2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1441765996' post='12285058']
[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1441765321' post='12284974']
OMG, how is this even a big deal??? It's like they crossed the R15 with a Fly Z+. I'm more enthralled with the press than the design. This is SO blah!
[/quote]

What would you like to have seen that would have gotten you excited?
[/quote]

I don't know. Something new I guess. It feels like everything has been done.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, how is this even a big deal??? It's like they crossed the R15 with a Fly Z+. I'm more enthralled with the press than the design. This is SO blah!
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the point he's making is that this is akin to all those Apple releases with huge release events/presentations like this one for TM but, when it comes down to it, the product isn't tremendously different than the last generation. Kinda like how my iPhone 5S does pretty much everything that everyone's 6 does, I just waited and paid a lot less. I'll give it to TM, this is one crazy big event for a not-so-groundbreaking driver.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

[quote name='rtraudt' timestamp='1441766210' post='12285088']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the point he's making is that this is akin to all those Apple releases with huge release events/presentations like this one for TM but, when it comes down to it, the product isn't tremendously different than the last generation. Kinda like how my iPhone 5S does pretty much everything that everyone's 6 does, I just waited and paid a lot less. I'll give it to TM, this is one crazy big event for a not-so-groundbreaking driver.
[/quote]

Yes! Thank you!! That's exactly what this feels like. And we get to experience the Apple event tomorrow too!

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1441766168' post='12285080']
[/quote]

See the conundrum that TM is in? When they come up with revolutionary features, people complain that it's gimmicky. When they come up with evolutionary features, people complain that it's been done. They can't win.

[/quote]

Unless the rules governing golf club design and specs are revised or changed drastically, you're not going to see any huge or groundbreaking new features. What do you consider "groundbreaking" in driver design in the last 10 years?

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

First TM driver I've seen in a while that I'd consider bagging.

Wont be buying it. I love my srixon. But it looks great and i bet it goes for days.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1441766436' post='12285110']
[/quote]

See the conundrum that TM is in? When they come up with revolutionary features, people complain that it's gimmicky. When they come up with evolutionary features, people complain that it's been done. They can't win.

[/quote]

Unless the rules governing golf club design and specs are revised or changed drastically, you're not going to see any huge or groundbreaking new features. What do you consider "groundbreaking" in driver design in the last 10 years?
[/quote]

In the last 10 years the "groundbreaking" diver designs have been:
Movable weights
Interchangeable shafts
The MyFly system with Smartpad
Compression channels/slots

I think that's about all.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1441767001' post='12285188']
Movable weights
Interchangeable shafts

[/quote]

Agreed.

People need to stop setting the bar so high. Are Titleist's or Ping's announcements of new products met with the same level of expectation and/or disappointment as TaylorMade?

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1441766970' post='12285182']
First TM driver I've seen in a while that I'd consider bagging.

Wont be buying it. I love my srixon. But it looks great and i bet it goes for days.
[/quote]

You mean, last for days.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Too easy.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1441767254' post='12285210']
[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1441767001' post='12285188']
Movable weights
Interchangeable shafts

[/quote]

Agreed.

People need to stop setting the bar so high. Are Titleist's or Ping's announcements of new products met with the same level of expectation and/or disappointment as TaylorMade?
[/quote]

By my count that's TM, Callaway, Cobra, Nike with the 4 groundbreaking things.

I guess you could credit Titleist for Surefit and the like, and Ping for aerodynamics. But they weren't huge ground breaking things.

I think the difference is we've come to expect the revolutionary from TM and evolutionary from Titleist and Ping.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1441768902' post='12285366']
By my count that's TM, Callaway, Cobra, Nike with the 4 groundbreaking things.

I guess you could credit Titleist for Surefit and the like, and Ping for aerodynamics. But they weren't huge ground breaking things.

I think the difference is we've come to expect the revolutionary from TM and evolutionary from Titleist and Ping.
[/quote]

For some reason people have a double standard when judging TM's new releases versus anyone else's. Revolutionary = "gimmicky". Evolutionary = "it's been done".

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

No matter how you look at it, TM has already accomplished their goal. All of this talk about their latest release. Positive or negative, there is a buzz around the release. There wouldn't be this much talk if Titleist was releasing its new driver.

Titleist 913 D3 Aldila Tour Green
TM RBZ 15 deg Matrix Black Tie
Titleist 712 AP2 Project X 6.0
Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
SC Studio Select Newport
Pro V1

[/quote]

What another 27 yards isn't enough to entice you?
Well, that's what it would take for me to invest in a $699 driver or maybe just $499 or $399. I don't think they're trying to get people to drop what they bought six months ago.... this is for the guy who's got a 6 to [size=4]8 year old driver in his bag and is finally, at last, looking for something new. Doesn't that make more sense? [/size]

[size=4]Everybody on Golfwrx always gripes about the short product release cycles from TaylorMade, Callaway and the others but they're not really expecting you to dump what you purchased only a few months before... they are introducing c[/size]lubs for the guys who after eight years of hitting something that's "only okay" to buy something brand new and keep it for years. Simple, huh?

[quote name='BenSeattle' timestamp='1441773091' post='12285662']
[/quote]

Well, that's what it would take for me to invest in a $699 driver or maybe just $499 or $399. I don't think they're trying to get people to drop what they bought six months ago.... this is for the guy who's got a 6 to 8 year old driver in his bag and is finally, at last, looking for something new. Doesn't that make more sense?

Everybody on Golfwrx always gripes about the short product release cycles from TaylorMade, Callaway and the others but they're not really expecting you to dump what you purchased only a few months before... they are introducing clubs for the guys who after eight years of hitting something that's "only okay" to buy something brand new and keep it for years. Simple, huh?
[/quote]

It's almost as if they, and a manufacturer, need to manufacture new products, to stay in business!

The horror!

:)

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1441773334' post='12285674']
I kinda like it. Hope it's forgiving.

Anyone want to photoshop the M1 with 2 more rows of horizontal sliding weights to make the bottom all sliding weights?
[/quote]

Put sliding weights EVERYWHERE. On the sole, the crown, the shaft, the grip...

I think I've come up with the next big thing - balls with sliding weights on them.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

IMO it looks great. Undoubtedly the M1 will be more forgiving, higher launching, lower spinning than the R15 which will be good for 1 more yard by Rich Shields. I picked up an R15 10.5 head for $150 shipped set it to all the way open on max fade. It's my latest and greatest and best driver of all time. :D Soon to be replaced by the M1 for another $150 eventually. I love TM.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[/quote]

Well, that's what it would take for me to invest in a $699 driver or maybe just $499 or $399. I don't think they're trying to get people to drop what they bought six months ago.... this is for the guy who's got a 6 to [size=4]8 year old driver in his bag and is finally, at last, looking for something new. Doesn't that make more sense? [/size]

[size=4]Everybody on Golfwrx always gripes about the short product release cycles from TaylorMade, Callaway and the others but they're not really expecting you to dump what you purchased only a few months before... they are introducing c[/size]lubs for the guys who after eight years of hitting something that's "only okay" to buy something brand new and keep it for years. Simple, huh?
[/quote]

I get what you're saying and I agree to a point. For me, though, I really don't need another 27 yards but, if it's good, I might buy it eventually. I'm not against TM in principle. I bag many of their clubs and have for as long as I can remember because they are good. My issue is their over-the-top marketing. It's become so that as soon as I see their commercial start, I groan. I don't know what the value proposition is for this club besides the typical "NOW WITH MOAR DISTANCE!!!!" but if I am in the target audience, I would like to see less wizardry and more behind the curtain.

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1441766436' post='12285110']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For all the hoopla of this event, I was hoping for more, I guess. The difference between an Apple event and this is the average joe will probably pay attention to the Apple event. This is obviously geared toward us or us-adjacent so a small population of the market. And the mass media probably won't pick up the story in the way they would an apple event. I'll hand it to TM, they aimed very high and far with this one. I hope it pays off.

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

IMO, one of the best features of the M1 is the white/carbon crown. It makes the club alignment about as easy as it gets.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1441791425' post='12286166']
[/quote]

Well, that's what it would take for me to invest in a $699 driver or maybe just $499 or $399. I don't think they're trying to get people to drop what they bought six months ago.... this is for the guy who's got a 6 to 8 year old driver in his bag and is finally, at last, looking for something new. Doesn't that make more sense?

Everybody on Golfwrx always gripes about the short product release cycles from TaylorMade, Callaway and the others but they're not really expecting you to dump what you purchased only a few months before... they are introducing clubs for the guys who after eight years of hitting something that's "only okay" to buy something brand new and keep it for years. Simple, huh?
[/quote]

I get what you're saying and I agree to a point. For me, though, I really don't need another 27 yards but, if it's good, I might buy it eventually. I'm not against TM in principle. I bag many of their clubs and have for as long as I can remember because they are good. My issue is their over-the-top marketing. It's become so that as soon as I see their commercial start, I groan. I don't know what the value proposition is for this club besides the typical "NOW WITH MOAR DISTANCE!!!!" but if I am in the target audience, I would like to see less wizardry and more behind the curtain.
[/quote]

Congrats on being the only guy in the world who doesn't want 27 more yards.

I'd pay $1,000 for 27 more yards and show up before the store opened to do it :)

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

[quote name='Anser' timestamp='1441799795' post='12286434'][quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1441791425' post='12286166']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Congrats on being the only guy in the world who doesn't want 27 more yards.[/quote]

I'm already far enough offline. Another 27 yards means losing more balls per round.

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

This might be Taylor Made best driver. You can change MOI and Fade/Draw bias in that head plus with carbon the can save and distribute weight the best way possible. I dont´t play Taylor Made equipment, Ping irons and Callaway drivers is my way to go, but they may have something on this, hope the release it in black.

Lest´s see how it goes.....JMHO

I could care less who makes it. If it works and it's better than what I have and beats all other new drivers - Im in.

Just so happens though that I'm not shopping for anything new �

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

It's a really nice looking remake of the R15. I was hoping for something to actually stand out and wow me. Doesn't mean I won't give it a whack or 2.

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1441769174' post='12285390']
For some reason people have a double standard when judging TM's new releases versus anyone else's. Revolutionary = "gimmicky". Evolutionary = "it's been done".
[/quote]

When you are good, you will tell everyone how good you are. When you are great, everyone will tell you how good you are.

This is how I see TM. They are good, but they spend all their time telling everyone else how good they are and how revolutionary they are. This rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I look at their over the top marketing and some of their claims and make my decision to not play their clubs, rather than giving them a fair shake. So yes, certainly a double standard for TM, but they own some of that double standard.

Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid [size=4]Diamana S+ 82[/size]
Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
[size=4]Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56[/size]
Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue