• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like 7 wood more than hybrid.
I think it might be the longer shaft.
My swing seems to work better with 41-42 inch shaft
When I try a hybrid and hinge the club like a iron , in an effort to shallow the path so I dont take a big divot like my irons I tend to hook the ball. This happen under the gun with hybrid but not with the 7 wood

[quote name='dlam' timestamp='1448904458' post='12663196']
When I try a hybrid and hinge the club like a iron , in an effort to shallow the path so I dont take a big divot like my irons I tend to hook the ball. This happen under the gun with hybrid but not with the 7 wood
[/quote]

Me too. I have much better results with the 7WD vs Hybrid.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I lean towards a 7 wood at times but current have a Nike covert 2.0 tour 3 hybrid set at 20 degrees. I feel like I get great height out of it and esp love the taller face since I miss high. Also like the how heavy the head feels. Anyways anyone have any comments on smaller 5-7 wood 19-21 degrees with small head and deep face? I might take a gander at those.

[quote name='nilopol' timestamp='1448912027' post='12663676']
I lean towards a 7 wood at times but current have a Nike covert 2.0 tour 3 hybrid set at 20 degrees. I feel like I get great height out of it and esp love the taller face since I miss high. Also like the how heavy the head feels. Anyways anyone have any comments on smaller 5-7 wood 19-21 degrees with small head and deep face? I might take a gander at those.
[/quote] Check out the Cobra bio cell+ 5/7= Fantastic

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

[quote name='dlam' timestamp='1448904458' post='12663196']
[/quote]

It could be the longer shaft gives you a touch more swing speed and helps you elevate the ball. Or perhaps your swing prefers the bit flatter plane.

Either way, play what works!

Got the 910 7 wood as well. I built it with a rip phenom 80g shaft. Can shape this club any you want to the 190 -195 marker. Just don't ask to use it in thick rough. Got to have a hybrid in the bag for that.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I too hit my fairway woods much better than hybrids. Have a V Series Heavenwood in stiff flex on the way. Plan on giving it a go. Concerned w/ softer Baser shaft, but like the idea of a high launching, soft landing fairway that I can get to hold on a green. If it works I will probably swap it in & out w/ the 20* hybrid, depending on course & conditions. I'll let you know the next time it's sunny & above 40*.

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

• 3 months later...

Made my first every hole in one today with my 7 wood! 195yds into the wind. Nice high draw with a little hook roll right into the hole! Love it!

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

I currently game a 7 wood (I'm a +1 index) and have just moved from the GBB 21* to the "newer" Ping G 20.5. The keys for me were a) finding a head that looked good, and b) to get a heavier shaft (80g or so) to help control the ball flight. This has become my "go-to" club for any shot from 195 to 210y especially when I can't afford to leave it short (i.e. long carry over water on a par 4 or par 5.) Now that I have the right shaft in it I no longer have any issues using it in the wind too. The Ping G is really great!

This has been a real game changer and largely the reason for me being competitive again off the tips on longer courses where I regularly have 200y'ish into Par 4s. I just found that I was not confident enough hitting a 3 iron when coming up short was almost certain bogey or worse.

Given my success, a few of the middle-to-older-aged low handicappers at our club are doing the same!

I play a Bio Cell + 7 wood and love it. I have never been able to hit hybrids well, and hitting a 4 iron consistently has always been tough for me also. The 7 wood launches so easily for me. It is a perfect 210-215 club for me

I'll second all of this. Replaced my 3i with a 20* FW a few years back and never had a second thought. 53 and 107 SS, it gives me a steady 210 and sits really well. I have an Amp Cell and a Fly-z (little lower launching). Absolutely love em.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Put a Cleveland Black 7 Wood in my bag after I found it at PGA Superstore used after I had a particularly rough round. Changed my game entirely. I can hit if confidently down the fairway from far off. Try some out and find one that works. I can't hit hybrids and was very iffy with my really long irons so it has been a game changer for me! I have now gotten the 3W and 5W from the same series because of how easy they are to hit consistently.

When my game is shaky I put the 7 wood in and pull the 3 hybrid.... For me a 7 wood needs to be 22 deg of loft and 41" in length, mine is a 2004 BB, new ones are too long.... My Cobra Biocell goes from 17-20 deg but at 43" long its really a high launch 5 than a 7 wood, and it leaves a gap between that and my 4 iron...

I've been playing a 7 wood for a while now. Every year or so I try out some hybrids, but I haven't found anything to get me to take the 7 out of my bag. It might be the longer shaft, like others have mentioned, but I just feel so much more comfortable with a 7 wood; and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I also think the 7 wood compliments my 4 wood very well.

I have been playing multiple woods for years ... my current set up is

Ping SF TEC 3 wood digital lofted to 17 - 220 Yards

Ping SF TEC 5 wood digital lofted to 20 - 200 Yards

Callaway X Hot 9 wood 23 - 190 Yards

Calloway X Hot 11 wood 25 - 180 Yards

I have never been able to hit my 4 or 5 irons high enough and can't hit hybrids so I go from 6 iron to the 11 wood.

They fly much higher than irons or hybrids for me.

Check out Fried eggs golf on You Tube. They just did a review of a 7 wood vs. 3 hybrid. Very eye opening! ;)

That guy's findings equal mine except for me I find the 7W more consistent. Good video. Thanks.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I replaced my 3 iron with a 7 wood recently. It goes a bit further than the 3 but the 3 iron was about at my limit. I had put in a different shaft in the 3 to have the same trajectory as the 4 iron. I also had a 5 wood, but stopped using it after the 7 went in the bag. Now it's 4 iron, 7wood 4wood for me. I got the 913 7wood and like the adjustment to tune the face alignment.

I have been playing a 7 wood since high school. I like the Titleist 915, has a great look at address and has enough adjustability to help with spin, distance, and trajectory. Make sure you get fitted for the proper shaft if you can. Makes a huge difference even more than the clubhead you decide on.

WITB:

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Driver Tour AD DI 6X  44 3/4" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR3 16.5 Degree 4 Wood Tour AD DI 7X 43" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR2 21 Degree 7 Wood Tour AD DI 7X 42" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR1 24 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 39" B-1 Setting, Titleist TSR1 27 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 38 1/2" B-1 Setting, Titleist TSR1 30 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 38" B-1 Setting, Titleist T200 7-PW, AW Irons True Temper AMT White S300 Standard Length 2 Degrees Flat, Vokey SM8 Brushed Steel 53-07, 57-07 Dynamic Gold S400 Standard Length 2 Degrees Flat, Yes! Two Mallet by Jerry Korte Putter 33" Winn Pro X 1.60 Putter Grip, Pro V1X #44, Titleist Player 4 Stand Bag, Lamkin Crossline Midsize Grips

Two years ago, I would've smacked myself for typing that. Two years ago, I took out the 2 iron and put in a 5 wood; it's now my most reliable club. Go to club off the tee on short/tight par fours and just great off the deck. Next club down is a 4 iron and the gap there is a bit too large IMO.

I don't like hybrids, and through all my trying, can't get along with one. I'm considering a seven wood to replace the four iron, at least on some courses. Figure it'll go a little further than a 4 iron and spread that gap between three clubs instead of two. 5 wood is about 220-230 typically but can hit it further than that; four iron is 210 stepped on.

Who here has tinkered with a seven wood? What was your experience like?

Any recommendations for a guy who likes deep face fairway woods? My beloved 5 wood is a Cleveland Mashie (carry the strong 3 as well). I like the compact head/deep face of the Mashie series, but haven't been able to locate a matching 7 wood. I don't hit the ball particularly high, but am definitely a high spin guy. Pretty sharp angle of attack, hence why I probably get on well with deeper faced clubs. 110mph or so with a driver, 1-3 hcp or somewhere thereabouts.

If you haven't gotten one yet, I would definitely try out the Nike Vapor Fly. I just bought the 3 and 5 wood, but tinkered around with the 7 a little. The 7 wood was SO easy to get up in the air and carry. It's easier than hitting a wedge, and off the face, it just goes. The face is pretty deep and creates some great ball speed.

Some cold water... How high is too high for your ball? My 5-wood goes up, and my main concern with a 7-wood entering low earth orbit would be how uncontrollable it would be, especially up above the tree line.

Thoughts?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I picked up a jdm Mizuno T zoid 7 wood last week for $5 in the local bargain bin. It's a little rough but I was intrigued by the head and the Nippon steel shaft. My first range session was promising. I doubt I keep this 7 wood but if it passes as a proof of concept, I'll keep my eyes open for a newer 7 wood to replace my Ap1 4 iron.

I have a Heavenood (2014 V-Series). It's my most confident club. I struggle with hybrids (slice) but the Heavenwood gives me 205-215 straight as an arrow, and the trajectory is high enough to hold greens if I use it to attack.

It isn't right for my swing (wrong shafts flex) but it won't go anywhere. The only thing that could unseat it would be GBB Heavenwood (only if I can hit it as well, unlikely).