2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Well the brains have started to melt, major stores are rationing toilet paper to one pack per person, shops have been stripped clean. Some have been arrested for fighting in the shops as they were trying to get out with a trolley load and another lady? Asked if she could have one pack, no way was the answer and a fight ensued between the hoarder, her daughter and the lady with no toilet roll. It does not make any sense as she would not have been allowed to purchase all in her trolly anyway,

After the fight was broken up by staff, the manager threw them all out without anything so it was self defeating anyway. Some major stores have now started handing a pack per customer from behind the service counter. The stupidity of people sometimes does my head in.

On a positive note, a day off from the renovation today, only painting to do, putting soft felt on the bottom of all the furniture legs that are going in the room to stop the new floor being scratched.

The Grille also seems to be normal which is always a good start to my day.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Toilet paper fights down under...............................you can't make this stuff up, lol.

• Like 1

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Stopped by the grocery store yesterday afternoon to pickup a few things. Was going to grab some TP, but the shelves were nearly empty. How could the store be out of TP on a Saturday afternoon? Driving home, dawned on me. Corona. Sheesh! Michigan doesn't even have one reported case and peeps are hoarding TP. Trying to figure out what stockpiling TP has to do with warding off the virus. Crazy mode has official set in.

Went out today, to another store, and grabbed two 12 packs. Don't want to be without when the TP shortage commences. Bought a few other things so they didn't think I was a TP panic buyer.

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

No you can’t make it up, makes no sense. The manufacturers are now working 24hrs to keep up with demand. One amusing thing happened a truck with a fullload delivering to local shop set on fire, destroying the whole load, panic was even worse despite the fact their were several other full truck loads on the road.

one problem we have in Australia is the shipping of essential items to China. Recently there was a scare in China because babies disposable nappies were not manufactured to proper standards, so they decided Australia could supply them, there were gangs of Chinese walking into shops and stripping shelves selling them to dedicated shops who then shipped thousands of boxes to China at a massive profit, shops put a limit on them but they were shopping dozens at a time taking the allowance, returning to the shop and stacking them outside in full view of the security, no one did anything, they let it happen, despite the fact Australian mothers could not purchase any when they needed them, they were rushing into the shops as they opened and ripping them off the pallets before they were even on the shelves.

This is happening now with the virus scare, all what is considered essential is being shipped out and our weak government not wanting to upset them are allowing it to happen

I am waiting for the flip when the world once again returns to normal, not holding my breath though.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

People are mental! What do these folks think their hoarding will do?

I said to my DIL last night that there's a reason children are being spared. They are the future and have yet to be corrupted by greed and selfishness.

I was reading a piece about artificial intelligence while we were away on our cruise and they have already built a program that learns. I believe it's called Google Alpha. It took nine hours from never having played chess to beating the world's best chess program 88 times out of 100! I think they found similar results with the game Shogi as well. The next step in evolution is here. At what point will the machines start making decisions for us; all decisions?

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Too soon I would think, too many people now do not want to think. There was an “expert” on television this morning talking about child education, the question was asked when should we teach our children to read, answer from expert, parents should never teach children to read, that’s the teachers job in school.

that answer to me sums up the whole attitude of parents and so called experts today. When my son was two he could read, when he was three he was capable of reading and understanding a book, correct me if I am wrong but is not education part of a parents responsibility.

they were also talking about the two and three year old children and their reliance on technology, for me this is the biggest problem we have, the amount of times we see children sitting in the shopping trolly with a phone or IPad and their parents totally ignoring them. When my wife took my son shopping it was a full out discussion about everything in the store, he was allowed and encouraged to select some items, if they were not suitable it was discussed why and what would be a better alternative, isn’t this what education is all about, life lessons, obviously not in today’s world.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

It has been four weeks now since my revelation and medication. My energy levels have not been this good for well over a year and it has been causing some problems that my ageing brain took awhile to comprehend.

for a while now I have had major problems controlling my weight, it was always going up and took an effort to reduce it. Suddenly I am losing weight rapidly, this is one thing I discussed with my doctor as he would have been concerned if I had been losing it. DW was trying to get me back to the doctor to sort out my weight loss as she thought it could mean I had another serious medical problem. It turns out the solution was easy, more effort means more calorie intake which means more food, I have been doing three four times the work and for some reason not eating more, since finally working this out and increasing my food intake my weight has stabilised, simple really just like my mind ?

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Hoarding,

A local shop has put a notice on its doors, do not worry about those stocking up on toilet rolls etc as they have forgotten to buy food so in the near future they will all die of starvation. Problem solved.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

A beautiful balmy day here in the Peninsula. We pushed the mercury up to (and beyond) 60°F by midday!
Had coffee with my buddy, Dave and we were discussing the coming golf season and where we might play. He had planned to join the course where I work, but I've been thinking about moving on from there as it's a 45 minutes drive for both of us. WE used to play at a goat track out in the country about equi-distant from both our current locations that would be less than a half hour for each of us and cheaper to boot. I was leaning that direction, but we'll see how things sort out in the next few weeks.
I was out and about doing a bit of yardwork. Not much to do really after the big renovation late last year, but I did notice that the flowering bulbs were pushing through as were the ferns. No idea what we've got until they bloom, so this spring is going to be a bit of an adventure of discovery.
Not unlike the @tolmij household, DW has plans for redecorating our small bedroom which is currently unoccupied. I think there's visions of a nursery should #1 son and DIL finally get in the family way. They indicated as much when we were there for dinner last night.
WE also have another potential addition that we are considering in the form of a rescue dog. The kids are currently caring for a Beagle cross that has been rescued from a puppy mill. She is a dear sweet thing, but oh so nervous. She needs a loving home and my first instinct was to take her on the spot! Not sure how the cat will react, but I think having a timid dog that's quiet would be a plus in that regard. Still mulling it over as she has yet to be spayed and they are waiting for that since she just went through a heat. I'd like to test the idea out for a weekend to see how things would go before the surgery is performed.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The 2020 golf season officially commenced today, playing 9. The course opened yesterday and talking with the fellow in the pro shop, evidently was slammed in the afternoon. Some what overcast skies, a brisk breeze making the 60* temp feel a bit cooler. But not at all unpleasant after getting my core temp up while walking. Peeled off a jacket after a couple of holes. The course was quite dry all things considered.

There were others out, but not all that crowded. A single and a twosome in front, no one behind for a couple of holes. Afforded me the opportunity to hit a fair number of extra shots if I didn't like the first one. Drove the ball very well, hit some decent fairway shots. Iron play was rather dicey, couldn't seem to make solid contact with the ball. And when I did, seemed be pulling shots to the left. To early for any critical analysis as to why. One legit par on a Par 5 hole. The rest didn't really count because of the extra shots taken along the way. Putting is always a guess and hope on greens this early in the season. Anyhow, it was enjoyable to get back out. Played in a brisk paced 1.5 hours. Didn't seem that quick, until I checked the time once done.

That's likely to be it for awhile. Nothing in the 10 day weather forecast looks like golf weather. Mostly rain and cool temps. Fella don't golf in the 40's.

Somehow ironed this shot in reasonable close on this hole. Then mucked it up with a three putt. (Knew I should have given myself a gimme from 3').

69H0OBA2SZVI.jpgBest drive of the day. Good distance right in the middle of the fairway. About 130 to the hole. Promptly pulled the ball into the left trap on my next shot. Not hitting out of a still not groomed bunker, pulled the ball out and behind to try a short pitch lob to the pin. Bladed it across the green. Dropped a ball and did it again!! Some number of putts to get in proximity to the hole and that was enough. Perhaps jinxed myself stopping for a pic. I'll choose to only remember the drive.

6K71V0UC3GCL.jpg

• Like 3

Wonderful! That's great news @Fellaheen51 The first golf game recorded in the northern tier!
Haven't heard anything about potential openings yet in these parts although I won't be surprised if I hear of someone getting a game in when I'm at curling tomorrow. Everything is spit and polished and ready to go, just need to opening. I might venture up to the range on the escarpment to see if and when they might be opening.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Nice pics Fella! We went out today as a 3some. Temps in the low 70s but very windy, Judge still closed due to flooding and

10-12 closed on the Legislator for the same reason so we played the Senator, which has the most wind exposure. It was a

battle out there but fun; in a grinding sort of way, lol. My highlight was draining a 50 footer for birdie on 13; my best putt

of the year so far. Plan to play more golf this year than I have in many years; which hopefully, means my game will round

into decent form. After all, spring is the time for optimism.............and we can all hope we have a great year ahead of us.

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

If your DW is anything like mine, once the idea is there it does not go away, best of luck and enjoy the experience.

Six hours today and the top coat is finished, only have to plaster the hallway wall and paint it then we are finished, compared to what we have done that’s an easy job. Hope to be finished on Saturday.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I guess I was lucky. I had an Aunt that was a school teacher and so I learned to read and write young. In fact due to her in the 3rd grade I was reading on a 6th grade level. In fact I skipped the 4th grade because of my reading and math levels. I could have done more in life academics wise but when I got in my teens I got hard headed and lazy. I remember I got into trouble in my junior year and had to either go to Juvenile or in the military. It was not that bad really. I had had my drivers license suspended for street racing and out running the cops. It did not stop me any I kept on got caught again street racing with no license and again out running the cops. It was not that I disrespected the cops I just thought it was funny. In the Navy on my first assignment my division officer was a real educated guy and recognized my potential. He made me go get my GED first off. I took and passed all the preliminary tests first time. In fact got my GED before my class graduated that year. This division officer had to send several personnel to several schools during the year. Since I went and applied myself and did well he sent me. I actually made E-4 my first year in through academics and had never went to sea. But it was stuff I was interested in like mechanics , engineering and firefighting. Actually when I was getting out he begged me to stay in and go to OCS school to become a propulsion engineer officer. But 3 1/2 years of discipline was enough for me. The wild side won out. I came back home briefly and then went to Florida to the minis. I look back with no regrets I had fun.

Today I review every driver application with the Ops manager and the owner and frankly most of these folks have 3rd grade penmanship and I can hardly read it. I guess now days that is why most companies have someone do an application by computer. Driver logs are done by computer now. We still have to do our fuel mileage logs by hand at my company. They are simple but the last 2 drivers we have had have managed to screw them up. I hate to see the world now if all the computers go down and things have to again be written by hand

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

We are lucky with the south Queensland weather, golf courses are open 12 months a year. Gets a little cold round 55-60f first thing in the morning but usually heats up to around the 70s by midday.

Summer is a little hot with temp from 90-104 on the hottest days, some courses close for safety when it gets too hot but not all, our club usually does not close as there is plenty of cover from the sun. Most fairways are tree lined.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Artificial Narrow Intelligence (a machine is adept at performing a single task...like chess, Go, translations, etc.,... will eventually migrate to Artificial General Intelligence, where a machine can do anything a human can do, only faster and "smarter" (maybe 2025-2030?). Then there is Artificial Super Intelligence...that is Skynet, lol...a machine can run laps around the most intelligent human being in any field.

• Like 2

Lack of education, language skills in particular shows with all aspects of life. Listen to reporters on TV, listen to conversations when you are out and about, the standard is dropping all the time, most of them cannot put a sentence together, using plural when singular is required is my greatest dislike because it is so easy to think before you speak.

In Australia every school child has to complete an annual test that is supposed to give a check on standards between schools and the schools are then ranked against a supposed national standard, the problem is it takes so long for the results that they are no longer relevant, and teachers are concentrating on teaching to pass the exam rather than general education as they used to so the test Is self defeating. Teachers, pupils and parents have been trying to have the test cancelled for years but the government say it is important in an effort to keep up teaching standards. Fortunately now the teachers union has involved itself at the request of teachers and it seems something may now change.

One other point before I go shopping for toilet rolls, the entrance mark for university required for a teaching degree is the lowest of any course, the joke is if you cannot do anything else, teach. Until that is altered nothing will change.

• Like 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Shopping this morning was not without incident. We were shopping in our go to store. Where we know the manager well, he is a very intelligent Indian gentleman and gentleman sums him up.

there is a one pack toilet roll per customer so we knew what was going to happen and as we were waiting for the store to open the bogans were making their plans. Each family member goes in as a seperate customer and purchases as a seperate purchase one pack of rolls, they then meet up outside and go home, so technically they have not broken the rules.

One family did this and as they were walking away another customer entered the shop, she had seen the several packs in the trolly and was going to purchase the same amount do or die, the manager was in the shop as she was loading them up and told her one pack per customer, she started to get agitated and finally started screaming at the top of her voice I want some for my sister the manager continued to try and calm her, suddenly she picked them up and slung them across the shop, hitting my wife in the chest and the bottom of her face, good job It was only soft but it was quite a shock, until she was confronted she had no intention of apologising! Unfortunately I was collecting goods from elsewhere I heard the altercation but did not see it, by the time I found out she had been removed from the shop.

The manager could not apologise enough but as we said to him it’s not him that was the idiot.

fortunately no damage to DW but as she has had several heart problems I was worried about the effect, seems to be OK though.

as an aside, apparently the rumour about toilet paper was that it is manufactured in China and stock would dry up, all our toilet paper is manufactured in Australia so there will never be a problem as long as the idiots get their heads on straight.

• Like 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

DW went to a grocery store today and there was no toilet paper to be had. I was in another store, but never thought to look.

I wonder how long it will be before someone kills another just to be able to wipe their arse!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Toilet Paper Wars...................................no shortages here that I know of so come on down and get some. Have to warn you though

that the TP down here has a southern accent.

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

OK so quote does not want to work, I was trying to quote your monster birdie put.

In all my golfing years I have only ever had one birdie. Playing a par three hit a poor tee shot that fell well short and to the right of the green, it was a very early start 5.30am and I was still half asleep 8th hole son was in a hurry to get off to work, not a good frame of mind. Was fed up because I was having a monster round, nothing going for me, several three putts. Walked up to the ball with my pitching wedge, no set up as we were getting late and I hit the ball almost before I came to a stop, nice flight for a change hit the flag stick and dropped into the hole. Did not believe it, son who was on the green said it had gone in. With luck like that I did not want to push it so we walked back to the car park and drove home. My one and only birdie.??

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

An alternative strategy to combat the TP wars. Paper towels. A bit rougher you know where, but serviceable. The shelves still seem to be well stocked. And cheaper than a road trip to Alabama for "redneck" TP. Of course, could play round with Rad while in Dixie stocking up. However, the golf bag would take up valuable hoarding space in the back.

First cases of Covid-19 now confirmed here in Michigan. Oh noes! Better hit up the grocery store ASAP. Although leaving the house may be risky business. Are golf courses still safe?

• Like 1

Enough chatter about TP. Golf related. Anyone use graphite shafts in their SW? Wanting to lighten up in shaft weight compared to the traditional steel wedge shaft. But how much is YTBD. Been narrowing down my options on a new SW, but now racked with indecision on whether to consider graphite vs. LW (~115g) steel moving forward.

I ain't getting any younger. Each passing year seems to present ever increasing challenges in selecting the implements wielded.

• Like 1

@Fellaheen51 the DG115 is a good compromise IMO and blends in nicely with my set that have 85g steel shafts. I've not had the chance to swing a wedge with a specific graphite wedge shaft, only those equipped with graphite iron shafts which are too light IMO.
  • Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks buddy! The DG 115 is the a shaft I've tried in Cleveland's. Nary a graphite to found in any wedges at the LGS. Been demoing wedges the last month or better. Trying several of the usual suspects. Ping Glide (just OK), Cally MD (nope, a high toe thing), TM Hi-Toe Big Foot (ugly as sin, to expensive), a Cobra something or other, a Vokey (didn't feel at all "forgiving"). Really liked the CBX 2. Tried it out simultaneously with a CBX. Think the 2 felt a smidgen better, liked the sole design better. Outdoors, but off mats, so impossible to determine how it plays out in the wild. Probably pretty good from all accounts. But one never knows for sure until playing a few rounds with a club(s). The CBX was priced on close out, but not enough of a difference to matter in the grand scheme. Plus, I could order the CBX 2 1" long, 2* up per my usual spec. Really dislike like "wedge" shaft weights anymore, feel to ponderous. One of the reasons why I'm no longer using the RTX-3.

But been reading to much and perhaps over thinking the decision. Paralysis by analysis. Liquidated some implements of late, PayPal is flushed up, ready to order. Just decide and be done with it. Like it would make that big of a difference. Going to 54* though. Guessing that 95% of my SW shots are from non-sand lies. Got a feeling a bit stronger loft would help from distance (relatively speaking). Although may reluctantly require adding a LW into the mix. Have a bladey Cleveland 900 58* around to try out if need be. One of the buds is a maestro around the greens with the same club. Heretofore, lobs and I have not coexisted very well. Makes me quite nervous. LOL.

• Like 1

Just an opinion that I'll throw out there for you to chew on: I've got a feeling that a graphite wedge specific shaft will be really stiff compared to what we're used to in steel wedge flex DG. THink S400 kind of stiff.

Secondly, if these CBX wedges are real game changers, then maybe the right thing to do would be to go 54/60 with those heads. I played that combo with 588's back in the day and I got along just fine. I agree that the 54 is a great combo wedge loft if you're going to play the majority of your shots with a single club. That's what I did, reserving the 60 for bunkers and flops.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

If one has graphite in their irons I don't see why they can't go graphite in their wedges. My G25 iron set that I bought

from PD has the TFC189 graphite shafts in it 5 iron down to sand wedge. You have continuity this way so your "feels"

stay the same throughout the set. I think these shafts are 74 grams if I remember correctly; and mid launch.

I have actually played with this set very little thus far but I have had graphite shafted sand and lob wedges before

and they get through the sand and rough just fine. I wouldn't want wedges that feel drastically heavier than my irons

in any case.

SLED Gemini

@scomac2002. Your mention of 85g steel caused me to remember. My brother, that lives out of state, left his Ping K15's behind last year as a Michigan play set. They're hideously large, however they have LW steel A flex shafts in them. Fooled around with the 5 iron once last fall while playing. Surprisingly easy to swing and hit some decent shots with it. Although to short and wrong dot for my L/T usage. The shafts seem to be of appropriate weight, flexy without being whippy like A flex graphites that I've tried. Could live with them installed in a set I thought at the time. Perusing around, seems to be a shaft type that has disappeared.
  • Like 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)