2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I'm thinking about upgrading the 3 would or hybrid. Both clubs are from 2009 and leaves me wondering what is out there that could be an upgrade

I do think I'll be getting a new bag. Ping Hoover is falling a part

I've always thought Ping Hoover's sucked more than most.

What you need is a nice big white Cobra Staff bag. Used. From like 5 years ago.

You're good enough to have one of these.

You deserve one of these.

Plus, I know someone who might have one for cheap. Click on my profile name and then send me a PM.

Club-wise, check out the used XStiff hybrids on 3balls.com. They're 20% off right now.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

If you have a hybrid you like, KEEP IT. You don't lack for distance, so what is their to gain by upgrading? If you don't like your hybrid, by all means replace away.

I don't know what 3w you've got, but the newer generation of fairways are definitely longer than older stuff (save for the TEE CB* fairways, which have always been cannons). Starting around the RBZ/xhot era, the fairways seemed to make some distance gains. Those lines seemed to make a big jump, and it's been marginal since.

Eagle, how many profile view do you get per month based on folks accidentally clicking your name instead of the thread link? Cause I've totally never done that...

Thank god I'm not the only one. I assumed Eagle thought I was stalking him. The real problem is Eagle thought I was stalking him. And he liked it. How many times can he ask you out to dinner and you have to tell him you "already have plans"?

I headed over to the casa de 2MT last night to check out his garage driving range, and shoot the breeze. He's got a sweet setup in there with the vector pro launch monitor, and room to swing every club in the bag.

It took me a bit to get comfortable swinging in there, and to figure out where I had to start the ball to produce an on-line shot according to the monitor. It looked like I was pushing everything about 40 yards for a bit, until I started stepping into my shots from behind and really getting lined up the proper direction. Once I got more dialed in, it was really impressive how accurate the monitor was. Based on on-course knowledge of my distances, the predicted carry seemed to be pretty much spot on for all the clubs I hit. When I could tell I hit one off the heel, you could see the ball flight was a little pull cut. Pretty cool stuff.

At one point I was hitting 3w off the deck, and the distances started dropping to like 200 carry on what felt like good shots. Turns out the ball had cracked. I've never cracked a golf ball in my life, but apparently it happens pretty regularly to 2MT since the balls stay out in the cold garage all the time. Swapped in a fresh ball, and all was right in the world again.

Talked some golf swing with 2MT, and about what he was working on from his lesson. Definitely gets pretty laid off at the top, but he's an athletic guy with a nice swing. He should really see some great improvements in his consistency if he can continue to have time and good health to keep up the practice.

Big up to 2MT for letting me crash his spot. We only live about 1.5 miles apart, so it's about time we actually set something up. He's got me wanting to at least set up my own mat and net again, now that I've got plenty of room for it in my new garage. Maybe a launch monitor down the road some day.

Looks like LongBallSwanson has moved elsewhere. . .

http://www.golfopinions.com/1300/buying-new-irons-is-for-the-birds-and-not-the-good-kind-of-birds/

For example, I hit a quarter-to-10-o’clock rising squeezer with my 9 iron from a sticky, into-the-grain-lie the other day, and it went 184 yards instead of 186. Yea the ball came in a bit lower and scooted to four feet and I made birdie, but still.

Now what if in that same circumstance I had to hit that shot with a club I just got 2 weeks ago? I’d have no chance getting the distance even remotely close. I might not have even hit the green.

http://www.golfopinions.com/1312/tom-brady-age-39-vs-tiger-woods-age-41/

Don't know what that site is all about.

A "rising squeezer" .

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

So I went to bed thinking I might try to pick up a King LTD or LTD Pro driver... then woke up with an urge to buy a 2016 M2 driver instead... just normal WRX thoughts right?

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

So I went to bed thinking I might try to pick up a King LTD or LTD Pro driver... then woke up with an urge to buy a 2016 M2 driver instead... just normal WRX thoughts right?

Completely normal. Plus, I dont know anyone that has a 2016 M2 sitting around...

(lie)

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Tex- I have the Diablo tour 13 and it goes, but hate it off the tee. The sz almost has more of a hybrid look so that's interesting. I also wonder if I could just get the shaft a lil shorter bc the three wood shaft may be as long as my driver.

Fabb- hybrid is a 15 909 so it has a lil smaller sweetspot than some of the newer ones out there. I lve hit and think I like the callaway apex hybrid. Certainly open to other suggestions

Eagle- only one of us can work a cobra staff bag. Dark skin and salt and pepper beard. I cannot compete. I am looking at the sun mountain 130 but I wonder if it's too much to handle lol

I say all this. Maybe I should just get new irons. The are from '08 and I bought them in '10. First gen AP2's

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

How bad can the snow be? Its going to be over 60* for two days - no chance it sticks to the roads.

Then -

Saturday 62*

Sunday 62*

So...awesome...

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

JJ- go with your heart

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

JJ- go with your heart

I think for real I need to swing by one of your demo days. Chance to hit and really try things out.

I hate GG bc I feel like I'm being starred at when I actually try to see if I like something. Sorry I don't want to just go in and buy the merch you're trying to get off the floor lol

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

JJ-- Go with your heart...

I recommend Olney, Arundel or Nighthawk for guys wanting to hit stuff and see ball flights.

I have dealt with Alexa at GG and she knows her stuff and is a good fitter.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I've made more than my fair share of club changes for absolutely no reason, so don't let me discourage you lol.

Hybrids are just a very love/hate relationship for a lot of people. If you really love your 909, I'd recommend keeping it. The number of people I can think of that have a club between their 3/4 wood and longest iron that they love is pretty small. The number of us that have been perpetually cycling through clubs in that slot of the bag is much larger. If you're just looking for some recommendations, DT made a good one with the Adams clubs. They made some more iron-like hybrids that got a lot of love. I've really been enjoying my 815 BBA hybrid since I bought it at the beginning of last year. It's got a bit of a cult following as well, and can probably be had for cheap. The Apex looks a little smaller and more iron-like than the 815 BBA even. My buddy who's on Callaway staff has an Apex with a piece of rebar for a shaft, and hits sweet cuts with it all day.

Lots of good fairway wood options the last several years. The M-series last year was the bees knees. I had an original Callaway XR 4 wood that I liked pretty well, but ultimately wanted to go back to a 3 wood for more distance off the deck coming into par 5s. Gotta assume the XR16 was a good continuation on that, according to DT's review and Callaway Tex. The DC castoff M2 has been very good for me though. It made the fairway wood slot in my bag great again. You can go back as far as the RBZ/xhot lines and still get very good distance, if you're interested in saving a few bucks. The PING G-series fairways are always money. Some of the most forgiving and accurate, but not always the longest.

They used to have a couple bad apples at the GG in Columbia** that turned me off from the place, but I actually really enjoy their staff now. They seem to be pretty good about helping you as much as you want, but not hovering trying to make sales. It's my go to spot when I need some shiggles, so I definitely make a point to give them some of my golf purchasing business.

**Amusing Anecdote: The guy that most irked me at the Columbia GG is no longer there, but guess where he plays golf? Yep, Hobbits Glen. I've seen him out there a couple times this year. He was wearing an OG Titleist tour visor which gets him a few points in my book, but that guy was a real bonehead.

I've made more than my fair share of club changes for absolutely no reason, so don't let me discourage you lol.

Hybrids are just a very love/hate relationship for a lot of people. If you really love your 909, I'd recommend keeping it. The number of people I can think of that have a club between their 3/4 wood and longest iron that they love is pretty small. The number of us that have been perpetually cycling through clubs in that slot of the bag is much larger. If you're just looking for some recommendations, DT made a good one with the Adams clubs. They made some more iron-like hybrids that got a lot of love. I've really been enjoying my 815 BBA hybrid since I bought it at the beginning of last year. It's got a bit of a cult following as well, and can probably be had for cheap. The Apex looks a little smaller and more iron-like than the 815 BBA even. My buddy who's on Callaway staff has an Apex with a piece of rebar for a shaft, and hits sweet cuts with it all day.

Lots of good fairway wood options the last several years. The M-series last year was the bees knees. I had an original Callaway XR 4 wood that I liked pretty well, but ultimately wanted to go back to a 3 wood for more distance off the deck coming into par 5s. Gotta assume the XR16 was a good continuation on that, according to DT's review and Callaway Tex. The DC castoff M2 has been very good for me though. It made the fairway wood slot in my bag great again. You can go back as far as the RBZ/xhot lines and still get very good distance, if you're interested in saving a few bucks. The PING G-series fairways are always money. Some of the most forgiving and accurate, but not always the longest.

They used to have a couple bad apples at the GG in Columbia** that turned me off from the place, but I actually really enjoy their staff now. They seem to be pretty good about helping you as much as you want, but not hovering trying to make sales. It's my go to spot when I need some shiggles, so I definitely make a point to give them some of my golf purchasing business.

**Amusing Anecdote: The guy that most irked me at the Columbia GG is no longer there, but guess where he plays golf? Yep, Hobbits Glen. I've seen him out there a couple times this year. He was wearing an OG Titleist tour visor which gets him a few points in my book, but that guy was a real bonehead.

That's one of the main reasons why I dont use a FW is I just dont go for par 5's enough knowing that I'll get into trouble if I do. And if its off the tee, I'd still rather stick with a 2 iron and now that I was able to get one bent to 15*, it's been a sweet club in the bag. I'm debating on getting a 4/5w, but still wonder how much will I actually use it on the course.

I hated the staff in GG Columbia. I remember going there about 3 or 4 years ago, wanting to try out one of the new TM irons. He had this look like I was inconveniencing him. Finally when I was able to get him to try it out, I asked a couple of questions and he just sighed like I was asking too many damn questions. At that point, I just put the club down and walked out. I'll never buy there again. I much prefer the Rockville staff but Im biased cause I worked there for a month or two and was cool with everyone, though I'm not sure if they're there still.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

I hated the staff in GG Columbia. I remember going there about 3 or 4 years ago, wanting to try out one of the new TM irons. He had this look like I was inconveniencing him. Finally when I was able to get him to try it out, I asked a couple of questions and he just sighed like I was asking too many damn questions. At that point, I just put the club down and walked out. I'll never buy there again. I much prefer the Rockville staff but Im biased cause I worked there for a month or two and was cool with everyone, though I'm not sure if they're there still.

We're almost certainly talking about the same guy lol. He was awful. Just like you said, he always made it seem like you were asking for one of his kidneys any time you talked to him. He was also a d1ck about letting you hit in the "good" bay with the flightscope, even when it wasn't in use for a fitting or anything. I think he probably cost that store more sales and customers than anything. Glad he's gone, and pretty funny he's out at Hobbits.

The whole staff seems to have turned over in the past couple years, and I like the people they've got now.

We're almost certainly talking about the same guy lol. He was awful. Just like you said, he always made it seem like you were asking for one of his kidneys any time you talked to him. He was also a d1ck about letting you hit in the "good" bay with the flightscope, even when it wasn't in use for a fitting or anything. I think he probably cost that store more sales and customers than anything. Glad he's gone, and pretty funny he's out at Hobbits.

The whole staff seems to have turned over in the past couple years, and I like the people they've got now.

Probably is the same guy. I'd love to give that guy a stone cold stunner, and by stunner, I mean a nice punch to the temple with some brass knuckles. Dude was a giant dick. I'm not sure how someone can be that miserable in life, probably found out his wife cheated on him with a 3 week old rotting carrot or eggplant. Either way, I might have to stop by and see this new staff. I'm going to do my usual test to see if they're good or not...

*rolls into GG wearing Dickies looking like:

14636_193845981339_541761339_3952983_7171222_n.jpg

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

Tex- I have the Diablo tour 13 and it goes, but hate it off the tee. The sz almost has more of a hybrid look so that's interesting. I also wonder if I could just get the shaft a lil shorter bc the three wood shaft may be as long as my driver.

Henrik Stenson says don't replace that unless you absolutely have to or find something you know will be better (which apparently he did in Dubai, but we'll see how long that lasts).

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/henrik-stensons-3-wood-an-old-trusty-and-an-interesting-conversation-piece

Henrik-Stenson-3-wood.jpg

Note also his use of GP Tour Wrap Cord grips.

3LhbV9kqcbhte.gif

Toulon Palm Beach

Completely normal. Plus, I dont know anyone that has a 2016 M2 sitting around...

(lie)

200.gif

Toulon Palm Beach

How bad can the snow be? Its going to be over 60* for two days - no chance it sticks to the roads.

Then -

Saturday 62*

Sunday 62*

So...awesome...

Capital Weather Gang is only giving the snow event a 2/10 in terms of impact and even the odds are low, we might just get rain.

Toulon Palm Beach

i had a long (for me) text convo with tex about the epics. went from wanting a driver, to a 3wood, to thinking that i should just reconfig my M1, to trolling ebay for 3woods, to thinking i should just trade everything in and get a whole new bag.

yes, friends, these are the thoughts of a man at 1 am who needs to up his sleep debt so he can go to bed like a normal.

maybe i was too excited about playing today with city and pq?

i am a useless dog at work so far today.

sleepy-dog.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

i had a long (for me) text convo with tex about the epics. went from wanting a driver, to a 3wood, to thinking that i should just reconfig my M1, to trolling ebay for 3woods, to thinking i should just trade everything in and get a whole new bag.

yes, friends, these are the thoughts of a man at 1 am who needs to up his sleep debt so he can go to bed like a normal.

maybe i was too excited about playing today with city and pq?

i am a useless dog at work so far today.

sleepy-dog.jpg

Ur adorable.

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

You guys have no idea how many hours, day and night, at home and at work, I spend thinking about what clubs to carry between 4-iron to 3W. That even causes me the sleep debt sometimes.

And how much damn money I've wasted.

Toulon Palm Beach

You guys have no idea how many hours, day and night, at home and at work, I spend thinking about what clubs to carry between 4-iron to 3W. That even causes me the sleep debt sometimes.

And how much damn money I've wasted.

See if you can find last years M2 5W. Its 18*, really easy to hit off the tee *and* off the deck.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

thread note: i'm selling puppet's M2 3w. rogue 70x. hit me up before i either trade it in, or sell on BST.

TD (thread denizen) deal to be had for anyone who's looking for a new 3w.

#M23wnomore

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

thread note: i'm selling puppet's M2 3w. rogue 70x. hit me up before i either trade it in, or sell on BST.

TD (thread denizen) deal to be had for anyone who's looking for a new 3w.

#M23wnomore

Bring it today, would ya?

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

<REKT>

don't have it with me, sorry city. you got dibs tho.

If City don't like, I got second dibs.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S