IN HAND: TaylorMade M1 Driver 460cc and 430cc

I actually bought the aftermarket TM15 headcover for this reason, especially with alignment rods and an extra shaft in the bag.

[quote name='ProStryker' timestamp='1443588794' post='12388578']
I hate to see the same type headcover go forward from the R15 to the M1. What bugs me to all end about these headcovers is that with the wide open bottoms, when you slide the driver back down into your golf bag, the huge opening at the bottom of the head over slides right over an iron or two, and if you don't notice it, your irons could be beating your driver shaft all to hell while riding around on a bumpy course in a cart..... I actually put my R1 headcover on my R15 to protect the shaft better.....
[/quote]

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tourseeking' timestamp='1444053859' post='12412144']
Has anyone heard if they will release a black version of the M1 like they did the R15?
[/quote]

I would say no, no, and no.

The past (AB) in Black did nothing but bombed big time vs White.

The R1 and R15 which offered both did not do well either!

My guess is no, based on just how bad Black sold the past three times it was offered.

My guess is that the White SLDR bombed too against the original release color.

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1443325780' post='12372680']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1443292124' post='12371062']
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEcxUPJ67zc[/media]
[/quote]

I agree that the M1 looks a little more forgiving with its shape and coloring.
He only briefly mentioned that he was using a 10.5˚ R15 and a 9.5˚ M1.
I have to hit them side by side, but from hitting both at different times, the M1 does elevate quite easily.
[/quote]

Ok,so Crossfield only choose M1 on looks and feel,NOT distance. I find it very interesting how he and others have gained little to no distance testing the M1 vs their current gamer. Yet, others are claiming 20 yard increases over their drivers. Something is fishy here.

Aesthetically, I agree the M1 looks miles better. I haven't hit it myself yet so I have no clue on feel or sound of it either.

So, is this distance increase players on this forum are claiming REAL, or is this exaggeration and/or juiced monitors?

I'm sorry, but a 20 yard increase is a HUGE distance gain.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1444093245' post='12415358']
[quote name='tourseeking' timestamp='1444053859' post='12412144']
Has anyone heard if they will release a black version of the M1 like they did the R15?
[/quote]

I would say no, no, and no.

The past (AB) in Black did nothing but bombed big time vs White.

The R1 and R15 which offered both did not do well either!

My guess is no, based on just how bad Black sold the past three times it was offered.

My guess is that the White SLDR bombed too against the original release color.
[/quote]

I think it also would muddy the marketing message. The M1 has a very distinct look and will be easy to spot, both on Tour and at your local muni. Compare that to the black R15 which is nondescript and looks similar to other black headed drivers. I played with a guy hitting a black R15 this past weekend and it took me a couple of holes before I realized what he was playing.

I realize there are a lot of players on this site who would prefer a black head, but I don't think it's in TaylorMade's best interests to do one at this point. Likely in a future model though, say gen 2 or 3?

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

[quote name='JCM96' timestamp='1443817966' post='12402106']
I actually bought the aftermarket TM15 headcover for this reason, especially with alignment rods and an extra shaft in the bag.

[quote name='ProStryker' timestamp='1443588794' post='12388578']
I hate to see the same type headcover go forward from the R15 to the M1. What bugs me to all end about these headcovers is that with the wide open bottoms, when you slide the driver back down into your golf bag, the huge opening at the bottom of the head over slides right over an iron or two, and if you don't notice it, your irons could be beating your driver shaft all to hell while riding around on a bumpy course in a cart..... I actually put my R1 headcover on my R15 to protect the shaft better.....
[/quote]
[/quote]

I got a call that my M1 arrived today, I headed over to my local retailer to pick it up. The rep opened up packaging and pulled out the head cover, he attempted to put it on the club but was struggling. I took it off and tried to put it on, It took some effort. Definitely not as smooth as the R15 cover. I walked over to their other selections but nothing stood out. I think I am going to order a black TM15, looks a lot more sleek

I chimed in a few weeks ago about the lack of distance compared to my R15 during an on course test.

The M1 looks a lot better at address but the main reason I chose to purchase the M1 was because I was more accurate with it compared to the R15.

I did place my order with a different shaft then the one I had during my on course test so maybe my distance returns but like you, I am really interested to see if the incredible gains made were on course or on the monitor. 10 yards... I can believe that but 20+ ??? Also, are these gains from 220 to 240 or 290 to 310? I know that's a weird question but I'm curious if the increase is being made by an average golfer who's swing has improved since getting fit for their current driver or if it's by low handicappers with a developed swing and whom are already long off the tee.

i hit this the other day at golf galaxy...needless to say it gave me some seriously good numbers. i will be picking one up to do a side/side with my XR/HZRDUS combo. here's what i hit:

M1 430, 8.5*, Kuro Kage TiNi 60x, stock weight setup

Averages:
SS: 111 mph
Ball Speed: 162.1 mph
LA: 13.3*
Total Spin: 2284
Carry: 290.27 yards
Total: 319.63 yards
Distance offline: 19y right of center (hit fades)

longest drive:
SS: 116 mph
Ball Speed: 169.0 mph
LA: 10.9*
Total Spin: 1900
Carry: 313.88 yards
Total: 347.55 yards
Distance offline: 25.15y left of center

shortest drive (first swing):
SS: 108 mph
Ball Speed: 1157.8 mph
LA: 15.6*
Total Spin: 2650
Carry: 275.41 yards
Total: 298.81 yards
Distance offline: 46.62y left of center

** will most likely get the 70x to bring in dispersion **

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

[quote name='awr_84' timestamp='1444104277' post='12416306']
I chimed in a few weeks ago about the lack of distance compared to my R15 during an on course test.

The M1 looks a lot better at address but the main reason I chose to purchase the M1 was because I was more accurate with it compared to the R15.

I did place my order with a different shaft then the one I had during my on course test so maybe my distance returns but like you, I am really interested to see if the incredible gains made were on course or on the monitor. 10 yards... I can believe that but 20+ ??? Also, are these gains from 220 to 240 or 290 to 310? I know that's a weird question but I'm curious if the increase is being made by an average golfer who's swing has improved since getting fit for their current driver or if it's by low handicappers with a developed swing and whom are already long off the tee.
[/quote]

I'm one of those slower speed old guys who can still play well from the appropriate tees.....I went from the 220's to 235+ easily mostly in the air.....just a wonderful flight compared to R15....same shaft and tip combo....

Was only able to hit a quick few balls inside at Golf Galaxy with the 430 last weekend, thought that the "feel" at impact was horrible. Most drivers, I can immediately feel the point of impact on the face, thin or high face, heel or toe, and the occasional in the screws...lol. Every ball with this felt like a harsh thud with no clue where it was on face. Has anyone experienced this or was it just me quick swinging and hitting some non-premium "rock" ball in the simulator, never even looked at the brand of ball, as the "Boss" had me on a 60sec time limit to get out the door for us to get to the shoe store for the 600th time this year. Thanks

Lol! As long as she has more shoes than your club collection, your 60 seconds will remain safe.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

[quote name='SCYB' timestamp='1444339726' post='12429606']
I hit the Mi 460 in an indoor launch. To me he shaft selection was the biggest question. One needs to test all the shafts available. I was told there are different levels of stiff in the same shaft manufacturer. Some of the stiff may be too stiff.

SCYB
[/quote]

A good fitter will not have you test all the shafts available to find the correct shaft. There should be a small grouping of shafts that makes the most sense based on your style of swing, your swing speed, your transition and what shafts have worked well for you in the past to learn your profile. He will also know the different levels of stiffness that each OEM shafts offer.

Love the look of this thing.

Was in Golf Galaxy to get my putter grip replaced, and while i waited got to hit this. Didn't mess with the settings, didn't compare to my old driver - i just know that there was a different feel to me than the R1 i'm currently gaming and it sounded completely different.

If i had more time i would have been more in depth, but based on my 5-10 minutes - its not replacing the gamer. At address it also setup a little weird to me, Can't identify exactly what it was, but it felt weird.

I want to like this, but just am not there at the moment.

I hit this 460 last week in a shop with monitor. Don't know what shaft was in it.
It was first thing in the morning and I wasn't warmed up or loose.
I also did not care for the white/black fusion look so I gave 3 half-hearted swings and parked it.

I would give it a test outside with a 430 and chosen shaft however the colour scheme is undesirable for me.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

I have hit both on the course. Easy to hit. Launches fine. However, they both felt "dead" to me. It felt like I was hitting it thin. However, I could see the ball marks on the face, and they were hit in the center of the face.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I recently swapped out my previous gamer (Bridgestone J715 9.5*) with the M1 460cc 9.5*. I demo'd the 430cc in 9.5* with the KK shaft at my club and saw some pretty significant gains in distance off the tee. So much so that I went out and ordered a new M1 with the Aldila Rogue Silver 60g shaft.

While I don't have launch monitor numbers yet, the on-course performance I've seen from this driver is amazing. In my last couple of rounds at my home course I've had eagle putts on a couple of Par 5's. That's never happened before with any previous drivers I've had in the bag.

Admittedly, sound isn't quite as "crisp" as I'd like it to be, especially coming from the J715, which has a great sound. But it's not unpleasant to the ear so I'll deal with it given the performance I've seen.

Looks wise...this thing is bad a**!! So far, I'm super happy with the purchase and am glad to see TM bring something solid to market.

[quote name='Orange Hog' timestamp='1444917284' post='12459532']
I recently swapped out my previous gamer (Bridgestone J715 9.5*) with the M1 460cc 9.5*. I demo'd the 430cc in 9.5* with the KK shaft at my club and saw some pretty significant gains in distance off the tee. So much so that I went out and ordered a new M1 with the Aldila Rogue Silver 60g shaft.

While I don't have launch monitor numbers yet, the on-course performance I've seen from this driver is amazing. In my last couple of rounds at my home course I've had eagle putts on a couple of Par 5's. That's never happened before with any previous drivers I've had in the bag.

Admittedly, sound isn't quite as "crisp" as I'd like it to be, especially coming from the J715, which has a great sound. But it's not unpleasant to the ear so I'll deal with it given the performance I've seen.

Looks wise...this thing is bad a**!! So far, I'm super happy with the purchase and am glad to see TM bring something solid to market.
[/quote]

So you demo'ed the 430 head and bought the 460 head.....did I read that correctly?

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1444920933' post='12459852']

[/quote]

So you demo'ed the 430 head and bought the 460 head.....did I read that correctly?
[/quote]

Yep. The club only had the 430cc head to demo so I didn't have much choice there. The 460 head lines up with what I'm used to and after playing with both I'd say the it was the right choice for me.

[/quote]
I have the same BS 715 9.5 in stiff and ordered a m1 with the gd wt 6 stiff- to arrive tomorrow.What is your ss and how did you set up the the m1. WHAT DIFFERENCE DID YOU NOTICE BETWEEN THE 2 DRIVERS. I love the roll of the 715. Thanks !
[/quote]

[quote name='pricenicky' timestamp='1444946825' post='12461918']

[/quote]
I have the same BS 715 9.5 in stiff and ordered a m1 with the gd wt 6 stiff- to arrive tomorrow.What is your ss and how did you set up the the m1. WHAT DIFFERENCE DID YOU NOTICE BETWEEN THE 2 DRIVERS. I love the roll of the 715. Thanks !
[/quote]
[/quote]

My SS is around 105-106 mph. I'm still tinkering with the M1 set up but right now I've got the hosel set in upright, front weight to Draw, and back weight set at High. One of these days I'll get on a LM and check numbers but for now this set up is working well for me.

The shaft on my J715 is a little shorter than the M1. Right now the biggest downside to the M1 compared to the J715 is accuracy. With the J715 I hit straight or a baby draw very consistently and now I'm seeing a slight fade with the M1. Positive side, though, is the M1 is considerably longer. Again, I haven't compared the two head-to-head on a LM but I suspect spin is likely lower and ball speed higher with the M1. Also, the sound and feel between the J715 and M1 is a little different. Not a bad thing...just different.

On Saturday I had a chance to get fitted for an M1 by TaylorMade reps during a demo day at a neighboring Club two miles down the road from my Club. It was a great experience -- I hit drivers for about 55 minutes after a warmup, with all shots tracked on a Flight Scope, and with the full attention of the two TM guys (one monitoring the Flight Scope, and the other swapping out head and shaft combos -- on a windy, 50 degree day, they booked individual sessions for an hour). I took three 2-minute breaks during the session, and fortunately my swing held up for the entire hour -- I hit the ball very consistently throughout the session.

I'm in my 50s, and while fit, I've lost a bit of clubhead speed (now in the 93-97 mph range with a driver, down about 3-5 mph from my mid-30s). I current play a 5 year old white Burner TP at 9.5 degrees with a Matrix HD-6 stiff shaft. Handicap is upper single digits. Impressions of the M1 vs. current driver are as follows:

1) The head weight of the M1 feels heavier than my 2010 Burner TP, regardless of the shafts I tried. I could feel the head during the downswing better with the M1, a very good thing in my opinion.

2) The club is considerably more forgiving than the Burner TP -- noticeably less side spin on off-center hits, and more consistent distance-wise as well.

3) The sound and feel are fine -- a bit of a deeper thwack at impact, at a comparable level of loudness with my current club.

4) Interestingly, while I picked up 2-3 mph of ball speed with the M1, my max drives were very close between it and my current gamer. And I actually was getting a better smash factor with the Burner TP -- occasionally at 1.51 and 1.52 (vs. a high of 1.47 with the M1). Makes me think that I got a hot head with my old club.

5) Shot dispersion and flight consistency were noticeably better with the M1.

6) For me, the 460 head was better than the 430 head.

7) I've been playing a fade with my driver for the past year or so, with . Moving the weight 1/2 the click toward draw produced about 10 more yards of distance (into the low to mid 260 range of total distance).

So -- I've ordered a 10.5 degree 460 M1 with the Aldila 44 Magnum shaft (incredibly stable even at its light weight) in stiff, with the weights set however the TM guys had them set at the end. I'm excited to get the club to the course -- expecting to see more fairways hit, better distance with small misses, and comparable results with well-hit shots.

[quote name='PaulM26' timestamp='1445287291' post='12478718']
On Saturday I had a chance to get fitted for an M1 by TaylorMade reps during a demo day at a neighboring Club two miles down the road from my Club. It was a great experience -- I hit drivers for about 55 minutes after a warmup, with all shots tracked on a Flight Scope, and with the full attention of the two TM guys (one monitoring the Flight Scope, and the other swapping out head and shaft combos -- on a windy, 50 degree day, they booked individual sessions for an hour). I took three 2-minute breaks during the session, and fortunately my swing held up for the entire hour -- I hit the ball very consistently throughout the session.

I'm in my 50s, and while fit, I've lost a bit of clubhead speed (now in the 93-97 mph range with a driver, down about 3-5 mph from my mid-30s). I current play a 5 year old white Burner TP at 9.5 degrees with a Matrix HD-6 stiff shaft. Handicap is upper single digits. Impressions of the M1 vs. current driver are as follows:

1) The head weight of the M1 feels heavier than my 2010 Burner TP, regardless of the shafts I tried. I could feel the head during the downswing better with the M1, a very good thing in my opinion.

2) The club is considerably more forgiving than the Burner TP -- noticeably less side spin on off-center hits, and more consistent distance-wise as well.

3) The sound and feel are fine -- a bit of a deeper thwack at impact, at a comparable level of loudness with my current club.

4) Interestingly, while I picked up 2-3 mph of ball speed with the M1, my max drives were very close between it and my current gamer. And I actually was getting a better smash factor with the Burner TP -- occasionally at 1.51 and 1.52 (vs. a high of 1.47 with the M1). Makes me think that I got a hot head with my old club.

5) Shot dispersion and flight consistency were noticeably better with the M1.

6) For me, the 460 head was better than the 430 head.

7) I've been playing a fade with my driver for the past year or so, with . Moving the weight 1/2 the click toward draw produced about 10 more yards of distance (into the low to mid 260 range of total distance).

So -- I've ordered a 10.5 degree 460 M1 with the Aldila 44 Magnum shaft (incredibly stable even at its light weight) in stiff, with the weights set however the TM guys had them set at the end. I'm excited to get the club to the course -- expecting to see more fairways hit, better distance with small misses, and comparable results with well-hit shots.
[/quote]

Great comparison as the Burner 2.0 TP is a very nice head.....a few thoughts,

I have notice a reduction of my smash factor for the newer TM heads when compared to the older versions.....I just do not see many others posting high smash with the past three offerings from TM...lots of 1.47 or 1.48's not sure if the change in the CG location and that tend to tee the ball to high with these new heads had something to do with it or not.

On number 1, many on here have said that they feel that the M1 head felt lighter when compared to some recent heads. (R15 and SLDR) Your Burner 2.0 TP should be about the same weight head weight which is about 198 grams and my guess about the same length of 45.5". Not sure why it feels lighter to you but interesting.

Number 7, the Burner 2.0 TP has like 3 different retail versions out there and one was a huge fade monster with that solo weight in the toe area, plus the open faced head angle adds to that factor. If you set the M1 up on the lower setting and move the weight over to fade, you should see that fade again but it sounds like you are gleaming over the slight draw and I don't blame you.

Thanks for the insight!

[quote name='Black'N'Gold' timestamp='1441822218' post='12288500']
Seems like really odd timing to release a new club. Pro's generally aren't wanting to change clubs this late in the year, and unless you live in a 365 day/year golf climate, the majority of amateurs also have their bags set for the year. Seems like they could have waited till January/February to release.
[/quote]

It'll make a great Christmas present. Put it on lay-away.

• 8 months later...

Seems like really odd timing to release a new club. Pro's generally aren't wanting to change clubs this late in the year, and unless you live in a 365 day/year golf climate, the majority of amateurs also have their bags set for the year. Seems like they could have waited till January/February to release.

Does the R11s adaptor fit in the M1 adaptor?

Does the R11s adaptor fit in the M1 adaptor?

You had to revive a year old thread just to ask that question???? Wow bro.

Wrong forum as well which makes it even worse. ?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0