Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I think I remember last year Sergio getting relief from fire ants at a tour event somewhere. They are angry little critters and biting machines.

I stay away from them on foot because they'll swarm you..............but I do like running over their mounds with the lawnmower.......that really pisses

them off.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

WE had several ant hills out at the farm. The critters were smart as they would only build a mound under a fence line, yet when they decided to move to the yard, anywhere was fair game. Like you I would do my routine kamikaze act by driving the mower over their mound; one, twice, three times a week! I figured that must just wear them out. Don't know whether it worked or not. They're probably still there antagonizing the new owner's tenant!

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Decent day on the course today. First time that I can recall having a perfect bogie day with exactly one extra shot per hole, each hole.

The new putter acquitted itself well with no three putts. Sadly, I had a number of par putts and missed them all. I guess all the putting mojo was with my playing partner Tom who one putted the first 7 holes in a row! That put him well on his way to his best game of the season with a 39.

I also had a good ay with my CBX SW with a number of nice pitches and chips, so I guess you could say the scoring clubs were what did it for me today rather than any great skill with ball striking. One thing that did come out of this was that I really need a club between my PW and my SW as that's probably close to a 40 yard gap!

-----------------

I was thinking on my way home from the course that I've lost about 4 balls this entire season. I can recall a time when I'd lose 4 balls a round! I think that I've got about 20 games in at this point and I'd still have half a box of balls left!

I bought a 6 dozen package of Noodle Long & Soft about 4 years ago and I'm still working my way through those balls. I might have a sleeve left beyond the tow that are in my bag. I guess that's one of the advantages of not hitting it very far anymore...

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I only took relief from dangerous animals once, maybe 10 ys ago. Ball landed inches from a ”ground wasps(translated from Scandinavian)” nest. A nasty kind of little angry wasps we have over here that stings like hell. Tournament administration knew about the nest so no problem. Have you guys had relief from worse guys than ants?

• Like 1

@scomac2002. Decent day on the course today. First time that I can recall having a perfect bogie day with exactly one extra shot per hole, each hole.The new putter acquitted itself well with no three putts. Sadly, I had a number of par putts and missed them all. I guess all the putting mojo was with my playing partner Tom who one putted the first 7 holes in a row! That put him well on his way to his best game of the season with a 39.I also had a good ay with my CBX SW with a number of nice pitches and chips, so I guess you could say the scoring clubs were what did it for me today rather than any great skill with ball striking. One thing that did come out of this was that I really need a club between my PW and my SW as that's probably close to a 40 yard gap!Congrats Brother Sco on the consistent round for the day. Always consider playing to bogey something of a benchmark for my game. The putting prowess must have been rewarding, considering the difficulties you've posted about with the flat stick in hand. Hope it continues for you. Making a few putts (minimizing the three putts) covers up a lot of sins traversing to the green. Keep it going. Golf is fun!
See that you are now using a HB #6. Ironic. The last time I was at the LGS, while waiting for the Mrs., was in the putter area rolling some of the inventory. They had a #6 there and rolled in a several test putts across the carpet. Felt really nice. Liked the mid-mallet head size and shape. They were on sale also, got a little itchy. Then the Mrs. arrived to tell me she was ready to leave. Don't need another putter, not going to spend $$ on one. But sometimes worthwhile to have different options, just because. Have snooped around on the bay subsequently. Always liked mid-mallets. Used a Rossie II for years. Sold off a very clean Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5 when I got the Tyne. Wished I had that one back.
Would think that your PW is ~45*. Yeah, quite a yardage gap to a 56* SW. Either have to finesse a PW or muscle a SW from those in-between distances. Neither typically achieving the intended outcomes. I use the GW more frequently than the PW. Sort of how my yardages play out. From 100+, 9 iron. From 90-70, GW. Then SW. The PW seems to have a relatively narrow range for usage. Plus have some measure of confidence with the GW in hand. When I hit it straight.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Yes, congrats on the good play! I can't remember the last time I had a round with no 3 putts.

My Ping U wedges at 50 degrees are very handy wedges to have. I just consider them another in the line of loft progressions;

since my PW is 46 and my SW 54. I have become a fan of the set wedges and plan to get rid of my blade wedges.

SLED Gemini

Thanks for the congrats, but truth be told, it's not really worthy of recognition. That said, my golf has been a frustration this year and it's nice to once in a while feel as though I'm playing at the game rather than drag myself, kicking and screaming, through a round of misadventures and faulty executions.

The loss of gap to my SW has been a bit of a puzzlement all year. I hit the thing a mile high and maybe carry all of 60 yards. It's like 15 yards suddenly vanished! There's no point trying to step on it because that gear no longer exists. The good news is that I can swing fairly full for nice high pitches up to 50 yards, so there's some upside potentially to closer in shots. It works quite well opening the face just a titch for less than full shots. Problem is as currently configured I'm in no man's land from say 60-90 yards out. A 75 yard club would be a godsend so probably going to see if I can source a set matching AW for <$100.

Regarding the putter: I felt particularly comfortable with the short comebackers in the 3-4 foot range. Hence the absence of 3 putts. The extra head weight was welcome too with my lags which also helps with putting stats.

Still working at getting more comfortable hitting the new to me irons off the deck. My tendency is still to catch them thin, but that should come. I'm becoming a fan of the 5 iron off the tee. It's really a 4 iron going by traditional lofts, but I hit this thing pretty well. Funny part is that I have always had success with 4 irons. I think on Monday that I will put the 7W back in the bag in place of the 4H as they both go about the same distance, but a much higher trajectory with the 7W which is preferrable on approaches.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

@scomac2002. Don't know what the shipping costs to your doorstep would be, but here's a set A wedge:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Taylormade-Speedblade-50-AW-Gap-Wedge-Graphite-Regular-flex/154029884836?hash=item23dce585a4:g:k68AAOSwKodbcdiO
Several A wedges listed on the bay. Steel and graphite. You may have checked them out already.
If I'm looking at the right SB irons, the A wedge head appears different than the PW. More blade like v. CB, not seeing a speed pocket. Like Conrad, prefer the GW to be the same as the rest of the set. A consistency of feel, shaft used, loft progression thing. But in this case, there's apparently some difference. How it translates with the PW.....??? Opening the idea that a non-set GW could fill the slot. GW = SW vs. GW = PW. Unsolicited commentary aside, just throwing it out there.
4 iron......."Beast" mode.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately ksouth9 doesn't ship to Canada, so that's a non-starter. Strange because they used to. I think that I've purchased from them in the past.

The shipping is brutal! typically between $40 and $50 USD by the time you include customs brokerage, duties and taxes. This is using eBay's Global Shipping Policy which has been in place for a couple of years now. Not many sellers still use USPS which is more like $20-$30 because they don't collect the vig up front and these sorts of items will pass through customs without attracting attention in my experience

You're correct that the GW/SW/LW Speedblades are blade like rather than CB like. Cobra was doing the same thing with their F6/F7/F8 lines. It was taking the progressive idea to the next logical step I suppose.

I have thought about filling the gap with a non-set GW in graphite to open up the possible options. I know where there is a Glide 2.0 in A flex graphite that could do the trick, but it would set me back over $100 as well so I may as well keep looking for the matching club.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

That's impressive! My course is littered with hazards, along with narrow fairways and smallish greens. Heck, you can hit the ball in the fairway and still lose a ball. If you can play 18 without losing a golf ball, you are playing some good golf.

ps: I had my best round of the season last Friday...shooting a 75 from the middle tees (par 70), and not losing a golf ball. I think I was happier about not losing a golf ball than shooting a 75, lol.

• Like 1

@Sean2. That's a great round of golf. Congrats to you as well. You and Conrad should play a virtual round of golf to determine the winner of the coveted "Grille Cup". The rest of us can be the virtual peanut gallery.
One facet of my play that I strive for every time out. Not lose any balls. Not because I don't have more (although dislike losing my primos), but as not to incur a penalty stroke. Same for OB's. Eliminating these mistakes sure has a way of impacting the scorecard. Lousy shots are going to happen. But when I can find the ball and hit it again, maybe the next one won't be.
I like playing golf balls (of my identifiable brand) that have some scuff marks on them. Look a bit tattered. That's a ball that's been in the bag for awhile and knows how not to got lost. REALLY dislike parting company with a gamer. A truism.
  • Like 2

@Sean2 let me add my congrats as well on your best round of the season! That's a score that I don't even dream of. My best score is an 81 and that happened all of once. It took me years to get that one and it was just a fluke as much as anything.
I can remember rolling my eyes reading of new players that were at the game a mere 18 months wondering when they were going to break 80? I recall wondering why so impatient? They were already ahead of 95% of the people that had ever teed a ball up by breaking 90 regularly!
  • Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Guess put this one under 'Dangerous Insects.'

Eons ago I was playing with some buds and we were all in the middle fairway waiting. I ran over to this huge tree to take a whiss. Par 3 is close to tree and out of corner of my eye could see foursome, couple laughing and couple other gesturing nother verbal. Now I am no centerfold material but definitely not laughable. Anyhoo went about my business when just happened to look up and about two feet from me at eye level was this HUGE paper wasp nest. They are shaped like a strawberry and will chase you for a par 5 if you piss them off. I quietly finished and didn't do the 37shake I usually do. Stealth mode backed up and ninja walked to fairway where buds were like how come the buggered eyes. Told them and off course laughs abounded. Fast forward to the parking lot and the foursome was there apologising they said knew nest was there but did not see me until to late. I thought that was mighty big of them to wait around, told them so and we all had lots of laughs.

• Like 2

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Uh, you have 2 in here who had teaching pros for dads and grew up on a golf course (Stu and Reasy). If any 2 are gonna

play for the Grille cup I imagine it would be them, lol. As we know, Stu played the pro circuit and Reasy.........well..................

I think he can play.

I think if we ever manage to pull off a Grille get together it's likely the rest of us would be watching them hit balls on the range.

SLED Gemini

Intent was not to exclude anyone. Was only thinking on the quick of who had posted a really good score of late. Have no knowledge of Reason's history, but figured he was a very good golfer. Of course Stu has had a lifetime of major game. No doubt a lot could be learned by observing the two of them. No offense to anyone else not mentioned, simply an oversight.

• Like 1

I have a question for my esteemed fellow Grillesters. Do any of you use an inversion table for lumbar spine decompression? We bought

one and it arrived and we'll be assembling it today. If any of you, or anyone you know, is using one I'm curious how well it is working

and if you have any pro tips on using it.

Cobi and I both have been to see a neuro surgeon and we both have cervical (neck) and lumbar (lower back) radiculopathy; which

is basically a fancy word for some bulging and/or worn discs. Cobi also has some spinal stenosis (narrowing) but, fortunately, it may

never get bad enough for her to need surgery to fix it. Ha, you get old, things start wearing out.

Anyway, we have an old fashioned over the door traction device the doc prescribed that we are using to decompress the cervical

spine. It's easy to set up and use and it's really helping. The inversion table looks like a whole other animal, lol. It comes replete with

all sorts of warnings and it looks like you need to ease into using it very slowly. If anyone has experience with one I'm all ears and

thanks in advance for any tips you can offer, or experiences you can share.

EDIT

The thought just popped into my head................remember hanging upside down on the monkey bars when we were kids? We WERE

like monkeys swinging all around. Not now! I can't remember the last time I was upside down. Probably on a ride at Disneyland in

the 80s.

SLED Gemini

Timely comments re: inversion tables @Conrad1953 as I locked up my SI joint after my tee shot on the 4th tee. I knew that I did something to it, but kept stretching and walking and finished my 9 albeit in less than ideal shape. I think the drive home locked it up for good, so took a couple of Robaxacett and then went out with DW for lunch at a local winery. The glass of wine did nothing and I'm really off kilter so I guess I'll be seeing how it goes with a fortuitous physiotherapy appointment Wednesday morning.
AS far as the table goes, I don't have any experience with one, but I know that the superintendent at the golf course has used one in a professional setting with a chiropractor to good effect. Hope it works out for you.
First major back episode I've had in well over a year, so hope that it clears relatively quickly. I suppose that this is just par for the course. I started out today par/par/par for the first three holes and then oops! Ended up shooting in the normal score zone as a result. Can't get mad, just one of those things that happens when you least expect it!

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks Sco. Once I got it assembled we each gave it a try. Man, I'm not a lightweight kid any more for sure, lol. We both tried it

at the first slot past horizontal (about a 30 degree inversion). All I can say is we can only take this in small doses and are gonna

have to ease into this slowly over time. No way we are going completely upside down at this stage of life.

We'll start at the 30 degree mark for about 2 minutes 3 times a day and gradually increase the time and amount of inversion as

we get used to it.

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

@ Conrad: I have a Teeter Hang-ups.. Have used it a couple times a week for several years. I do 3 minutes in the morning, and again in the evening on Monday,Wednesday and Friday,. Have not used it for a while and wont until i start golfing again. This is my 2nd one. I got one years ago,when he first started advertising. I have upgraded to this one. Like it a lot. Easy to move,no stress at all to get upright or any angle in between. It will help you.

Just start out slow. If i remember,they suggest a minute inverted to start and slowly work up to the three minutes or until you feel the muscles relax.

Enjoy it !

• Like 1

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Thanks Bill. I figured someone in here has used or uses an inversion table. The neuro surgeon suggested we get one. I've

watched some videos online. Every one says start slow just like you say so that is our plan.

SLED Gemini

Wow, Stu and Reasy, I just saw that Isaias has regained strength into an 85mph hurricane and is pounding the coasts

of the Carolinas. Be safe!

SLED Gemini

@Rad Just use it together, always if possible. Even after you get used to using it. Safety first.

Yeah and just like the commercial you'll be jumping in the air and clicking feet together in no time. Shazzzzzzzam.

• Like 1

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Been quiet in here for a couple days. Everyone gone golfing?

BDC snaps a head off a driver like it's attached to a toothpick. And a hubbub ensues in Tour Talk. Yawn.

It's Da' Beast. What do you expect. TXXXX shafts can only be expected to remain intact for so long in his punishment of the club. Good thing he gets $500 freebies. Us??? SOL.

• Like 1

Been quiet in here for a couple days. Everyone gone golfing?Na, layin' low. Back has been pretty sore since Monday. DW is on holiday so she's not too impressed with my timing as she wanted to get the garden shed painted while she was off.

Went out tonight to a local eatery for our first meal out since all this foolishness got started. Told the server that we were there two days before the lockdown started in March and that was our last meal out until tonight which is close to 5 months now. Walked down to the marina and had fish and chips on the dockside patio -- delicious as always -- life is good!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)