2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Pros who smoke

wombat_vortex

Smoking is always a choice and we are free to make that choice...but because of the inherent addiction that follows, quitting no longer is a "choice" per se for some, once the addiction is entrenched...I would venture to say most smokers honestly wished they never made the choice.

For children and particularly teenagers, never starting during that vulnerable period of life, may be their only chance for an easy choice. We need to support kids in never choosing to smoke.

I absolutely support, not highlighting smokers and smoking in all walks of life, because "the cool" factor and the mystic of smoking will always attract kids...more so than the reality of pictures or explaining the devastating results will detract ..no one believes it will happen to them.

It is true, some smokers, live to their 80's, but most will develop some symptoms and at least one smoking related illness. I work in cancer care and not all smokers develop lung cancers, but most lung cancers are related to smoking, either directly or indirectly to those exposed to second hand smoke. There is just no "safe" level of consumption, if your DNA makeup is vulnerable to the mutations, which smoking "promotes" in normal cells. I once met a younger woman with end stage lung cancer who smoked just 4 cigarettes a day for 10 years. Trust me it is a terrible disease.

Smokers can only be role models, if they use their example, to emphasize to kids to never take up the addiction in the first place. Established smokers, are just not easily convinced to quit, as their opinions are set and their choices made and the magnitude of the addiction makes it difficult (but definitely not impossible) to quit - it is our impressionable youth where we will begin to make more progress. This is where the front-lines exist in the war on smoking related illnesses.

To smokers, I respectfully request that you consider not "boasting" to our youth about your apparent "good fortune" (so far) that you have smoked such and such amount and do not have lung cancer or coronary heart disease, [i]especially when you are still vulnerable[/i] - I sincerely hope you never reach that critical tipping point, where a cancerous mutation in one cell cannot be eliminated or controlled by the body's own defenses. For children, they mostly understand and perceive life, based on what they see and hear (although they are incredibly imaginative) and the comments will disguise and deceive what may already be taking place inside.

Your "good fortune" unfortunately could still run out... please always consider each new day as an opportunity to quit.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1431879489' post='11573722']
[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1431875035' post='11573482']
I use to smoke and I also chewed Skoal. Sometimes I smoked with Skoal in my mouth. I quit smoking many yrs.ago but continued to chew Skoal for 30 yrs.until I quit chewing. I enjoy a few cigars a yr. now but that is it. Call me what ever you want but I can't stand to be around a smoker. I have actually refused to be paired up with smokers before. Smelling cigarette smoke and especially cigar smoke bothers me to no end.
[/quote]

So you used to smoke. And chew. And chewed for 30 years. And still smoke cigars. But you now tell the pro shop you refuse to be around a smoker in an outdoors environment. Got it.
[/quote]

And you are criticizing someone that you don't even know for living his life the way he sees fit. Got it.

As a former smoker myself I understand where he is coming from, but please by all means continue to tell me how I should live.

I think the issues with teen alcohol consumption far exceeds teen smoking.

Every sporting event I have been to sells alcohol and the patrons consume that alcohol in front of children and teens in attendance. Some do it to excess and are visibly drunk.

I don't see nor hear the same call to arms over that issue.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

This iconic photo of Ben Hogan and Arnold Palmer at the Masters adorns a few resort hotel rooms.

Supposedly Hogan was a Chesterfield man, and Palmer had a contract with a major cigarette brand.

In another iconic photo of their duel at the British Open at Turnberry-

with both Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus down on the rocks, it appears Tom Watson is "cupping one".

This was confirmed in person at the US Open at Baltusrol.

Though Jack Nicklaus did smoke, he didn't light up on the golf course...

Somewhere early in Jack's career he mentioned that he saw himself on TV smoking and he didn't like the way it looked so he quit. I don't know if he quit smoking period or only on the golf course, but at least there is this:

2a9bc9cf6188097e04c7350907398933.jpg

Jack-Nicklaus.jpg

[quote name='hell_is_chrome' timestamp='1431887454' post='11574184']
I use to smoke and I also chewed Skoal. Sometimes I smoked with Skoal in my mouth. I quit smoking many yrs.ago but continued to chew Skoal for 30 yrs.until I quit chewing. I enjoy a few cigars a yr. now but that is it. Call me what ever you want but I can't stand to be around a smoker. I have actually refused to be paired up with smokers before. Smelling cigarette smoke and especially cigar smoke bothers me to no end.
[/quote]

So you used to smoke. And chew. And chewed for 30 years. And still smoke cigars. But you now tell the pro shop you refuse to be around a smoker in an outdoors environment. Got it.
[/quote]

And you are criticizing someone that you don't even know for living his life the way he sees fit. Got it.

As a former smoker myself I understand where he is coming from, but please by all means continue to tell me how I should live.
[/quote]

Well in fairness, the dude is ultimately saying he would refuse to be paired with.....wait for it.... himself. If that's not blatant hypocrisy I don't know what is.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

When I w watched live golf in the 90 those guys used to smoke and drink, there used to be a bit more character(not that drink and smoking make you cool) and everything was a bit more relaxed. Now its all sponsors and minders and corporate crap. I stopped smoking when I had kids.... but if Ive got a drink and the wife is not around I might have the odd cigar

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1431888182' post='11574222']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well in fairness, the dude is ultimately saying he would refuse to be paired with.....wait for it.... himself. If that's not blatant hypocrisy I don't know what is.
[/quote]

He's a former cigarette smoker and an occasional cigar smoker. Nice try though.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1431896089' post='11574692']
I remember when you could go out drinking and put a few quarters in the machine, pull the lever, buy a pack of

Marlboro!

And smoke em right there.
[/quote]

The world used to be a better place. Now they're $8.00 a pack and to enjoy one when you're out drinking you have to go out back and stand around a burning barrel with a couple guys with newspapers stuffed in their jackets to stay warm.

[attachment=2761308:IMG_1932.JPG][quote name='yosemitesam' timestamp='1431887777' post='11574202']
Roger Maltbie is a big smoker.
[/quote]

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='hell_is_chrome' timestamp='1431895193' post='11574644']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's exactly the point. He occasionally smokes a cigar, but also says "Smelling cigarette smoke [b]and especially cigar smoke[/b] bothers me to no end."

Do you not see the hypocrisy in that? Will ask the pro shop to not pair him with someone who smokes, and especially hates the smell of cigar smoke, but smokes cigars. I almost gave myself a headache even typing that.

[quote name='hell_is_chrome' timestamp='1431895193' post='11574644']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

he's an occasional cigar smoker who is "bothered to NO END, especially by cigar smoke" Unless it's his own. What are you missing here?

I'd reciprocate the "nice try" but if you don't find something fundamentally FUBAR with that logic, I can't even give you credit for the effort.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Funny timing for this thread.

Last Thursday a good friend of mine died from cancer. Long time smoker, she was diagnosed about 18 months ago.

Just prior to her diagnosis she had quit smoking because she wanted to watch her only Grandson grow up.

I know the arguments....smoking doesn't kill everyone, nor does not smoking make you immortal.

However, in the past 5 years, I've buried 5 friends too early due to smoking related causes. (3 cancers, 2 hearts)

2 Facts:

1. Smoking has absolutely no redeeming qualities. none, nada, zilch.
2. If you are smart enough to be able to read this sentence, you are too smart to be a smoker.

X________________________________ Sign Here

With good friends in a few pro leagues (NHL, MLB, NFL) I'm still surprised by the copious amount of drugs that go around, as well as the amount of smokers. I'm not sure how or what gets past the tests, it's bizarre really. Especially weed.
I'm going to assume that golf is the same, with sponsors and media keeping a close eye on exposure as per usual.

I don't smoke regularly, but without fail I smoke while fishing, after hockey, and on the golf course. As I still get a minor buzz, I'm sure it helps me relax & focus, and it's nice to be able to leave my vices together!

I certainly knew I would get reamed for my way of thinking. Yes I find the smoke from tobacco products very annoying to be around. I don't see the hypocrisy in my way of thinking. I never said I had anything against some one that smokes Only that I don't care to be around the smoke. Yes I have a few cigars a yr. And when I smoke them it is my choice to do it and I guarantee you no one is smelling my smoke. I don't even smoke any on my deck because I get the smell from my neighbors puffing away on theirs all the time so I know they would smell mine. Smoking is every ones choice but it is also something that can be hazard to your health and to others breathing your second hand smoke. So smoke away but don't think everyone is ok breathing your smoke. I make my choice to smoke a few cigars a yr but I don't not choose to smell your smoke on a daily basis or expect someone to smell mine a few times a yr.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It does seem that for someone that has smoked a good bit and quit they become over sensitive to the smoke. My wife quit smoking the same time I did and she can't stand the smell either.

I have nothing against you but I REFUSE to be paired with you. Is that how it works?

And I don't see where anyone argued you aren't allowed to dislike second hand smoke. I think the confusion, and what I called hypocrisy, is the idea that smoke from another guys cigar is heinous enough to demand not being paired with them yet be thoroughly enjoyable when the smoke rises from your own on a quarterly basis. I suppose it's possible I'm somehow presumptuous in assuming you enjoy them.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1431896770' post='11574736']
[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1431896089' post='11574692']
I remember when you could go out drinking and put a few quarters in the machine, pull the lever, buy a pack of

Marlboro!

And smoke em right there.
[/quote]

The world used to be a better place. Now they're $8.00 a pack and to enjoy one when you're out drinking you have to go out back and stand around a burning barrel with a couple guys with newspapers stuffed in their jackets to stay warm.
[/quote]

If you really want too quit, move to AUS... run anywhere up too $20AUS a packet...... I gave up Masters Weekend last year. I do want one every now and again and don't mind the smell of them but just expensive here

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1431882343' post='11573888']
This iconic photo of Ben Hogan and Arnold Palmer at the Masters adorns a few resort hotel rooms.

Supposedly Hogan was a Chesterfield man, and Palmer had a contract with a major cigarette brand.

In another iconic photo of their duel at the British Open at Turnberry-
with both Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus down on the rocks, it appears Tom Watson is "cupping one".
This was confirmed in person at the US Open at Baltusrol.

Though Jack Nicklaus did smoke, he didn't light up on the golf course...
[/quote]

Nicklaus did smoke on the course until he seen himself on television doing it then quit.

I have people in my family that smoke. Doesnt bother me to be around. Its whatever floats your boat I guess. My grandpa started smoking when he was 10 years old and smoked for 55 years. He also has chewed levi garrett for over 70 years. He just turned 84 in March and still is chuggin along. Its weird how that stuff works.