2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

I have the 460 9.5° head with the Rogue Silver 60 regular shaft and New Decade Platnium grip. I ordered the club directly from TM and had them reduce the length by 1/2 in to 45 in. My understanding is that the swing weight spec for a standard length club is D4. I had my set up checked today and it came in at D3. I expected it to be a bit lower than that given its 1/2 in shorter than standard. Not sure if my shaft/grip set up accounts for the difference or not. Does anyone know if TM adds weight to the head when a club is ordered shorter than standard to increase the swing weight?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1446771089' post='12558948']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1446770008' post='12558884']
[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1446769493' post='12558858']
OK....Here we go.....A lot of the M1 supporters... in this thread will not like this, but here goes.....I have been spending a lot of time comparing my beloved G30Ls, and the M1 430 and the M1 460......Ping has been more consistent, the m1's, a little longer on perfectly struck shots.....Today, i was hitting some balls at the range, and my buddy said, here, try this....He handed me a RBZ Stage two head, which i proceeded to hook up with my UST VTS SPX shaft which has been my shaft of choice in the M1's.........Well, as i'm sure you have guessed, the RBZ was head and shoulders better than the others for me......As straight and longer than the Ping.....Straighter and longer than the M1's......Easy to draw....Easy to fade....If this driver had just come out, I would be starting the official RBZ Stage two driver thread........Numbers? Who knows.....Results...No question.....Anyone have anything to add to this.....Any of you still using the stage two?
[/quote]

Older TM heads will fit some swings better as will the more present heads....it all depends on your swing style if one is better than the other for you. If you are not a high spin guy and the older heads produced great numbers once dialed in, chances are that the newer heads will be to low of spin and not enough forgiveness.

I remember all the comments about the TM SuperTri head...."spins like a top" , but for me it about perfect for my SS, AOA once it was dialed in. For high speed players with a negative AOA, it did spin like a top!

Certain CG locations just work better for certain types of swings.
[/quote]
Avg swing speed, 113 to 115..........Avg spin with the M1, 2400.....Not sure about spin with the ping.......I remember when the stage two came out, everyone was screaming about how low spin it was. By the way, i have a poss. AOA.
[/quote]

With all the carbon fiber M1 hype I pulled my 2005 Mizuno MX500 (last carbon fiber head they made) w/7.2TS. On the Sim, the Mizuno was just as long or longer than the M1 460 w/757TS and Mizuno had better sound and feel to me. Mizuno went back in the bag. Hit it on the course against my hotmelted XR and it was just as long, but still tweaking the XR. Distance is pretty much maxed out and has been for years. All they can change now is forgiveness and adjustability to optimise ballflight.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1446651085' post='12551586']
[quote name='ironmikes' timestamp='1446648639' post='12551402']
has anybody seen their M1 adapter without an upright setting labeled on it ? with all of the talk of the M1 being flat in the standard position I took a look and do not see it labeled , is that normal ? looking at the OEM adapters to buy one it appears that the upright marking is on the inside of the adapter if I see it correctly ?
[/quote]

You are correct....not sure why it's this way.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info .

finally got to hit the M1 side by side with my current set up and have to say it does go straight. only issue is I seem to not be able to draw it , just straight or the slighest fade . shaft is the Aldila rogue black. my other set up is a R11 tour head that is 2 degrees open in nuetral and I have it set to 1 click lower loft . have the Oban Kiyoski purple in the R11 head. can draw and fade it . set the M1 to upright , lowered loft one click , set to max draw with rear weight set to most foregiving. maybe the weight of the driver being lighter ?

[quote name='chapinc' timestamp='1446771406' post='12558972']I have the 460 9.5° head with the Rogue Silver 60 regular shaft and New Decade Platnium grip. I ordered the club directly from TM and had them reduce the length by 1/2 in to 45 in. My understanding is that the swing weight spec for a standard length club is D4. I had my set up checked today and it came in at D3. I expected it to be a bit lower than that given its 1/2 in shorter than standard. Not sure if my shaft/grip set up accounts for the difference or not. Does anyone know if TM adds weight to the head when a club is ordered shorter than standard to increase the swing weight?[/quote]

No they do not.

Just one man's opinion, but an [url="http://pluggedingolf.com/taylormade-m1-driver-review/"]interesting one nonetheless[/url];

[size=4][i][color=#444444]'While I’m sure it will sell reasonably well, I can find no reason to recommend spending $500 on the new [/color][b][url="http://taylormadegolf.com/home"]TaylorMade M1 driver[/url].[/b][color=#444444] Despite its composite construction, it doesn’t represent a substantial step forward in forgiveness or consistency, and most of the settings will yield little change in ball flight."[/color][/i][/size]

[quote name='WolfWRX' timestamp='1446777592' post='12559494']
Just one man's opinion, but an [url="http://pluggedingolf.com/taylormade-m1-driver-review/"]interesting one nonetheless[/url];

[size=4][i][color=#444444]'While I’m sure it will sell reasonably well, I can find no reason to recommend spending $500 on the new [/color][b][url="http://taylormadegolf.com/home"]TaylorMade M1 driver[/url].[/b][color=#444444] Despite its composite construction, it doesn’t represent a substantial step forward in forgiveness or consistency, and most of the settings will yield little change in ball flight."[/color][/i][/size]
[/quote]

Wassup with that adapter on the adapter - looks like Conex or something? have not seen that before and does that effect ball flight with the extra weight of the adapter.

As for me, I still have the R15 430 and the M1 430 totally creams all over the R15, it is longer and more forgiving.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[i][color=#444444]'While I’m sure it will sell reasonably well, I can find no reason to recommend spending $500 on the new [/color][b][url="http://taylormadegolf.com/home"]TaylorMade M1 driver[/url].[/b][color=#444444] Despite its composite construction, it doesn’t represent a substantial step forward in forgiveness or consistency, and most of the settings will yield little change in ball flight."[/color][/i]
[/quote]

Look at where the ball was struck in the pic. I'm not sure if it's the club or player

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

[quote name='ph00ny' timestamp='1446784288' post='12559956']

[i][color=#444444]'While I’m sure it will sell reasonably well, I can find no reason to recommend spending $500 on the new [/color][b][url="http://taylormadegolf.com/home"]TaylorMade M1 driver[/url].[/b][color=#444444] Despite its composite construction, it doesn’t represent a substantial step forward in forgiveness or consistency, and most of the settings will yield little change in ball flight."[/color][/i]
[/quote]

Look at where the ball was struck in the pic. I'm not sure if it's the club or player
[/quote]

As far as I have seen, high on the face produces dead shots with the SLDR and R15.... My guess the M1 is the same.

Yea, what's up with that adapter system that they used....crazy but I'm sure cost efficient.

OK....Here we go.....A lot of the M1 supporters... in this thread will not like this, but here goes.....I have been spending a lot of time comparing my beloved G30Ls, and the M1 430 and the M1 460......Ping has been more consistent, the m1's, a little longer on perfectly struck shots.....Today, i was hitting some balls at the range, and my buddy said, here, try this....He handed me a RBZ Stage two head, which i proceeded to hook up with my UST VTS SPX shaft which has been my shaft of choice in the M1's.........Well, as i'm sure you have guessed, the RBZ was head and shoulders better than the others for me......As straight and longer than the Ping.....Straighter and longer than the M1's......Easy to draw....Easy to fade....If this driver had just come out, I would be starting the official RBZ Stage two driver thread........Numbers? Who knows.....Results...No question.....Anyone have anything to add to this.....Any of you still using the stage two?
[/quote]

Older TM heads will fit some swings better as will the more present heads....it all depends on your swing style if one is better than the other for you. If you are not a high spin guy and the older heads produced great numbers once dialed in, chances are that the newer heads will be to low of spin and not enough forgiveness.

I remember all the comments about the TM SuperTri head...."spins like a top" , but for me it about perfect for my SS, AOA once it was dialed in. For high speed players with a negative AOA, it did spin like a top!

[/quote]
Avg swing speed, 113 to 115..........Avg spin with the M1, 2400.....Not sure about spin with the ping.......I remember when the stage two came out, everyone was screaming about how low spin it was. By the way, i have a poss. AOA.
[/quote]

By the way, that was my whole point (guessing that you had a + AOA) based in liking the Stage 2 better.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1446791360' post='12560198']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

By the way, that was my whole point (guessing that you had a + AOA) based in liking the Stage 2 better.
[/quote]
That makes sense. Hope you didn't think I said by the way as a wise crack. I said that because i forgot it earlier.

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1446776849' post='12559440']
[quote name='chapinc' timestamp='1446771406' post='12558972']I have the 460 9.5° head with the Rogue Silver 60 regular shaft and New Decade Platnium grip. I ordered the club directly from TM and had them reduce the length by 1/2 in to 45 in. My understanding is that the swing weight spec for a standard length club is D4. I had my set up checked today and it came in at D3. I expected it to be a bit lower than that given its 1/2 in shorter than standard. Not sure if my shaft/grip set up accounts for the difference or not. Does anyone know if TM adds weight to the head when a club is ordered shorter than standard to increase the swing weight?[/quote]

No they do not.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Not sure how the club ended up at D3 after cutting down by 1/2 in. Anyone else have their M1 shortened by TM and had their swing weight checked?

Here's a question for you guys.

So I've been working on getting the right fit m1 for weeks.

I've hit both these heads on the course and they are similar. Same shaft.

Would you think 460 8.5 weight all the way forward, or 430 9.5 weight all the way back: which would be more forgiving?

Larger cc or more rearweighting...

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

[/quote]

I have a R1 tour issued td5xxxx shallow that flies similar to my M1.....2 reasons it's not in the bag......#1 sound , M1 far more pleasing to my ear even though the R1 does have a metallic thwacky sound some like.

#2 the overall shape and look.

Sorry to hear M1 doesn't do it for you; strokes for folks! Me? I'll take the gains of carry yardage packaged nicely in this club......oh and the 3wd might be BETTER!

[quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1446813680' post='12560572']

Would you think 460 8.5 weight all the way forward, or 430 9.5 weight all the way back: which would be more forgiving?

[/quote]

Eddie here's the problem......you have been trying for "weeks" to dial the right fit and your asking us to answer your question when the majority of us would only be guessing since we do not own both heads let alone two different lofts in the same head.

My stab is based on the fact that you asked about forgiveness.....going with the larger head on this one, but you just might need it in a 9.5 loft to really find out as loft can effect forgiveness also.

All the people saying it goes shorter... did you try different clubhead lofts? In the example linked above, 1600rpm @ 97 mph is awfully low and doesn't seem to work for that person.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

[/quote]

If you look at the comments at the bottom, the reviewer notes he already has low spin. The M1 seems to be good for those of us that battle high backspin, a negative AOA at higher SS.

[quote name='blav28' timestamp='1446832815' post='12561910']
All the people saying it goes shorter... did you try different clubhead lofts? In the example linked above, 1600rpm @ 97 mph is awfully[b][/b] low and doesn't seem to work for that person.
[/quote]

Agreed, I have tried 10.5 in 460 and at my ballspeed (mid 130's) I cant get it to fly properly, or any shape to the shots, just not enough spin, under 1900 average,even with my preferred Fuji pro 63 tour spec shaft from my R15, tried 12° 460 head and the descent angle was too steep (according to trackman) so total distance is compromised without gaining any noteworthy carry,even though spin only went up a couple hundred , However the 430 10.5 is perfect, average 15.2 launch with 2390 spin,just unscrewed the r15 Fuji pro shaft and off we go, natural draw is back, I'm much more confident to swing 430 and the feel off the face is amazing, night and day compared to the 460, also seems no less forgiving, in fact I would say for me its more forgiving because if I don't middle it I still get a flight because the numbers are closer to what I need.

Still struggling to get my head around a 430 being a better fit than 460, but hey it works, but then again Golf clubs never seem to amaze me lately, who would have thought I could carry an iron with 3 degrees less loft and not a springy cup face in sight a whole club farther.

Titleist Tsr3 10.0° Ventus TR Velocore Red 6
TaylorMade Stealth+ 13.5° Mitsubishi Diamana ZF7
TaylorMade Stealth2 5/18° Ventus Velocore Red 7
Ping G430  22° Ventus Blue HB8
Mizuno Pro 243 5-PW Dynamic Gold Mid 115
Titleist Vokey SM8 48°/10F Dynamic Gold Mid 115  
Titleist Vokey SM9 54°/12D Dynamic Gold Mid 115
Titleist Vokey SM9 60°/04T Dynamic Gold Mid 115   
Scotty Cameron Phantom X #11
TaylorMade Tour Response 

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1446824450' post='12561256'][quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1446813680' post='12560572']

[/quote]

Eddie here's the problem......you have been trying for "weeks" to dial the right fit and your asking us to answer your question when the majority of us would only be guessing since we do not own both heads let alone two different lofts in the same head.

My stab is based on the fact that you asked about forgiveness.....going with the larger head on this one, but you just might need it in a 9.5 loft to really find out as loft can effect forgiveness also. [/quote]

Bob I hear what you are trying to say and thanks for the reply, but it was more of a theoretical question thrown out there for discussion. I've been tweaking for weeks because i have quality fitters at my disposal and we like debating things like this. My tournament setup is still my r15 for now, the m1 is moreso a fun toy to tinker and experiment with, hence why all the deliberation.

I was throwing that comment for the very reason that littleeasy posted above. In general, information has been put out there that the 430 is no different and far more punishing than the 460, and while 60 out of 100 times that may be true, it is not absolute (obviously I know).

And the answer performance wise for me has been 430 weight back hands down, but everyone is different.

[quote name='littleeasy' timestamp='1446842971' post='12562694'][quote name='blav28' timestamp='1446832815' post='12561910']
All the people saying it goes shorter... did you try different clubhead lofts? In the example linked above, 1600rpm @ 97 mph is awfully[b][/b] low and doesn't seem to work for that person.
[/quote]

Agreed, I have tried 10.5 in 460 and at my ballspeed (mid 130's) I cant get it to fly properly, or any shape to the shots, just not enough spin, under 1900 average,even with my preferred Fuji pro 63 tour spec shaft from my R15, tried 12° 460 head and the descent angle was too steep (according to trackman) so total distance is compromised without gaining any noteworthy carry,even though spin only went up a couple hundred , However the 430 10.5 is perfect, average 15.2 launch with 2390 spin,just unscrewed the r15 Fuji pro shaft and off we go, natural draw is back, I'm much more confident to swing 430 and the feel off the face is amazing, night and day compared to the 460, also seems no less forgiving, in fact I would say for me its more forgiving because if I don't middle it I still get a flight because the numbers are closer to what I need.

Still struggling to get my head around a 430 being a better fit than 460, but hey it works, but then again Golf clubs never seem to amaze me lately, who would have thought I could carry an iron with 3 degrees less loft and not a springy cup face in sight a whole club farther.[/quote]

Mentally I'm going through the same thing but my miss is slightly heel as I play a slight push off the tee, mishits with the 430 were flatter than with a lower lofted 460. After 3 rounds with the 430, I don't see a difference in dispersion in a 9.5 430 head weight back with a 460 8.5 head weight forward. I have hit some drives with the 430 that have left me scratching my head how good they are.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

[quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1446904747' post='12565420']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1446824450' post='12561256'][quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1446813680' post='12560572']

[/quote]

My stab is based on the fact that you asked about forgiveness.....going with the larger head on this one, but you just might need it in a 9.5 loft to really find out as loft can effect forgiveness also. [/quote]

Bob I hear what you are trying to say and thanks for the reply, but it was more of a theoretical question thrown out there for discussion. I've been tweaking for weeks because i have quality fitters at my disposal and we like debating things like this. My tournament setup is still my r15 for now, the m1 is moreso a fun toy to tinker and experiment with, hence why all the deliberation.

I was throwing that comment for the very reason that littleeasy posted above. In general, information has been put out there that the 430 is no different and far more punishing than the 460, and while 60 out of 100 times that may be true, it is not absolute (obviously I know).

And the answer performance wise for me has been 430 weight back hands down, but everyone is different.

[quote name='littleeasy' timestamp='1446842971' post='12562694'][quote name='blav28' timestamp='1446832815' post='12561910']
[/quote]

Still struggling to get my head around a 430 being a better fit than 460, but hey it works, but then again Golf clubs never seem to amaze me lately, who would have thought I could carry an iron with 3 degrees less loft and not a springy cup face in sight a whole club farther.[/quote]

Mentally I'm going through the same thing but my miss is slightly heel as I play a slight push off the tee, mishits with the 430 were flatter than with a lower lofted 460. After 3 rounds with the 430, I don't see a difference in dispersion in a 9.5 430 head weight back with a 460 8.5 head weight forward. I have hit some drives with the 430 that have left me scratching my head how good they are.
[/quote]

I would sooner take "the scratching head at how good they are" over that's just ok, especially with a "new Driver". i'v come to the conclusion that because the head is smaller any miss hit is naturally going to be closer to the sweetspot :taunt: , and at the end if the day I never recall a 3 wood being that hard to hit.
oh BTW, my two M1's are used with the weight back, and its a heavier weight also, had the fitter change it coz I use driver @44"

Titleist Tsr3 10.0° Ventus TR Velocore Red 6
TaylorMade Stealth+ 13.5° Mitsubishi Diamana ZF7
TaylorMade Stealth2 5/18° Ventus Velocore Red 7
Ping G430  22° Ventus Blue HB8
Mizuno Pro 243 5-PW Dynamic Gold Mid 115
Titleist Vokey SM8 48°/10F Dynamic Gold Mid 115  
Titleist Vokey SM9 54°/12D Dynamic Gold Mid 115
Titleist Vokey SM9 60°/04T Dynamic Gold Mid 115   
Scotty Cameron Phantom X #11
TaylorMade Tour Response 

I would sooner take "the scratching head at how good they are" over that's just ok, especially with a "new Driver". i'v come to the conclusion that because the head is smaller any miss hit is naturally going to be closer to the sweetspot :taunt: , and at the end if the day I never recall a 3 wood being that hard to hit.
oh BTW, my two M1's are used with the weight back, and its a heavier weight also, had the fitter change it coz I use driver @44"

Have seen the heavier and lighter weights mentioned in this thread. where can we get these ?

[quote name='chapinc' timestamp='1446813392' post='12560562']

No they do not.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Not sure how the club ended up at D3 after cutting down by 1/2 in. Anyone else have their M1 shortened by TM and had their swing weight checked?
[/quote]

I've checked the swing weight on two 430s that were ordered -0.75" through the custom department and both are exactly D2. The standard spec is D4 at 45.5", so I would have expected these to come in with a lighter SW.

My first thought was that perhaps they pick slightly heaver heads when doing custom orders with shorter lengths. These heads weighed 199.1g and 198.6g, but I've never weighed the heads of stock 45.5" orders, so I can't make any conclusions. It is also interesting that all four track weights on these two heads are exactly 1.0g light on a calibrated scale (accurate to 0.1g). Seems a bit odd.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention was that both drivers were ordered with GP New Decade grips, which are around 4-5g lighter than the stock Lamkin grip. This would add around a full SW point to the total. However, even that doesn't fully account for the clubs being D2 instead of closer to D0.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.75"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS RDX Blue 6.5, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (2024)

My WITB Post

Hit this bad boy today. 9.5 with X-Stiff Rogue 110.

~110 mph of clubhead speed. 2500 rpm of spin. 12 degree of launch. 270 carry. 300-305 total. Were about the average.

Great club. The feel is so much different than my X2 Hot and it is a good type of sound/feel. Also it was 45.5 length to the 44.5 that I normally use. Could easily shape it.

That being said. I hit a bunch of other drivers there and they pretty much performed just as well but were not the total package like the M1 was.

Color me impressed.

[quote name='scottc25' timestamp='1446945730' post='12567752']
Question: If you reduce the loft does that close the face or open it?
[/quote]

Do you have a TM Driver with FCT? Pretty simple test.....set the head on "Lower" and look down at the head at address, then set it at "Higher" and do the same. Should be very clear and answer your question.

If fact, if you have any type of adjustable driver the same test can be performed and get the same results.

[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1446937300' post='12567336']
[quote name='chapinc' timestamp='1446813392' post='12560562']

No they do not.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've checked the swing weight on two 430s that were ordered -0.75" through the custom department and both are exactly D2. The standard spec is D4 at 45.5", so I would have expected these to come in with a lighter SW.

My first thought was that perhaps they pick slightly heaver heads when doing custom orders with shorter lengths. These heads weighed 199.1g and 198.6g, but I've never weighed the heads of stock 45.5" orders, so I can't make any conclusions. It is also interesting that all four track weights on these two heads are exactly 1.0g light on a calibrated scale (accurate to 0.1g). Seems a bit odd.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention was that both drivers were ordered with GP New Decade grips, which are around 4-5g lighter than the stock Lamkin grip. This would add around a full SW point to the total. However, even that doesn't fully account for the clubs being D2 instead of closer to D0.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I asked TM customer service rep if they add weight to the head when they shorten the club. The rep indicated that they wouldn't need to add any weight when only cutting down by 1/2 in, but would add weight when cutting down 1 in. Didn't ask how they added the weight.