. If you have been pushing it all day you obviously cannot take that same line you planned out yesterday. If you have not missed a driver all day why change what is working? You have to be more biased towards the most recent shot data.

I do think that having a gameplan is great though and will ultimately lead to lower scores.

It has been something I have been thinking about lately. I'm excited to track my performance on each hole this year since I will be playing a large majority of my rounds at the same course.

Being able to answer the question - "Does hitting driver, 3-wood, hybrid, or 4-iron off of the tee have a real impact on scoring on a particular hole?"

lead tape? no wonder he plays so slow.

and, after a brief google search, i have to disagree with myself. these are the ugliest golf shoes ever made.

Red.jpg

good thing NB is the new cally shoe manufacturer.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Did any of the guys that played a majority of their rounds at one course do any experimenting with switching up clubs off of the tee? Did it have any impact on scoring?

I know Fabb changed up his strategy on par 5's and saw some good long term results.

That's the kind of stuff I'm excited to tinker with this year.

i know there was some chatter about the under armour golf shoes. here's the speith one. dare i say it is worse than any cally shoe ever photographed?

They are bad, not Cally bad, but bad. Can't see how those passed any sort of design review.

it looks like a 'design by committee' shoe to me. take away the cratering duct tape and it's passable. there looks to be like there's some serious blackheads under there that need a'poppin.

personally, i'm still waiting on those city-designed shoes to make an appearance in the thread.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I've missed further left than this, but here's a legit example of where I'd end up with the best 85'ish percent of drives hit on the first hole at hobbits. How many yards is 210 feet?

I'm just inclined to believe on the whole, that we're all worse than we perceive. 70 yards dispersion with a driver with 85+ percent of drives just doesn't sound that bad to me.

Ya, 70 may big a bit large, but not by much. I would say the opposite and say that most people would be surprised by how wide their dispersion is, not by how tight it is. Most fairways are 40yards wide or so. Being 15 yards left or right of the fairway isn't very abnormal . If I had to guess, I'd say I'm probably at 20 left (pull) and 50 right (slice) for dispersion with driver? But who knows, I don't have the data.

To put it in other words, someone that has a 40 yard dispersion (95% confidence) should be hitting about 95% of fairways, which would be insane.

Did any of the guys that played a majority of their rounds at one course do any experimenting with switching up clubs off of the tee? Did it have any impact on scoring?

city went out and learned a new drive so he could play pine ridge better a couple years back. i'll let him tell you about that tho.

i keep telling myself to use more club off the tee of par 3s. seems like i have that convo a few times a year. the problem is that i'm a terrible listener. par 4 wise, i've recently been banging a lot more drivers than the past. the closer to the hole i get, the better i score. this seems like common sense, but i fought it for years.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I know Fabb changed up his strategy on par 5's and saw some good long term results.

I've been playing a lot this off season with 7 or 8 clubs.

Some days it doesn't seem to matter at all. Some days, it seems like I'm on a gap every other hole.

I was doing something like D-4I-6-8-P-54, but I ended up going to D-4I-6-8-9-P-54, and some days bring my 60.

I like having more coverage on that end, and I like to practice with the 60.

I mostly bring driver, but I have garaged it and headed out with my 4W. I don't know if it has much of an effect, but I'm very much of the mindset that good driving is the key to good scoring, so I like to hit my driver as much as I can. I don't like to take a day off from hitting driver.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

They are bad, not Cally bad, but bad. Can't see how those passed any sort of design review.

it looks like a 'design by committee' shoe to me. take away the cratering duct tape and it's passable. there looks to be like there's some serious blackheads under there that need a'poppin.

personally, i'm still waiting on those city-designed shoes to make an appearance in the thread.

I must be getting old because I like this shoe.

Yep. That's a definite advantage to having a home course.

Most of my changes involved not pulling the driver and hitting something shorter off the tee.

not sure if you guys saw this video (from fabb's link and sully's link earlier). worth a watch.

he uses 65 yards as the shotgun blast radius for 95% of shots. this is the baseline spread measurement for high level golfers.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Yes. I learned to hit a shorter club off the tee on 2, 10, 12, and 17 at Hobbits, all of which (I think) improved my scoring on those holes.

I definitely saw an improvement in my par 5 scoring by abandoning the strategy of advancing it as far as possible all the time. I wasn't necessarily going for the green with the ability to get there, but I was favoring getting to 30-40 yards short of the green from 280 yards out. The incidence of me having a big miss with the fairway wood shot in those circumstances was leading to wayyyy too many doubles. Unless there's basically ZERO trouble within a massive dispersion of the green, I'm laying up more conservatively as soon as I'm outside of go range. From 280, I'm hitting a 4-5 iron now. I almost never hit a 4-5 iron badly enough that I can't have a decent chance to GIR with my 3rd. I'm certainly not hitting a 4-5 iron into penalty shot territory often.

Just getting to really know a course, and develop a game plan with some experience behind it can lead to better scoring, IMO. I think if I was playing all over last year, my handicap would absolutely be a couple strokes higher than it ended up by playing primarily at Hobbits.

Just getting to really know a course, and develop a game plan with some experience behind it can lead to better scoring, IMO.

This is why i really question why people (amatuers, not pros necessarily) will play in tournaments on a brand new course without playing practice rounds. Its not about just getting swings in its more about learning the course and potentially saving yourself a stroke here and there. I liked that video a lot. I'm planning on doing a playing lesson this summer and that kind of decision making is a lot of what I want to focus on.

Driving-wise my averages for my last 15 rounds look pretty similar in GameGolf:

Last 15 - 19% left miss / 60% in / 21% right miss // 265 average

Last 10 - 20% / 61% / 19% // 265

Last 5 - 19% / 65% / 17% // 267

Last 3 - 18% / 64% / 18% // 256

Interesting that he talks in the video about missing away from the hazards and a lot of the extreme misses in GG are on holes like that.

In terms of changing it up off the tee, MV sort of dictates that you use 3 or 4 different clubs off the tee. One of the things I love about the renovation is that they widened the fairways a little bit here and there and with the dredging they did they build up the ends of some of the fairways near the ponds. Just saw that Google updated the images and some of them I saw for the first time. Prior to this most fairways were 25-30 yds wide.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I think I need to adopt more of this strategic thinking off the tee. I always complain that I don't hit enough GiR, but it could be that I am not setting myself up appropriately for it. Granted I don't always hit the fairway but in many cases when I do I have some awkward yardage. (Speaking based on Chesapeake Hills where I play most). I should start hitting 3 wood or hybrid/4 iron to leave myself a comfortable 8 or 9 iron. The only problem is when my mind gets in the way and I think "a mis hit driver will still get you some distance that you could potentially get near the green with a second shot but a flubbed hybrid is going to put you on he ladies tees"

I need to schedule a playing lesson (read: play a round with some of you shot makers) and observe that the smart play leads to lower scores. Maybe then it'll sink in.

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

I think I need to adopt more of this strategic thinking off the tee. I always complain that I don't hit enough GiR, but it could be that I am not setting myself up appropriately for it. Granted I don't always hit the fairway but in many cases when I do I have some awkward yardage. (Speaking based on Chesapeake Hills where I play most). I should start hitting 3 wood or hybrid/4 iron to leave myself a comfortable 8 or 9 iron. The only problem is when my mind gets in the way and I think "a mis hit driver will still get you some distance that you could potentially get near the green with a second shot but a flubbed hybrid is going to put you on he ladies tees"

I need to schedule a playing lesson (read: play a round with some of you shot makers) and observe that the smart play leads to lower scores. Maybe then it'll sink in.

On the other hand, I think Richie Hunt has shown (maybe with pros and am's) that you're usually just better off hitting driver.

The thing is. . .for a lot of us. . .when you miss, you MISS. Whether that's a 3Iron, 4W or driver, it's gone. So you might as well take a driver out.

My basic strategy off the tee is "hit driver unless a good shot can get you into trouble". Like, you drive it right through a dog leg, or there's a hazard through the fairway.

Like Abb not hitting driver on 10 at Hobbits. . .there's a pretty severe slope right to left into a hazard. I've seen "good" drives wind up there. On 2, he'll take less some times because a good drive can run into the creek. Now, a PERFECT drive on either hole is perfect and we're not talking about that, but a GOOD drive can be bad.

He's not hitting 3 iron on 12 just because it's a short hole.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The thing is. . .for a lot of us. . .when you miss, you MISS. Whether that's a 3Iron, 4W or driver, it's gone. So you might as well take a driver out.

This is how I feel. If my swing is so off that I'm missing badly with my driver, I'm going to miss badly with any club whether it be my 2 iron, my 3 wood (which I think is even harder to hit center of face than a driver for myself and most people), or anything else.

you guys ever calculate how many bad shots you hit in a round? costs a minimum of 1 stroke, if not more. the grint has a weird way of assigning a "what if" score. any bunker is .5 strokes. drop is one. OB is two. i wish they would have a way of tracking "chunks, blades or fluffs" as well.

Screen_Shot_2017_01_17_at_1_15_48_PM.png

i think i hit 1 or 2 terrible shots a round, and probably 8+ mediocre shots. this can be offset by 1-2 very good shots and several decent ones. i'm including putts in this metric.

if i were tracking that info regularly, i suspect the average be a NET equivalent to my course handicap for the day.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Patriots Glen golf course in Cecil County is for sale 1.8 million how about 30 of us throw in 60 grand each and buy it ?

it's not the purchase price that's the issue (especially if we got kent on board). it's the upkeep. i'll throw out $1 mil/year for maintenance as a totally random guess. i'm probably way low too.

GTT: if you were the owner of a golf course, what would a few of your policies be?

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

GTT: if you were the owner of a golf course, what would a few of your policies be?

No carts.

No "par" scores on the scorecard.

No Jews.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green