2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The 9th circle of confession.

Nine Miler

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1446863325' post='12564244']
Richard, I saw Bob Toski do a clinic at Detroit Golf Club probably 15 years ago. I'm not sure how old he was then, but he wasn't young.

What really amazed me is that he was hitting these beautiful 5 irons and wasn't even missing a breath in his spiel. His rhythm was so good and natural it didn't even change his speech pattern to hit balls. Pretty incredible. He wasn't hitting them short either, and he was not a big guy.

I'm no disciple of any teacher, and I don't even know Toski's philosophy, but that was impressive. It had to have been if I remember that about that clinic, rather than anything else.
[/quote]Do not know anything about his teaching methods but have seen some horrid looking golf clubs with his name on them in the past

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1446866508' post='12564416']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1446862797' post='12564210']
[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1446862039' post='12564148']
Stu, not to worry my man, I would never waste my money on a set of Kickx irons LOL!! :)

Richard, good to hear from you Brother and hope all is well! :D As for that thread, that's why I stay out of the I&A most times. That's stuff is far too complicated and way over my head. I try to keep it as simple as possible, I've learned more about the actual swing since joining WRX but I'm still keeping my ability to forget everything and just swing the club. Sometimes ignorance is indeed bliss :)
[/quote]Like Sam often said-

"The golf swing is simple arithmetic and y'all are doin trigonometry(he was initially addressing Bob Toski and Jim McLean at the GD Teacher's Panel summit-

He was not a stupid man by any stretch but he thought most teachers, #1, having never played tour level golf, knew little to nothing about the change in breathing under pressure that results in a swing change and #2, they tried to teach at full speed and it is near impossible for a Pro to correct at full speed-

What chance does an Am have?

Martial arts, world class musicians, Pitching coaches, my LB coach in college, SEAL Teams and Green hats, they all learn in super slow mo(walk through) again and again and ya just pick up the pace until eventually you are going full speed

It gives muscle memory a chance to ingrain the movement(s)-

It simple though it takes three traits-

1) Discipline
2) Focus
3) Drive

But if ya think about it, most things in life take those three factors if ya wanna be a Champion or compete with em-

HaHa, I'm tired :)

Stay Well Bro

Always,
Richard
[/quote]

RP, I've been following you all over this forum the last few days. You've been putting up some gems about Butch, Stevie, Tiger and Phil. I need to go back and find the post where you brought up some of the books you read. There's one that you "inspired" Pete to give out to his students. Unless, you just want to tell me here. It would be appreciated.
[/quote]My pleasure Bro :)

#1 to 3, top to bottom....

Stevie's book is short and sweet as I only read the two chapters on the mental side. As I said, the information, to me, is valuable enough that I'd pay the hardcover retail price for it, though the clearance bin at Half Off Books made it a literal steal, haha.

The book that Pete saw me reading, then read himself, then handed out to his students is the first one, by Dr. Peale.

And they didn't need to be a low cap or Player, they just had to be serious about improving, and the great thing about Pete is that except when Ladies(Maddie, this includes you, hahaha) fawned over him, words meant little to him, as who wouldn't tell Pete Snead that they were serious about improving though he watched their actions, their practice routine and how prepared they showed up at the next lesson.

I can't tell ya the number of students that he farmed out to other teachers, like a doc dismissing a patient, he'd give em 2-3 names, and one was Madison's as she did her Apprenticeship under Pete.

He didn't give me any names when he booted me, he just said "Get the hell off of my tee," LMAO. I did but not before planting one more tee and roping one 270-275(persimmon Babeeeee, lol) then winking at him as I walked off, lol. That sorta pissed him off cuz he made me wait three months and grovel much harder than the first time, haha(there would be one more). He sounded sorta like my dad when he chirped "get the hell out of my OR," lol. Boy do I wish I had a club and ball with me then as I'd have put it through the friggin X-Ray box, haha.

Yea, I had issues :)

Anyhoo, They are easy reads all-

Have a great weekend my Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Richard, I saw Bob Toski do a clinic at Detroit Golf Club probably 15 years ago. I'm not sure how old he was then, but he wasn't young.

What really amazed me is that he was hitting these beautiful 5 irons and wasn't even missing a breath in his spiel. His rhythm was so good and natural it didn't even change his speech pattern to hit balls. Pretty incredible. He wasn't hitting them short either, and he was not a big guy.

I'm no disciple of any teacher, and I don't even know Toski's philosophy, but that was impressive. It had to have been if I remember that about that clinic, rather than anything else.
[/quote]Yea, Toski was a Player for sure-

He had 5 Tour victories and was leading money winner in 1954. He joined the Senior Tour in 1980, I believe that he was one of the Plank Owners as he was there from the beginning.

He was involved in a cheating scandal in '85(Senior Tour event in japan) whereby Gay Brewer stated the he marked away from a spike mark on the green that previously had been between his ball and the hole.

He claimed no recollection of such a transgression however he left the Tour in the beginning of '85, shortly after the event and returned in April of 1986.

And he was a little thing, like 5'6"-5'7", a buck thirty five- buck fourty

He was very close with Davis Love II and they co-wrote an instructional book together and while I did not adopt or implement any of the instructional into my swing, it was a solid read with grounded thoughts, instruction and advice, unlike McLean, who came/comes out with a new swing theory every 4-5 years.

He grated on Sam, though Sam liked Toski and was ok with his instructional thoughts that he had as he didn't try to make them sound like "trigonometry." He grew disenchanted with the GD Golf School because he felt it was being run by business men and not Teachers and Players and they were making thoughts, theories and instruction more difficult than need be to justify the cost of the "school."

It's my .01 worth that McLean is to the physical game what Rotella is to the mental....

A putz

The X-Factor?....

X this ;)

Stay Well Bro and have a great weekend :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[b]Start It Up [/b][b](best read with this in the background- [/b][url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvLfSeUDX_Q"]https://www.youtube....h?v=LvLfSeUDX_Q[/url]

[size=4]If you start it up
If you start it up you'll never stop
If you start it up
Golf’s a game you’ll never stop[/size]
[size=4]If you’re playin’ hot
You stick around cause pretty soon you’re not
If you start it up
If you start it up you'll never stop
Never stop, never stop, never stop[/size]

[size=4]It makes a golf ball fly
It makes a golf ball fly
It makes you go and try[/size]
[size=4]Beat on the soil, go act real mean
Then walk real smooth, and be a mean golf machine
Start it up[/size]

[size=4]If you start it up
Kick on the long ball, give it all you got, [/size]
[size=4]all you got, all you got
I can't compete [/size]
[size=4]W[/size][size=4]ith the pros I see on TV
If you’re in the rough
If you like it you can slide it up
Pitch it up, hack it up, smack it up[/size]

It makes a golf ball fly

[size=4]My wedges gyrate, land on the green
My hands are easy , when I’m a putting mean, mean machine
Start it up[/size]
[size=4]Start it up
Give it all you got
You got to never, never, never stop
Don’t Slice it up, baby don’t just slide it up
Hack it up, Hook it up, never, never, never[/size]

It makes a golf ball fly

[size=4]Into the wind at double speed
It takes you places that you've never, never seen[/size]
[size=4]Start it up
I Love the game and I will never stop, never stop
Never, never, never stop
Turn me up
Never stop, never stop[/size]

It makes a golf ball fly

Funny story(well not at the time, lol) about Pete and I after a tourney and it was shortly after my first Club in '86 and we're driving back and we got like an hour's drive and he's rippin me and basically telling me what a moron I was and when was I gonna quit thinkin like a chop and become a Player(it would be five years before he referred to me as such and it was actually to my Mother after I got smoked by Jay Sigel 7&6, and I had a chip in and nail a 25'er to halve two frickin holes, lmao. I was in wayyyyyy outa my league there but hey, I showed up and played well, lol)

So Pete wouldn't stop and he is replaying the whole frickin round and actually, I didn't play that poorly, lol, as even with 5-6(that was debatable, lmao) bonehead decisions I had a 77(I had a -1, 70 1st round and was T5, 4 off) and finished T12 in a nice field event. But Pete wouldn't let up.

I was pissed at myself and I've always been harder on myself than anyone else was on me in my life because back then I was chasin shadows, so I was extremely hard on myself.

So we finally come around a bend and I'd had enough and I just said in an even keeled voice, "can you please do me a huge favor and just STFU."

I was seein double I was so pissed, and Pete was rubbin alcohol in the wound.

So he stops the car on this old two-lane rural road, out in the middle of Timbuck F***** Two and says "get out."

I didn't hesitate and I jumped out, opened the back door and unclipped my Mizzy bag towel off my bag, as I figured between my dress and if I made the towel visible I'd maybe catch a golfer drivin by.

So I'm walkin and it had to be a mile-mile and a half and not a car comes by but around the bend in front of me comes ole Petey comin back my way. He stops when he gets to me, stops, puts down the window and chirps, "hop in, and move it." Well, I didn't stop walkin so he pulls a Uee and pulls along side me and with the passenger side window down again beckons me to get in.

Without stopping or looking at him I chirp, "I wouldn't get in that car if you were the last man on earth and I was dyin."

Well, Pete knew me well enough plus his personality, lol, so off he drove.

I ended up gettin a ride from a local in a pick-up who asks me if I was goin to church dressed like that(it was a frickin Friday afternoon, lol) and he was goin as far as a little town about 7-8 miles up the road. Once there I went to a diner, grabbed a bite to eat and the sweet lady behind the counter told me that there was a bus to "the big city", speaking of the Burgh, in about 60-75 minutes. It was a small charter company that ran two buses a day to the city, morning and late afternoon.

This was pre-cell but she let me use the phone and I called the men's card room at the club, spoke to a bartender and told him to have Dave call when he got there. About 30 minutes later Dave called and I arranged for him to meet me at the bus station at 8:00pm.

So I got home about 9:00 and Pete had already called my Mother and when I walked in she just said that I was going to have to grow up and "quit playing stupid golf."

My Mother, God Bless Her, wouldn't know a good shot from a poor one, though she too Loved Pete so once again I was the village idiot ;)

I just kissed her on the cheek, went upstairs and went to bed(my house had burnt down the week before and I lived at home for 2 weeks till I found a place).

Have a great day Gents :)

All the Best,
Richard

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1446888770' post='12565024']

[/quote]Do not know anything about his teaching methods but have seen some horrid looking golf clubs with his name on them in the past
[/quote]Lmao I had a set of his heads. Got them made to my 'specs' from like 20+ years ago. Don't know what I was thinking, well wasn't. They were smallish head, which I like, but a topline the size of like two bites of an El Grande Burrito. Hit them pretty good, the topline just wore me out. Only had them for a couple years.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Stu,

I'd love to see a picture of the Strange wedge if you ever get a chance to take a photograph.

I was thinking during my morning round that I will probably never meet some of the individuals (and/or have some of the on-course experiences) that you and Richard (and a few others in this thread) have.

Funny how we all live on the same planet and have such different paths in life.

Money and connections. I don't have enough of either at the moment.

Come on Lotto 649.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Had another revelation this morning while I was searching for golf balls in a ditch. After finding my 12th golf ball of the round (a fourth Wilson Ultra) I began to question why I was in the ditch in the first place. I have 7+ dozen new golf balls at home, and have three buckets filled with 100+ balls in my garage (most barely used). I didn't lose a ball this morning and rarely lose more than a ball a round.

What the heck is wrong with me. I actually take pleasure descending down the slope of a ditch to unearth a random golf ball (that 8/10 times is of the Pinnacle, Wilson, Top Flight variety).

I feel like a man that survived the depression and is now stocking his cupboards with soup cans.

Confession over.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1446915659' post='12566022']
Had another revelation this morning while I was searching for golf balls in a ditch. After finding my 12th golf ball of the round (a fourth Wilson Ultra) I began to question why I was in the ditch in the first place. I have 7+ dozen new golf balls at home, and have three buckets filled with 100+ balls in my garage (most barely used). I didn't lose a ball this morning and rarely lose more than a ball a round.

What the heck is wrong with me. I actually take pleasure descending down the slope of a ditch to unearth a random golf ball (that 8/10 times is of the Pinnacle, Wilson, Top Flight variety).

I feel like a man that survived the depression and is now stocking his cupboards with soup cans.

Confession over.
[/quote]

That's funny. I think Top Flight's and Pinnacles reproduce.
Even though I like playing Snells, my preference was either Pro V1X or Callaway SR2. So at the end of the season last year I found this deal on Ebay from this guy I had bought from before, AAAAA SR2's like 6 trillion dozen for $86.00 or something like that, I figured I would use them this year, well I only used 1 trillion so I have so many left now I [i]want[/i] to lose them :) not really, I do like them...

Confession over.
[/quote]
Purge, brother PD, purge!

LOL I am a chronic 'easter egg' (i.e. ball) hunter too. And my stockpile is at least good for three years. It's really not about how many balls you have in stock. It is the little joy found in finding that playable 'good' ball during the hunt and amidst all the pinnacles and top-flites. Like finding that easter egg as a kid.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

So I'm not the only ball hawk in the crew. I found two Pro V's this morning in near mint shape and thanked the fall leaves.

Those balls are like gold at my home course. We've got a great deal of Wilson and Pinnacle wallets in the club house.

Not that I seem to score any different with each ball.

I do like the feel of a three piece + urethane ball off of the putter face.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

SSP,

I get your point about wanting to lose a ball. I can play entire round with a bag full of quality balls and put a found ball into play for the entire 18 holes.

No idea why I do this.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

WoW, I talked to Mitch on the phone last night for 3 hours and 2 minutes, lol, from 1:28am to 4:30am

Talk about sundowners, lmao

Enjoyed the hell out him

Class Class Gent!!

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1446901693' post='12565282']
[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1446866508' post='12564416']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1446862797' post='12564210']
[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1446862039' post='12564148']
Stu, not to worry my man, I would never waste my money on a set of Kickx irons LOL!! :)

Richard, good to hear from you Brother and hope all is well! :D As for that thread, that's why I stay out of the I&amp;A most times. That's stuff is far too complicated and way over my head. I try to keep it as simple as possible, I've learned more about the actual swing since joining WRX but I'm still keeping my ability to forget everything and just swing the club. Sometimes ignorance is indeed bliss :)
[/quote]Like Sam often said-

"The golf swing is simple arithmetic and y'all are doin trigonometry(he was initially addressing Bob Toski and Jim McLean at the GD Teacher's Panel summit-

He was not a stupid man by any stretch but he thought most teachers, #1, having never played tour level golf, knew little to nothing about the change in breathing under pressure that results in a swing change and #2, they tried to teach at full speed and it is near impossible for a Pro to correct at full speed-

What chance does an Am have?

Martial arts, world class musicians, Pitching coaches, my LB coach in college, SEAL Teams and Green hats, they all learn in super slow mo(walk through) again and again and ya just pick up the pace until eventually you are going full speed

It gives muscle memory a chance to ingrain the movement(s)-

It simple though it takes three traits-

1) Discipline
2) Focus
3) Drive

But if ya think about it, most things in life take those three factors if ya wanna be a Champion or compete with em-

HaHa, I'm tired :)

Stay Well Bro

Always,
Richard
[/quote]

RP, I've been following you all over this forum the last few days. You've been putting up some gems about Butch, Stevie, Tiger and Phil. I need to go back and find the post where you brought up some of the books you read. There's one that you "inspired" Pete to give out to his students. Unless, you just want to tell me here. It would be appreciated.
[/quote]My pleasure Bro :)

#1 to 3, top to bottom....

Stevie's book is short and sweet as I only read the two chapters on the mental side. As I said, the information, to me, is valuable enough that I'd pay the hardcover retail price for it, though the clearance bin at Half Off Books made it a literal steal, haha.

The book that Pete saw me reading, then read himself, then handed out to his students is the first one, by Dr. Peale.

And they didn't need to be a low cap or Player, they just had to be serious about improving, and the great thing about Pete is that except when Ladies(Maddie, this includes you, hahaha) fawned over him, words meant little to him, as who wouldn't tell Pete Snead that they were serious about improving though he watched their actions, their practice routine and how prepared they showed up at the next lesson.

I can't tell ya the number of students that he farmed out to other teachers, like a doc dismissing a patient, he'd give em 2-3 names, and one was Madison's as she did her Apprenticeship under Pete.

He didn't give me any names when he booted me, he just said "Get the hell off of my tee," LMAO. I did but not before planting one more tee and roping one 270-275(persimmon Babeeeee, lol) then winking at him as I walked off, lol. That sorta pissed him off cuz he made me wait three months and grovel much harder than the first time, haha(there would be one more). He sounded sorta like my dad when he chirped "get the hell out of my OR," lol. Boy do I wish I had a club and ball with me then as I'd have put it through the friggin X-Ray box, haha.

Yea, I had issues :)

Anyhoo, They are easy reads all-

Have a great weekend my Friend,
Richard
[/quote]

Thank you, Sir!! I appreciate it.

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1446928638' post='12566854']
WoW, I talked to Mitch on the phone last night for 3 hours and 2 minutes, lol, from 1:28am to 4:30am

Enjoyed the hell out him

Class Class Gent!!

Richard
[/quote]

I believe you RP if you're talking about Mitchell. I read in another thread
that he knows and has played with John Maginnes. I was gonna chime in
there since I've listened to John on the radio since about 2006, lol, never
met him but feel like I know him.

Anyway, John is a fun lovin' guy and laughs A LOT on the radio and Mitch
strikes me as a very serious guy. I've sort of chalked it up to the line of
work he is in and all the awful stuff he encounters.

Please tell me Mitch laughed a lot on the phone. He can't be serious ALL
the time, lol.

I remember being in the "What makes Ping so great' thread many months
ago...and the thread was off the tracks and we were behaving like children
as usual......and Mitch posts something about us all behaving like children.

Yep, guilty as charged. I hope you made him laugh, bro. :D

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1446920532' post='12566354']
SSP,

I get your point about wanting to lose a ball. I can play entire round with a bag full of quality balls and put a found ball into play for the entire 18 holes.

No idea why I do this.
[/quote]

I know, same for me. Also I take my dear wife with me a lot, even though she just goes along for the walk and so we can be together. But she likes finding lost balls and gives them to me. So she realized I never use them. So she asked why and I said "because you found them, and so they mean a lot to me, I don't want to hit them and not know where they went and lose them" (she's so practical) so she said "well I cook for you, and you like that, and you know where that ends up"... :huh: ... [size=2]so, now I use them[/size]

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1446933122' post='12567106']

Enjoyed the hell out him

Class Class Gent!!

Richard
[/quote]

the time, lol.

[/quote]

Rad, if I may, what makes Pings so great?

OK PD this is for you the Curtis Strange VIP wedge

[attachment=3023210:20151107_180731.jpg]
Note the 09/50p-- Now you will see the ones from time to time on E-Bay with just the numbers as 09/50 without the p. The p designates it was his personally. I took the pic to show the etching. this was one of his that he gave me straight out of the trunk of his car. It was funny him and his twin brother Allen were going to Hilton Head and had stopped by the golf shop to kill some time. Now I had regripped my VIPs that morning and they were sitting in the front area in my Titleist Staff bag with my name on it. Mine and the old man's name was the same except we had different middle names so I really was not a Junior. Allen said to Curtis "Look at that bag I thought he was dead" I stepped out and said he is but I live on. Curtis said "damn what are you doing here?" I told him. Curtis asked if I actually played those VIPs ? I told him hell yeah I do and I am playing them in a mini event Monday. He said I may have something in the car for you. he went out there rumminging around in the Caddy they were driving and found this wedge and he gave it to me. It is just like it was when he gave it to me grip and all S-400 shaft. I did try to hit it some but it had too much offset for me. Curtis and his brother knew my old man well from some circles and knew me when I was younger. I got into an arguement one night with another guy on another blog about this wedge. Another guy who was I felt at the time was one of the best Macgregor authorities at the time (he is deceased now)said that it was legit if what I said it was true. I know it is legit because I know WHO I got it from

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1446913774' post='12565874']
Funny story(well not at the time, lol) about Pete and I after a tourney and it was shortly after my first Club in '86 and we're driving back and we got like an hour's drive and he's rippin me and basically telling me what a moron I was and when was I gonna quit thinkin like a chop and become a Player(it would be five years before he referred to me as such and it was actually to my Mother after I got smoked by Jay Sigel 7&6, and I had a chip in and nail a 25'er to halve two frickin holes, lmao. I was in wayyyyyy outa my league there but hey, I showed up and played well, lol)

So Pete wouldn't stop and he is replaying the whole frickin round and actually, I didn't play that poorly, lol, as even with 5-6(that was debatable, lmao) bonehead decisions I had a 77(I had a -1, 70 1st round and was T5, 4 off) and finished T12 in a nice field event. But Pete wouldn't let up.

I was pissed at myself and I've always been harder on myself than anyone else was on me in my life because back then I was chasin shadows, so I was extremely hard on myself.

So we finally come around a bend and I'd had enough and I just said in an even keeled voice, "can you please do me a huge favor and just STFU."

I was seein double I was so pissed, and Pete was rubbin alcohol in the wound.

So he stops the car on this old two-lane rural road, out in the middle of Timbuck F***** Two and says "get out."

I didn't hesitate and I jumped out, opened the back door and unclipped my Mizzy bag towel off my bag, as I figured between my dress and if I made the towel visible I'd maybe catch a golfer drivin by.

So I'm walkin and it had to be a mile-mile and a half and not a car comes by but around the bend in front of me comes ole Petey comin back my way. He stops when he gets to me, stops, puts down the window and chirps, "hop in, and move it." Well, I didn't stop walkin so he pulls a Uee and pulls along side me and with the passenger side window down again beckons me to get in.

Without stopping or looking at him I chirp, "I wouldn't get in that car if you were the last man on earth and I was dyin."

Well, Pete knew me well enough plus his personality, lol, so off he drove.

I ended up gettin a ride from a local in a pick-up who asks me if I was goin to church dressed like that(it was a frickin Friday afternoon, lol) and he was goin as far as a little town about 7-8 miles up the road. Once there I went to a diner, grabbed a bite to eat and the sweet lady behind the counter told me that there was a bus to "the big city", speaking of the Burgh, in about 60-75 minutes. It was a small charter company that ran two buses a day to the city, morning and late afternoon.

This was pre-cell but she let me use the phone and I called the men's card room at the club, spoke to a bartender and told him to have Dave call when he got there. About 30 minutes later Dave called and I arranged for him to meet me at the bus station at 8:00pm.

So I got home about 9:00 and Pete had already called my Mother and when I walked in she just said that I was going to have to grow up and "quit playing stupid golf."

My Mother, God Bless Her, wouldn't know a good shot from a poor one, though she too Loved Pete so once again I was the village idiot ;)

I just kissed her on the cheek, went upstairs and went to bed(my house had burnt down the week before and I lived at home for 2 weeks till I found a place).

Have a great day Gents :)

All the Best,
Richard
[/quote]Damn!!! and I thought me and the old man got into it actually we were just as bad

Confession over.
[/quote]LOL One of the guys in my regular group is a multi- millionaire and he still hawks balls carries the latest greatest ball retriever. Now believe it or not he never plays what he finds he always plays new Pro v1s. Heck sometimes him and his buddy will forget they are playing a match because they are hawking balls. The Miura dealer will get so freaking mad at them that he is almost spitting nails. I asked him what he does with the balls he swears he SELLS them to a guy that does the flea markets. Now when he finds them he will give me any I want but for some reason I am the only one he will give them to. I will get any of the Bridgestone or Srixon softs he finds and occasionally a Cally Chrome Soft

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1446938527' post='12567394']
OK PD this is for you the Curtis Strange VIP wedge

[attachment=3023210:20151107_180731.jpg]
Note the 09/50p-- Now you will see the ones from time to time on E-Bay with just the numbers as 09/50 without the p. The p designates it was his personally. I took the pic to show the etching. this was one of his that he gave me straight out of the trunk of his car. It was funny him and his twin brother Allen were going to Hilton Head and had stopped by the golf shop to kill some time. Now I had regripped my VIPs that morning and they were sitting in the front area in my Titleist Staff bag with my name on it. Mine and the old man's name was the same except we had different middle names so I really was not a Junior. Allen said to Curtis "Look at that bag I thought he was dead" I stepped out and said he is but I live on. Curtis said "damn what are you doing here?" I told him. Curtis asked if I actually played those VIPs ? I told him hell yeah I do and I am playing them in a mini event Monday. He said I may have something in the car for you. he went out there rumminging around in the Caddy they were driving and found this wedge and he gave it to me. It is just like it was when he gave it to me grip and all S-400 shaft. I did try to hit it some but it had too much offset for me. Curtis and his brother knew my old man well from some circles and knew me when I was younger. I got into an arguement one night with another guy on another blog about this wedge. Another guy who was I felt at the time was one of the best Macgregor authorities at the time (he is deceased now)said that it was legit if what I said it was true. I know it is legit because I know WHO I got it from
[/quote]Great story Bro!!

And Bro, you don't need some "authority" ta tell ya what's "legit."

You know what he pulled out of the trunk and it's similar to when Sam used to pull stuff out of his trunk and he gave me a couple of JP wedges, custom grind and two 8802's, one that he actually used in two Tour events in the early 70's. That's the one that I put in my Caddy's casket who passed from cancer. Anyhoo, sometimes they were customized with "SS" like the wedges though the Penna/Staff driver he gave me had the regular Staff sole plate and no customization(It was 100% Pena driver, and Mr. Pena out the Staff sole plate on due to Sam's contractual arrangement. He hated Staff woods, lol. They were s*** for makin such amazing irons and wedges, lol.)

You don't owe anyone am explanation Bro-

Eff em :)

Oh, and all the Vokey bois who chirp about Voke's dominance on Tour, well Vokey never had more than 41% of the wedges on Tour and currently have 38%-

Staff had 54-58% in the 60s-80's and 52% into the mid-90's(1994-95) before they lost their way-

Mizzy is cool but Staff and Mac??

They're the Real Deal!!

61 MAJORS BABEEEEE!!!

SIXTY FRICKIN ONE!!!!

The 59's, The 71 Button Backs and the 78-80 Tour Blades!!!

They'll run with anything Mizzy ever put out-

The 87's??

Paleeeeeze ;)

Damn, now I'm tired, lmao, I gotta rest for a bit. I can't get all excited like I used to, lol

Extremely Well Played :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,
Richard

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1446934908' post='12567200']

Enjoyed the hell out him

Class Class Gent!!

Richard
[/quote]

the time, lol.

[/quote]

Rad, if I may, what makes Pings so great?
[/quote]

Ya have to read the thread bro but since I think you posted in it I'm
sure you already have.

It's the thread the long lost Chuck_22046 alter ego "shanksfornuthin"
started. I think the title was more like "What's the big deal about Ping?"
LOL. He was overwhelmed reading all the Ping Love Threads on WRX
and had to ask why all the Ping love. :D

Anyway, I know your question is a smart a** :D question so here comes
my smart a** :D[size=1]patent pending[size=4] answer;[/size][/size]

[size=1][size=4]Ping is great because they are great. Here is proof:[/size][/size]

[size=1][size=4]Calc made 9 birdies in a row with Ping clubs. Easy Peasy.[/size][/size] :shok:

Living in an area where job transfers are expected. The major employers are three major bank HQs, a major airline, and two major engineering firms. This makes it hard to keep a consistent golf "group" together for long. The one bud I've kept through the years decided about a year ago to basically give up golf. I guilt him into occasional rounds but his heart's just not in it these days. (shame). He was the biggest ball hawk I've ever known.

'Bout two years ago I noticed my bag feeling heavier and heavier. Clean out my bag hoping to shed some weight. About 75 skank balls were buried in the long side pocket for rain-gear and such. Of course he kept all the new and playable high-dollar balls. He knows there will come a payback even if it takes 15 years - there will come that day when I slip him the practical joke of all time and he will know exactly where it came from and why.

Any devious ideas from the gallery???

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1446948830' post='12567954']
It's like an empty trailer in here. And I'm getting repeated partial page
loads. I think it's time for someone who hasn't yet started a "Confessions"
thread to start one. No pressure.

I think anyone who thought Bo Derek was a 10 should start #10.....
.................... :partytime2:
[/quote]

It is done. Head over there wheneva...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1256454-the-tenth-thread-of-confessions/

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1446948150' post='12567900']
WRX question of the minute. Did Tommy Armour III ever play
Tommy Armour irons???
[/quote]Back in the 80s when I saw him in Vegas at the big shootout he was playing a set of 845s. TA III now that guy is a hoot and a half great guy fun to be around.

Personally, the things that jumps out at me about Ping, are that they make a well-designed product that they stand behind and they were the first to really push lie angle as an important part of "stock" club fitting. They began the fitting revolution with offering their clubs in .75 degree incremental lies bent from the factory. Obviously Karsten Solheim was a revolutionary designer of putters considering his designs are the most often copied including the dalehead that is the most copied putter design of all time. Ping players tend to draw some criticism as they are often the most brand loyal and have traditionally been quite proud of their equipment, with merit IMO. We could go into the entire history of their iron designs, but I think the lineage of the Eye 2 and the market's response to perimeter weighting and cavity backed irons speaks for itself.

Enjoyed the hell out him

Class Class Gent!!

Richard
[/quote]

the time, lol.

[/quote]HaHa, yea Bro, he's funny as hell, and we both had some laughs-

His Teacher was LB Floyd, Ray's Father, so we swapped some stories about LB & Pete, who were definitely both outa the "old school," lol.

Plus, since I lost my running mate and former BB Partner, who followed a girl to NY(Though initially sad, I'm glad cuz she became his beacon and he turned his life around. Besides we see each other every Thanksgiving and we put more into 3-4 days than most do in a year, so I'm good, lmao), and he's 6'5", 230(he's not soft, haha) and well, I'll just say that Mitch is about the same, and he too is not "soft," lol. I like em big, well, bigger than me, LMAO

He's just a Great Dude and has picked me up more times than I can remember and he's getting back stateside soon to the Carolinas and when I'm able to travel I'm heading there first to see He, STU, DuffsWaggle(he's a little south but said he'd come up), BruinsPatsIrish and STU knows this Guy from the other board as STU and he were my closest Friends there and that's JMiller2(Jeremy) who's a member and posts a little here too.

If any of ya live a reasonable distance, please, the more the merrier :)

I'm not gonna go so far as to say it's gonna be Iconic, though it has the ingredients, making and potential to be Epic, hahaha :)

Anyhoo, it was a great way to pass the wee hours, lol

So yea, he's got a great sense of humor :)

Have a great week Bro :)

My Best,
Richard

Following up on what Richard posted, definitely enjoyed speaking with him, of course being on Hawaii time, wasn't as late into morning for me :) Richard is indeed how he comes across on the boards and definitely entertaining to swap a few stories without filter this place provides. Personally, have a lot of acquaintances and a very select core group of friends, based upon interaction with Richard so far, consider him a welcome addition to core group.

About the get-together, might be a height/weight requirement to get in, can you picture size of that cut-out like they have for roller coasters?
If not that, maybe Richard could create an "assertiveness" screening, although screening name could probably be shortened a few letters, if needed!

Aloha for now,
Mitch

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu