2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

Loved pretty much all of the bags i saw except Great Britain. Sweden's was sick!

What was sick with the Central Scandinavian outfit?

I bet you read it wrong way around.

I bet I did, so help a poor viking with no english, what does "sick" mean in this context?

Hank, "sick" in this context is slang for "cool," "awesome," "good looking", etc. Similar to the use of "bad" or "wicked" in a positive context ("LeBron James is one bad man on the court."). "Sick" is fairly common slang in the U.S. and Canada but I'm not sure that it extends to other English speaking countries. (Commonwealth GolfWRX'ers, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

It does extend beyond the boundaries of North America... as does the Commonwealth obviously, Canada being a member ;)

I remember an Aussie referring to a car modification as "radical to the power of sick" one time. Imagine how incredible that was!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does extend beyond the boundaries of North America... as does the Commonwealth obviously, Canada being a member ;)

I remember an Aussie referring to a car modification as "radical to the power of sick" one time. Imagine how incredible that was!

Never heard that one before. And yes, I'm aware of Canada's status as a Commonwealth country. I guess I could have said "English speaking GolfWRX'ers" but that would have been a broader request than I intended.

The Golf Channel commentators are going way (WAY) overboard in trying to convince their viewing audience how important Olympic golf is...and how great the men's competition was... They are trying WAY too hard to convince people of something that their [silent] coverage should do the convincing all by itself. Viewers don't need to be told how they should think about an event... It's getting beyond sickening.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

The Golf Channel commentators are going way (WAY) overboard in trying to convince their viewing audience how important Olympic golf is...and how great the men's competition was... They are trying WAY too hard to convince people of something that their [silent] coverage should do the convincing all by itself. Viewers don't need to be told how they should think about an event... It's getting beyond sickening.

I got through 30mins of Friday coverage before I couldn't watch it anymore, Faldo and company were emabarrasingly OTT, not even close.

They reminded me of the cliched jilted lover who is overly keen to prove to their former flame that have soooooo moved onto someone better - hey look how much happier I am now after you dumped me! It is sooooooo much better now with my new love, here in this dilapidated trailer park.

I did watch the 9-12 slot on tape delay Sunday and did a lot of muting whenever it felt to be going off the rails.

Surely the new catch phrase of Olympic golf is "Phones away please" - while dozens are clearly shown on the coverage videoing everything while the plaintiff plea is made.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Sergio was right. Anyone who thinks golf doesn't belong in the Olympics is on drugs.

That was amazing. Loved hearing Kucher talk about how proud he was to finish 3rd and win a medal for his country.

I guarantee every single top pro who refused to go is kicking themselves right now. Idiots missed out on the experience of a lifetime.

I can hear it now -

"Then, after I was robbed at gunpoint ..."

It happened to one American athlete, out late no security even with all the risk EVERYONE knows about. Do you not drive because there are car crashes?

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Well I still don't really think golf should be part of the Olympics, but after watching over the weekend I was caught up in the drama. Sure the format should be revised (maybe similar to gymnastics where they are competing for team and individual medals pretty much at the same time) but it was exciting having Rose and Stenson tied coming down the 18th knowing that Kuchar had already posted a great number. But it would have been much different if someone had run away with a lead. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and was taken by Kuchar's comments on national pride, etc. too. I think the women's event will be even more exciting as all the good players are there (as opposed to the men).

Sergio was right. Anyone who thinks golf doesn't belong in the Olympics is on drugs.

That was amazing. Loved hearing Kucher talk about how proud he was to finish 3rd and win a medal for his country.

I guarantee every single top pro who refused to go is kicking themselves right now. Idiots missed out on the experience of a lifetime.

I can hear it now -

It happened to one American athlete, out late no security even with all the risk EVERYONE knows about. Do you not drive because there are car crashes?

It happened to multiple athletes.

Fixed

I'm over 25.

Do people giggle when you refer to something as "sick" :taunt:

Okay maybe you can stretch it a little longer than 25, but you do sooner or later hit an age when you look silly using terms like that.

I was watching the kids when Maddie Played in a tourney in Ohio and Alayna, her 16yo, said that she needed a ride to this "absolutely dope party" that evening.

I was stunned and turned around and asked her if she'd lost her mind and I wanted the parents' tele number to inform them of the dope party their son was planning on having.

Well, Ava, the little 6yo started laughing and clapping her hands and said, "daddy, you're a dope, hahaha. She means it's a cool party," lmao

I looked it up as I'd never heard it used in that vernacular and sure enough, it was in the Urban Dictionary, who's app I promptly downloaded, lol

As I said, I'm not your garden variety idiot :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I can hear it now -

Coming home at who knows what hour, not surprising.

Happens in every big city, every night somewhere. Even some small towns in the USA. Just google "carjacking" and youll see there were quite a few her in the last few days,

Police: Gas thrown in woman's face in attempted carjacking

PENDLETON, S.C. (AP) - Police say a man tried to carjack a woman's vehicle in an upstate South Carolina community after throwing gasoline in her face.

Pendleton police Chief Doyle Burdette tells local media outlets it happened about 11 a.m. Saturday when a man approached the woman's vehicle, tossed a cup of gasoline in her face and grabbed the keys.

The woman's two daughters were in the car and one got out and started taking pictures of the man before he pushed her to the ground.

Police say the man got into the driver's seat but couldn't immediately find the ignition key and then ran off. The woman washed the gasoline off her face and was not injured.

Police have released the cellphone pictures and are looking for the assailant.

http://www.wbtv.com/...pted-carjacking

I can hear it now -

One incident involving more than one athlete who were out late in an area that wasn't safe.

Nice spin efffort though.

Finally finished watching the recording. What a great final round. I was pulling for Stenson but congrats to Rose.

I was nice to see a big crowd as well. I think the format should stay the same. Stroke play is the best way to find out who is the best over 4 days. If you start putting teams in it eliminates a lot of countries since they don't have 2 golfers high up in the rankings. And in match play there is a higher chance of a top seeded player getting eliminated early.

Totally agree with this. ^^^^^

The Olympics are about individuals, NOT Countries. Stroke play is where it's at.

Countries with their wretched ego's have led to medals tables.

Medals tables have led to doping....

If it's gonna be match play it might as well be stableford. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I can hear it now -

One incident involving more than one athlete who were out late in an area that wasn't safe.

Nice spin efffort though.

It happened to more than one athlete at different times.

Unless they start playing on 2 courses, I don't think there is enough time to have Men's and Ladies singles tournaments plus a Men's and Ladies 4-ball tournament.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a 4 ball tournament. if there are some countries that can't field a 2 person team, that's not the tournament director's problem, not to sound mean.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Unless they start playing on 2 courses, I don't think there is enough time to have Men's and Ladies singles tournaments plus a Men's and Ladies 4-ball tournament.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a 4 ball tournament. if there are some countries that can't field a 2 person team, that's not the tournament director's problem, not to sound mean.

If golf needs to be in the Olympics, I say dispense with the current format entirely and only have a 2-person team events. I'd be far more interested in watching Westwood/Poulter vs Bubba/Reed than yet another limited field stroke play event.

Agreed on the last point. I don't think there are many countries that can send one player, but don't have a second at all.

I can hear it now -

What I couldn't figure out is this: Ryan Lotche is the 2 swimmer on the squad. He could've easily afforded a private transportation service to take him around

I was against the format before the games, but after seeing it I think they should keep the format exactly the same. A team event would water down the medals. I think its great that there's ONE gold medal for golf and you can only get it once every 4 years.

It was good because it was close till the end...just like any tournament when it plays out till the end. Would have been a snooze fest if it wasn't close.

I still say teams maybe match play, alternate shot, maybe something crazy like best ball or scramble. Make it unique in competition that encourages exceptionally aggressive play.

Otherwise this is nothing more than a mid grade non major.

The tennis played this week was as intense as anything played in the grand slams. Don't really see how that's up for debate.

I wasn't debating the intensity of play, I was pointing out the obvious (at least to folks, unlike you, who actually know something about tennis), which is that the Olympics simply aren't viewed in the same light as the 4 Grand Slams.

“Nothing against the Olympics,” Isner told The Post in late February when he announced his commitment to the Citi Open. “I played in 2012 and it was an incredible experience. It’s different for tennis players than for swimmers and track and field athletes. That’s the pinnacle of their sport and not so much the pinnacle of tennis.

Our biggest events are the Grand Slams and are always going to be the Grand Slams.”

https://www.washingt...o-rio-olympics/

Ah so you want to appeal to authority do you?

Here's Rafa on missing the 2012 Olympics

“It was one of the toughest decisions I’ve taken in my career because

playing at the Olympics was a big goal for me.

“It only happens once every four years and is the most important event in the

world of sport.

https://www.thesun.c...was-raf-for-me/

Djokovic

“It’s definitely right up there at the top of the priorities of this season,”

"It would be probably right up there with all the Grand Slams that I won because I'm playing here for my country."

http://www.telegraph...6-priority.html

http://www.tenniscon...gold-medal.html

Murray

“Being a home Olympic Games it was such a special occasion and the atmosphere at Wimbledon was like nothing I have ever experienced,” Murray said in recalling his 2012 triumph. “Winning medals for your country is as good as it gets and I can’t wait to get to Rio to try and win more.”

http://www.independe...l-a7075416.html

Federer

“It’s big,” said Federer. “This is my first time to Rio so I’m really excited about that. Obviously the Olympic Games for me is massively important. I love playing in the Olympics, love representing Switzerland.”

http://www.rio.itfte...t,-says-federer

But words are just words and no doubt you will accuse them of just saying the right thing and wanting to keep sponsors happy. That is why I bought up the intensity of the tennis. It is obvious when top players are going through the motions, trying relatively hard or giving their absolute all. You can tell by their reactions after they win or lose an important point. And there is no doubt that winning this week meant everything to the elite players. Now I can see why that may not be the case for a relative journeyman like Isner, for whom ranking points and prize money are more of a factor, but for the elite players with multiple grand slam titles and millions and millions of dollars winning the Olympics is absolutely right up there with the 4 grand slams.

Eh, there's plenty of doubt about the bolded. If it meant so much to all the players, certain of them would have come into the week better prepared to compete at their top level (cough, Serena, cough...)...hell, or come to the tournament at all (look at all the withdrawals for "convenient" reasons like Zika or disputes with their national federation).

As for your quotes, nice words, but of course none of the players say it's as important as the Grand Slams. Rafa: It "is the most important event in sport"(he didn't say tennis, now did he?). Djoker: "It would be probably right up there with all the Grand Slams..." (good weasel words) Murray: Nice words about the home Olympic atmosphere and the honor of winning for your country but nothing about how it's more important than the Grand Slams. Federer: Important..love representing country, etc.

Look, I never said the players don't want to win an Olympic medal (as you noted, the competition, like most weeks on the tours, was intense), but none of the above say they'd rather win a medal than a Grand Slam or even that they hold them in equal regard. None of them would trade a medal for a Grand Slam. None of them are introduced as _time Olympic Medal winners. They're introduced as _time Grand Slam winners. My simple, obvious point is that they Olympic tournament is not on the same level as the 4 Grand Slams. It's simple and real tennis fans know that.

Edit to add article below with honest words about the place of the the Olympics in a Q&A with a well known tennis journalist (who's a big proponent of tennis in the Olympics).

Tennis is better for this showcase and opportunity. The Games are better for the inclusion of tennis, this relentlessly global, dual-gendered sport. Complications and all, most players still rank the Olympics beneath a Slam but above any other tournament.

http://www.si.com/te...nis-withdrawals

And I never said that Olympic gold is worth more than a grand slam so you can stop trying to misrepresent my argument. My argument is that it is up there which is what the quotes I provided suggest. Certainly for the top players the Olympics is beyond any non Grand Slam tournament which puts it on the same level as The Players Championship in golf terms. Pretty impressive since it has only been around since 1988.

Serena Williams under prepared? Are we talking about 4 time Olympic champion Serena Williams? Guess she won all those other golds without taking Olympics all that seriously.

And you seriously think Djokovic was being disingenuous when he put the Olympics alongside the Grand Slams? So riddle me this why did he break down in tears after losing to Del Potro last week? Why were these tears absent when he lost at Wimbledon last month? Do you think he would be crying if he got knocked out early in the World Tour Finals or a Masters series event?

And I never said that Olympic gold is worth more than a grand slam so you can stop trying to misrepresent my argument. My argument is that it is up there which is what the quotes I provided suggest. Certainly for the top players the Olympics is beyond any non Grand Slam tournament which puts it on the same level as The Players Championship in golf terms. Pretty impressive since it has only been around since 1988.

Changing your tune, I see. Your statement that originally started this diversion is below.

"The Olympic sport that bears closest comparison to golf is tennis. I'm just watching Murray and Del Potro sweat blood for a gold medal having watched Djokovic break down in tears when he was knocked out in early round (he certainly wasn't crying when he lost early at Wimbledon). At some point in the next 20 years an Olympic gold medal in golf will mean as much to the top players as a green jacket or a claret jug. Book it."

Now you're saying that in 20 years winning the Olympic gold would mean as much as winning the Players Championship (and in the tennis world, which is what you and I have been discussing in the past few posts you're now saying the Olympics is the biggest event outside the 4 Grand Slams). Not sure I buy that, but that opinion is reasonable and it's certainly not something worth arguing about.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Classic ( Credit: Secret Golf ) @SecretGolf

Cp1Y-qAW8AErTv0.jpg

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

I can hear it now -

Coming home at who knows what hour, not surprising.

Happens in every big city, every night somewhere. Even some small towns in the USA. Just google "carjacking" and youll see there were quite a few her in the last few days,

Police: Gas thrown in woman's face in attempted carjacking

PENDLETON, S.C. (AP) - Police say a man tried to carjack a woman's vehicle in an upstate South Carolina community after throwing gasoline in her face.

Pendleton police Chief Doyle Burdette tells local media outlets it happened about 11 a.m. Saturday when a man approached the woman's vehicle, tossed a cup of gasoline in her face and grabbed the keys.

The woman's two daughters were in the car and one got out and started taking pictures of the man before he pushed her to the ground.

Police say the man got into the driver's seat but couldn't immediately find the ignition key and then ran off. The woman washed the gasoline off her face and was not injured.

Police have released the cellphone pictures and are looking for the assailant.

http://www.wbtv.com/...pted-carjacking

Comparing a whole country of 330 million people vs 1 city, Rio, isn't valid. Lotke was mugged by thugs dressed like cops. Hardly normal anywhere in the USA. Amy Robach from NBC had the same thing happen in Rio a week ago and her cabbie didn't stop or she would have been another victim.

Most countries, Australia for one, have restricted their countries' Olympic athletes, coaches and their entourage from going to beach areas after 6 p.m., or leaving 'the village' or their safe house after dark. That's how bad it is in Rio!

Fixed

I'm over 25.

Do people giggle when you refer to something as "sick" :taunt:

Okay maybe you can stretch it a little longer than 25, but you do sooner or later hit an age when you look silly using terms like that.

I was watching the kids when Maddie Played in a tourney in Ohio and Alayna, her 16yo, said that she needed a ride to this "absolutely dope party" that evening.

I was stunned and turned around and asked her if she'd lost her mind and I wanted the parents' tele number to inform them of the dope party their son was planning on having.

Well, Ava, the little 6yo started laughing and clapping her hands and said, "daddy, you're a dope, hahaha. She means it's a cool party," lmao

I looked it up as I'd never heard it used in that vernacular and sure enough, it was in the Urban Dictionary, who's app I promptly downloaded, lol

As I said, I'm not your garden variety idiot :)

All the Best,

RP

Urban dictionary can be interesting.