2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

LOL Rad ain't ever seen you post such a long post. Now Stadler had it correct on his statement and like you guys know I have always said it. Bobby Clampett in his "new teaching" method has it correct in that it only matters in the hitting zone or delivery to the hitting zone. A bud of mine who has money to burn and will buy anything golf instructional related bought the discs. He told me that I had told him what that teaches many times. I told him he should have listened to me and save his money. Oh well you know the saying about a fool and his money

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Jut hit the frigging ball Fella find it and hit it again!!!!

I hate to think the thought I may have to reinvent mine after I heal up when ever that will be. I was released by the doctor on my shoulder yesterday. My therapist did my back evaluation yesterday and my therapy on it starts tomorrow. She is the same one that got my shoulder in shape. Come to find out I know her husband. He was assistant pro at my former course and we have played as partners in a couple of events. She does not really golf but knows the swing from being married to a Pro and her own experience. But I have been told by her and my Neurosurgeon that the back rebuild is going to be a long hard row to hoe. She has already cautioned me that I can not go gung ho on it as I did the shoulder. But most of the shoulder exercises we did I had been doing anyhow before I was hurt trying to get them to turn through a little faster. On silver lining in this cloud is the fact that I have practiced putting so much that I have basically gotten to putting like I did back in the day. Noticed the other day there is starting to be a little wear mark through the rust on the Santa Fe right in the center. In fact I have gotten tuned in to my putting so much I can literally putt with anything. I also rode with the guys Saturday in a little Dogfight and they played 3 with an alternate shot for the 4th ball and I was the 4th man putting. Won 2 side bets.

I wish golf was this easy. We'd all be scratch.

For the golfer who suffers from paralysis from analysis it is probably good advice to just empty the mind and hit the ball,

at least for a little while. Eventually though, the advice to just hit the ball isn't helpful because it doesn't address how to

control the golf ball; which is what golf is really all about; ball control.

It's somewhat akin to saying all that matters is what happens in the impact zone. It's a true statement and something I

have said many times myself. But to the golfer that wants to figure out how better to get to a good impact it offers no help at all.

The impact zone does not exist in isolation from the rest of the down swing.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

The complexity of golf, if you want it to be complex is very similar to my previous sport of judo. I can attest to my clubs competitive results and consider this was mainly because I kept the technique principle simple. I used to concentrate on what I considered three points of interest where as many instructors went through many more to achieve the same result.

At every championship our club entered we always won two or more first place, one championship at Crystal Palace London we won every title and also had places in most of them, one of those winners represented England in Judo at the first Olympic games it was included in, that was in japan and was included as their choice of sport. He did not win as japan won all but one and that was a dutch man Anton Gesink.

My point being that sometimes simplicity will win the day, it was how I always approached it and we always won I think because they were not over thinking the techniques.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Ha. Seems as I recall this being suggested once before. The problem, with increasing frequency, is that I've not been able to find the ball after hitting it. Wipes and swipes into the netherlands! So the next again is the 4th stroke. NTM, it's become rather.......embarrassing. When swing things become squirrelly, gotta figure a way out of whatever mess I've created for myself. All by my lonesome.

------------------------------

Anyhow. Got out yesterday afternoon for some solo practice at the local goat track. During the time when I knew the course wasn't going to be busy. My customary 12 holes (9 + 3 on the back mini loop, that returns in proximity to 9th tee to finish up). At times playing multiple balls on a hole, from differing distances depending on what club I wanted to hit, changing the position and lies as needed. Much improvement compared to what has been transpiring prior. Don't exactly now what I was doing differently, other than trying not to think much about swing. Allowed the backswing to simply happen, without thought of position. Slowed the swing down to what felt like a crawl, even adding a pause at the top, to sort of "set" before transitioning back down. Trying to reestablish a sense of timing in the swing. Began making much improved ball contact. Hitting it straight (most of the time). Back to a normal (high) trajectory. Even to the point of getting a bit cocky with several solid 6 iron shots from just beyond 150. That felt particularly sweet.

Progress? I hope so. At least a return from Pluto to some semblance of relative normalcy. YTBD how it will translate, the next time out in public. Easy to hit at least one decent golf shot when you have three opportunities at it. More problematic when you only have one.

------------------------------

Finally took delivery of the regular flex Dynalite XP shafts that are going in the ISI's. Heading to the bench shortly to begin the process of installation. Just the the 7i and W to start. For some testing before proceeding with the remainder of the set. Keeps a soft step option open in case I want to go that route. The expectation is the softer tip and regular flex should be of benefit compared to the z-z65's. Golf game is for sizzles, let's change some implements. Seems logical. In a grand Theory of Everything sort of way.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Brother @Fellaheen51; you know that I'm all for changing clubs when the ones that you're using aren't co-operating! If nothing else the project of building up new implements is rewarding even if the clubs make no difference to your game. I know that I'm looking forward to playing again tomorrow to see what a new day might bring with a different putter in hand.
---------------------
WE have dividers in the carts at the clubs now so that two folks from different households can ride together. Pretty standard stuff at this point for most courses at least those up here.
These dividers are clear plastic and are attached by Velcro and cords that go under the seat. A strip is taped to the ceiling of the sunshade and the divider is attached to that and then held in place with the cord at the bottom. What do you expect for $45 and a quick fix to deal with a hopefully temporary situation?
The problem is that these dividers are hot and if you're riding solo, no one wants to deal with it. They can be rolled up and snapped to the ceiling, but it's just far too easy to pull it down and fold it up in the basket or even place it under the seat! I kid you not, I found one under the seat one day sitting on top of the gasoline motor! What a brilliant idea that was! It's amazing what goes on in the evenings when the marshals are done for the day and the clubhouse manager has gone home...
It doesn't matter what you tell people, they'll do whatever they want especially if they figure that they can get away with it! Now, we're having to replace the tape because it's not sticking from being pulled off. Cords are disappearing as people undo the ties and just chuck 'em into the pond probably. I'm sure I'll hear about it if one gets sucked into a pump!
---------------------
Do you have the COVID Police at your golf course?
I'm not talking about bylaw officers or public health officials making the rounds. I'm talking about golf course customers who take it upon themselves to berate other customers who aren't living up to the protocols as they see it.
Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes it isn't. Either way, it's not the responsibility of a customer to enforce rules, that's up to the staff. One of the clubhouse girls was talking about it yesterday and a couple of incidents that she had with a customer telling another what he was doing wrong. In fact, yesterday a woman came out of the clubhouse and promptly told a group of men who were chatting that she didn't see any masks and she needed to pass by. The men all fell silent and looked at one another until one fellow spoke up and said: well I guess we've been told! The ironic part of all this was that a couple of hours later this same woman was sitting under the patio structure with 9 other women having something to eat and not a single one of them had masks on! I guess it was okay because no man was passing through...

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I agree it's best to keep things as simple as possible. However, if I am struggling with a particular aspect of my golf game, I'm

looking at 2 choices.....1, continue to struggle and get frustrated and settle for not playing as well as I would like to......or.........

2..set about to finding what my problem is and fix it and play better.

If anyone in the Grille is in possession of a simple way to play better golf, let's hear it. And don't post one liners, cliches and

useless truisms,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get specific and post things that are actually actionable.

SLED Gemini

Can't say that I've experienced any COVID police at a golf course. Anywhere for that matter. Most all patrons venturing inside the pro shop are wearing masks while transacting their business. There are signs at entrances requesting compliance. Seems to be the responsible thing to do. Feel that it's become my civic duty to mask up anywhere and everywhere when out in public. Although it comes come off quickly when I'm back outside. But remain ever cognizant of where I'm at in space while amongst the pubic. Social distancing is the new normal. If others are not using proper distancing protocols, that's between them. None of my business. Funny how the world has changed. I jockey for appropriate position all the time when around people. Backing away if necessary.

You're right though, a concern should have been brought to management and/or staff. It's not this person's responsibility, regardless of gender, to enforce any perceived "rules".

Cart dividers were a thing back in the spring when golf was beginning to open up. IMO primarily as a means to place two in a cart while still maintaining safety protocols. Didn't seem to last very long, three weeks maybe. Then disappeared. Everywhere we've been playing, two in a cart, no questions asked. Only carted once (solo) with one in place, they were kinda annoying. Was attached with bungy cords to the roof, slid it over as far as possible to move it out of the way.

The cup riser things (to prevent reaching in to retrieve one's ball) have disappeared as well. Some courses have ball washers and trap rakes, others one or the other. Our group has gotten to the point of leaving the pin in while putting as a matter of routine. All seems rather silly to me. Like I'm going to contract the Vid from touching a trap rack. The chemicals applied to the grass may pose a greater health risk. Anyway, I carry a ziplock of hand wipes in the golf bag. I'll use one periodically while playing (when I remember to). Being out on a golf course is the least of my concerns relative to all this. Haven't seen much evidence to suggest that surface contact is likely means for viral transmission. And what marginal risk that may exist can be mitigated by some common sense hand cleanliness. And not sucking your thumb over a bad shot.

• Like 1

Cart dividers were a thing back in the spring when golf was beginning to open up. IMO primarily as a means to place two in a cart while still maintaining safety protocols. Didn't seem to last very long, three weeks maybe. Then disappeared. Everywhere we've been playing, two in a cart, no questions asked. Only carted once (solo) with one in place, they were kinda annoying. Was attached with bungy cords to the roof, slid it over as far as possible to move it out of the way.The cup riser things (to prevent reaching in to retrieve one's ball) have disappeared as well. Some courses have ball washers and trap rakes, others one or the other. Our group has gotten to the point of leaving the pin in while putting as a matter of routine. All seems rather silly to me. Like I'm going to contract the Vid from touching a trap rack.Interesting! Everything that you have mentioned is still in place here. No common touch surfaces allowed as per the GCPA COVID-19 protocols. It's going to be like this for the remainder of the season and barring widespread vaccinations will likely remain in place for next season as well.

Rumour has it that large gatherings for either sport or concerts are unlikely to happen until 2021.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

@Conrad1953. Best I can offer is a litany of carefully crafted misconceptions, closely held biases and popular hearsay. You know, stuff I've read on the internet. Nary an absolute truism to be found. All actionable because I'm still trying to figure out this game of golf. Deciphering the facts from fiction.
As Groucho Marx once postulated: "Those are my principles and if you don't like them......Well, I have others."
  • Like 1

I remember Clampett being a disciple of 'The Golfing Machine" where the swing had like 84 components or something like that. And his swing and career fell apart shortly after that famous British Open 67/66 start and 78/77 finish.

• Like 1

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

You discounted the Charon effect and got mooned which caused you to become distracted. TSK TSK, now you can find World Destroyer Drivers

for $20 at Rock Bottom Golf.

SLED Gemini

Hmmm...isn't the World Destroyer that toy of Director Krennic?https://youtu.be/V8EDyD97TZo

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well done Fellameister. More than one line, not a cliche in sight and nary a useless truism. And quoting Groucho gets bonus points

for actionability. Q is sending you a signed, personalized World Destroyer Driver, made to your exact specs and with the words

"Happy Birthday Fella from Q" in custom graphics on the shaft.

SLED Gemini

"I see an ant"

Line of the day on the PGA Tour, lol.

Da Beast is becoming a drama queen.

SLED Gemini

I have not seen the first 3 episodes of Star Wars. I had to look up Director Krennic, lol. Apparently, he was a galactic golfer

and was focused on the completion of the star destroyer driver when he met his end at the hands of Darth Vader.

SLED Gemini

Played with an old buddy of mine yesterday. We play a round each year at a course on the Stockholm region, on the 19th hole sharing experiences since last year, this year mostly Covid talk. Anyways, the kind of guy that makes five strikes in a row bowling, did whatever he wanted to with a frisbee back in the days and played soccer in high divisions without being especially fast or strong. Had his first bucket of 20 range balls and his first round of golf for the year. Didn’t miss a fairway, didn’t miss many greens, not a single bad putt even though totally unfamilliar with the speed of the green. Jealous? Yes sir!

He’s the opposite as a golfing person from antman. Just grips ot and rips it, no Pluto there. And I havent heard him whining once.

I have a couple of once-per-year-round buddies not living in the neighbourhood . I highly enjoy those rounds but I always plays like crap, being anxious to perform.

• Like 1

Didn't understand what the hubbub was about until this morning. If Da Bad Man can get a boulder moved, why can't Da Beast get a little relief from killer ants?

Da Antman (Ha, that's a good one Hank) gonna outlive us by 60 years. Need to get me some of whatever he's using. Might be a path forward to shoot my age. And not have to play very well in order to do it. Is BDC starting to weird out a little bit?

------------------------------------

The restart of the Champions Tour (Ally Challenge) commenced yesterday and didn't know anything about it. Just 15 minutes up the road at Warwick Hills G&CC. Host course to the Buick Open for years. And reading about the opening round brought back a lot of memories of attending the Buick. Never was a problem scoring free tickets to the tournament, everyone seemingly had a connection to GM. My father worked there, always got free ducets. Earliest recollection heading to the tourney with him was back in the 60's, Julius Boros won (looking it up, '67). The last year was 2002, TW won that year. The crowds following Da' Man were massive. We attended on Friday, cut day, so we could watch the entire field. The sound of a golf ball being struck by a professional twenty feet away is uniquely different than anything us mere mortals can do.

On the atmosphere at the Buick, John Daly infamously said: "This is a great tournament to play in, it's a beer drinkers tournament". There's a lot of truth to that. The gallery was a bit unruly, especially latter in the afternoon once beverages had been consumed. They had beer tents setup everywhere, seemingly on every hole. Once we became of age, us buds would head to the Buick and drink our fair share. Hanging out in a tree grove, tent nearby, with a view of the 16th green and 17th tee. The 17th was where all the fun was at. A rowdy crowd long before that Phoenix Open (Waste Management) hole. The cacophony barely dying down when someone was on the tee. Some of the pros could handle it, others could not. If one was to step away, the noise and catcalls would get louder. Appalling, lacking in decorum, an official asking (pleading) the crowd to please quiet down. Was hilarious.

Anyways. Ernie Els had a HIO on the 17th yesterday. With no rowdy spectators around. Reading about it this morning prompted the nostalgic memories. From a very long time ago. And somewhat sadly, never to be repeated.

• Like 1

It is sad that all these great old courses have been rendered obsolete by advances in clubs, balls and training. Baseball had the good sense to attempt to keep accomplishments of the past relevant today by sticking with wooden bats and alterations to the pitchers mound and balls.

Before you know it tournament golf will be played on virtual simulators that consist of a long drive grid and a skateboard park that masquerades as a putting green complex. It will be the bast*rd child of long drive and putt putt surrounded by scores of intoxicated fans in a true stadium course.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Future simulator tournaments are a virtual certainty IMO. Held in a stadium or arena. The course possibilities would be endless. Any course in the world, a mix of the "best" holes, or entirely new ones that could be designed with CAD software and some keyboard skills. The infrastructure costs minimal, zero maintenance, setup and disassembly counted in a few days, no environmental impact. Want to modify distances, change the algorithms. Consider how close we are to that now, all that it will require is an expansion of the concept.

Likewise, could envision tournaments based on the Top Golf format. Scoring based on points rather than strokes. The number of facilities worldwide now 50+ and expanding. (Likely a virus hold for the moment.) The business model and format by all accounts successful. Marketed as a way to grow the game. Callaway is a major financial backer in the enterprise. They may very well be part of a future promotion of the concept, especially if there's money to be made. Plenty of room at the location near me to add stands surrounding the target zones. Already have a giant video display to follow the action.

Into the future, could envision an entire generation of golfers with their only exposure to playing golf being based on virtual reality . Then the leap becomes easy. Going to become a Brave New World one day.

• Like 1

Ya, relief from fire ants is one thing; relief from 1 ant is another LMAO. I guess you can't fault Da Beast for trying although

it didn't do his rep any good. Word must travel lightning fast out there.......from a similar spot Brooks, with the camera on him,

said to his caddy "I see an ant" as he walked around sizing up his shot. It was pretty funny as it was happening in real time.

I got busy and didn't watch much after that. Did anything else happen?

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

From what I read elsewhere this morning, the larger issue was his ball had landed up against a tree root (or branch) and was looking for relief from that. BDC saw some ants on the ground nearby, claimed they were fire ants (some obscure hazardous insect rule), and the rules official determined they were not. Did a drop test with his walkie talkie as a fire ant identifier. No dice. No relief. Couple of regular entomologists.

Think I'll keep the insect rule in my bag of tricks the next time I hit the ball behind a pine tree. "I spy bugs. Rule states I get relief from the hazardous area. Ten feet outta do it."

• Like 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)