2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The 9th circle of confession.

Nine Miler

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1446772901' post='12559094']
Sad moment yesterday. I had a student called out of my first period class (I taught his brother last year and they are both fabulous). His 13 year old sister had been run over by a commercial pick-up truck on the way to school. Her body was struck by both sets of tires and she sustained life threatening injuries with multiple fractures throughout her body. She was air-lifted by helicopter to a hospital's intensive care unit 1 1/2 hours away. I don't know the exact details of her current state, but hear that she is stable and conscious.

Life is precious and can change at any moment. Don't know what I'd do if I lost one of my boys.
[/quote]

Makes you want to give your kids an extra hug. Mine are 30 to 39 but still can hug as we're all very close. Hope this young lady makes it through OK. Thoughts and prayers for her and her family. Thanks for sharing as family and life always need to be appreciated so much.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we have to start a new version of the #TourSauce hashtag... maybe we call it #MarketingScience or something like that for all the jokes that come from companies such as:
- "The Number One ball in golf" (yeah, because you pay more players to tee it up than anyone else does)
- "Turbolators" to help with aerodynamics and add clubhead speed. (yeah right)
- "The longest, most forgiving iron ever." (there are USGA limits to factors, other than loft, that make this impossible without loft jacking)
- "The longest ball ever." (see above re: limits by USGA)

Speaking of #TourSauce, I was very guilty of a couple of them today...
- Picking up a tee before my tee ball had even reached the apex.
- Club twirls ... they are fun. Just saying. Bonus "sauce" points for twirling on a shot that actually missed the green (hit 2 yds from the pin on the short side and kicked off to the right)
- Big time check up and hard checking wedge shots (not sure the 2 guys we played with had ever seen anything like that in person before).
- "Spike mark" tapping after a ball hits something and misses the cup. (technically, the greens weren't healed from the punching so I had a valid excuse)

Sorry for the back to back posting, but I just saw the ad for KickX Irons and had to make 2 major league comments on it... between fits of laughter.

1) The "proprietary" stainless steel to give it a forged-like feel ... #MarketingScience big time! Any club with perimeter weighting and "great big bertha, gen. 1" shape couldn't possibly have the sound and feel of a forged club. I'm pretty sure you couldn't make any stainless steel feel like a Mizuno, or Miura, forging.

2) You really gotta check out the LOFT JACKING on these things (1 club strong at 5 and 6 iron). Epic #MarketingScience ... until they get down to the 5 degree gaps on the 8 to 9, 9 to PW, and PW to GW to get back close to "conventional" lofts. I have that GW to SW (50 to 56), but I am not selling length in that gap... just saying.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1446803093' post='12560380']
Sorry for the back to back posting, but I just saw the ad for KickX Irons and had to make 2 major league comments on it... between fits of laughter.

1) The "proprietary" stainless steel to give it a forged-like feel ... #MarketingScience big time! Any club with perimeter weighting and "great big bertha, gen. 1" shape couldn't possibly have the sound and feel of a forged club. I'm pretty sure you couldn't make any stainless steel feel like a Mizuno, or Miura, forging.

2) You really gotta check out the LOFT JACKING on these things (1 club strong at 5 and 6 iron). Epic #MarketingScience ... until they get down to the 5 degree gaps on the 8 to 9, 9 to PW, and PW to GW to get back close to "conventional" lofts. I have that GW to SW (50 to 56), but I am not selling length in that gap... just saying.
[/quote]

I had some KickX Protos (now retail) in the bag for a while, with dg X7's pured, spine aligned, MOI matched and hard stepped 8x's, I'd describe the impact sensation as a 2 day old Cinnabon roll taken strait out of the fridge, and nuked in the microwave for 8min and 57 sec. on high, OR basically super soft, almost gelatinous, but extremely hard and so incredibly HOT :) #miuraeatyourheartout :D:D:D

[size=4][color=#474747]Junk- Ban Salein’[/color]

[color=#474747]You get up, and then they make you frown,[/color]

[color=#474747]You’ve had enough, of clubs you can’t keep around,[/color]

[color=#474747]And you know maybe, they just don’t have the right feel,[/color]

[color=#474747]You gotta throw away in bunches, and go buy some more for real…[/color]

[color=#474747]Might as well just junk. Junk![/color]

[color=#474747]Might as well junk,[/color]

[color=#474747]Go ahead and junk. Junk![/color]

[color=#474747]Go ahead, and junk.[/color]

[color=#474747]Ahh-ohh, you paid too much! Who read that?[/color]

[color=#474747]Baby how and when?[/color]

[color=#474747]You say you don’t know, you won’t show,[/color]

[color=#474747]Until I see the trash can…[/color]

[color=#474747]Well you can see me standin’ here[/color]

[color=#474747]I got my back against the garbage truck scene,[/color]

[color=#474747]And they’re the worst that I’ve seen,[/color]

[color=#474747]And you know what I mean![/color]

[color=#474747]Might as well just junk. Junk![/color]

[color=#474747]You got some more in the trunk,[/color]

[color=#474747]Go ahead and junk. Junk![/color]

[color=#474747]Go ahead, and junk.[/color][/size]

Golfball Wizard

Ever since I was a young boy
I played that dimpled ball
From Pinehurst out to Pebble
I must've played them all
But I ain't seen nothin like him
On any clubhouse wall

That tall slender lefty
Sure plays a mean golf ball.

He stands like a statue
Swings like a machine
Avoids all the hazards
Always picks it clean
Never has a 3 putt
His lag putts often fall.

That tall slender lefty
Sure plays a mean golf ball

He's a golf ball wizard
There has to be a twist
That golf ball wizard
Has such a supple wrist

How do you think he does it?
I don't know! What makes him so good?

Ain't got no distractions
Can't hear no shouts or yells
Don't see no cameras flashing
Plays by sense of feel
Always hits the fairway
Plays a 2 yard draw

That tall slender lefty
Sure plays a mean golf ball

I thought I was a short game king
But I just handed my favorite wedge to him

Even on my favorite munis
He can beat my best
Hits it down the middle
His Mizzys do the rest
Twirls the club with his fingers
Never seen him fall

That tall slender lefty
Sure plays a mean golf ball.

This is a true story from when I was little, in my home town...

to the tune of 'Yellow Submarine'

[b]We all Live Like The Fellow With Par 3’s [/b]

[b][color=#222222]In the town where I was born
Lived a fellow, who made par 3’s
And he told us he & his wife
Made this little course on his property

So he played right after work
You could say he played in between[/color][/b]
[b][color=#222222]And he’d walk under the sun
To his homemade little greens

We all live like the fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s[/color][/b]
[b][color=#222222]We all live like the fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s

And his friends could come aboard
Many more of them lived next door
And the band begins to play

The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s

Full swing ahead Mr. Dixon, full speed ahead
Full speed ahead it is,
Cut the tee ball, cut the tee ball
good eye sir, good eye,
It’s in, it’s in![/color][/b]

[b][color=#222222]And he lived a life of ease
He seemed to have, all his needs
(all his needs)
But he got sick, and left the scene
(left the scene)
And left his legacy, those little greens
(his little greens)

The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s

[quote name='SixtySomePing' timestamp='1446812812' post='12560532']
This is a true story from when I was little, in my home town...

[b]We all Live Like The Fellow With Par 3’s [/b]
[b][color=#222222] [/color][/b]

[b][color=#222222]In the town where I was born
Lived a fellow, who made par 3’s
And he told us he & his wife
Made this little course on his property

So he played right after work
You could say he played in between[/color][/b]
[b][color=#222222]And he’d walk under the sun
To his homemade little greens

The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s

And his friends could come aboard
Many more of them lived next door
And the band begins to play

The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s

Full swing ahead Mr. Dixon, full speed ahead
Full speed ahead it is,
Cut the tee ball, cut the tee ball
good eye sir, good eye,
It’s in, it’s in![/color][/b]

[b][color=#222222]And he lived a life of ease
He seemed to have, all his needs
(all his needs)
But he got sick, and left the scene
(left the scene)
And left his legacy, those little greens
(his little greens)

The fellow with par 3’s
The fellow with par 3’s
[/quote]

Ringo??

Lol! Very good as usual, my man!!

Gaucho, I almost always pick the tee up quickly. I don't do it to be like Kuch; I just do it.

I've never figured out the twirl, but most of the really good players I play with do it while they're watching a pured shot right at the pin.

I think that's one reason I putt poorly is that I could never take the time Top Am's and Pros take on the green in a regular round. I do it in tournaments because the pace is so slow you can't go anywhere. I don't think I could find anybody to play with if I had the putting PSR of even the fastest 20% of the tour rats.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1446823671' post='12561198']
Hi guys, sorry I've been absent. These songs gave me a little flu bug. D, glad the salmon worked out.

Anyone have a good recipe for Cup-a-soup and toast?
[/quote]

Cruzan Black Strap.
Hot buttered rum batter
Microwave
Comfy chair
TV
Or Internet

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Rad Ping took that technology from the old school (and I like it) Look at most persimmon drivers the sole is flat period. The face angle is controlled by how the face roll was finished. the old school theory was that on certain drivers lead tape on the toe helped the toe to tumble through impact thus squaring the face. It was hard in those days to find the perfect balance especially with steel shafts. that is inadvertantly how I learned to manilupate the face with my hands. In those days I preferred Power Bilt drivers because they had the weight in the back. Now my last persimmon driver I gamed front line is the one in my current strictly vintage set. It is a Penna model 59 with a graphite shaft. It was a little light for me from the get go so I have lead tape in the rear like a PB. I started playing that driver around 94 when my beloved blonde PB cracked it's last fatal time. I played it front line in mini events and money matches until 01 or 02. That same lead tape is in it has been there since 94. I will try to get a pic tonight

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing---- That is old that is even before 60 Something Ping and mine time

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1446805970' post='12560414']
[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1446803093' post='12560380']

[/quote]

I had some KickX Protos (now retail) in the bag for a while, with dg X7's pured, spine aligned, MOI matched and hard stepped 8x's, I'd describe the impact sensation as a 2 day old Cinnabon roll taken strait out of the fridge, and nuked in the microwave for 8min and 57 sec. on high, OR basically super soft, almost gelatinous, but extremely hard and so incredibly HOT :) #miuraeatyourheartout :D:D:D
[/quote]I assume you are kidding please tell me you are of course you know what happens when one assumes :taunt:

OK Rad I forgot I had a pic in my files of that driver in my strictly vintage set

[attachment=3022330:ATT_1445121383007_20151017_132917.jpg]

See how absolutely flat the sole is? Note the 20 year old lead tape Notice the 'bore through shaft" and also the "gravity core technology" all in 1992. BTW that paticular driver was custom built for a tour player who is a friend of mine and has hardly any face roll. He gave it to me in 94. And heck yes I can still hit those FC 4000s ceramic face irons too! Other than distance I can play those old sticks pretty competitive

Well I stand basically five pages behind. Will attempt to fully catch up this eve. Sounds like many tunes, hashtags, turbulators, club-twirls, putting woes, and tee pickups mysteries have been "solved." Still not ready to play in the sand box without at least trying to give all of the above more than the light "skim". Actually out of town at this hour visiting family.... hoping to play tomorrow at a course I've never seen in coastal NC. Could be interesting! Hopefully the right song, club-twirl, putting technique, or turbulator magic from all the reading here will get me by!

Later Gators...

Oh and PD... I did see the one about the young lady being involved in a serious accident. Hoping all is on the mend there and she sees a full recovery. Forgive me if I missed any word to the contrary....guilty here of some serious speed reading.

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1446847106' post='12563044']
Well I stand basically five pages behind. Will attempt to fully catch up this eve. Sounds like many tunes, hashtags, turbulators, club-twirls, putting woes, and tee pickups mysteries have been "solved." Still not ready to play in the sand box without at least trying to give all of the above more than the light "skim". Actually out of town at this hour visiting family.... hoping to play tomorrow at a course I've never seen in coastal NC. Could be interesting! Hopefully the right song, club-twirl, putting technique, or turbulator magic from all the reading here will get me by!

Later Gators...

Oh and PD... I did see the one about the young lady being involved in a serious accident. Hoping all is on the mend there and she sees a full recovery. Forgive me if I missed any word to the contrary....guilty here of some serious speed reading.
[/quote]

There's also shots to dodge Nine's flu if you need, oh and Stu is "Just a Swingin'... or "It Don't Mean a Thing"... depends on if you're from Ellington, or Anderson's time...

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1446798184' post='12560300']
Papa - cameras are allowed. I'm trying to figure out how to avoid them :)

PD - sending good thoughts to the girl and her family. Also sending good thoughts to the poor driver. Unless he was doing something stupid then he deserves to suffer.

injured kids are the hardest calls. we had a bad crash here many years back where a family car tumbled badly.

Father and two kids non-viable DOA. Mother was trapped in car screaming for her baby. 8 month old boy.

We were using the jaws on the car while she was literally tearing at the interior screaming she wasn't going anywhere without her baby. All we could do was say her baby was being attended to...Ma'am he is being attended to by medics. Ma'am he is being attended to... Over and over about 15 times.

Meanwhile the paramedics prepared an IV push of Ativan and an EMT-B collected the boy's body parts off the roadway into a bag.

I still remember the car interior, the mother, and the father (driver) reeked of alcohol. Very uncomfortable.

*edit
Sorry for being morbid, but life is precious. Be careful and thankful each day, friends...
[/quote]

I worked in emergency rescue a little and have a brother-in-law who is a firefighter/medic in metro Denver. Don't apologize for sharing. I think every time we remember and share one of these stories it makes us feel a little better.

Got out today and played pretty well. Seemed I was getting up and down from every where, but I had a couple three putts that hurt. Pace and partners served up a pretty big distraction, and I might have been a little bold to take my brand new full-grain stiff as hell leather shoes on my 7 mile walk. A pair of soft broken in shoes at the turn would have been the pro play. Greens were lightning, but I was getting the speed right so I built some confidence!

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1446846005' post='12562946']
OK Rad I forgot I had a pic in my files of that driver in my strictly vintage set

[attachment=3022330:ATT_1445121383007_20151017_132917.jpg]

See how absolutely flat the sole is? Note the 20 year old lead tape Notice the 'bore through shaft" and also the "gravity core technology" all in 1992. BTW that paticular driver was custom built for a tour player who is a friend of mine and has hardly any face roll. He gave it to me in 94. And heck yes I can still hit those FC 4000s ceramic face irons too! Other than distance I can play those old sticks pretty competitive
[/quote]

Cool sticks Stu. Some of the radio guys are going even further back to
the hickory sticks and playing them once a week or so. Guys like Mark
Carnavale, Dennis Paulson and Carl Paulson. Maybe you know them
for all I know, lol. I think Carl is from S. Carolina.

They're getting their clubs from Tad Moore in Bama. They haven't
mentioned prices but I have heard the clubs are pricey. I've heard
Tad on the radio with them from time to time.

Has been years since I've played even persimmon and blades. To
be honest I don't know if I could even play those clubs today. They
were tough to hit when I was young; much less trying to hit them
now, lol.

Getting back to hickory I've heard you really have to swing smoothly
and have good timing. Dennis has said he can shoot around par with
them but had to move up a set of tees, naturally. But he has said
he's around a +3 these days as compared to the +6 to +8 he was
when he was playing on the tour.

If I ever get over there, or we have an outing I'll have to try and hit
your sticks just to see if I can, lol. I'd probably spray that persimmon
driver all over the place, lol, and turn my bones to dust with those
old blades, haha.

Rad,

The G25's were my first foray into the world of Ping. I had longed for a set for a very long time and decided to take the plunge after testing a handful of models. I never purchased the K15 driver, but demoed it numerous times. I wanted to like the club, but the ball wanted to go left and the sound was different. The former was definitely a PD swing issue. I've heard very good things about the fairway wood line in that series.

On the fairway wood end. Just received a picture of my bead blasted 949 head and it looks really good. The 929 can't have the same finish applied as there appears to be some type of undercoating and the gents at Continental are scared to crack the head.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Stu,

I don't know what you decided, but I did reach out to Continental golf about chrome stripping. $30 per head and they would clean up the head and apply a paint-fill of my choice after stripping. I'm going to send the VIP short irons for a treatment to match my custom VIP wedges. If they are raw I don't have to worry about them taking some abuse. The chrome is just too pretty. I'm going to leave the new set of VIP's with the chrome finish.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers in regards to the young lady. I have nothing new to report and will provide closure when I get some further clarification. I do agree that the driver of the vehicle needs some love as well as I'm certain this traumatic event is etched in his mind.

Dan, my wife is a 911 dispatcher. She has far too many horrific stories, but is thankful that she isn't on the 'front-lines' at some of these accidents. She struggles to shake some of the calls she receives, but really enjoys her chosen vocation.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Reason,

I purchased an Axe graphite iron shaft on Wednesday (I went up a flex to attain the weight I want but will soft-step 2x). I will prep the shaft tomorrow and install in a 6 iron head. If I like the feel (which shouldn't be a problem as I have the shaft hybrid and fairway shafts and like them) I will pick up a few more for the aforementioned raw VIP heads.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Evening Gents :)

This is from the Kelvin thread in the Instruction Acadamy-

WTF?!?

I've never heard so much garbage in my life, LMAO

Richie Hunt was talkin about super slo mo training that's the fave now with this one jamoke-

I've been usin that since I was 14 friggin years old!!

My first lesson with Pete-

30 minutes on grip

30 minutes on setup

Then 1hour lesson in 1/4 speed, same for 1/2 & 3/4 with 9i then do it all again with driver and then 3i all in front of a mirror with Pete crackin my forearms if they got outa position. Haha, he never cracked Madison :)

Sam did it religiously in his hotel room with a mirror he took from tourney to tourney.

He routinely practiced in super slow mo takin exactly 60 seconds and I saw him twice take 90(one was for a $20 bet, lmao).

And I'd been breakin 80 from the front tees in tourneys for almost a year and a half so I wasn't a chop-

He didn't care

Broke the swing into six parts-

I didn't hit a ball or take a full swing full speed till my third month on my 10th lesson and I was a month ahead of his normal schedule

These guys, even the pros, are effed up

They're talkin about friggin dissertations, LMeffinAO!!!!!

It's a gotd*** golf swing!!!

Two swings for different clubs?

Please don't explain to me the different swings for a short to a long club

I frickin know that-

But read this guy's post please

The left pivot point?!?

Pivot this...... ;)

You gotta read that thread, lmao

I like Richie but I'm stunned that he can even swing, forget have a SF over 1.35, LMFAO

Good God, they sound like a bunch of lil girls on a playground-

I'm dead a** serious-

Men Don't waste their time like this....

And Players SureTF don't

Stay Well Bros :)

Always,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Stu, not to worry my man, I would never waste my money on a set of Kickx irons LOL!! :)

Richard, good to hear from you Brother and hope all is well! :D As for that thread, that's why I stay out of the I&A most times. That's stuff is far too complicated and way over my head. I try to keep it as simple as possible, I've learned more about the actual swing since joining WRX but I'm still keeping my ability to forget everything and just swing the club. Sometimes ignorance is indeed bliss :)

PD, please do give us an update on the girl when you know. Also, I can understand how your wife would need to debrief after some of the things she hears and deals with at work. My uncle has been search and rescue here for almost 20 years now, I've heard all the stories, he has seen things that most people should never have to see, same for everyone involved in all branches emergency services for that matter, takes a special individual to perform under those conditions.

I'm too soft Hammy to enter a first response line of work. I don't like the sight of blood and confess to crying at a few commercials. I'd be a mess nightly.

Heck, I'm nursing a glass of Elijah Craig as I type this and I didn't have an awful day.

Maybe after a few I'll venture to the I & A Forum. Um, probably not : )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Occam's razor.

Things get over complicated. Decent grip and stance. Backswing that falls somewhere between too flat and too upright then hit damn ball. It's harder than it looks. Simpler than we make it.

Ground forces, biomechanics......BS! Hit it and go get it.

When you visualize a shot, your first instinct tells you the club. Your brain does all the calculations. If you hit a different club for some reason, you commit to it. Visualize. You brain does all the calculations.

I seen a video about external focus. If I can find it I'll come back and edit it in.