2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

seams to be some whinners on this site

I am not a whiner, but I do play tees appropriate to my ability. For example, how often do you see professionals hitting hybrids and fairway woods into par 4's? In my opinion a par 4 is meant to be approached with an iron in hand.

That's not a challenge, to me that's stupidity, but that is just my take on it. What's the point of purchasing a set of irons if most of the par 4's require driver, wood/hybrid, wedge to reach? Or, hitting woods/hybrids into par 3's?

Some people may find that enjoyable, though I haven't encountered many that do.

So I guess I must be stupid and not enjoy the game because I like to play longer tees even in the cold and muck here during the winters.

This past Thursday....I play a yellow(furthest back)/blue combo tees....it rained on the back 9.

I hit 3H and a 3W into 2 of 4 par 3's.

I hit 3W into two par 4's.

I shot a 81...unfortunately I had 5 straight bogey's to finish the round....ugh.

On Friday...I play the blue tees.

I hit three 3H into 3 of 4 par 4's

I hit 3W into four par 4's and one 3H into a par 4.

I shot 79.

The lousy wet and cold winter conditions...prevents the ball from travelling far this time of year....I'm turning 55 next week and if any one played golf with me...I doubt any one would say I'm a short hitter.....but I'm also not 330 yds WRX long....lol.

So if I can shoot 81 and 79 (and no these were far from being stellar rds for me) should I be moving up a tee block to enjoy the game more and I'm stupid because I have to use a hybrid or FW to reach a green in regulation?

I guess LPGA pros like Lydia Ko, Mo Martin, Ai Miyazato.....must find it too challenging to play o the LPGA tour cause they often will have a hybrid as an approach shot into a par 3 or par 4....looks like the Symetra tour for them. :taunt:

I didn't call anyone stupid. I said "to me that's stupidity", and, that it was just my take on it. I also said some people may find that enjoyable.

As I have said repeatedly, I couldn't care less how people play the game, what clothes they wear, whether or not they have a staff bag, use iron head covers, what type of clubs they play, and the like. I like hitting irons into par 4's. That's how I enjoy playing golf, it's the reason I purchased a set of irons. If you like hitting woods/hybrids into par 4's, so what?

ps: Since we are sharing scores: I played my last round before the snow flew in temperatures in the low 40's (wind chills in the 30's), from the white tees, which were temporary so they were up, and a few holes from the forward tees. I shot a 65.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eye agree wit dis guy. Dont no why u guys are such loosers. U dont like long holes den just quit and stop winning. U all sound like babbies. For once someone post da truth and all da haters jump on him...he not the troll you guyz the trollz

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Two pages and the OP has yet to add anything. Trolling at its best.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Here's a scarier thought . . .

What if Mistty isn't a troll at all?

I want to believe that this drivel is a farce but there are some wacky folks out there.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Here's a scarier thought . . .

What if Mistty isn't a troll at all?

I want to believe that this drivel is a farce but there are some wacky folks out there.

Very true. But this thread was started twice, and she started another one titled distance of your clubs with the first post reading "Just wondering as to how far you all hit most of your clubs. I am new here and would like to know how i stack up against you.".

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

BTW i do not use a driver but a 13 degree fairway wood which i am always in the center of the fway and 250 out, so if you cant beat me you and if you are younger and bigger then you should be ashamed

I'm taking this statement to mean that she hits her 13* fairway wood 250 feet, not yards... Only way I can wrap my head around this one.

Otherwise she's telling us she hits her 3w about the same distance as Lydia Ko hits her driver and is more consistent to boot.

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

I am not a whiner, but I do play tees appropriate to my ability. For example, how often do you see professionals hitting hybrids and fairway woods into par 4's? In my opinion a par 4 is meant to be approached with an iron in hand.

Gold Digest had a formula a year or so ago as to what yardage people may want to play: one's 5-iron carry distance multiplied by 36. The average golfer hits his drive approximately 205 yards, extrapolating from that let's say he carry's his 5-iron 155. 36 x 155 = 5580.

When you do see a professional hit a fairway wood into a green more often than not he does not hit that green. So, not much chance of an amateur doing so at all, not to mention the fact that he will probably have to hit a wedge for his third shot into that 480 yard par 4.

That's not a challenge, to me that's stupidity, but that is just my take on it. What's the point of purchasing a set of irons if most of the par 4's require driver, wood/hybrid, wedge to reach? Or, hitting woods/hybrids into par 3's?

Some people may find that enjoyable, though I haven't encountered many that do.

If a golfer wants to emulate the professional, it's not the yardage he should be playing, but more the club he should be playing, therefore irons into greens on par 4's and irons off the tee on par 3's.

I started playing at fifty (60 now), and to me golf should be first and foremost enjoyable. Secondly, it should be about scoring. The scorecard doesn't care what equipment you play, or what tees you play from.

If a golfer who is 230 off the tee wants to play from 7200 that's fine, but you won't find me back there. Not only do I not see the point, but 1) I have nothing to prove, and 2) I am secure enough in my masculinity that I don't give a sh!t what you or anyone else thinks.

After recovering from a heart attack the cardiologist wanted me to start slow (no driver, wood, or hybids), so I played the forward tees with my irons. I got some funny looks from people, but I couldn't care less. I was alive and I was playing golf.

I play a lot of golf and see how much ego drives this game. And, I also observe how much ego can affect one's score and attitude. I leave my ego at home when I play golf. I find I enjoy it a lot more.

So if the ego golfers want to play from the backs, and continue to shoot in the 90s, or higher, that's fine by me. It's their game, their money. I couldn't care less what they do.

However, I'll play those tees commensurate with my abilities, shoot in the 70s more and more often, with the occasional high 80s thrown in to keep me honest, have a lot more fun, and use my irons regularly too.

By the way, welcome to GolfWRX. :-)

Mostly complete sense.

Only issue here i see is some of the WRX'ers who say they hit their 5 irons 225 yards (I'm not claiming this isnt true, but i've seen one such post today ).

But as per the x 36 rule - i don't see too many 8'250 yard long courses around to challenge them.

And even at 215 yards [Which many here list as their stock 5 iron yardage] they supposedly need to be playing a track @ 7740 yards ?

I think using this formula - we're gonna struggle at the top end of the yardage spectrum.

I think the 5 iron distance formula is best thought of as a maximum comfortable yardage to play. So a 200 yard 5 iron (easy math) means that player would be comfortable playing a course up to 7200 yards. A little more may be okay but much more and it'll be a struggle. Playing shorter allows the benefit of hitting it "far" relative to the course length.

That being said, I played a 6700 yard course over the weekend in cold/soft conditions and it really played too long for me, even though when it's warmer it's relatively short. So like someone else said, it's more a suggested starting point than a rule and adjustments should be made considering all the variables.

And someone who hits a 225 yard 5 iron is just going to have the benefit of being long no matter the course.

Her name is Mistty with 2 Ts and she spells whiner with 2 Ns ... I'm guessing she's tried to get back on and can't spell her password.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Her name is Mistty with 2 Ts and she spells whiner with 2 Ns ... I'm guessing she's tried to get back on and can't spell her password.

Ohh booy!

This is epic!

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

Well I'm a young 92 and I hit baby cut fade persimmon 4 woods approx. 290 carry. Keep working on it Mistty .. oh and say hi to Crystal, Amber & Jade for me

PS I'm working on my scotch capacitator and my core strength to get up to 3 hundo by the time I hit the century mark

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

Well I'm a young 92 and I hit baby cut fade persimmon 4 woods approx. 290 carry. Keep working on it Mistty .. oh and say hi to Crystal, Amber & Jade for me

PS I'm working on my scotch capacitator and my core strength to get up to 3 hundo by the time I hit the century mark

Uncle Cardie when did you start hitting the Wilson Blue Ridge 4W under 3 spins? That old age is REALLY kicking in Sir.

Tatertot wins! Many good posts, but this is the best one.

Read the distance quote as being 250 out on a 480 yard hole so tee shot is 230. But since she can't sign back in we will never know.

Uncle Cardie when did you start hitting the Wilson Blue Ridge 4W under 3 spins? That old age is REALLY kicking in Sir.

Pelzy

It's because my Blue Ridge persimmon broke and then the whipping unravelled like a Tasmanian Devil .... and I've had to go back to my old maple laminated Johnny Miller 2000's. I think the loft is weaker as well. The new stuff is so strong, soon they'll have 17* 5 woods !!!

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

I am new here and was looking at a number of the old threads. Aparently a number of you feel that LONG golf holes ruine the game. That a 250 yard par 3 should not be allowed. That a 480 yard par 4 is for pro,s only. If you are that insecure of playing from the back tee,s then dont.but I would be ashamed not to try them myself. As a 5 foot 140 pound 60 year old female i have a feeling i would not be willing to play in the same group as a number of you due to your aparent inability to take this game for the CHALLANGE that it is suposed to be. BTW i do not use a driver but a 13 degree fairway wood which i am always in the center of the fway and 250 out, so if you cant beat me you and if you are younger and bigger then you should be ashamed

I want to marry you!!

I am new here and was looking at a number of the old threads. Aparently a number of you feel that LONG golf holes ruine the game. That a 250 yard par 3 should not be allowed. That a 480 yard par 4 is for pro,s only. If you are that insecure of playing from the back tee,s then dont.but I would be ashamed not to try them myself. As a 5 foot 140 pound 60 year old female i have a feeling i would not be willing to play in the same group as a number of you due to your aparent inability to take this game for the CHALLANGE that it is suposed to be. BTW i do not use a driver but a 13 degree fairway wood which i am always in the center of the fway and 250 out, so if you cant beat me you and if you are younger and bigger then you should be ashamed

I want to marry you!!

Not sure i'd go that far.

Few lessons would be nice though............. :lol:

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Careful. You'll break a hip.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I want to marry you!!

Not sure i'd go that far.

Few lessons would be nice though............. :lol:

:cheesy: :cheesy:

This thread is NOTHING without PICS!!!!

Please, i beg you!!