Pros who smoke

wombat_vortex

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've personally seen John Daly, Steve Bowditch and Michael Allen smoke on the course.

Not making any judgements, just stating what I've seen. I don't enjoy being around the smoke and have strong feelings about it as it took the life of my father.

There are plenty of touring pros who use smokeless tobacco on a regular basis........as long as a player doesn't spit sunflower seeds or drop cigarette butts on/around the green, I don't care what they do.

I only smoke after sex. Haven't had a cigarette for 9 years. :(

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='dangerman77' timestamp='1431869641' post='11573186']I'm not sure it's the players that are avoiding the smoking on camera, but rather the networks' selective shots protecting us from witnessing such dastardly, fiendish acts.[/quote]

This is one reason you don't see a lot of caddie/player banter for Perez. He has played some really good rounds this year but you rarely even see his shots. He smokes a lot so they don't have a ton to show without it

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1431908501' post='11575632']
I have nothing against you but I REFUSE to be paired with you. Is that how it works? [/quote]

What he is against is riding with someone who smokes while he rides with him. I think that's pretty clear.

[quote]And I don't see where anyone argued you aren't allowed to dislike second hand smoke. I think the confusion, and what I called hypocrisy, is the idea that smoke from another guys cigar is heinous enough to demand not being paired with them yet be thoroughly enjoyable when the smoke rises from your own on a quarterly basis. I suppose it's possible I'm somehow presumptuous in assuming you enjoy them.
[/quote]

I think someone can see the error in his ways. Just because he smoked for however long doesn't mean he should embrace others doing it or opt to be around it. There's no indication that he smokes his occasional cigar anywhere near a course or around anyone else who doesn't want to smell it. If he was railing against occasionally smoking a cigar, and then occasionally smokes a cigar, then that's a different story.

I like to listen to music, but not on the course. I wouldn't want to be in a foursome where there's music playing, but the first thing I do when I get in my car is get some music on. I don't think that makes me a hypocrite. And I don't think this reformed smoker is one, either (based on the way things have been presented so far).

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1431908501' post='11575632']
I have nothing against you but I REFUSE to be paired with you. Is that how it works?

And I don't see where anyone argued you aren't allowed to dislike second hand smoke. I think the confusion, and what I called hypocrisy, is the idea that smoke from another guys cigar is heinous enough to demand not being paired with them yet be thoroughly enjoyable when the smoke rises from your own on a quarterly basis. I suppose it's possible I'm somehow presumptuous in assuming you enjoy them.
[/quote]
There's lots of people I have nothing against, but don't want to be paired with them based off something they do when they play golf, whether it's smoking, listening to loud music I don't like, stepping on my line, etc. What's so hard to understand about that sentiment? I stepped on someone's line before, so I guess I'm a hypocrite too.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1431903254' post='11575198']
Funny timing for this thread.

Last Thursday a good friend of mine died from cancer. Long time smoker, she was diagnosed about 18 months ago.

Just prior to her diagnosis she had quit smoking because she wanted to watch her only Grandson grow up.

I know the arguments....smoking doesn't kill everyone, nor does not smoking make you immortal.

However, in the past 5 years, I've buried 5 friends too early due to smoking related causes. (3 cancers, 2 hearts)

2 Facts:

1. Smoking has absolutely no redeeming qualities. none, nada, zilch.
2. If you are smart enough to be able to read this sentence, you are too smart to be a smoker.
[/quote]
Like your last two comments.
I just started my "Quit" April 13,2015
Want to be able to walk 18 holes.Also recently became a Grandpa.Wanna spend time with her.

[quote name='Orwell61' timestamp='1431968408' post='11579550']

Want to be able to walk 18 holes. Also recently became a Grandpa.Wanna spend time with her.
[/quote]

First off...

:sign:

Second, congratulations on your Granddaughter. My wife cannot wait to join the Grandparent club. I can.

And finally, great job on your quit! In July I will have been quit for 13 (14?) years. After smoking for 30 years, I can say without a doubt it's the best thing I ever did. With over a month behind you, your body is officially nicotine free, now any "urges" are all in your head.

Remember two things:

1. The urge to smoke will pass whether you smoke or not.
2.The secret to staying quit forever is to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF. Ever.

Good Job!

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1431974509' post='11580222']
Want to be able to walk 18 holes. Also recently became a Grandpa.Wanna spend time with her.
[/quote]

First off...

Second, congratulations on your Granddaughter. My wife cannot wait to join the Grandparent club. I can.

And finally, great job on your quit! In July I will have been quit for 13 (14?) years. After smoking for 30 years, I can say without a doubt it's the best thing I ever did. With over a month behind you, your body is officially nicotine free, now any "urges" are all in your head.

Remember two things:

Good Job!
[/quote]
Thanks...
Found this on-line.N.O.P.E.
Not One Puff Ever

The urges are strong.Like wanting to heave your putter after a stupid three-putt.But,that urge passes also.
30yr smoker also.One of the better uses for a computer I have found was a "I Quit" website
Lots of help.

I used to smoke. Now I do all natural vapor stuff. I can't wait to see a pro switch over to that and blow out stupid clouds of vapor...

Then they could blow it on each other like this! LOL

11311428_865558686846609_1975748449_n.jpg

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

I saw Nicholas Colsaerts vaping last year at Quail Hollow.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='f5joe' timestamp='1431915752' post='11576418']
There is no correct answer here. I hate to be around smoke ...... not smokers. I cannot stand the affect on me.

My parents both died from the results of smoking. I hated that. But I don't care if you smoke. I just don't want to be around smoke.
[/quote]

Your avatar is smokin!

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1431974509' post='11580222']
[/quote]

First off...

Remember two things:

Good Job!
[/quote]Could not agree more with your two points.
Quit six years ago that being said I still think I played better when I smoked although my handicap probably has only gone up a stroke and a half and Im also older but hey Im defiantly healthier

[quote name='Dave230' timestamp='1431866321' post='11572988']
Think it was Spencer Levin who went through a pack on the back nine when in contention a while back.
[/quote]

I remember that tourney. I know US TV cameras are very conscious about not showing golfers smokers on the course, but besides when swinging the club he had a cigg in his mouth the entire time. While discussing shots with his caddy, while walking to his ball and on the green while reading putts. Was impossible not to show it.

I have seen Roger Maltby smoking between interviews. I noticed currently smoking smongst euro players is a little more prevalent then among US players.

I remember 30 years ago watching The Masters, and Maltbie was in contention. My then young (like 10 years old) neice was aghast. "He's Smoking! Doesn't he know he's on TV?" Mid 1980s and CBS wasn't particularly shy about showing it then. Then my niece says "Well, I was rooting for the fat guy but since he smokes I hope he loses."...

Fast Forward to the last Masters, and the gush-fest around Crenshaw's last round. He was walking along that bridge between the 12th tee and green, very peaceful, very calm, smoking one. Probably not the way he wanted to be remembered on his last day, given that I think he tries to not do that on TV. I've never seen him doing that.

I went to college in the early '70s, and I remember smoking in certain lectures. Some profs would not allow it, but with some it was cool.I quit in 1975 when I was 22 , which I consider to be the nicest thing I ever did for myself.

I am one of those former smokers who simply can't stand 2nd hand smoke. Makes me want to puke. One of the happiest days was when NY State made it illegal to allow smoking in bars and restaurants. I can live with it outside though. If my buddies want to smoke cigars on the course, I can stay clear. Unless the mosquitos are out, then I hover around the smoke enough to keep the bugs off of me.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Love this photo

i4mMBJ9.jpg

Ideal role models,

That's a great photo on many levels. As far as being role models, you have to put it into the context of the times. In those days there was no stigma attached to smoking. If you were on an elevator with 7 people, 5 of them would be smoking. If you were 10 years old, too bad. Suck it in, kid.

Ever see pictures of the Montreal Forum or Boston Garden in the '50s or 60's? So thick with smoke you could walk on it. Heck, Red Aurbach would light up a cigar on the Celtic's bench once the game was on ice. Different times.

I'm surprised there is nobody in the gallery smoking.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Nicolas Colsaerts does too.

Hit a whole bag of balls at the Portugal Masters last year and the cig never left his mouth.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1431882343' post='11573888']
This iconic photo of Ben Hogan and Arnold Palmer at the Masters adorns a few resort hotel rooms.

Supposedly Hogan was a Chesterfield man, and Palmer had a contract with a major cigarette brand.

In another iconic photo of their duel at the British Open at Turnberry-
with both Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus down on the rocks, it appears Tom Watson is "cupping one".
This was confirmed in person at the US Open at Baltusrol.

Though Jack Nicklaus did smoke, he didn't light up on the golf course...
[/quote]
[attachment=2764320:arnie and jack heating up.jpg]

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

Love this photo

i4mMBJ9.jpg

My absolute Favorite Tour Pic!!

Got Mr. Palmer to sign a print as a gift to my Father though never got the other Gent, lol

When I asked him, he smiled and said, "I should make you get Ben's first."

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My Main Man!!

HaHa, Sam switched schmags in the middle of the stream, and look what happened!!

That's what helped him turn the corner and he started winning green jackets and tourneys by the boat loads :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Lodestone' timestamp='1432078465' post='11589412']
off topic, but referring to that picture. I've never seen Arnold Palmer in person. He doesn't look any bigger than Ben Hogan in that shot. How tall would you say AP is (or was in his younger days)?
[/quote]He was listed at 5'10' and I'd say that's pretty accurate cuz my Father is 5'11' and when I met him for the first time in the early 90's he was about an inch shorter though I saw him in December of last year and he has the typical curvature of the spine that effects all as they age, he was probably about 5'8-5'9" tall.

He was a few inches taller than Ben Hogan however that's probably the angle of the shot-

Have a nice evening Lodes :)

All the Best,
Richard