2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

the aging golfer

I have been a hack my entire golfing life.. until recently. I started playing about the time I turned 21 so I learned to drink and play golf simultaneously. I never became very good at either.

28 years later I have been taking it more seriously. My kids play, I don't drink on the course, I bought decent irons for the first time in my life and I actually practice a bit.

Next week I turn 49. Right now I am strong and fit. I play stiff iron shafts and get a good turn. My hands are strong and fast. I can compress the ball and smash it like never before. Only in the last two years have I ever really, properly struck a golf ball.

I have to admit its allot more fun now.

So tell me Doc, how much time do I have left? Can you guys who are (older) still feel the ball compress with an iron? That feel, I think, is what I'll miss more than anything when it goes away.

When the game, for you, goes into course management mode does some of the lust go with it?

Or do you even notice?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 57. Got away from the game almost entirely 3 years ago. ( eye problems) I was longer at 54, than in my 20's because I learned to play over the years I played nine holes last week alone, for the first time in quite a while and I could see a huge difference in my yardage immediately. Almost 2 clubs in the irons. I know most of it is from not playing regularly, but I could feel a little loss of strength. After the 3rd hole, I put a make shift swing together and got along fairly well.

Carded a 45 with 3 doubles, and a fluke birdie.

I was surely in course management mode......lol.

Had fun, and I plan on getting out a little more in the future.

Start some sort of core strengthening regiment. It will help to offset the inevitable loss of strength. I do yoga regularly which helps with balance, flexibility and core strength. I am 54 and am hitting the ball as far as I ever have. I know that will start to decline some day, but I believe core strength is the best thing you can do to offset it.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM 5 - Speeder Evolution SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7-AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom

[quote name='alittleoverpar' timestamp='1432850410' post='11645720']
Start some sort of core strengthening regiment. It will help to offset the inevitable loss of strength. I do yoga regularly which helps with balance, flexibility and core strength. I am 54 and am hitting the ball as far as I ever have. I know that will start to decline some day, but I believe core strength is the best thing you can do to offset it.
[/quote]

Totally agree on the core strength & flexibilty.. I do a lot physical work, so my basic overall strength is as good as 3 years ago, but what I lack is flexibility. Balance was a problem during my last round for the first few holes.

Got the core bit down. Golf is played on Saturdays and Sundays are spent 75' behind our ski boat. I still wakeboard and barefoot. Heck my 48yo wife and mom of three gets first pull every time out. Living in South FL. there is no real off season for either sport. Two days a week I'm in the gym with my 14 yo son who seems to take joy from seeing the old man in pain. So, yeah I'm in shape and plan to stay that way.
BUT... you cant stop time and sooner or later I'll be seeing hybrids where my long irons used to live and suddenly there may be more than two graphite shafts in the bag. The top line on the irons will get thicker, keeping pace with my glasses. No amount of sit ups is gonna keep it away for ever.
I guess I could answer it with my eyes. The courses are full of older dudes and they seem to have fun. They cant all have bitchy wives. My curiosity is simply do you miss the feel of crushing it and does that loss take away from what you enjoy about golf?

I'll be 61 in August. Don't drink, don't smoke, still walk when I play, walk my dog 3 mile almost every day. Still using stiff steel, and I am hitting as long as I ever have.My 87 year old father is still playing, and still trying to get better. Take care of yourself, and you have many years to play.

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1432849907' post='11645662']
I am 57. Got away from the game almost entirely 3 years ago. ( eye problems) I was longer at 54, than in my 20's because I learned to play over the years I played nine holes last week alone, for the first time in quite a while and I could see a huge difference in my yardage immediately. Almost 2 clubs in the irons. I know most of it is from not playing regularly, but I could feel a little loss of strength. After the 3rd hole, I put a make shift swing together and got along fairly well.

Carded a 45 with 3 doubles, and a fluke birdie.

I was surely in course management mode......lol.

Had fun, and I plan on getting out a little more in the future.
[/quote]Hello, I turn 57 on Saturday. I see some distance loss to, but play fairly frequent. Good Luck on your come back, just work on your flexibility !!!

I'm turning 54 this year and am enjoying the game more than ever. I guess i feel this way because after a few years of serious health challenges, injuries and surgeries, I have a new appreciation for life and the peace of mind I find on the course.

Titleist 913D3 7.75* w/RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Flex
Titleist 913F 12.75* w/RIP Phenom 80 Stiff Flex
Titleist 983K 8.5* w/Project X 7C3 Stiff Flex
Callaway FT Tour 18* w/Project X 5.5 Graphite
Titleist 690.MB 2-Pw w/Project X Flighted 6.0
Vokey Spin-Milled - 54/11, 59/06 & 64/07 w/TTS300
Yes! Nicky @ 32" w/UST Freq Filtered Shaft
Yes! Callie-fc Blackout @ 31.5" (Alternate 1)
Odyssey Black Series #1 w/UST Freq. Filtered Shaft
IOmic Grips throughout the bag...

I'm 63 and playing the best golf of my life. My game got a whole lot better once I retired 5+ years ago because I play 3x a week and practice regularly. Equipment also helps as does keeping active. It also helps that I have a bigger golf brain than I did when I was young and thought I had to hit every shot as far as I could. I play every week with guys in their 70's who still drive the ball 240+ and break par.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I just turned 98. I do 1000 sit ups and 1000 push ups a day, plus run 8 miles after I walk the dog 23 blocks. I am 4 irons longer than when I was 22, even when adjusted for "loft inflation." I usually walk 36 a day and if I am in the mood and it is not free chips and salsa night at Chili's I will do 54 holes, often in 100+ degree weather.

I am still swinging x-stiff shafts and when I feel particularly frisky I bust out the persimmon on men's night.

I still swing in perfect balance so I don't require golf shoes. I use New Balance walking shoes with Velcro. I have played in the Florida monsoon's and during a 72 hole outing at Bandon in a soaker and did not slip once.

I was working on my core before Hitler stormed into France.

Still a +3 from the tips at Del Bocca Vista CC. 7700 yds, slope of 188.

I don't smoke and don't drink, but I did have a McDonald's burger back in 55 when I was dating this little honey from California. Just had to see what the buzz was about. I still get a spot of gastric distress once in awhile and I do believe it is related to this one burger.

Moe Norman once watched me hit balls on the range prior to a Christmas charity tournament in Toronto. I was busting it by him about 40yds into a head wind. He asked me to show him how to keep it low so it had plenty of run out on the frozen tundra. He was just snatching it a little too inside and coming over the top.

Age is just a number.

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1432857459' post='11646418']
I just turned 98. I do 1000 sit ups and 1000 push ups a day, plus run 8 miles after I walk the dog 23 blocks. I am 4 irons longer than when I was 22, even when adjusted for "loft inflation." I usually walk 36 a day and if I am in the mood and it is not free chips and salsa night at Chili's I will do 54 holes, often in 100+ degree weather.

I am still swinging x-stiff shafts and when I feel particularly frisky I bust out the persimmon on men's night.

I still swing in perfect balance so I don't require golf shoes. I use New Balance walking shoes with Velcro. I have played in the Florida monsoon's and during a 72 hole outing at Bandon in a soaker and did not slip once.

I don't smoke and don't drink, but I did have a McDonald's burger back in 55 when I was dating this little honey from California. Just had to see what the buzz was about. I still get a spot of gastric distress once in awhile and I do believe it is related to this one burger.

Moe Norman once watched me hit balls on the range prior to a Christmas charity tournament in Toronto. I was busting it by him about 40yds into a head wind. He asked me to show him how to keep it low so it had plenty of run out on the frozen tundra. He was just snatching it a little too inside and coming over the top.

Age is just a number.
[/quote]

OK....... go away and keep doing what you do.

I started late at 22 yrs old but became hooked for life. Played 150-175 rounds a year for years and years. Got down to scratch and have my name etched on a club champion trophy. Work, kids, growing older and slower has affected my game, periodic bouts with my hands shaking while putting doesn't help either.

Right now, as I turned 50, I still have scores showing on my SCGA handicap index from 2012 and have played only a handful of times the last 5 years. Last June I was in a serious car accident and am having a hard time rehabbing. I got my swing speed up to 61 mph w/ driver, up from 52 mph in January. It hurts to play golf now and I'll never be able to play like I did before. I don't even know if it's worth it to play golf if I can only swing my driver 60-61 mph, when I used to swing 98-104 mph. Golf's a lot harder when you lose 40 mph club head speed. I have gone out with my buddies for a couple of rounds but I play from way in front of the women's tees and don't really even consider it real golf. I just do it to be with my friends.

Be lucky you can play, to have it taken from you in the blink of an eye was/has been devastating to me. I'm trying to be positive, and think back to all the wonderful memories the game has given me. It's not always about the score, or distance, or the challenge. Sometimes, it's just about reflection, grace, humility and understanding the nuances of this great sport.

Hey Bro, I smiled reading your post!!

Like fine wine :)

You stay In shape and keep playing and practicing and if the Big Guy smiles on Ya and you came from a decent gene pool, you've got 15-16 years before you have to think about takin a different approach to the game(tees, clubs, etc).

Keep Swingin My Friend :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Age is just a number.
[/quote]Don't even think about usin Pearl's numbers as a barometer-

Two things to bear in mind....

1) He's an athletic & genetic freak

2) His lack of gastric distress has played a much larger role in his athletic prowess than his humility will allow him to discuss-

I've tried to tell him that it ain't braggin if ya do it, it's simply stating facts, and he sorta tilts his head, shakes it a bit and nicely though wth total conviction tells me that I'm from the Burgh, I'm a Putz, and I wouldn't know class if it jumped up and bit me in the a**

He's probably right, my Old Man settling in the Burgh doomed me ;)

Soooooo, while it's ok to admire The Pearster(I did this s*** long before Tiger was even a concept), my sincere advice is not attempt to emulate him.

Just enjoy the gifts that the Big Guy has bestowed upon you :)

Continued Success my Friend :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I'm nearly 65. My hands are destroyed by 40 years of goaltending. I've had major back surgery and had my right elbow completely rebuilt in 1980. The meniscus in my left knee is done. And just yesterday I shot 78 with stiff flex clubs at my local course in a 25 mph breeze. I hit a wind aided driver 9 iron into a 500 yard par five to boot. What I'm trying to say is that age is just a number to worry about. As long as you can do it, you're young.
I'm young........

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Age is just a number.
[/quote]
Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!

Age is just a number.
[/quote]How old were you when you first shot your age?

[quote name='AutomaticTwoDown' timestamp='1432859998' post='11646676']

Age is just a number.
[/quote]
Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!
[/quote]

Grab your sticks. It is go time.

[quote name='caniac6' timestamp='1432860011' post='11646680']

Age is just a number.
[/quote]How old were you when you first shot your age?
[/quote]

I had a 62 in 1979 at a little private event at Inverness just weeks prior to Hale Irwin winning the Open there.

With a penalty and a three putt.

I just turned 50. If I can keep from injuring myself I'm good to go. On average I'm as long as ever, but not sure I can still "nuke" it like I used to.

I'm in decent shape for my age, but there is still reasonable room for improvement, so I should be able to hang in there for the foreseeable future.

One can always turn to specific training and technique as well.

I admire my Uncle. He was scratch or better for over 30 years. Played golf at FSU on scholarship back in the 60s, won a bunch of club championships and amateur tournaments, etc.

Well, he's 75 now and plays to a 16 HC. He was never real long, or a great putter...more of a fairways & greens ball striker type. Lack of distance and poor putting make things really tough for him now.

I recently bought him some hybrids which he reluctantly put in play replacing his 3 and 4 irons. They've definitely helped him on the long approaches and par 3s, since he still plays 6500 yards...lol!

In spite of all his difficulties and inability to play even remotely close to the way he once could, he still loves every minute of it and can't wait to get out there for the next round. It's really pretty cool.

I'm 47, and just beginning to see and feel age impacting my physical abilities. I hope I continue to love and enjoy the game with a positive attitude like my uncle. He's certainly set a good example...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

My comeback suffered a slight derailment last week cuz Madison booted me from her yoga class ;)

I tweaked my hammy(I didn't even realize that I had hamstrings in college) and trying to stay involved in the class, I struck up a nice conversation with this 72yo Gent, who, not knowing me or of our relationship, said that he was just in it cuz a Buddy takes lessons from Madison and said she was "very cute, sweet and didn't talk down to you, no matter how bad you were(He was a 30 cap)."

I said yep, that sounded like her. Well, she noticed us talking and not participating and she sent her assistant back(I thought that was a tad arrogant, but I can be touchy sometimes ;) ), and the guy asked if everything was ok. Harold said yea, That we were just admiring the teacher, lol. The kicker is that Ben didn't know about us, so he says, "Well she is much more than a pretty blonde ," to which I replied(I thought innocently), "no s***."

So what's ole Benny do?

He goes up and whispers in Madison's ear, and she sorta slides over a bit to look down the isle of peeps to see Harold and I.

Well, I know that look ;)

So, I say my goodbye to Harold, wishing him well in his workout and his game and I head to the sauna to loosen the hammy.

So after class, I catch her before she headed to the practice tee for a group lesson.

I went to kiss her and she swiveled her face away from me and snapped, "so I'm just another nice lookin blonde?"

I was aghast. Seriously, I told ya what I said above so I asked her what little Benny had said.

She said that he said that "that old man in the back said that you were just another nice looking blonde."

She looked back. And thinking he was referring to Harold, Maddie said that Harold was a "sweetie" and meant no harm with his comment, and Bennie said "No, not Harold, that other old guy."

So she tells me that I'm out of the class.

It's not enough that Pete drop kicked me three times.

Now my frickin Girl Friend is bootin me ;)

And the kicker is that yea, I wanted to go over and formerly introduce myself to little Benny, but I don't know what I was more pisssd about, him lying about What I'd said about Madison or callin me an "ole man."

I really am trying to do this gracefully ;)

I keep repeating, "it's only a number, it's only a number, ............"

WTH, her BD is Tuesday, I got her a nice gift, and I'm hoping that, like Pete, she'll take me back.

And I really thought that I had grown up ;)

Stay Well Gals & Bros :)

All the Best,
Richard

Played with a guy last year that was 74 years old and still carried his bag and shot about 80. General all around decent game. Not one of those old farts that hits a driver 180yards and gets up and down from anywhere inside 100 yards. This guy played the same game as me. Decent distance, irons accurate enough to hit greens but not knock anything stiff. Decent putter but not deadly accurate.

On the other hand, you never know how many good years you have left so get out and play some golf and make love to a beautiful woman as much as possible.

Rather than worry, or stress, about what will be, live for what is.

The future will bring what it does and when it does. React then since your reaction will likely be from a different perspective.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

It all depends on one's health. I have lost about 20 lbs the last 6 months or so. Even though I drive a truck I do physical work cleaning out the trailer every day. When I get on the yard I sometimes become the yard driver and sometimes I do mechanic work on some of the trucks or machinery. Sometimes I assist customers unloading metal. When I get home I either hit balls or ride my adult tricycle around the trailer park. I have started eating more healthy and smart and have cut my daily calorie intake in half. I have made some equipment changes also went from real stiff shafts (see my profile just updated) to some high launch softer tipped shafts except in the metal woods. I have also switched to a softer ball (ie an old man's ball). Getting older has helped my course management skills SOME. On a scale of 1 to 10 they used to be maybe a weak 2 but they are about a 6 now not perfect but getting there. Even put a soft tipped high launch shaft in the old 1 iron. Can still hit it off the tee. Honestly took me a few years to deal with my inner self about getting older but I have learned to accept it with grace. One thing about it living in a retirement area I see various guys and gals playing every day golf is what keeps them going. My wife loves it when I play and practice because it keeps me going. I had a friend of mine that died a few years ago at age 61 too soon. He had inherited a lot of money and had gotten fat and lazy and he died from that. It aint gonna happen to me that way. I plan on going out WFO and I will play if I only hit the driver 100 yards with a 20 MPH swing. Golf is a game you can truly play in most circumstances for a lifetime

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I am 72 this year and play off 14. I am probably about 12 yards shorter with all my clubs than I was 15 years ago but a hell of a lot straighter.You have to set your woods up to the course you play most . My standard drive is around 200 flight 20-40 yards roll . I get the roll by keeping the ball to a mid flight by using a mid shaft and low spin head.
I love my mp60's particulary the 5 and 6 and keep my iron game on song by regulary training with an impact bag ( actually just a small canvas bag stuffed with old clothes which I anchor to the ground with a couple of screwdrivers out back.)concentrating on wrist release and body turn.
I find my backswing now limited so put time in to retain upper body strength and shoulder turn.
I play 18 three times per week.
Hey 70 is the new 50.