Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Sorry for the several day absense goys. Work (you guys remember that don't you?) has been super busy with people on holiday for school half term. 

So Mrs D has a golf lesson tonight. She played in her usual Thursday Cluc game yesterday and just stopped at 12. She walked the rest of the round but refused to hit anymore balls. She's been in a slump with her game recently. Can hit it like both a single figure and a new beginner in the same round. She's confused what's she trying to do with her swing, it feels uncomfortable and it's getting into her head. 

So she called our pro yesterday and he's booked her in for this evening to "start again" with her swing. 

She went for a driver fitting a cpuple weeks ago and was hitting her driver grteat. As soon as she was given another club the wheels fell off and she couldn't get it back so the fitting never happened. 

Personally I think this has been a while coming and much needed. When she swing, she looks uncomfortable and awkward compared to a year ago when she was playing her best and got her handicap down to near single fingures. 

I ran through my grip check list with her last night and she said that felt very different, but much better and reliable than how she was holding it. I think they will start with grip and takeaway as that's where I think her big issue is.

I also got her to do Sol's tests and the club was so shut with the first test it was scary. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, touch said:

You are correct and it sure needs it Stu. It is a crying shame that the city has let that historic track fall into such disrepair. I've played it about 20 times and when I do I think this is just pure ghetto golf. The greens are always acceptable, but that is about it. 

Sometimes ghetto golf can be fun but not at the expense of a Ross course. Nothing gets me started like someone under the guise of revamping a Ross course messes it up or destroyes it. Good example Carolina Golf and Country Club in Charlotte. About 25 years ago they "redesigned it" Now hardly any of the original Ross design is there. My friend his family was one of the charter members was so incensed he resigned and joined another club. I was told recently that Mooresville NC Muni which the front 9 was a Ross design has been completely revamped. In Stu's World you do not mess with a Ross course. In my heart I believe there is a special place in hell for those that do.

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

1 hour ago, Divot License said:

Sorry for the several day absense goys. Work (you guys remember that don't you?) has been super busy with people on holiday for school half term. 

So Mrs D has a golf lesson tonight. She played in her usual Thursday Cluc game yesterday and just stopped at 12. She walked the rest of the round but refused to hit anymore balls. She's been in a slump with her game recently. Can hit it like both a single figure and a new beginner in the same round. She's confused what's she trying to do with her swing, it feels uncomfortable and it's getting into her head. 

So she called our pro yesterday and he's booked her in for this evening to "start again" with her swing. 

She went for a driver fitting a cpuple weeks ago and was hitting her driver grteat. As soon as she was given another club the wheels fell off and she couldn't get it back so the fitting never happened. 

Personally I think this has been a while coming and much needed. When she swing, she looks uncomfortable and awkward compared to a year ago when she was playing her best and got her handicap down to near single fingures. 

I ran through my grip check list with her last night and she said that felt very different, but much better and reliable than how she was holding it. I think they will start with grip and takeaway as that's where I think her big issue is.

I also got her to do Sol's tests and the club was so shut with the first test it was scary. 

Like I have said before I am not an instructor by any means of the imagination. I will say this from what you posted IMHO she is a victim of parlysis by analysis. Let her relax not think about it and hit the ball.

Yesterday I was up on the range really not working on anything other than staying loose. I really hit the ball good. Had a break in the action so I snuck out on the front side. I really hit the ball well hit 4 out of 5 GIRS. Our par 3 3rd hole I hit it well and flew it over the pin so I had no problem. I did get it up and down for the par. Our next hole a Par 5 I had something happen I never had happen since the balata days. When I play by myself I play whatever balls from my shag bag I grab. I hit an old NXT Tour and it had some funny flight and dropped like a rock maybe 150 yards out and had a funny sound to it.  I did tee up another ball sorta a provisional. I got to the NXT it had split. For the fun of it I hit my 7 wood towards the hazard and it never reached the hazard some 150 yards away because it split slam in 2 pieces LOL. I played the second ball and made birdie. I do keep a seperate shag tube with my old play balls mostly Srixon for short game practice. I decided for now on to play balls from the tube unless it is CPO. I ran into some slow tourists on #5 and I called it a day after that. Our greens were just Verdi Cut because they are fixing to overseed so they did not putt good. In reality I hit the ball good but even if the greens were good I had only one shot at a bird which was a no brainer on #4 off the second ball.

Not going out early or after lunch today because we have the 9 and Dine at 4. We will go out about 2 or so loosen up and play that.

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I will say this from what you posted IMHO she is a victim of parlysis by analysis. Let her relax not think about it and hit the ball.

I completly agree with this. 

Her issue is she went from complete beginner to 15 handcap index in under 3 years. Then hit the inevitable plateau and started pushing hard to get through it. She went from occcasional lessons to more full on and somewhere along to way got very lost in the wold of swing technicallity. 

She's also a big practicer and moves her swing signifucanlty in short amoung od time. Over a year ago she was put on trackman and was hitting 3 degrees out to in on her 7 iron. Our pro make a small change to her swing to get the path a little more neutral since an out to in path is "usually" steeper and since shes only a little over 5' that can cause issues. Therefore a more neutral and this shallow attack angle would be more consistent. 4 months later she was on Trackman and was now 7 degrees in to out. She had moved the needle 10 dgress in a few months. 

Speaking to our pro a few weeks ago while on the course we said he needs to stop with the more vague instruction and try actually getting her to hit exact positions an give her more rigid guidlines.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Divot License said:

I completly agree with this. 

Her issue is she went from complete beginner to 15 handcap index in under 3 years. Then hit the inevitable plateau and started pushing hard to get through it. She went from occcasional lessons to more full on and somewhere along to way got very lost in the wold of swing technicallity. 

She's also a big practicer and moves her swing signifucanlty in short amoung od time. Over a year ago she was put on trackman and was hitting 3 degrees out to in on her 7 iron. Our pro make a small change to her swing to get the path a little more neutral since an out to in path is "usually" steeper and since shes only a little over 5' that can cause issues. Therefore a more neutral and this shallow attack angle would be more consistent. 4 months later she was on Trackman and was now 7 degrees in to out. She had moved the needle 10 dgress in a few months. 

Speaking to our pro a few weeks ago while on the course we said he needs to stop with the more vague instruction and try actually getting her to hit exact positions an give her more rigid guidlines.

I agree with your Pro somewhat--- Now I will add this and it is not of mainstream thought which is one of the reasons I have never been an instructor--- Everyone is different and the AOA and point of contact can vary. I have always been a proponent of a natural swing that feels comfortable to an individual and no in golf guru circles that is not popular mainstream either. I am sorta being in favor of changing the stance some to compensate somewhat for what I feel is a natural swing. When I say stance I mean open or closed and Ball position. I have also been a big proponent of ball position because again everyones swing and AOA and position of contact is different. I have always been a proponent of a more natural swing because everyone is built differently. I have actually went through the stage of trying to be too mechanical and got to where I was overthinking everything trying to get things absolutely correct. Now in life say I am building a club or even back when I built race cars I am anal and jump through hoops to get things absolutely correct. I developed my swing attitude growing up at the course my old man ran and observing different swings with different results. My mind works as in I absorb information then analyize it and sort it out. That is how I developed my attitude of there is no one proper etched in stone way to swing or play this game.

And no I am not against formal instruction and I give anyone 2 pieces of advice on it after finding a instructor you can work with. First off practice exactly what that instructor has taught you. Do not watch GC instruction programs or do U-Tube or read golf magazines. Number two Practice Practice Practice exactly what your instructor tells you to do between instructional sessions. That last part I see a lot down here as in people will take lessons from an instructor and expect miracles without practice on what they have been taught. When they do not improve due to lack of practice they want to blame the instructor. Yes people expect miracles without effort. 

Just my.02 from my perspective which I admit is not etched in stone either it is just IMHO

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I know how you feel.

I have an internal septic tank. It can’t be cleaned out. I’m full from a lifetime of crap so I ask people to please give their crap to someone else. 😉

First off I do not want to offend here because I know all Northners are not like that. Some of these ***hat transplants around here can not handle me because I will not take their crap period and will spring back on them WFO. I come back on them straight out of North Charlotte NC straight off the trailer. Good example

Yesterday one of our Red Card members was complaining about they Vedi Cut the greens this week and he complains every year and he has been told countless times why that I have heard myself. Our Super and grounds crews have worked their butts off the last 2 years and have done a 150% turn around of the course. I got on his old decripid butt hard in front of one of the owners. I told him you know damn well why. It is transition season and if they do not get the thatch out then the overseed rye will not take root and grow. By December you will be putting on dirt and complaining then. I further told him everyone was putting in the same conditions. I also told him he was a Red Card member and for $150 a year he got $20 rounds cart fees and all and he plays 3 or 4 days a week. I told him maybe if he expected Augusta National conditions year round he should maybe join next year up at Grand Dunes or one of the upscale courses but it would cost upscale prices. Man he sulked off as quickly as his old decripid butt could go. And like I said before since my accident and getting older my BS meter pegs lower and lower

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

I would rather have a cheesesteak from  D Allesandros and a Mexican Coke

Dalessandro's Steaks - Best Philly Cheesesteaks - Philadelphia - YouTube

What no green peppers?  For shame. 😄

• Like 2

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)