IN HAND: TaylorMade M1 Driver 460cc and 430cc

[quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1442353918' post='12318594']
I can't wait to see how many used TM M1 drivers there will be on Ebay or used rack at any of the golf stores about 2 months after this is released. I'm not saying it won't be a good driver and work for some people, but you know many will buy thinking this is "revolutionary" and then be disappointed.
[/quote]

This happens with every driver, every year. :yawn:

Most people work hard, no time to work hard at their golf game and live a balanced life. Easier to buy new technology and hope for better results. Sometimes there's magic in a bottle. Many times not without a swing change and practice. C'est la vie!

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tried it out yesterday ... ordered it right away
great good shots but extremely impressive with the bad shots
I'm yet to see another low spinning driver that is this forgiving
in the weight forward setting it feels similar in forgiveness as my R15 in the max moi setting ... in the weight back position it feels like sbdy turned forgiveness to 11 and it still does not spin more than my R15
ballspeed was more consistent across the face

Stealth2+ 8° HZRDUS Blue RDX Smoke 60 S
Stealth2+ 14.25° Tensei blue 65 S
Stealth2+ 17.5° Tensei blue 65 S
Stealth+ Rescue 21.25° Tensei blue 75 S
P790 5 - 7, NS Pro Modus 3 105 S

P770 8 - P, NS Pro Modus 3 105 S
MG4 50° 54°HB 58° HiToe, NS Pro Modus 3 115 Wedge

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1442413528' post='12321674']
[quote name='Ed Settle' timestamp='1441989467' post='12299672']
Still a great list of shafts to choose from.
[/quote]

Best out there at the moment.
[/quote]

I would agree based on what I've seen. At this point, it seems like the M1 and King LTD will be the two frontrunners and the stock shaft options make the M1 a more viable option.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Out of the shaft offerings which shafts are better for higher flight? I have a swing speed of 105 with a medium flight and would like some more height.

M1 10.5 Deg. Fujikura Pro 60
R9 FCT 3 & 5 metal Fujikura Motore
Ping I-20 3-PW KBS Tour S
Ping Glide 52SS & 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Craz-E too putter Ultra Slim
Super Stroke 1.0

[quote name='sea-golfer' timestamp='1442417693' post='12321998']
Out of the shaft offerings which shafts are better for higher flight? I have a swing speed of 105 with a medium flight and would like some more height.
[/quote]

Loft is your friend......key is to match it up with proper spin. It's very hard to suggest any of the 28 no charge offerings with out supplying us with some Trackman numbers and your current set up.

I would suggest a fitting at a local Dealer to dial in your weight settings, proper loft, FCT, and then the shaft to refine it. A few suggestions to look at would be the White Tie, and Aldila Blue.

Your probably like many of us that would like to preorder one, but unsure of what to buy. I am just unsure of the loft since there really has not been any info and how true the lofts play. I have played 8.5 in the past lower CG heads, and 10.5 in the SLDR....my guess is that the 8.5 will be to low so 9.5 with the hope that that loft does not create too much spin.

[quote name='sea-golfer' timestamp='1442417693' post='12321998']
[/quote]
It was weird I started off with the Kurokage(s) and had an incredibly high ball flight with the 9.5 and somehow got switched to the Fujikura pro 60 and had a lower one. Both time settings were at neutral and low spin. I have the same SS at 105. Thing felt amazing and ball flight and dispersing were my better than what I'm playing with at the moment. Wish I tried the low trajectory shaft with rhe high spin setting to see those results. Main reason I ordered mine was because of the sweet spot shots I was able to make instantly. Dead nuts straight and that never happens to me

Neat, another money spinning regurgitation with overbearing hype. How many times do we have to see a video of DJ or Justin Rose "sheesh wow.... THAT is ....long, I've never hit a drive like that in my life". It's the same script for every driver. The SLDR came out as the holy grail of drivers and you can get them for pennies now.

At the end of the day though Taylormade's mission is to make money and I would do the very same thing if I was them. If you build it, they will spend.

Thanks TMBob and Golfy for your insight. My local pro shop and PGA superstore said they have no idea when they might be getting there demos in. Hopefully soon.

M1 10.5 Deg. Fujikura Pro 60
R9 FCT 3 & 5 metal Fujikura Motore
Ping I-20 3-PW KBS Tour S
Ping Glide 52SS & 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Craz-E too putter Ultra Slim
Super Stroke 1.0

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUEnoghfnjk[/media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqX3cphwZEM

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

So has the question been asked?

How does one remove the front to back sliding weight? If unscrewed does it just slide into the Heel Toe area and then removed near the Heel?

After watching MC video, I was wondering what the effect would be if you switched the weights since there only 5 grams difference? Another option to fine tune? I don't see why not.....simple test would tell you if so or not.

I need one in my hands to try all these options

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1442426190' post='12322744']
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUEnoghfnjk[/media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqX3cphwZEM
[/quote]

One of the better reviews I've seen - crossfields

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='Johnny' timestamp='1442410594' post='12321484']
The 430 looks really good
[/quote]

I presume you have seen it up close? Does it look pear shaped like the website pics or more like the SLDR 430?

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1442428794' post='12322972']

How does one remove the front to back sliding weight? If unscrewed does it just slide into the Heel Toe area and then removed near the Heel?

After watching MC video, I was wondering what the effect would be if you switched the weights since there only 5 grams difference? Another option to fine tune? I don't see why not.....simple test would tell you if so or not.

[/quote]

I can't help you about removing weights, but I can't help feeling that these grooves will get stuffed with far more weight in dirt and mud than you could ever attach mechanically!
Why are they so open when they should be covered?

[quote name='Peter Kelly' timestamp='1442491261' post='12325728']

[/quote]

I can't help you about removing weights, but I can't help feeling that these grooves will get stuffed with far more weight in dirt and mud than you could ever attach mechanically!
Why are they so open when they should be covered?
[/quote]

Driver is no issue. Played SLDR and R15 and it never was a problem. Fairway could be and would be like the original RBZ. Need to clean it out.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Lemonde' timestamp='1442435546' post='12323584']
[quote name='Johnny' timestamp='1442410594' post='12321484']
The 430 looks really good
[/quote]

I presume you have seen it up close? Does it look pear shaped like the website pics or more like the SLDR 430?
[/quote]
I put 430 pics in the "official" thread

Don't know if it was mentioned, but is it just me or does toe to top line look deeper than heel to topline? Just curious if I was seeing things, if I wasn't, what purpose does this serve? Just wondered if anyone had any kind of engineering reasoning behind what appears a certain way. But I may just be seeing things.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

If you're packing the slots on the bottom of a driver with mud and grass you have a lot more to worry about with your golf game than which new $400+ driver is for you.

That aside, local shop received their demos today and I hit both. Have played the 430 version of the SLDR and R15, but feel like there is a bigger dropoff in forgiveness between the 460 and 430 than in previous models. I saw no spin reduction with the 430 vs the 460 but a lot of difference in overall distance dispersion.

I think a fair amount of that was shaft. Th Fuji Pro 60S just seemed to fit me better than the KK in the 430. Had a MUCH easier time hitting center and feel was better as well. They let me take it out for my Thursday league round and 2 of my drives were the longest of the year for me on those given holes. My miss was a long block, but part of that was my reluctance with a new driver to miss left on those holes where OOB is a factor. You can miss right all day and scramble, but left is dead.

It sounds and feels TM...crunchy soft. But a bit more muted in feel than R15 or SLDR. Centered shots feel like flushing a blade 3 iron. Sound is definitely more muted but also has a bit of attitude to it. Hard to describe. I had the 9.5 460 at standard loft and front weight in center with back weight in N. Just seemed right at that setting.

I liked a lower tee height with it. Flight was mid and flat and the wind didn't bother it all. Good strikes on monitor were 14-15* with ~2000 spin and my shots on the course bore that out. Messing with the weights didn't seem to do much for launch specs but did change the way I wanted to swing the club. The stock setup just seemed to work for me.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

[quote name='MBBG' timestamp='1442549467' post='12329648']
If you're packing the slots on the bottom of a driver with mud and grass you have a lot more to worry about with your golf game than which new $400+ driver is for you.

That aside, local shop received their demos today and I hit both. Have played the 430 version of the SLDR and R15, but feel like there is a bigger dropoff in forgiveness between the 460 and 430 than in previous models. I saw no spin reduction with the 430 vs the 460 but a lot of difference in overall distance dispersion.

I think a fair amount of that was shaft. Th Fuji Pro 60S just seemed to fit me better than the KK in the 430. Had a MUCH easier time hitting center and feel was better as well. They let me take it out for my Thursday league round and 2 of my drives were the longest of the year for me on those given holes. My miss was a long block, but part of that was my reluctance with a new driver to miss left on those holes where OOB is a factor. You can miss right all day and scramble, but left is dead.

It sounds and feels TM...crunchy soft. But a bit more muted in feel than R15 or SLDR. Centered shots feel like flushing a blade 3 iron. Sound is definitely more muted but also has a bit of attitude to it. Hard to describe. I had the 9.5 460 at standard loft and front weight in center with back weight in N. Just seemed right at that setting.

I liked a lower tee height with it. Flight was mid and flat and the wind didn't bother it all. Good strikes on monitor were 14-15* with ~2000 spin and my shots on the course bore that out. Messing with the weights didn't seem to do much for launch specs but did change the way I wanted to swing the club. The stock setup just seemed to work for me.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments!

Interesting, I have the KK Silver Tini in my R15 430 and I totally love it. Much longer than a Fuji SIX x-flex eventhough the SIX is a much lighter shaft.

Now, was your impression the M1 is a "Loft Up" driver? I use to hit a 9.5 R15 430 but much prefer a 10.5 R15 430 set a click to Lower from Std to square up the face. Any notes if the face was open or close bias?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1442551757' post='12329740']
[quote name='MBBG' timestamp='1442549467' post='12329648']

[/quote]

Thanks for the comments!

Interesting, I have the KK Silver Tini in my R15 430 and I totally love it. Much longer than a Fuji SIX x-flex eventhough the SIX is a much lighter shaft.

Now, was your impression the M1 is a "Loft Up" driver? I use to hit a 9.5 R15 430 but much prefer a 10.5 R15 430 set a click to Lower from Std to square up the face. Any notes if the face was open or close bias?
[/quote]

I felt it played like a 9.5* driver should. Just with low spin. Very flat flight. Launched similarly to my 10* SLDR 430 Japan version.

It looks much squarer to me than the R15 460. When cranked down to lowest loft it sits VERY open.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1442375757' post='12320456']
[quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1442353918' post='12318594']
I can't wait to see how many used TM M1 drivers there will be on Ebay or used rack at any of the golf stores about 2 months after this is released. I'm not saying it won't be a good driver and work for some people, but you know many will buy thinking this is "revolutionary" and then be disappointed.
[/quote]

This happens with every driver, every year. :yawn:

Most people work hard, no time to work hard at their golf game and live a balanced life. Easier to buy new technology and hope for better results. Sometimes there's magic in a bottle. Many times not without a swing change and practice. C'est la vie!
[/quote]

Like 90% of the time.

I find it funny that the only four the Pro's are using the 430, but that there are so many here infatuated by it.
There will be entire barrel full of used ones at my favorite golf shop in few months.

I also fine it amusing that Jason Day has the center weight in the middle, while I think a lot of amateurs will push it all the way forward and again blame the driver instead of themselves.
It is still ugly, but the 460 (At least 250+ CT TP's) looks be one the of better performing heads this year.

[quote name='BUZZMAN' timestamp='1442624706' post='12333404']
[quote name='b3b3' timestamp='1441811274' post='12287484']
Has the Shaft Adapter sleeve changed?? Hopefully not.
[/quote]......BIG CHANGE.......4* ADJUST NOW
[/quote]

R15 brought in +/-2 M1 is using the same +/-2 unless someone here has more info...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[/quote]

Posted some specs on the M1 thread.

Weights come out no problem from each slide rail. I did not switch the weights in my testing today though.

Had a chance to hit this driver yesterday and it is really impressive. I hit the 9.5 460 head with the Kuro Kage TiNi and it gave me really nice results. I started with the weights at standard to start just to get a feel for the driver. I'm not a high ball hitter by any means so I had a little trouble getting the ball airborne at first but I actually really liked it, nice low controllable bullets. After I did a little tweaking I ended up with the first sliding weight one notch towards draw and the other weight all the way back this is where it really got good. Ball flight was very nice and it flew very straight, like others have said it is very forgiving for such a low spinning driver. Unfortunately I wasn't on a trackman or simulator so I don't have any numbers for you guys but the driver was flying about 5-10 yards farther that my 913 D2 (my 913 has been the best set up I've ever used). The sound and was really nice too, not too loud and gave really good feedback when struck. All in all a very good driver but I don't know if it's enough for me to make the switch.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60TX

Fairway: PING G425 SFT | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX6 | Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB