2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Goose/Kent/City/anyone - How does SPCC/Pine Ridge/others run their season long match play events? Do they schedule specific days that everyone has to show up and play that round's matches or do you get X amount of weeks to get the match in for that round and it's up to you to schedule it.

SPCC has this weekend and next for match play every year. Lose and your done. I won my match today in some tough weather. Not many pars today just played it so I was one better than the guy I played. Chipping was brutal with the wet tight fairways. Water everywhere but on the greens. I had 4 doubles, all caused by wet - dense rough or chipping. Glad this round is over.

Goose/Kent/City/anyone - How does SPCC/Pine Ridge/others run their season long match play events? Do they schedule specific days that everyone has to show up and play that round's matches or do you get X amount of weeks to get the match in for that round and it's up to you to schedule it.

SPCC has this weekend and next for match play every year. Lose and your done. I won my match today in some tough weather. Not many pars today just played it so I was one better than the guy I played. Chipping was brutal with the wet tight fairways. Water everywhere but on the greens. I had 4 doubles, all caused by wet - dense rough or chipping. Glad this round is over.

So we used to have our club championship set up like this for 3 weekends - you had to commit to showing up at those times for your (potential) matches. I liked it but man people complained about having to commit "so much time". This year they basically said OK, for this round of matches, you get 4-5 weeks and here's the deadline date to play your match by. Naturally, its been a disaster. The other semi final match in A flight waited until the last weekend, got the weather they did and didnt want to play. Naturally I said whatever, I dont want one of you to win by default - so hoping they can play this week.

But if you cant find one common time to play 18 holes in a 5 week stretch - maybe a match play bracket event isnt for you.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Weather cooperated much better for the Monte clinic day 2. It rained heavily-ish for ~1 hour, then drizzled for an hour or two, then was basically dry the rest of the day. Started raining again as soon as we got in the car to leave, so the timing was great. 100% better than the first day since we had chances to hit real balls outside to reinforce things we were taught. The short game and putting stuff was great too. I had heard 95% of his short game and putting thoughts through his videos, but there was one interesting thing on putting that was important that I've never heard him talk about before.

For me, Monte really pointed out 3 things to work on over time. One of the 3 I had been told before and worked on, but hadn't succeeded. But when I did the other 2 things, it really made it far far easier to do that 1st thing that I had been told about before. It felt more like an effect than a cause. Probably only hit 50 balls over the course of the weekend, so I've got some work to do, but hit enough shots really well to know that it's going to help me out a ton.

There's a playing lesson tomorrow, but still not sure if I can go. It looked bad, but my boss just rescheduled the most important Monday thing to Tuesday. And I forgot my brand new rain jacket at the course, but the pro shop found it and set it aside for me. So I kind of have to go back, right? :)

Shot 9 over on the back nine today at Hunting Hawk. Played from the whites again and ended up carrying my bag. It was raining off and on for the first four holes.p and windy throughout hr round. I struggled off the tee for the first few holes, losing three tee shots. Ended up finishing strong off the tee hitting low fades and a low straight ball when needed into the wind and then hit a high draw with the wind. My stance with driver was super narrow at the beginning and then I widened it and voila everything was great. The wind gave me time to put into play the low shots I had been practicing. I had a tendency to get a little too quick and thinned a few but the miss was marginal.

I had a nice birdie on 16 which could have been an eagle. I hit my approach pin high with my 5 iron but I played the shot too far to the right because of the lie with the ball above my feet (I thought it would hook). On 18 I had a long breaking putt that went downhill and the wind really took it well past the hole. So an easy par turned bogey there. Overall I was happy with all my approach shots. Driving was good at the end of the round. I did flub two chips and for the most part my putting didn't give me any big fits.

DC... We have 8 man flights. What you usually do is the club has 1 weekend of a 2 day tournament. You need to commit to Saturday and Sunday or bye Felicia.

Then, each flight is down to one match and you're supposed to get that match in in a reasonable time. The club blocks off times for the following weekend, but you don't need to do that.

This year, however, we're switching to two day stroke play. Period. I don't like it but I'm not on the board, so wha ev.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

hqdefault.jpg

27147455236_6dfb5f9a3b_b.jpg

68488335.jpg

Lamb shank vindaloo, extra spicy for some of that burning love.

Expecting an early morning conference call.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Weather cooperated much better for the Monte clinic day 2. It rained heavily-ish for ~1 hour, then drizzled for an hour or two, then was basically dry the rest of the day. Started raining again as soon as we got in the car to leave, so the timing was great. 100% better than the first day since we had chances to hit real balls outside to reinforce things we were taught. The short game and putting stuff was great too. I had heard 95% of his short game and putting thoughts through his videos, but there was one interesting thing on putting that was important that I've never heard him talk about before.

For me, Monte really pointed out 3 things to work on over time. One of the 3 I had been told before and worked on, but hadn't succeeded. But when I did the other 2 things, it really made it far far easier to do that 1st thing that I had been told about before. It felt more like an effect than a cause. Probably only hit 50 balls over the course of the weekend, so I've got some work to do, but hit enough shots really well to know that it's going to help me out a ton.

There's a playing lesson tomorrow, but still not sure if I can go. It looked bad, but my boss just rescheduled the most important Monday thing to Tuesday. And I forgot my brand new rain jacket at the course, but the pro shop found it and set it aside for me. So I kind of have to go back, right? :)

Glad you guys had much better luck today and got to get out of the tent. Ha

Great meeting you yesterday Sulli. I'll see you tomorrow it looks like and if there is an opening in one of the groups. I'll slide out with you guys.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Great meeting you yesterday Sulli. I'll see you tomorrow it looks like and if there is an opening in one of the groups. I'll slide out with you guys.

CG2... I might be working the demo day up at your place on the 25th... still waiting to confirm my side of the schedule.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Good to meet you too. I really didnt put 2 and 2 together for awhile there.

Still not sure I'll make it tomorrow. I'm going to have another beer or few and decide :). Really nothing going on with work, so only a problem since I haven't brought it up with anyone yet.

I hate putting. I think I used at least a 1/2 dozen grip variations the other day. I could not get my hands comfortable on the grip

Did you try the garsen yet?

Not yet. Might put it on this week. I haven't done any club work in a while

If only you could drop it off with someone at work that would bring it back the next day...

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

CG2... I might be working the demo day up at your place on the 25th... still waiting to confirm my side of the schedule.

That'd be awesome. I'll be out there as there are a few things I want to try. I'll look for the cowboy hat LOL

Vokey

Lamb shank vindaloo, extra spicy for some of that burning love.

Expecting an early morning conference call.

You mean midnight conference call, right? Right?

"Unscheduled" or "surprise" might be more accurate.

*rummages for leftover baby wipes*

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

That'd be awesome. I'll be out there as there are a few things I want to try. I'll look for the cowboy hat LOL

I forgot to ask if that is allowed..... Im thinking as long as I get a Callaway logo put on it then it should be fine ;). If Im not there I know the guys will take care of you.

protos F4

I hate putting. I think I used at least a 1/2 dozen grip variations the other day. I could not get my hands comfortable on the grip

Did you try the garsen yet?

Not yet. Might put it on this week. I haven't done any club work in a while

I think DC is throwing a hint at you..

protos F4

Our matchplay has deadlines for each round. Had a match scheduled for the 29th, which was the last day to get it in. Last Friday, Opponent says he can't play. I say Ok Saturday the 28th am. He says no, and that I need to be flexible. I punched my computer monitor.

Then he said he's not playing in the rain, so he doesn't know what's going to happen. I'm going to stomp this guy if he ever hardens the f*** up and decides that he's not afraid to play me.

Alright I'm playing tomorrow. Unless my boss calls me at 8:30 when he sees my email :).

If I remember right, there were 10 original guys confirmed playing across 3 tee times, plus me being uncommitted. So there's likely another spot out there unless there is someone else that was in my position and shows up.

SPCC has a year long match play event. It is like many of you are saying, play your opponent in a period of time and then move on to the next player if you win. This however is a HDCP event that includes men and women. The club championship is over Memorial weekend match play and the stroke play is over Labor day. You have to commit to two weekends and I like that. You play and it is over.

I just ordered one of these putters. . .

For how unpopular they seem to be, I've found it hard to find them cheap.

I swung one in a shop once, and really liked the feel. Some dude seems to be unloading them on ebay.

It has a 360 gram head with a 33g shaft and a 10g grip. I've seen ZERO people actually using one in play.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I swung one in a shop once, and really liked the feel. Some dude seems to be unloading them on ebay.

It has a 360 gram head with a 33g shaft and a 10g grip. I've seen ZERO people actually using one in play.

is that the Bridgestone? I know they made one last year like that. I never tried rolling it though.

Vokey

is that the Bridgestone? I know they made one last year like that. I never tried rolling it though.

Yeah, the "true balance".

I rolled one in the pro-shop at the range by the airport once. I really liked the feel, but never rolled one at distance. There's dang-little around the internet, or this site, about them.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Nice - I had a friend who played one of these last summer. Firm feel. Didn't love the grip but that can be changed. Will be interested to see how it works out for you.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Nice - I had a friend who played one of these last summer. Firm feel. Didn't love the grip but that can be changed. Will be interested to see how it works out for you.

BTW, that video about the evolution of hip-hop rhyme schemes was bad-Word not allowed.

I never really listened to MF Doom. But, I did this weekend. Matter of fact, he played me in on my 77 Saturday. Delayed reaction, though.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Caves Valley.

Crickets in here today.

Golf Talk Monday : If you could play one round at any private club in DC, MD, or VA - which one do you choose?

EDIT: I didn't really think before posting, but I guess none of the private clubs are actually in DC.

Caves Valley.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

GTM: Caves Valley.

It just looked really fun when I watched a tournament out there. Lots of variety. Lots of elevation change. I love that area of the county.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green