2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Pros who smoke

wombat_vortex

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1431946862' post='11577460']
I only smoke after sex. Haven't had a cigarette for 9 years. :(
[/quote]

Don't forget to buy your wife a present. I'm sure your 10th wedding anniversary is coming up soon.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='johnnypro' timestamp='1432136976' post='11593966']
Why does Golfwrx continue to open new threads on smoking? There must have been dozens of them started over the last few years and they all wind up the same - with the non-smokers relating their near-death experiences from being within two fairways of some guy sucking on a Marlboro Light.
"My throat constricts if I'm within 100 feet of a cigarette."
"I get chest pains just being near cigarette smoke."
"I had a two footer to win the club championship but I caught a whiff of some guy’s cigarette and started convulsing."

Until they ban it completely in public, GET OVER IT!
[/quote]

Wow. a lot of emotion there. did you just step off of a 4 hour airline flight? Don't you hate it that you can't open the window in those airplane toilets? And it's against the law to disable the smoke alarm? WTF???
Just go backwards through security, and blaze a heater. You have plenty of time to get back through security and make your connection.
Enjoy your addiction.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

[quote name='Spongerob' timestamp='1431876640' post='11573570']
Dale Hawerchuck used to smoke between periods. Guy Lafleur and Mike Bossy used to smoke on the bench! Incredible to me that they could perform at the super star level with impaired lung function. Capacity to spare I guess...
[/quote]

Funny you mention this...a former coworker of mine who worked for the San Jose Sharks told me that Al Iafrate had his own chair and table outside of the dressing room to puff away numerous ciggies between periods. They clearly contributed to his wicked slapshot and unparalleled skullet.

Callaway Rogue 10.5*

TaylorMade 300 Mini 13.5*

Callaway Rogue 17*
Ping G400 4-UW
Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 60* Eye 2
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='Shawn Paul' timestamp='1432143554' post='11594674']
If you're not a smoker its pretty tough to be around smokers. Smokers don't realize how bad it smells, but I get it. Not to judge but just remember smoking is about the worst thing for you and if you can quit good on ya.

Would it be totally unprecedented if a modern golfer went and got tobacco sponsored? What would we say?
[/quote] I think its illegal to be sponsored by a tobacco company. I'm like 99% sure it is up here and think it is in the States too which is why you don't see anyone.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='ccorrada' timestamp='1432142375' post='11594566']
Funny, I used to smoke but I never smoked while I played golf, I dipped instead (and still do). For me it was too much to deal with in between shots, putting it on the ground, etc.
[/quote]Never smoked schmags though I used to smoke 3-4 cigars/week in the evenings only, however I've dipped since I was 14yo(Cope). Obviously, my bout with esophageal cancer two years ago put a crimp in that and I quit.

However, after the stroke and then the diagnosis of this optic/eye cancer, well, I dip maybe once a day, usually in the evening, though not every night.

I know that it's not good for me, however sometimes I get "down," and I get real tense, and mentally, it seems to have a calming effect.

Madison(my GF) has been an incredible pillar of strength for me to lean on, and she has literally picked me up off of the ground more times than I can count, however, sometimes when I'm in chemo/radiation, I'll think of sitting on my back porch with a dip in in the evening.

Haha, how screwed up is that?!?!?

I used to keep a dip in for 4-5 holes, and I swallow, don't spit, and I'd have the dip in from 1 tee to 18 green-

Boy, do I miss all of that, haha

Have a nice evening Gals & Gents :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1432170048' post='11597550']
Funny, I used to smoke but I never smoked while I played golf, I dipped instead (and still do). For me it was too much to deal with in between shots, putting it on the ground, etc.
[/quote]Never smoked schmags though I used to smoke 3-4 cigars/week in the evenings only, however I've dipped since I was 14yo(Cope). Obviously, my bout with esophageal cancer two years ago put a crimp in that and I quit.

However, after the stroke and then the diagnosis of this optic/eye cancer, well, I dip maybe once a day, usually in the evening, though not every night.

I know that it's not good for me, however sometimes I get "down," and I get real tense, and mentally, it seems to have a calming effect.

Madison(my GF) has been an incredible pillar of strength for me to lean on, and she has literally picked me up off of the ground more than I can count, however, sometimes when I'm in chemo/radiation, I'll think of sitting on my back porch with a dip in in the evening.

I used to keep a dip in for 4-5 holes, and I swallow, don't spit, and I'd have the dip in from 1 tee to 18 green-

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Holy Sh!t.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

[quote name='SplashShot' timestamp='1432224386' post='11601500']
I remember when I attended a Western Open at Cog Hill, I followed Justin Leonard for a little while and was surprised when he lit one up on the course. I thought to myself.. "Can they do that??!!" then realized these are normal guys in their place of work and a lot of them smoke.
[/quote]

Justin Leonard? Bit of a surprise..

Thought that dude was a health nut..

Madison(my GF) has been an incredible pillar of strength for me to lean on, and she has literally picked me up off of the ground more times than I can count, however, sometimes when I'm in chemo/radiation, I'll think of sitting on my back porch with a dip in in the evening.

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Richard is a confirmed, mother xxxxxx gangster.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

[quote name='Eidolon' timestamp='1432084376' post='11590140']
Get a life dude. The topic was pros who smoke .
[/quote]
I'll get back on topic, if you will.......
My life is fine though, thank you for asking.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1431905785' post='11575406']
[quote name='hell_is_chrome' timestamp='1431887454' post='11574184']
[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1431879489' post='11573722']
[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1431875035' post='11573482']
I use to smoke and I also chewed Skoal. Sometimes I smoked with Skoal in my mouth. I quit smoking many yrs.ago but continued to chew Skoal for 30 yrs.until I quit chewing. I enjoy a few cigars a yr. now but that is it. Call me what ever you want but I can't stand to be around a smoker. I have actually refused to be paired up with smokers before. Smelling cigarette smoke and especially cigar smoke bothers me to no end.
[/quote]

So you used to smoke. And chew. And chewed for 30 years. And still smoke cigars. But you now tell the pro shop you refuse to be around a smoker in an outdoors environment. Got it.
[/quote]

And you are criticizing someone that you don't even know for living his life the way he sees fit. Got it.

As a former smoker myself I understand where he is coming from, but please by all means continue to tell me how I should live.
[/quote]

It does seem that for someone that has smoked a good bit and quit they become over sensitive to the smoke. My wife quit smoking the same time I did and she can't stand the smell either.
[/quote]

You can add my anecdotal support to that statement. I smoked for 20 years and, since quitting, have become hypersensitive to second hand smoke. My sense of smell is generally terrible but it seems I'm now able to smell a cigarette on a green from the tee box. I certainly didn't expect that "side effect" as in my early stages of quitting, I had no problem being around second hand smoke.

I try not to be that "militant anti-smoker" though. The few times I was in a group with a smoker/s, I found it fairly easy to stay upwind of the smell. It never occurred to me to ask to not be paired with a smoker. I just don't have it in me to exclude a smoker like that because I was once that guy myself.

Besides, and I stand by this regardless of what non-smokers say, I've never had a bad time in the company of a smoker (ok, maybe once). I don't know what it is but I find that a lot of golfers that smoke just tend to be more easy-going, more tolerant and make great conversation.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='bcgolfer01' timestamp='1432221894' post='11601092']
you swallowed the dip spit ?!?!!?

theres goes my appetite for lunch....
[/quote]

WTF are you talking about. THAT is good etiquette. :taunt: You know how sh*t that cup looks after dude has been spitting brown sludge in that puppy all day?

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Now THAT is the ultimate in etiquette. Instead of having the sh*t cup sitting in the cart, making his ride partner blow chunks, the player swallows! I love it!

Good ON ya.

Have a great season!!!!

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1432224086' post='11601460']
Richard,
Now that's Oldschool!!!
[/quote]I went to a private Boys' Military school from 7th grade through my HS Graduation. Obviously, we weren't allowed to chew or smoke, and quite a few guys chewed Skoal and since I liked dipping though it wasn't allowed, and due to whatever was in Skoal, when I swallowed it upset my stomach. I could put some Cope in, and go through the school day and no teachers noticed, lol.

Cope, I had no problem with and in fact, up until I had my bout of cancer, I'd fall asleep with a nice pinch in, lol

Plus, Cope stays where I put it and everything else would "spread," lol, especially at night ;)

So, while most found Cope stronger than Skoal, for me, it was the opposite, haha

And yea, my Buds who dipped Skoal had those disgusting cups and that slimy stuff dribbling down their chins, lmao, and that was gross.

You'd never know that I had it in-

Madison & my Parents know when I have it in, though no one else does, including close friends.

Like I said, whenever I had a club in my hand, I had a pinch in my mouth.

I have it in in the pic below, and yea, I have always and still do brush my teeth 4 times/day. I'm too damn vain to have yellow teeth, lol

Take care OS, I hope all's well :)

All the Besf,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1432256422' post='11605100']
[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1432224086' post='11601460']
Richard,
Now that's Oldschool!!!
[/quote]i went to a private Boys' Military school from 7th grade through my HS Graduation. Obviously, we weren't allowed to chew or smoke, and quite a few guys chewed Skoal and since I liked dipping though it wasn't allowed, and due to whatever was in Skoal, when I swallowed it upset my stomach. I could put some Cope in, and go through the school day and no teachers noticed, lol.

Cope, I had no problem with and in fact, up until I had my bout of cancer, I'd fall asleep with a nice pinch in, lol

Plus, Cope stays where I put it and everything else would "spread," lol, especially at night ;)

So, while most found Cope stronger than Skoal, for me, it was the opposite, haha

And yea, my Buds who dipped Skoal had those disgusting cups and that slimy stuff dribbling down their chins, lmao, and that was gross.

You'd never know that I had it in-

Madison & my Parents know when I have it in, though no one else does, including close friends.

Like I said, whenever I had a club in my hand, I had a pinch in my mouth.

I have it in in the pic below, and yea, I have always and still do brush my teeth 4 times/day. I'm too damn vain to have yellow teeth, lol

Take care OS, I hope all's well :)

All the Besf,
Richard
[/quote] I agree with you Richard. I do enjoy a little pinch of cope when I'm closing the shop down. And yea no spit cups.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

If we want to talk about dippers, Daniel Berger loves it apparently. I saw a tweet from a guy who played with him in the Kentucky am I believe. Apparently they made the turn, hit their tee balls, Berger gets to his ball in the fairway, goes to his bag, realizes he's out of cope, refuses to hit another shot until he runs the half mile or whatever back to his car to grab a fresh tin.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1432261465' post='11605644']
If we want to talk about dippers, Daniel Berger loves it apparently. I saw a tweet from a guy who played with him in the Kentucky am I believe. Apparently they made the turn, hit their tee balls, Berger gets to his ball in the fairway, goes to his bag, realizes he's out of cope, refuses to hit another shot until he runs the half mile or whatever back to his car to grab a fresh tin.
[/quote]

Addictive behavior at it finest.

Once the drug (nicotine) grabs hold, your ingesting it because you [b][i][u]need[/u][/i][/b] to, the addict convinces himself he only wants to.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1432317403' post='11609328']
[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1432261465' post='11605644']
[/quote]
the addict convinces himself he only wants to.
[/quote]HaHa, Nah, I need to....

Later Ed: 05/24/15, 6:40pm-> H3P, that reminds me of all the peeps who tell ya "I'm a social drinker," "I only use cocaine 'socially,'" or this Putz who kept bumming a dip off of me in a 2012 Tourney, and he said "Yea, I dip socially," LMAO. And he didn't swallow!! I wish there was a rule violation for askin ;)

Yea, socially, got it!!

Putzes!!

Stay well Bro & have a great Holiday weekend :)

All the Best,
Richard

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1432508842' post='11619908']
KC QB Len Dawson enjoying a smoke during the Superbowl:

[attachment=2772212:len-dawson-cig-super-bowl-01192014.jpg]
[/quote]

Okay, now I'm wondering whatever happened to Fresca? :dntknw:

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

[quote name='stryper' timestamp='1432513237' post='11620224']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1432508842' post='11619908']
KC QB Len Dawson enjoying a smoke during the Superbowl:

[attachment=2772212:len-dawson-cig-super-bowl-01192014.jpg]
[/quote]

Okay, now I'm wondering whatever happened to Fresca? :dntknw:
[/quote]

There are like four different flavors of Fresca including the original. Right in your grocer's soft drink aisle. It's super refreshing, like a Marlboro Light on a hot Summer day.