2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

GW offered up a nearly new condition 3-PW set of 1977 Walter Hagen Ultra irons. Chrome ferrules remind me of Crager Mags on 67 GTO. Also picked a set of 1963 Hogan IPT 2-9 missing the 6 iron. And a Mac Nicklaus Muirfield Lite 1 iron hopped into the shopping cart too. If anyone needs this 1 iron to complete a set PM me, like to pass it on. Heading back there this week to see if the set the 6 iron and PW in the bin.
Those Haigs are beautiful. Nice find.

A couple of cool finds today. Ben Hogan Apex Putter, Ping Zing 5 Putter, Louisville Grand Slam 2 Way Putter, and a Heavenhood. I’ve always wanted to try one of these Heavenhoods so we will see how I do with it. I also found a white hot putter cover which goes with one of my putters which is cool. I dropped some irons off to the Ping Factory today to have the lie angle changed. I can’t wait to get them back. They said they’d be done tomorrow morning!! They didn’t even charge me and gave me a putter cover for an old Anser I have. They know how to do it at Ping. What a day!

A couple of cool finds today. Ben Hogan Apex Putter, Ping Zing 5 Putter, Louisville Grand Slam 2 Way Putter, and a Heavenhood. I’ve always wanted to try one of these Heavenhoods so we will see how I do with it. I also found a white hot putter cover which goes with one of my putters which is cool. I dropped some irons off to the Ping Factory today to have the lie angle changed. I can’t wait to get them back. They said they’d be done tomorrow morning!! They didn’t even charge me and gave me a putter cover for an old Anser I have. They know how to do it at Ping. What a day!

I'll say!! Wow! Very nice indeed!

I've got that same Hogan Apex putter that I picked up this past winter as a project and I tried to restore it as best I could. I'll post a before and after pic.

But If you want a really cool back story to that putter, check out yesterday's story about Kenny Giannini on the home page. We may have the very first putters that were ever milled, if Kenny is correct.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I've got that same Hogan Apex putter that I picked up this past winter as a project and I tried to restore it as best I could. I'll post a before and after pic.

But If you want a really cool back story to that putter, check out yesterday's story about Kenny Giannini on the home page. We may have the very first putters that were ever milled, if Kenny is correct.

Wow! You’ve done a great job with that restoration. Thank you for sharing that it was a great read.

I have a Heavenwood just like yours. It plays to a light swing weight I find and the head is no bigger than a current generation 3 hybrid. The damn thing will go though if you can catch it just so. It's a bit of a hit and miss club for me.

My Zing is an original flow neck model in manganese bronze. I've not run across one like yours. They are one sweet feeling putter though. I've made a lot of putts with mine!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

One thing I don't understand about our local thrift store, They would split up a perfectly good set of classic golf clubs to sell it off piece by piece.

They used to bundle the set and marked it with one price. Now they marked each golf club with individual price and they don't even make it to the store shelf at the same time, which I have no clue why.

I got a partial set of Ben Hogan 1988 Redline 4,5,6,7,8 a few weeks ago. Went back yesterday and saw the 3 iron sitting there with the same serial number on the ferrule. Plus an IPT Equalizer with the same worn out grip but a TTDG S300 shaft ( old style of Winn flaking off material from the wrap ). Hopefully the 9 iron and the original E wedge will show up sometime.

They could have demanded more price if they kept it together. Not very smart but from the kind of employees they use, I can't have the same expectation as if I were in Nordstrom.

One thing I don't understand about our local thrift store, They would split up a perfectly good set of classic golf clubs to sell it off piece by piece.

They used to bundle the set and marked it with one price. Now they marked each golf club with individual price and they don't even make it to the store shelf at the same time, which I have no clue why.

I got a partial set of Ben Hogan 1988 Redline 4,5,6,7,8 a few weeks ago. Went back yesterday and saw the 3 iron sitting there with the same serial number on the ferrule. Plus an IPT Equalizer with the same worn out grip but a TTDG S300 shaft ( old style of Winn flaking off material from the wrap ). Hopefully the 9 iron and the original E wedge will show up sometime.

They could have demanded more price if they kept it together. Not very smart but from the kind of employees they use, I can't have the same expectation as if I were in Nordstrom.

Cool you found the missing one though... They just dump them all in a big trash can at most of the stores I hit. You have to search through it to find the whole set, if its in there at all.

I'll go you one better.

One of the stores I frequent will take a set and break it up by taking a couple of clubs from the set and bundle them with a handful of junk. You have to buy four or five bundles to get the set you want.

I don't blame the employees for this. Those folks are just following orders from whatever passes as their manager. The owner buys stuff by the ton from charitable organizations that collect donations but don't have a store to sell what they get. It's the only way to get a little something for some of the junk that winds up in those bundles. They'd never sell it otherwise.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

I'll go you one better.

One of the stores I frequent will take a set and break it up by taking a couple of clubs from the set and bundle them with a handful of junk. You have to buy four or five bundles to get the set you want.

I don't blame the employees for this. Those folks are just following orders from whatever passes as their manager. The owner buys stuff by the ton from charitable organizations that collect donations but don't have a store to sell what they get. It's the only way to get a little something for some of the junk that winds up in those bundles. They'd never sell it otherwise.

I won't do business with these type of sellers. Sneaky like robbing a police station.

I do buy junks sometimes for the shaft or grip .......... to finish other project.

Obviously, they were not taught if they kept the set together, instead of getting $1.99 per club, they could easily at least double the asking price.

Cool you found the missing one though... They just dump them all in a big trash can at most of the stores I hit. You have to search through it to find the whole set, if its in there at all.

Yes, unfortunately, if I don't see the 9 and the E in the next few days, there probably be no chance getting the complete original set with matching serial numbers , ever.

I've been sick like a dog in the last few days, this annoying clod been bothering me. Having difficulty even swallowing water from the sore throat ( now migrating to the base of my ears and basically the eyes also since they're all linked ). Not able to cough out stuff since the sore throat with thick saliva / mucus without vigorous coughing.

Getting better since I napped most of the day missed my lunch but no big deal since I forgot to cough when I was out.

I'll get to the set sometime this week to clean it up and regrip them for hopefully an 18 next week.

I'll go you one better.

I won't do business with these type of sellers. Sneaky like robbing a police station.

I do buy junks sometimes for the shaft or grip .......... to finish other project.

Obviously, they were not taught if they kept the set together, instead of getting $1.99 per club, they could easily at least double the asking price.

Selling a set piece by piece is what I would consider normal behavior for most thrifts. Honestly it's pretty rare for me to see a set bundled at Goodwill. We'll never know if the set that's missing its 7 iron came in that way, or if someone cherry picked it.

Which is something I cannot do. If a full set is there and has an individual iron I need, I'll either buy the full set or leave them behind. I just can't bring myself to break up a set. Not judging anyone who does. It's just something I can't do.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Two weeks ago I was at a nearby Goodwill and found a set of Mizuno irons. I picked through the mess to find all of them and set them aside. Then I told the manager that he should really bundle a set like that, even go on Google and look them up if necessary, & that he could probably get more than $3 per club. Probably at least twice as much as a set. If the shafts weren't so stiff, I would have bought them. Anyway, his response was that he could not bundle them once they were put out, and that he had no idea what golf clubs were worth. So....I expect to see more individual clubs like this for sale and to continue to have to pick through the pile.

At a different thrift, they separate all of the clubs by number. All of the 3 irons are in a bin, then the 4 iron bin, and so on.

Lastly, still another thrift has a club that you could buy at K-mapart for $19.99 back in the 1990's tagged with a retail value of $100 and asking $40. So you never know what sort of lunacy you will find...

Yes, I tried to school a few guys at the Thrift Store I frequent ( to wait out my family while they were at the shopping Mall ), to no avail.

Their response was, they don't have the time to sort them out by the set. Most the guys /gals worked in the back room were getting paid less than the minimum wage and some have handicap condition. They say it's more efficient for them to just pile the goods out instead trying to categorize the items.

Like I was searching for a few CD in the Classical Music category, by YoYo MA, the cellist. Heard his piece on a PBS station and wanted to get a little more......good luck, I don't have time to go through the maze of 10's of thousands of CD. I asked the gal in charge of the section why couldn't they separate the CD in their category ? So I might have to go through just one thousand of them instead of 10's of thousandths. The answer was, her boss don't want them to waste time doing more work, such goes for their job training......a slap in the face of their motto of giving the unskilled a good training before they move on to other jobs.

Which is something I cannot do. If a full set is there and has an individual iron I need, I'll either buy the full set or leave them behind. I just can't bring myself to break up a set. Not judging anyone who does. It's just something I can't do.

I get stuff there for my own use, not for hording, not to resale. Maybe if they do a better job of sorting the golf clubs, they could (1) get more $ out of them ( and I'll be more than willing to pay a little more ). (2) they don't have to ask for shopper to "round up the purchase price for their "job training" funds.

Two weeks ago I was at a nearby Goodwill and found a set of Mizuno irons. I picked through the mess to find all of them and set them aside. Then I told the manager that he should really bundle a set like that, even go on Google and look them up if necessary, & that he could probably get more than $3 per club. Probably at least twice as much as a set. If the shafts weren't so stiff, I would have bought them. Anyway, his response was that he could not bundle them once they were put out, and that he had no idea what golf clubs were worth. So....I expect to see more individual clubs like this for sale and to continue to have to pick through the pile.

At a different thrift, they separate all of the clubs by number. All of the 3 irons are in a bin, then the 4 iron bin, and so on.

Lastly, still another thrift has a club that you could buy at K-mapart for $19.99 back in the 1990's tagged with a retail value of $100 and asking $40. So you never know what sort of lunacy you will find...

Which Mizunos? If MX forged I'm interested.

GW offered up a nearly new condition 3-PW set of 1977 Walter Hagen Ultra irons. Chrome ferrules remind me of Crager Mags on 67 GTO. Also picked a set of 1963 Hogan IPT 2-9 missing the 6 iron. And a Mac Nicklaus Muirfield Lite 1 iron hopped into the shopping cart too. If anyone needs this 1 iron to complete a set PM me, like to pass it on. Heading back there this week to see if the set the 6 iron and PW in the bin.

Goodwill in Beaver Dam?

Doug and I saw some IPTs there with a missing 6 iron. I was tempted, but didn't want to spend time looking for a 6 iron. The Haigs are a great find.

That is where I got them. Ultras from GW in Madison.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

Today's Find: Ping Belly Putter

2$ The shaft must be close to 48" long.

The top grip needs to be replaced. I think

I will try it out to see if I like it and if not, sell it.

Gotta be worth something....

I have a brand new 2 piece grip I will send you for ship cost if you want it. I was sent 2 of them by accident on a Duh Bay buy.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Pretty clean NW #1 iron. Hubert Green must have been one heck of a ball striker.

Yes he was. My old man knew him and said IF Hubert missed a green he would 5 iron you to death with the bump and run around the greens. He just recently passed away I think a couple of weeks or so ago

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Actually those were designed as a broomstick--- I still have my B-90 I that I messed around with some when I was experimenting. The only difference between yours and mine is that mine has an insert. And it did come "stock" at 48 inches

Goodwill uses a lot of mentally challenged people--- In fact one young lady from my Church worked at one until her physical health got so bad she was confined to a wheelchair on top of her mental problems. But yeah no one there at either store knows anything about golf clubs and lucky for me no one else around here appreciates or cares about the classic stuff either. Had a lady one day tell one of the employees that she wanted a certain piece of furniture. That employee did not understand. That lady got incensed about that. I asked that lady if she had enough common sense to see that the girl was mentally challenged? That she needed to go get a manager herself. That lady was a real d-bag she then started on me with something about us Southern Rednecks being A-holes. I looked at her and told her in plain English that she was a d-bag. She said screw it she would not spend one dime in there and left--- I told her not to let the door hit her in her arse when she left. On old clubs only a select few of us know what we are looking at anyhow

Goodwill uses a lot of mentally challenged people--- In fact one young lady from my Church worked at one until her physical health got so bad she was confined to a wheelchair on top of her mental problems. But yeah no one there at either store knows anything about golf clubs and lucky for me no one else around here appreciates or cares about the classic stuff either. Had a lady one day tell one of the employees that she wanted a certain piece of furniture. That employee did not understand. That lady got incensed about that. I asked that lady if she had enough common sense to see that the girl was mentally challenged? That she needed to go get a manager herself. That lady was a real d-bag she then started on me with something about us Southern Rednecks being A-holes. I looked at her and told her in plain English that she was a d-bag. She said screw it she would not spend one dime in there and left--- I told her not to let the door hit her in her arse when she left. On old clubs only a select few of us know what we are looking at anyhow

LOL, funny story.

I tell you, the other gender seemed to be not only out of the closet, they are parading on main streets now.

I was taught to respect the female gender when I was growing up. But I feel sometimes I'll need to protect myself from them these days.

Are you not seeing the most aggressive drivers on the roadways are young females ? Not just aggressive, blindly aggressive. Some of the more matured ladies also not wise about getting along with other people. I guess they were pampered by their father to start and spoiled and protected by their husband to think they could get away with anything.

Sorry that you had run into one of them, be thankful she was not packing when you had the verbal altercation with her.

One guy had a road rage incident next city South of here on the freeway with a female motorcyclist. They exchanged some verbal abuse and gesture, cut in front of each other then, both decided to pull over to the shoulder. The driver walked up to the motorcyclist, and she promptly shot him dead with a handgun. It was in the news and I told my wife never to think female is who they used to be.

LOL, funny story.

I tell you, the other gender seemed to be not only out of the closet, they are parading on main streets now.

I was taught to respect the female gender when I was growing up. But I feel sometimes I'll need to protect myself from them these days.

Are you not seeing the most aggressive drivers on the roadways are young females ? Not just aggressive, blindly aggressive. Some of the more matured ladies also not wise about getting along with other people. I guess they were pampered by their father to start and spoiled and protected by their husband to think they could get away with anything.

Sorry that you had run into one of them, be thankful she was not packing when you had the verbal altercation with her.

One guy had a road rage incident next city South of here on the freeway with a female motorcyclist. They exchanged some verbal abuse and gesture, cut in front of each other then, both decided to pull over to the shoulder. The driver walked up to the motorcyclist, and she promptly shot him dead with a handgun. It was in the news and I told my wife never to think female is who they used to be.

Trust me if she was packing she was not the only one--- hint hint smirk---- Some folks in general do not have any regard for those less fortunate than they are and everyone I have talked to in the service industry around here has said they are getting worse and worse every year.

I have a brand new 2 piece grip I will send you for ship cost if you want it. I was sent 2 of them by accident on a Duh Bay buy.

I'll take you up on that offer! Thank you! I will pm you.