Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

DeNin, I was thinking about all this bounce stuff (which I am staying well and truly out of, by the way) and given your commitment to science, it made me wonder if you're familiar with the book 'Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. It's a great book which I think you'd enjoy.

Goldacre is essentially on a mission to expose bad, poorly conducted scientific experiments and those who incorrectly misinterpret scientific studies for a cheap headline, i.e. the media. I know you are an engineer and the book is more medically oriented (Goldacre is a Doctor), however as someone who appreciates the sanctity of science, it's a great read.

His website, though primitive, has some great content too.

http://www.badscience.net/

It's similar to this John Oliver piece on Scientific studies. Now, despite being a fellow Englishman, I don't actually find Oliver that funny, but he does make some good points:

Wolf, good stuff here and no I'm not familiar with Goldacre. But OMFG, I could go on for days and pages about this very topic. I've limited my "DeBunks" to just golf in these threads and WRX in general, but the very theme of bad science in society seems to be more prevalent now than it ever has been. If not, then the exposure to bad science is more than it has been. And, like in golf, the reason it persists and is so prevalent in society is again...wait for it...IGNORANCE by the audience.

This discussion we've had on bounce is a classic example. A pretty picture of a curved bottom is shown to an ignorant golfer (that doesn't understand how to fully evaluate the "problem statement"), and then automatically the FALSE ASSUMPTION that the head "bounces" or glides (through sand that easily gives way to the mass and velocity of a clubhead) such that the clubhead "digs less" becomes "conventional wisdom" to said golfer. Right off the bat, the ignorant golfer just sees that VERY LIMITED presentation of the physics and buys into it...hook, line, and sinker. But if the golfer were actually educated on all the proper physics (fluid dynamics, mass and energy transfer, materials science properties, force balances, vectors, calculus, etc) then such false physics would never be "sold" to golfers because they would no longer be ignorant of what is really happening. The same issue lies in all those topics Goldacre is digging at.

This is the same issue with the "gear effect", offset, high MOI = "forgiveness", and many other HALF-TRUTH golf marketing "physics". I can completely DeBunk all of this because the science of all of them will include a FALSE ASSUMPTION that the ignorant golfer has no clue how to even evaluate them as false. Also the science presented is ALWAYS very limited. And then ultimately it gets talked about ad nauseam on the internet and also the golf marketing inundates you with it all as "fact" in advertising or through books like PD posted a picture of on bounce.

So yes your point rings true to me and I'm completely on board with the need to continue to challenge what is presented to us as "science" in this world of politics and capitalism especially. For me, it is second nature and I'm always doing it whether it be about golf, medicine, food processing, global warming...it doesn't matter to me. I'm just happy that I chose a technical profession in this day and age to give me a technical foundation from which I can actually challenge what is being presented. My education has rarely failed me, so I rely on it heavily. And more than ever, I feel that I need it. Our modern world has become so complex now and information available is exponential compared to what I grew up with. This is both good and bad. There's more of BOTH good and bad information out there. And now it takes WORK to sift through what is good and what is bad. Most people, including me, don't always want or have the time to put in the effort to properly assess it, so a lot of it is just blindly accepted.

In regards to bounce, I respect your want to abstain from discussing it, but I want to be clear that if you have any questions whatsoever on anything that I have mentioned about it, I'm open to clearly explaining everything to you and hopefully eliminate all doubts and questions. I hope that I have not given you the impression that I'm not open to a discussion. I care much more that the science be right about a topic than for me to be right about it. If I'm wrong on bounce or anything that I have ever technically posted, I WANT to know. And discussing and explaining my position through questions is how I get there.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Electrical was all patched up a few months back GLK. I'd still like to rewire the garage, but the project is on the back burner at the moment. I now know not to plug three things in at the same time : )

I kid about the geriatric comment. For whatever reason I really did think that you were younger than I was. You sound like you are in better shape at the moment.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Electrical was all patched up a few months back GLK. I'd still like to rewire the garage, but the project is on the back burner at the moment. I now know not to plug three things in at the same time

I kid about the geriatric comment. For whatever reason I really did think that you were younger than I was. You sound like you are in better shape at the moment.

"better shape at the moment". Sounds like PD is gonna be hitting the gym...

Not for one second saying it's "cool" - especially in modern times....Don't profess to be a deeply versed golf historian so I don't want to come close to painting that picture, either.

But I do want to put it out there I'm pretty sure golf was an elitist game LONG before the common man was allowed to touch it. In fact - I've often marveled how a "commoner".... the likes of Arnie - Lee - and an entire raft of guys like them brought golf to the masses more so in recent history than was true just a generation or two ago. Where would golf (all of us be)...without those people? So many people from those guys to Calvin Pete to Babe Zaharias... these folks kicked down some major doors in golf.

Now - comes the part that MAY just rub some fur the wrong way here. Back in the day when these blue blood clubs started - times were very different. Not saying its right today - but in times these things were started - they paid for the land - they could have called it golf - or horses - or bocce ball - or Parcheesi on a stick -- but it was a group of folks who bought and paid for it - owned it - and decided who and what was to be allowed in their privately funded little party. Is it right for the tour to park and play in the land of the snobs? Probably getting tougher and tougher for the old-line/hardliners to keep their heads in the sands. But these are NOT public courses. Tax dollars didn't build them. Its NOT cool. And for the remaining clubs who could care less who likes it... they are clearly going to have to eat-it in the media about it. Some are coming around at least a little.

Dang - there went my hopes of being invited to become a member at the nations most exclusive country clubs. Shoot! Guess me and that van down by the river may as well move on down the road! LOL.

Here's a follow up on my article yesterday about Muirfield.

Sounds like a horrible club and exactly the sort of place I would despise:

'Muirfield is ostensibly a snooty lunch and drinking club which, unfortunately, happens to have a wonderful links attached. For outsiders, the feeling of unease is instant. Visitors feel no reason whatsoever to hang around.

There is also more than an undercurrent of discrimination. No other explanation can be offered for a membership policy that has always excluded women. The tales are endless, such as that of a female executive of the European Tour having to eat in the Muirfield kitchen at the staging of a Senior Open Championship because she wasn’t permitted in the clubhouse.'

https://www.theguard...dmit-women-golf

I want no part of any club where my wife cannot play and eat and drink alongside me. This sounds worse than Augusta. I don't want to support the Masters for similar reasons, but I have developed a habit of watching it which is hard to let go of.

Augusta long ago (if they ever didn't) allowed women at the club, dining or playing. Membership was a different story until recently.

Hence my issues with them. I'm so conflicted about the Masters that it isn't funny. I have major issues with the elitism, but I grew up not caring about that due to sheer ignorance. I was just a kid that simply fell in love with the tournament and the course itself. But now that I know it is run by a bunch of elitist 1%'ers with a clear gender bias, I'm having to revisit my position on being a fan of the tournament. Ahhh...the ignorance of youth was soooo blissful!!!

Augusta is pretty mild and has changed anyway.

I'm sure there are still plenty of private clubs that are worse but don't

make the news. Some will never host a major cause they don't want

the unwashed trampling around the grounds of their cathedrals, lol.

From what I understand all the Augusta members are out on the

course helping and serving the "patrons" during the Masters. You can

spot them by their jackets I've been told. I don't think they're bad guys.

Geez, Lou Holtz is a member. He hardly carries himself as a 1%er, lol.

It's not the members that I have issue with. If it takes a club until recently to let women be members, to me that's a big issue.

Registered Bladeocrat

To follow up on playing with others, once in a while I get paired with another single, deuce, or trip, and we are all like-minded golfers, mid-low cap, intent on firing a good round, and also conversational and knowledgeable about the game. We swap ideas about the swing, but not to the point of obsessing over what we are doing wrong or chewing your ear off. A little tour talk and equipment talk thrown in, and we all shoot around 80 in about 3.5 hrs. Now that is a round of golf.

Yesterday I was in the basement with Mrs C. I walked over to my weights and did a few squats and some militaries. Shoulders felt disgusting but loosened up after a few reps. I told her I REALLY need to start using these more. She begins telling me all the exercises she does.....blah blah LMAO! She IS wonderful. I keed.

So....

This morning when I got off work it was on the cool side so instead of playing I went to sleep. Got up @ 2 thinking I'll go workout.

Then, it happened. I let the dogs out and it was 70* and sunny with little wind. I HAD to go to the range and hit balls. I HAD to.

:D. Maybe tomorrow. I doubt it but maybe.

Not for one second saying it's "cool" - especially in modern times....Don't profess to be a deeply versed golf historian so I don't want to come close to painting that picture, either.

But I do want to put it out there I'm pretty sure golf was an elitist game LONG before the common man was allowed to touch it. In fact - I've often marveled how a "commoner".... the likes of Arnie - Lee - and an entire raft of guys like them brought golf to the masses more so in recent history than was true just a generation or two ago. Where would golf (all of us be)...without those people? So many people from those guys to Calvin Pete to Babe Zaharias... these folks kicked down some major doors in golf.

Now - comes the part that MAY just rub some fur the wrong way here. Back in the day when these blue blood clubs started - times were very different. Not saying its right today - but in times these things were started - they paid for the land - they could have called it golf - or horses - or bocce ball - or Parcheesi on a stick -- but it was a group of folks who bought and paid for it - owned it - and decided who and what was to be allowed in their privately funded little party. Is it right for the tour to park and play in the land of the snobs? Probably getting tougher and tougher for the old-line/hardliners to keep their heads in the sands. But these are NOT public courses. Tax dollars didn't build them. Its NOT cool. And for the remaining clubs who could care less who likes it... they are clearly going to have to eat-it in the media about it. Some are coming around at least a little.

Dang - there went my hopes of being invited to become a member at the nations most exclusive country clubs. Shoot! Guess me and that van down by the river may as well move on down the road! LOL.

Great points. I, for one, would prefer the major rota (excluding the Masters)

be played on public courses. Right now it's about halfty fifty I would guess.

I say go public all the way so everyone can play those courses if they want.

For regular tour events I get that it would be too hard to play all events on

public courses. We'd get complaints about courses in less than stellar

condition and locals may get upset when their courses close for prep work.

I think a lot of us would like to play the courses pros play but in reality even

the public venues are very pricey in many cases anyway and might as well

be private as far as the vast majority of golfers are concerned.

I want no part of any club where my wife cannot play and eat and drink alongside me. This sounds worse than Augusta. I don't want to support the Masters for similar reasons, but I have developed a habit of watching it which is hard to let go of.

Augusta long ago (if they ever didn't) allowed women at the club, dining or playing. Membership was a different story until recently.

Hence my issues with them. I'm so conflicted about the Masters that it isn't funny. I have major issues with the elitism, but I grew up not caring about that due to sheer ignorance. I was just a kid that simply fell in love with the tournament and the course itself. But now that I know it is run by a bunch of elitist 1%'ers with a clear gender bias, I'm having to revisit my position on being a fan of the tournament. Ahhh...the ignorance of youth was soooo blissful!!!

It's not the members that I have issue with. If it takes a club until recently to let women be members, to me that's a big issue.

I think it would have happened sooner but they were sued by a few

feminist whackos many years back. It was a dumb lawsuit that had

zero chance of success but it got a lot of publicity. You can't sue

your way into Augusta; it's invitation only, male or female.

I don't think people who are married to women and have daughters

are anti women. Certainly many women have played the course

and hung out there but weren't members per se but might as well

have been, lol, just not "officially".

But think about it. they won't let you, a male, be a member either.

You're not alone though. Many have an issue with ANGC and that's

certainly their prerogative.

The fact that it got to a lawsuit already speaks volumes to me. 'Sooner' to me would have to be back in the 1980s or even when women had the right to vote. Sooner by a couple of years due to a lawsuit doesn't change anything.

And most definitely a guy that has a wife and daughters can still be anti women (in a discriminatory sense). If that is a qualification for being 'pro women', then it would not have ever been an issue in nearly all of history.

And none of this has anything to do with the fact that I as a male can't be a member.

It's simply an issue over general principles. But again, I'm conflicted. If it were a big issue, I would already not watch the Masters. They are (finally) heading in the right direction. And if they held a women's Masters, I would become a huge fan again. That would demonstrate truly embracing equality to me.

Registered Bladeocrat

The fact that it got to a lawsuit already speaks volumes to me. 'Sooner' to me would have to be back in the 1980s or even when women had the right to vote. Sooner by a couple of years due to a lawsuit doesn't change anything.

And most definitely a guy that has a wife and daughters can still be anti women (in a discriminatory sense). If that is a qualification for being 'pro women', then it would not have ever been an issue in nearly all of history.

And none of this has anything to do with the fact that I as a male can't be a member.

It's simply an issue over general principles. But again, I'm conflicted. If it were a big issue, I would already not watch the Masters. They are (finally) heading in the right direction. And if they held a women's Masters, I would become a huge fan again. That would demonstrate truly embracing equality to me.

Mike Whan calls Billy Payne every year and pushes a ladies Masters.

The men's Masters is a huge undertaking every year. There's currently no

appetite to take on a ladies Masters but Mike said Billy told him he can keep

calling.

Maybe some day. I, for one, would love to see it and see the women play

that course under the same conditions as the men.

The women already have 5 majors though and having 6 might diminish

the value of a few of them. Something would likely have to change and

the ANA and Evian be dethroned as majors IMO.

EDIT; TOOLed. Have been all friggin' night, lol.

Mike Whan calls Billy Payne every year and pushes a ladies Masters.

The men's Masters is a huge undertaking every year. There's currently no

appetite to take on a ladies Masters but Mike said Billy told him he can keep

calling.

Maybe some day. I, for one, would love to see it and see the women play

that course under the same conditions as the men.

The women already have 5 majors though and having 6 might diminish

the value of a few of them. Something would likely have to change and

the ANA and Evian be dethroned as majors IMO.

Yeah, 'tis but a pipe dream but still a good thought. Likely the powers that be don't see it as a profitable venture. And absolutely I can see it being a huge undertaking. And yes the conditions should be equal to the Masters. I understand that it would 'need' to be viewed as a major, but honestly I don't care as a fan. Heck, I'll take a one time exhibition tournament for ladies at this point. Just host something! LOL will the winner get a green skirt or 'skorts'? A cardigan?

Registered Bladeocrat

LOL MC.

I wonder what we all would do with a Major trophy. Let's see for DeNaughty...

Claret Jug - I would drink San Miguel beer out of it all night long at my celebration party.

Green Jacket - No doubt I would wear it nekkid and f*** the sh** out of my wife that night with it on. "Yeah, who's the Master now, woman!" (LOL for the record I told her all of this.)

Registered Bladeocrat

LOL MC.

Claret Jug - I would drink San Miguel beer out of it all night long at my celebration party.

Green Jacket - No doubt I would wear it nekkid and f*** the sh** out of my wife that night with it on. "Yeah, who's the Master now, woman!" (LOL for the record I told her all of this.)

BUTTERSCOTCH!!

I don't know what I'd do with a trophy. Might end up on a bookshelf then, eventually in a box in the basement. Lol.

Green ain't my color. The thing would just hang in the closet. ;)

LOL MC.

BUTTERSCOTCH!!

I don't know what I'd do with a trophy. Might end up on a bookshelf then, eventually in a box in the basement. Lol.

I like green but the Green Jacket green is pretty hideous. It reminds me of the pants I had to wear in catholic school and the skirts the girls wore.

LOL the Claret Jug in a cardboard box. That is golf sacrilege. Love it!

I *might* turn the Wanamaker Trophy into my spare change jar. Never did care for the PGA Championship. I like the Players better than it.

Registered Bladeocrat

LOL MC.

BUTTERSCOTCH!!

I like green but the Green Jacket green is pretty hideous. It reminds me of the pants I had to wear in catholic school and the skirts the girls wore.

LOL the Claret Jug in a cardboard box. That is golf sacrilege. Love it!

I *might* turn the Wanamaker Trophy into my spare change jar. Never did care for the PGA Championship. I like the Players better than it.

As an OGA member, I think I'd have to let the Confessionati use the US OPEN trophy as a ...... ;) Solo rounds only. ;)

A few ruminations . . .

Beautiful homes gentlemen.

I didn't realize that GLK was a senior citizen until today (not that I have an issue visiting the geriatric ward ; )

I despise elitism.

I like John Oliver.

I can assure you, PD. glk doesn't swing the club like a senior. He keeps himself in good shape and puts a good move on the ball.

I've seen enough of the senior tour to know that 60 is the new 30.

Besides GLK sounds like a rap moniker.

I really like it when you younger guys talk about us seniors because (well obviously) you will be one someday, but I hope you realize that it's totally different than it used to be, being a senior.

Both of my grandfathers were farmers, and by the time they were my age, I remember them looking like 80. They would lay on the floor to get their backs to feel better. They would all watch Lawrence Welk on Saturday night and that was a biggie, my grandmothers would sew and bake and do everything you were supposed to do back then etc etc....wonderful people of course...

They would have us over and we would maybe play checkers and watch Welk too, and eat potroast.

Now 2016, I play golf and take the grandkids. They come over, I play guitar, we go out for pizza, go on a trip to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. My wife runs and wins 5 through 15 k's and half marathons. She works at the Y so we have a free membership to the workout facility and we use it. We have no wrinkles, we text and email funny crap to our kids and grandkids all the time. I go flying with my son. My wife wants to parachute (ok, I won't do that :) ... We definitely still fool around, we plan to work into our 70's etc, etc. being a senior is fun, and it's like, what does this senior stuff mean anyway, no time for that...

So I say all that to say this... When you younger guys get to be our age, life definitely isn't even beginning to be like over, you will have a blast, especially depending on how you take care of yourself now. Oh, and enjoy as much as possible... there are kids and grandkids out there waiting in the wings, who will need to learn how to be happy- from you!

A few ruminations . . .

Beautiful homes gentlemen.

I didn't realize that GLK was a senior citizen until today (not that I have an issue visiting the geriatric ward ; )

I despise elitism.

I like John Oliver.

I can assure you, PD. glk doesn't swing the club like a senior. He keeps himself in good shape and puts a good move on the ball.

I've seen enough of the senior tour to know that 60 is the new 30.

Besides GLK sounds like a rap moniker.

I really like it when you younger guys talk about us seniors because (well obviously) you will be one someday, but I hope you realize that it's totally different than it used to be, being a senior.

Both of my grandfathers were farmers, and by the time they were my age, I remember them looking like 80. They would lay on the floor to get their backs to feel better. They would all watch Lawrence Welk on Saturday night and that was a biggie, my grandmothers would sew and bake and do everything you were supposed to do back then etc etc....wonderful people of course...

They would have us over and we would maybe play checkers and watch Welk too, and eat potroast.

Now 2016, I play golf and take the grandkids. They come over, I play guitar, we go out for pizza, go on a trip to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. My wife runs and wins 5 through 15 k's and half marathons. She works at the Y so we have a free membership to the workout facility and we use it. We have no wrinkles, we text and email funny crap to our kids and grandkids all the time. I go flying with my son. My wife wants to parachute (ok, I won't do that :) ... We definitely still fool around, we plan to work into our 70's etc, etc. being a senior is fun, and it's like, what does this senior stuff mean anyway, no time for that...

So I say all that to say this... When you younger guys get to be our age, life definitely isn't even beginning to be like over, you will have a blast, especially depending on how you take care of yourself now. Oh, and enjoy as much as possible... there are kids and grandkids out there waiting in the wings, who will need to learn how to be happy- from you!

Here in TN i still get carded (state law requires EVERYONE to be carded).

And I really agree with Sixty on this one.

I've been blessed with young looking genes. That and was a lifelong gym rat and nonsmoker. Though I did start to have more of a senior tour body in the last few years - amazing what this lifting has done in just 3 months - I'm not quite a flat belly yet but I would expect to get there by the end of the year - without doing any situps - and I'm not looking to push it - I do 5 sets of 6 reps and even then have more in the tank - that 78 year old grandma that deadlifted 225 (and can do 245) inspired me. Then with the bodylastic bands I can do lots of different stretching exercises for my hips, back, core, ....

Seriously, has been an overall positive - better strength - I can now open new pickle jars that have been left in the frig without 1) running it under hot water 2) using one of those rubber grippy things. :D Combine that with the slow, slow rebuild of my swing and I can see the more pop I'm getting.

Most of my friends back in Chicago are pretty much the same way. Sure we've put on some pounds but my one friend still does his annual bicycle tour of the country - though he's starting to cut back from 2K-3K miles to low 1K - and he won't do Australia and New Zealand again. Check it out (and he's 2 years older than me) - http://www.cyclingaw.../CycleTours.htm

I do watch out though - this year when I spread the 7 yard of compost and 11 yards of mulch - I took 3 days - back in my yut, I would have done it in one (with help from my peanut gallery) - used to do 10 yards in Chicago in 3 hours, one wheelbarrow - but that was flat and my yard is steep enough that I have to mow a lot of it up and down and not across - my old 20 inch toro sets in my garage - need every inch of that 42 riding mower (and if I had a bigger storage place I'd have gotten a wider cut) and it still takes me a bit over an hour.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Speaking of male only clubs, I had the opportunity to play at Butler National outside Chicago in the fall, and it was incredible. The most gorgeous piece of land I have ever seen or been on. From what I've read, they would probably get a major if they let women in but the members still don't want that. It's a shame, it would be great fun to watch the pros struggle on that golf course.

On the Augusta and the Masters, I've never bought the hype. It's a creation of Clifford Roberts - who appears to have been one nasty person at times - if left to Jones it sounds like it wouldn't have amounted to what it is now - Jones has been quoted as saying the Invitational is not a championship of anything - and he's still correct - it has a limited weak field - weakest among the majors. I'm not in awe and prefer the Opens.

But they don't hold the market on elitism. Muirfield as noted - which just lost the Open since they voted against allowing women. Good ole Butler National in Oak Brook lost the tour spot (and potential US Opens/PGAs) since they won't admit women members (or let them play) even to this day (and that course kicked the tours butt without even being setup for a major) - have a nephew that caddied over there - interesting to say the least. But Chicago has other clubs like that - Black Sheep got started and proudly advertised the no women policy - and that means no women except for firefighters, police, ...doing their job - wives have had to drop their husbands off at the entrance, 300 yards from the clubhouse!! Old Elm and Bob O'Link are also male only - no woman can play or be on the grounds . One club I heard spent thousands to upgrade a metra restroom rather than let the women in even to use the bathroom - might be myth but who knows.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

To all of you youngsters, I agree with Sixty and GLK....dont dread getting older...look forward to it ! I will be 70 in Sept.,and I have never been in

a hospital ,outside of Nam....Last winter i tore my shoulder up,but that was due to a weak link in my cerebral.....got stuck in a snowbank, and lifted

the rear of the garden tractor out......not one of my smartest ideas....

Anyway...keep yourself in shape...do it now...do NOT wait until you are 55/60 and then try to get back to a 34 waist...it will be much easier to

do as you go along ! And really,along with staying in shape....i know you have heard this before......dont start smoking...if you already do

then QUIT.......your coaches when you were a kid were correct....it will steal your wind....they just forgot to tell you that it wont show up until

fourty years later ! but really,retirement has found me busier than i have ever been,but it is being busy from doing the things i want to do. And

I have a granddaughter that swings a driver like Lexie....i take more joy in watching her hit the ball then she does ! Life is great when you

have the time to live it !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

NO WRINKLES !?!?!

Sixty?

I'm only 40 and I've got wrinkles.

I talk to my mom a lot about aging and life. I think our culture placed too big of an emphasis on youth and that inevitably detracted from aging gracefully. I love this Herman Hesse novel, "The Glass Bead Game." It's basically about how what you've done with your life is reflected in how you age. Most other places in the world respect the older members of their community. I feel like modern medicine has stolen some of the mystique from longevity. Kids are so busy looking down at their devices they never take the time to look back. Imagine what the world was like 100, 300, or 3,000 years ago.

My grandparents generation were my favorite. Rough and the corners and with their priorities right IMO. My grandfather spent 3 years of WWII under the Pacific in a submarine. All he knew was that he wanted to provide for his family and retire to wide open spaces. Spend his retirement like his youth wandering around farmland with a 20 gauge shotgun in his hands, dogs running by his side, shooting quail and dove for his wife to fry.

Old guys rule. Literally.

Registered Bladeocrat

To be sure, the pace of play at male only clubs must be incredible compared to their co-ed counterparts*

*The opinions in this post are in no way reflective of the opinions of the poster, his employer, GolfWRX, or the general golfing population.

I was hanging with some guys who were saying that if they were in a market with a male-only club option they would join. I don't know. I consider myself to get along well with other men, but every situation, like a college fraternity house, that turns into all men also turns into too much testosterone for me. I like taking risk and putting your money where your mouth is... that's part of the reason I pursued big mountain skiing and whitewater kayaking most of my adult life, but sitting around and drinking and talking about it everyone is a hero. Sit the beer can down and show up. Every ski town has a guy that talks all night at the local watering hole about the big "powder day" tomorrow. Too bad he's drunk in bed, probably having pissed himself, while the shredders are catching the first chair lift, or making an alpine start to hike for some turns.

I'd probably be more likely to join a club with a handicap maximum and a strict pace policy. Also, if I won the lottery and created my own private club it wouldn't have carts or tee times. The first 4 that showed up go out together. You want to play with 4 guys, show up and put yourself on the list and as soon as all the singles in front of you are paired up with the singles behind you, you can go out. I'd have local high school kids caddy and pay them in college scholarship money.

BTW, I went out yesterday and had a horrendous start, two quads. It was our skins game, so I never got too negative about it. Came back with two birdies on the front and one on the back and a KP on 13, playing about 165 yards. Won me about $35 and my $14 back as entrance fee. I've lost two pops with the index trending down.

Funny enough I think I shot an 87, but I could only post an 83 with the new ESC being below ten is double bogey max. If any of you want to read something I found kind of funny check out this thread, post #339...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1308208-which-pga-tour-players-are-cool-off-the-course-which-arent/page__st__330

BTW Matt J, in your new avatar you can see how the lower half of that ball is more compressed than the upper half. This is the primary reason for spin off a strong lofted club. Also, if you watch the video where that came from, there ain't no spin created from any "gear effect". The video clearly shows that the spin comes from asymmetric ball compression: one half of the ball compresses more relative to the other half.

Here is the vid and the ball impacts for various SS's are at 0:50 to 1:00. All shots show the lower, more compressed, half of the ball 'springing' off the face more than the upper half. The higher SS's spin the ball more since they compress the ball more.

I love that pic, but I confess that I miss Condi's gap tooth.

Registered Bladeocrat

NO WRINKLES !?!?!

Sixty?

I'm only 40 and I've got wrinkles.

I talk to my mom a lot about aging and life. I think our culture placed too big of an emphasis on youth and that inevitably detracted from aging gracefully. I love this Herman Hesse novel, "The Glass Bead Game." It's basically about how what you've done with your life is reflected in how you age. Most other places in the world respect the older members of their community. I feel like modern medicine has stolen some of the mystique from longevity. Kids are so busy looking down at their devices they never take the time to look back. Imagine what the world was like 100, 300, or 3,000 years ago.

My grandparents generation were my favorite. Rough and the corners and with their priorities right IMO. My grandfather spent 3 years of WWII under the Pacific in a submarine. All he knew was that he wanted to provide for his family and retire to wide open spaces. Spend his retirement like his youth wandering around farmland with a 20 gauge shotgun in his hands, dogs running by his side, shooting quail and dove for his wife to fry.

I'll bet your grandfather was a great guy...

Don't drink, don't smoke, eat well (fruits and veggies) we do gluten free, but I don't freak out about it, drink lots of water, get lots of sleep, don't sweat the small stuff, and stay amused :)