2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

So....I kinda want a 7 wood.

sbeduckman

I can see the appeal of the 7 wood... My 5 wood has become my favorite club..... its really long full length , full swing.. But I hit it into a green last week ...was laying 225 out...1 club uphill... I debated on 3 iron or 5 wood...decided it would take a nutted iron to stay up on the green (slopes down severely off the front) so I decided to choke down 3 inches on the 5 wood and hit a cut (right pin)... hit an effortless little high fade than landed and stuck 10 feet above the hole.... felt so good I dropped another ball and it another ...this time pin high 10 feet left.... really repeatable on distance and flight...and seems to be easy to vary distance 10-30 yards by choking up or down and varying swing length...much like a wedge...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a 7 wd is fine, especially if you need to go over trees when you're lying in the next fairway. Seriously, if you get a heavier, lower launching shaft, 65-85g, depending on your swing, and get it to 41-41.5 inches, it can offer control and accuracy and a chance to keep it lower.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1447968380' post='12621030']
I can see the appeal of the 7 wood... My 5 wood has become my favorite club..... its really long full length , full swing.. But I hit it into a green last week ...was laying 225 out...1 club uphill... I debated on 3 iron or 5 wood...decided it would take a nutted iron to stay up on the green (slopes down severely off the front) so I decided to choke down 3 inches on the 5 wood and hit a cut (right pin)... hit an effortless little high fade than landed and stuck 10 feet above the hole.... felt so good I dropped another ball and it another ...this time pin high 10 feet left.... really repeatable on distance and flight...and seems to be easy to vary distance 10-30 yards by choking up or down and varying swing length...much like a wedge...
[/quote]

Just +1,000,000 there. Very very well said. Fairway woods in the 17-21 or so degree range are just wonderfully versatile--you can hit absolutely any shot with them, and hit them with feel. And the more feel you use, the better they respond. They are indeed very much like wedges; that's just a great, great way to put it. Seriously, very well said. Cheers!

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1447975210' post='12621448']
[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1447968380' post='12621030']
[/quote]

Just +1,000,000 there. Very very well said. Fairway woods in the 17-21 or so degree range are just wonderfully versatile--you can hit absolutely any shot with them, and hit them with feel. And the more feel you use, the better they respond. They are indeed very much like wedges; that's just a great, great way to put it. Seriously, very well said. Cheers!
[/quote]

thanks! a broken clock is correct twice a day.... lol...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Now my favorite club. PING G30 7 wood with tour 80 shaft. Can hit it from 175-210 yards. Can't hit a hybrid since the a12 pro.

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Tensei 1K Black 75S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

PING G430 #5 Hybrid HZRDUS RDX Red 6.0 

Artisan FC 5-7 Axiom 105S

Artisan HC 8-PW Axiom 105S

Artisan 50S and 54S Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM8 raw 58-12D Dynamic Gold S200

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

I just picked up a Cobra Bio Cell 5-7 wood on eBay for cheap. Looking to replace the 3 wood with a 5 wood and won a auction for a price that i didn't think i would win. Really looking forward to trying the club out and being able to adjust the loft to fit what I am looking for. 3 wood off the deck has been nearly impossible for me to hit, so hopefully the added loft will help.

I have actually debated getting a 7 wood before. Distance wise, I definitely do not NEED it, but my 5 wood is very possibly my favorite and most reliable club in the bag. Not that me liking a 5 wood means a 7 would be anything special, but I do wonder if adding one would somehow make a more automatic long distance club for me.

I've been using a 7 wood for a few years now (ping g10) that i got used. Its actually become my favorite wood (used to be 5 -wood). Slower swing speed so its max 175 and min about 150. Hit it with sweeping motion like rest of woods rather than downward like iron. Depending upon ball position, I can hit it moderately high or very low stinging shot. Use either depending upon circumstances. Actually now strongly thinking of 9 wood. Have ping 4 wood also but it doesn't react well for me at all. 5 wood works much much better, so have gone back to 3,5,7 rather than 4-7 combo. Hit these much better than 4 wood. Hybrids are big issue for me. Almost bought new Titleist 816 but distance was big issue. Couldn't get 23 or 25 over basically 145 (148 when absolutely killed it). Need it to go 160 at l 155-east to keep gaps proper. So still keeping 5 iron currently.

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1448004790' post='12622952']
Your answer is grab a V-steel. The best 7 wood of all time.
[/quote]

Yep. V-Steel 7W here with a TT DG S300 shaft at 39.5". Money.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

My only suggestion is to try and hit a few. I got a 7 wood to gap (4 iron replacement) and it didn't gap properly for me at all. It flew very high so make sure you have the right shaft so it doesn't balloon...I hit mine much higher than a 3 & 4 iron and lost a lot more yardage than I anticipated. I expected it to go about 220 for me and it went about 200

If you like loft, TaylorMade's original Pittsburgh Persimmon 7-wood had 27.5º of it.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I love the 7-wood. Probably my favorite club in the bag. Been playing an X-Hot for awhile now and don't see myself taking it out of play.

Only problem with most 7-woods is that the social stigma has translated to lack of manufacturer options. Most of them come with a really weak flex in them, so you have to go custom.

I found a used Adams fast 12 3 wood and 7 with in the bargain bin of a local golf shop. The shop allowed me to take them out and test them on the course. I was really interested in the 3 wood and grabbed the 7 just for fun. After hitting both I was impressed with the 7 more than the 3. I purchased the 7 wood and was amazed how straight I could hit this draw model with a senior shaft. I have stiff shafted drivers and prefer x stiff in my irons. Not sure how or why this thing goes as nice as it does. After using the 7 last yr I took it out of the bag to test some newer purchases. Late this fall I tried the Adams 7 again and yup dead straight and easy. Hopefully you find a 7 to fit your needs. Jim.

[quote name='Stonewalled' timestamp='1448046834' post='12624876']
I found a used Adams fast 12 3 wood and 7 with in the bargain bin of a local golf shop. The shop allowed me to take them out and test them on the course. I was really interested in the 3 wood and grabbed the 7 just for fun. After hitting both I was impressed with the 7 more than the 3. I purchased the 7 wood and was amazed how straight I could hit this draw model with a senior shaft. I have stiff shafted drivers and prefer x stiff in my irons. Not sure how or why this thing goes as nice as it does. After using the 7 last yr I took it out of the bag to test some newer purchases. Late this fall I tried the Adams 7 again and yup dead straight and easy. Hopefully you find a 7 to fit your needs. Jim.
[/quote]

Not quite senior, but I've found that my woods and hybrids seem to respond better to a stiff, where the irons are most def xstiff. It's just further proof that things are different for everyone.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1448047155' post='12624894']
[quote name='Stonewalled' timestamp='1448046834' post='12624876']
[/quote]

Not quite senior, but I've found that my woods and hybrids seem to respond better to a stiff, where the irons are most def xstiff. It's just further proof that things are different for everyone.
[/quote]Yes very true. I was lucky that I didn't look at the shaft before I hit it, if I had i would have left it on the shelf at the store. I have a titliest 910 3 wood with an x shaft and it goes well. The shaft in the adams says senior but it feels more like a strong reg flex. It works. Thx

If its good enough for 2 time Masters winner Bubba Watson.....

Driver:  TaylorMade Sim 2 10.5 w/ Diamana Blueboard 60X

3 Wood: Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour Shaft

5 Wood: Ping G425 Max 17.5 Ping Tour Shaft

Irons: Miura MB-001 4-PW Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: Miura 50*  Tour Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Onyx S400

Miura 54* Tour Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Onyx S400

Miura 58* Tour Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Onyx S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Black Newport 

Hey fella Im with you on this one. I've been strictly a 2-iron guy for 5 years or so now. Did not get along with hybrids when they became the club to play.

Personally I'm going back to my roots and getting a 5-wood in play next season and super excited about it. I use to play one all through junior days and it was a go to club. As SS increased and stock shafts couldn't keep up, I just got away from it. With the shaft offerings now and adjustability you can make a 5 wood or 7 wood in your case, do pretty much exactly what you want.

I've always felt more comfortable hitting baby draws and baby fades with 5 wood rather than hybrid where I either can't work it at all or it's dramatic flights in both ways.

Vijay won a major with a 7W. Do you man! I'm excited to attack these par 5's this year with a new weapon.

If you've got a 1970s 5-wood, then loft-wise, you've got a third millennium 7-wood.
In fact, some of todays fairway woods sharing the loft of my 23º 5-wood have the number "9" stamped on them.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Add the 7w but what will you use out of thick rough? That's why I have a 2h, 3h and 7w setup. No 3w or 5w any more.

7w is most versatile club if you are not playing at a course with punishing rough.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

[quote name='Poppinowf' timestamp='1448034053' post='12623954']
Went out on a limb and purchased a TI sldr 5WHL 21*...fav club in the bag, used to bag a 3i. Gets up very quick.
[/quote]

I have hit hybrids better than fairway woods for the longest, so I feel odd saying this, but I like my SLDR 3HL so much, I'm considering the 5HL as well.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

[quote name='longleft' timestamp='1448131887' post='12628390']The Tour Edge Exotics CB2 7w is the best one out there. Deep face, small head, and none of the BS adjustability/marketing crap...just a glued head for someone who wants to hit 230+ yard shots that hold a green. The right shaft (of course) will make a huge difference. [/quote]

And maybe bending it to 17*

Just added a callaway legacy black 7 wood, wanted a fairway finder off the tee with no run out.
Work fine under certain conditions but is very limited in suitability in windy conditions.

Titleist TSI4
Sim2 Ti
2-4 Mizuno MP20 HMB
5-7 Mizuno MP20 MMC
8-PW Mizuno MP20
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 52 & 58
Bettinardi BB1