Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Went out to the shop early early this morning to get some practice clubs. I really do not want to practice a lot with my beloved 588 because it is getting worn. I was looking and found a rusty 900 series Cleveland 56* along with the matching 60. They had to be yard finds because they were very rusty. I threw them in the practice bag. Man I hit some really spinner flops with the 56*. In fact flew 2 in the hole about 30 yards out. Threw the 5 and 8 irons from my old man's set of FC-4000s to bump and run with Ran 2 in with the 5 iron. Man those old FCs hit pure. Putted some with the Rusty Scotty. My guys were talking crap and my Pro/ co owner made a bet. Put me on the fringe on every green in regulation and let me go. Yep they jumped on that. Ha ha got every one up and down for "par" on the front. They knew I was only going to play 9. WOW $5 bet which I donated to their beer fund since they were playing the back and it was already getting hot and humid. Oh BTW the fringe shot was the furtherest point from the stick. I had some doozy lies on that course. But yep I am doing ok

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Coming back to this today, I have been mulling over @Conrad1953's comments about the swing. You're correct, I don't have much if any forward press on my irons. I think I did at one time, but the upright shaft is likely something that has leaked into my swing as a result of playing vintage irons with negative bounce. I remember a number of years ago reading about Tom Watson's practice routine and I began using a old 3 iron as a practice club in the early spring to get my swing grooved. The thought process was that if I could groove a 3 iron from the turf all other irons would be a piece of cake. It worked except I couldn't hit my modern irons at all! I was hitting everything fat! Before long I had a nasty bout of tendinitis.
Still pondering these graphite shafted irons. They can't be as bad as I imagined them to be on first pass. Granted, I missed every one pulling off the ball, but that's on me and over swinging. The shaft extensions and new grips are on their way so I think I'll just go ahead and build them up and see what sort of difference that makes. They might be something I have to grow into from the beginning of the season. They weren't exactly free so I may as well give them a good going over before giving up. In for a dime, in for a dollar or so they say.
Located an Adams Tight Lies 2.0 5W to match my 3W & 7W, so I'm tempted to pick that up to fill out the set and provide options for different setups. I think I just like buying golf gear about as much as I like playing. The group yesterday was commiserating about where they acquire their gear and two of them are avid thrifters. Bill has been instrumental in updating the club's rental sets as he brings us many of his thrifted clubs that he doesn't keep for himself. They mentioned at new place in town that I might have to check out at some point as it's supposed to have lots of senior oriented clubs. I chuckled when my playing partners all panned the idea of senior flex shafts saying that you should stick with stiff. I didn't bother to point out that the M flex graphite shafts in my Speedblades are deflect less than the R flex steel shafts in my Burner Plus. I think that they would have been surprised to find out that I'm playing senior in all my woods.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just thought that I'd throw up a comparison pic of my two iron sets.

20200719-084703.jpgAs you can see there's not a lot of difference. Slightly thinner soles and less offset with the Speedblades.

I weighed them and they're within + or - 10g per club compared to my 5 hybrid or the Burner Plus irons! It's got to be in my head?

[Added] Just compared the 7 iron with DW's 6 iron on the scale to get two clubs relatively the same length and both with graphite shafts. DW's Callaway Edge 6i (w/55g shaft) are 320g. My 7i (w/55g shaft) is 380g! WTF? 60g difference in head and grip?

No doubt the new irons feel quite a bit different, but I'll be darned if they should swing that much different with only 10g difference in static weight. Once they're extended they should weight almost the same as the Burner Plus. I was actually shocked to discover that the 5i was actually 10g heavier than my '09 Rescue 5 hybrid. Makes me think that those Matrix shafts are appreciably more than 55g or constant weight or something different about them.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thought Conrad didn't a good job articulating several points in response to your "debate". Was under the impression that golf swing was once taught as "swing every club the same" . But that's certainly not the case. Swing upwards through the impact zone, lead shoulder pointed skywards, seems to be the modern swing m.o with a driver. Especially with the big hitters on tour (watching the Tony Finau video Reason posted prior). Compared with a JN vid, using persimmon, was more level across the shoulders. Not comparing myself to JN, but that something I've noticed when playing wood. The swing used with the modernist D doesn't work so well when playing wood. Seemingly keeping my shoulders more level to the ground. Adapting swing to the gear? I guess. Contrast to the iron swing which is down and through the ball. Yeah, preferred swing style if one is comfortable executing it. But a sweeper, I'm likely to take a divot the size of the proverbial beaver pelt, decelerate the club head, and the ball goes nowhere. Unacceptable. Noticed that a well executed iron shot just bruises the crown of the grass blades, not really taking a divot. Matching the implement to the swing gives me something of a compromise position. Modern sole design with camber and leading edge, modest bounce characteristics, thinner soles, so that when I miss (which is often) and take more divot than typical, the head still travels through the hitting zone with some authority to advance the ball. No, the divot doesn't always occur after the ball is away unfortunately, A recreational golfer's iron swing.

The big rub I've had with irons is having to adapt my setup to the iron. Took a long time to realize this. The i20's were the first irons with what I would call more modern, wider, higher bounce soles. And how I sat up with them, swung the club, made a difference with how they performed. Could hit some very good shots, or the thinned miss just as easily. As I've mentioned, called it playing the Ping bounce. Pronounced forward press (to get the sole in correct position), swing with a steep A of A down and through the ball. But that's not in my comfort zone for "swinging my swing". Having to manipulate head and handle into a certain position at setup, is adding one more aspect to the swing variables. Then the Hogans came into existence and lo and behold could simply sole the club and go. Didn't really understand why they seemingly were easier to hit in some respects, for an iron that was supposedly more demanding. Then realization occurred, they did not require this pre-shot position fussiness. And as I moved forward with their replacements, a design attribute that was importance. Was through with adapting my swing to the implement, the implement should be harmonious with how I prefer to swing the club. And move on to the multiplicity of issues once the motion of swing is underway.

Could this have been uncovered during a fitting. Perhaps. Although I'm more than a bit skeptical beyond uncovering the basics. Especially if the fitting occurs in a bay, hitting off a mat. After a point, all shots become similar. One becomes accustomed to "playing the mat". The real acid test comes when one is playing off grass and the sole/turf interaction comes into play. NTM, a fitted set, any set, requires a certain adaptation period that takes time. How does one know if a selection offers L/T playability without a time based evaluation? Some may be able to know right away. Takes me awhile to become "familiar" with a new implement. And I suspect that may be the case with most recreational golfers as they adjust to the feel of "new" clubs. To the best of my knowledge, a money back guarantee doesn't come with a new 'fitted" set if they don't play quite as sweet 6 months out.

My two farthings.

Good luck with the continued evaluation of the TM's. Like you, I'm more than a bit fussy with getting the lengths right, installing familiar grips, before a a determination of playability is fully realized. Maybe even have the lies checked and adjusted as needed. Taking care of the small details can make a difference.

As to the buds and their stiff shafts. Whatever. Continue walking to a different beat. I know it's become wearisome playing with the tip firm, stiff flex z-z65's in the ISI's. Why I'm looking forward to getting the R flex, soft tipped Dynalites installed. Even thinking that I may SSx1 the 8 iron to further soften them up a touch, see how they feel and play. Before proceeding with the full reshaft (6 - PW in the short term, really all that's necessary).

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

The real acid test comes when one is playing off grass and the sole/turf interaction comes into play. NTM, a fitted set, any set, requires a certain adaptation period that takes time. How does one know if a selection offers L/T playability without a time based evaluation? Some may be able to know right away. Takes me awhile to become "familiar" with a new implement. And I suspect that may be the case with most recreational golfers as they adjust to the feel of "new" clubs. To the best of my knowledge, a money back guarantee doesn't come with a new 'fitted" set if they don't play quite as sweet 6 months out.Thanks for that reminder @Fellaheen51. It's prophetic that you would mention your Hogan Apex experience. I remember quite well when I first took out the Apex + that I bought (on your suggestion ) that I couldn't make any sort of decent contact either until I figured out that I had to setup off of the hosel. Once I did that and started to get consistent center contact I found out that those irons had a lot of wallop in them with that big cut muscle in the middle.
Who knows; if I put all the various clubs that I've struggled with this year in one bag I could just find out that they might actually play pretty good together following a suitable adjustment period.
Nah, probably just wishful thinking...

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Speaking only for myself, but +/- 10 grams is within the margin of error range for no discernible difference. If you wanted to fuss with the club weight some, can always try adding lead tape just below the grip to weight them up some. Tried it with the graphite 7 iron back in the spring, but didn't notice much of a difference. Then again, ran out of tape after adding only about 8 grams. I'd like to get some 1" = 2 grams stuff to add 20 grams to the shaft to test.

The reference used for adding lead tape on a shaft trick if your interested:https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1222236/lead-tape-adding-to-shaft-rather-than-head/p1

• Like 1

That's what I mean. 10g is nothing! It's a third of an once! It's just that they're different clubs with different shafts that load differently. I haven't made clean enough contact with one yet to really know how they feel on a well struck shot. No doubt those slots will have an impact on feel too.

The fact that they were short with jumbo grips to boot doesn't help. That's probably a bigger difference in itself than static weight, even if the weight difference was material!

-------------------

Just for sh*ts and giggles this morning I did an online fitting for a TM SIM driver. The tool fitted me in a 60g R flex shaft even with my pathetic 125 yd 7 iron carry. Pretty strange because whenever I did an 'N' Flight fitting on Ping I was always fitted to a soft R shaft in driver. Worst part was that even with inputting ball flight info the tool still chose a mid launch low spin shaft option rather than a mid-high launch mid spin option which I know I need. The R might be legit depending upon the shaft's properties, but it's pretty bad when you know up front that the algorithm has it wrong. The only way you would really know is to hit a bunch with trackman or similar and collect the true numbers.

My league convenor has an SIM Max that he got before the season started. I haven't looked all that close at it, but I do know that it has the blue Ventus shaft which means it's an R. Ed probably hits his tee ball 160 or so with driver. It's nice a straight and always in the fairway, but it's not long for a $700 driver. He doesn't hit it very high either which would make one think that he is a classic A flex candidate, but that's not what he's got. Who knows, he could have been fitted and that's the combo that worked best for him.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

As the saying goes, it never rains but it pours. Booked my game for this week, went to the doctors on a routine visit this morning and as I was walking to the car after the visit I had a pain in my lower back and now cannot walk upright. Somehow I have a pinched nerve in the lower back that is making walking very difficult. Perhaps I am not destined to swing a club again, who knows.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Tough to like that post @tolmij. Hope the back trouble passes quickly.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I was perusing some old threads on the Rapture V2s and found a few of your old posts on them from back in the 2008-2010 time frame.

Boy, how time flies. I was playing G10s back in 2008 and when the Rapture V2s came out I lusted for a set but the price was so high. I

bought my current set 4-U 3 or so years ago for $400 and then bought the SW and LW when good ones showed up on eBay. The LW is

hard to find but I lucked into a brand new one 2 years or so ago for $100 shipped. It even had my favorite Golf Pride NDMC grip on it in red

and black. I don't think the seller really knew what he had cause he could have easily gotten $150 or more for it. Brand new ones are rare.

My LW is still new; a virgin who has not hit a ball yet

img-0786-jpg.jpg

I'll eventually use it but so far I haven't wanted to get it dirty or get a mark on it.......I bought it to use it so I'll

get over my OCDness about it being perfect and soon enough it will see a course.

I put my Rapture V2 8 iron side by side with my G25 8 iron. The V2 sole is wider but the G25 is longer from heel to toe and is

actually a larger overall head. I had not compared them before and was a little surprised as the G25 has the rep of being a

smallish G series head. The Rapture head is the one on the right with black paintfill in the top pic and the one on the left in

the bottom pic. At address they look pretty much the same other than the Rapture V2 head has a darker finish and a slightly

thicker topline. The G25 is the one with the black graphite shaft.

I guess I did this to reassure myself that the Rapture V2 irons are about the same size as the G series irons and not as

monstrous as the K15, Karsten and G Max irons, lol.

img-0777-jpg.jpg

img-0783-jpg.jpg

• Like 1

I was told roughly the same but I never have been able to do that successfully. Thats a swing thought related to “get your hands before the club”(called something else in Scandinavian) and shaftlean. I have been to numerous pros over the years and noone was really capable of learning that to me. Its a little like when I started windsurfing in the 80’s and guys told me to get the sail forward to get wind. Easier said than done. I have settled for a shallower swing that produces straight shots but i lose miles in distance. Guess its might have to do with my physique. I always had a strong upper body and back, still bench presses decently but my hands are quite small and not comparatively strong. I always had a problem with one handed backhands in tennis and squash but my forehand is strong. One of my pros suggested that the golf swing was like a backhand with left arm and well... thats not my strongest part bodily. And to me that seems to connect with the “parneviks”-hands forward-shaftlean concept. The normal comment is like “yeah but watch the LPGA players they are not lumberjacks but hit it miles”. Thing is, I think still I beat most of them in number of push-ups although weighing 40 pounds more than most of them but I guess Laura Davies could easily crush me in a handshake.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hit it, only minty fresh (virginal?) once. It's just a LW. Realistically, how often you gonna use it? A couple times a round? Play a beater. Hang the V2 on a wall, admire its purity of essence. Bide your time, let it appreciate in value, sell, profit. Parlay proceeds towards a YTBD something else that will undoubtedly surface to entice. If it were me, which it isn't, but if it was.

Seriously though, that V2 LW is buff.

Furthermore, to reinforce your observation. The V2's look svelte compared with the aforementioned Ping Jumbos. To these eyes, from afar, this early in the morning. We're here to offer reassurance.

That's the rub with trying to find reasonably suitable additions (or fills) to older implements. They tend to be expensive relative to the original acquisition cost. Been browsing for a ISI SW to add to the play set. Either the S2 (54.5*) or the harder to find S3 (57*). Saw a BeNi S2 in what I would generously label as GUC, and it was BIN listed for nearly what I have in the entire set. Have a hard time wrapping my head around that. Considered a green dot S2 steel (S) version but decided to be patient and bide my time. Continue browsing for a nickel model. Perhaps one will show up from a seller not knowing what they have. That also escapes the last second "snipers".

Not like I NEED a wonky SW. No idea if I'd even be able to hit the thing. What's da bounce? More of a matter of...you know...set harmony.

• Like 1

Brother @tolmij. Hoping the latest setback is of short duration. You've certainly had a go of it for some time now. Here's to a speedy recovery.
FYI. If you're going to pinch a nerve, have it occur before you head into the doctor's office. Not while leaving. Immediate diagnosis, no return visit needed. Just sayin'.

Not like I NEED a wonky SW. No idea if I'd even be able to hit the thing. What's da bounce? More of a matter of...you know...set harmony.@Fellaheen51, I thought you were a fan of the Hogan Special Sand Iron? May not be set harmony brand and model wise, but could make a case for set harmony timeline wise.
I'm thinking that you're close to a bag for all seasons here with the ISI's, V-Steel fairways, Hogan Special SI and the modern Ping big dog and putter.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well...yeah....the Hogan SI is a good one. But have this totally contrived notion that Hogans should be played with Hogans, Pings with Pings. Classically speaking. A one brand bag concept that would never be considered for the modernist set. You're right though, the case for a bag for all seasons could be made. Adding the 85029 Anser for a dash of way back retro. The singular implement that started this descent into madness.

Gotten to the point of snooping around for Ping ISI Tour woods. The laminated ones with the clear plastic piece in the sole. Good thing they remain on the expensive side for decent examples, to act as a deterrent. What a golf club sicko! They look kinda cool though:

unadjustednonraw-thumb-1b17.jpg

• Like 2

Laura is one big strong muscular girl not fat but muscular. I have played golf with her before she loves to gamble when she is over here. She is one fun humorous person with her dry wit. Back when I played with her I could still hit a ball but not past her. She laughed and said " you might hit it past some of those dilly dally girls but I ain't no dilly dally" She is one funny person

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

As you know well, the search is part of the fun; in some cases most or even all of the fun. Patience is definitely rewarded for those

who keep up the search and hold out for what they really want. I have found that settling is not good in these matters. I have a

few old Cobra wedges on hand in fair condition that I "settled for" and paid too much for, wanting to complete a set. Those wedges

now offend me because they're beaters and they remind me of my own idiocy and impatience.

Now, for the important ego driven stuff.................... thanks for your willingness to support my pursuit of proving the Rapture V2 irons

are a glorified G series iron and not in the Sasquatch series of irons.......and especially, thanks for your assurance in concluding they

are, indeed, a glorified G iron and are not walking around in the woods outside the Seattle city limits hoping to be seen but not seen.

Strange day today on the links. Ever had a round where you thought you played pretty well, but the score just didn't add up? The problem is that the score added up to too much!

All parts of the game worked at points, but then didn't at other points. Two three putts sabotaged what felt like a good putting round. A couple of bladed pitches derailed a very nice effort with the short game. Once again it was the long clubs that failed me with complete butcher jobs on a couple of holes, but then on a couple of other holes I striped them... As my playing partner Bob said: You're consistent in your inconsistency!

The extensions and grips arrived while I was golfing, so I have that job to work at this week. DW wants to play golf while she's on holiday, so we're going to the range this weekend to get the rust off. She hates going to the range, but it's a far better option than trying to play cold for the first time in a couple of years. That will give me an opportunity to hit these new irons a bit to get a feel for them in a more appropriate set-up for me. Who knows. I'm beginning to think that a lesson or two maybe in order.

One of the fellows I was playing with has this beautiful swing. He was a fairway finder all day. Not long, but clean controlled contact all game. You could teach off of Vern's swing it was so simple and so pure. Best looking swing that I've seen in an amateur in a while. He's in his late 70's or early 80's. Blew his shoulder out a couple of years ago and is finally back to playing. Plays with only 6 clubs: driver, 4, 6, 8, PW, putter. Never takes a practice swing. Hits his next shot while you're still walking to your ball. Nicest guy you'd want to meet and a joy to play with!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Two comments on this post.

1 No I have never had a round where I think I have played well? just have not played quite as poorly.

2. The joy to play with person should be bottled and saved as I do not remember many times that I have played with anyone like that. Usually my regular group played together because it was convenient. One would swear and smack his club into the ground after every shot, one stood there shaking his head and curse under his breath, the other played that poorly he made me look good and we spent half the round looking for his ball.

My games now are with DW driving the cart and penalising me if I do not stay happy, keeps me honest.

As I have possibly said before, I stopped playing competitions when a player in our Saturday group took to a cart with his club because of a poor fairway shot.

My initiation to golf was with a factory social club golfing section, they were all friends before I joined and some were part of the judo club I ran and some were part of the snooker club we played in so it was a good cohesive group, imagine my reaction when we moved to Australia and started playing in club competitions, I could not believe the poor behaviour.

Anyway I enjoy reading the Grille golfing exploits, back to normality as it should be. Someone needs to win loads of cash so we can all get together.?.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

@scomac2002. "Strange day today on the links. Ever had a round where you thought you played pretty well, but the score just didn't add up? The problem is that the score added up to too much!"
All too frequently unfortunately. Have those days when I felt like I played the ball fairly well from the tee to proximity of the green, but add up the score and it's the same as it ever was. And know where I bleed strokes, ineffective short game. The yanked wedge from 60 yards off target, the bladed chip that screams across the green, the cursed three putt (or worse). Blows up a scorecard. Might play half way decently the first 9, then the blow up hole (or two) occurs on the second. And you begin to feel the mental focus slipping away. Stating the obvious, it's a very difficult game requiring some measure of proficiency in multiple facets in order to play and score well.
The curse of the bogey recreational golfer I suppose. About all that can be expected given the lack of meaningful practice, never seeking out instruction to get rid of bad habits, rarely go to the range to work on swing things. Rather just play. Likely as "good" as I'll ever be.
Receive just enough positive reinforcement to keep trying. At least we have our "Vern's" to make the pursuit a pleasurable one.

• Like 2

I looked up the last update of our handicaps from the league statistician last night just to see where Vern stood in the handicap hierarchy. I was stunned to discover that he had one of the higher spots in the league, routinely shooting in the mid 50's for 9 holes based on posted scores. How is this possible with a swing like that? I don't keep track of what my other playing partners are doing as a rule. I have yet to keep score this year. I just focus on what I'm not doing correctly. Funny thing was with yesterday I'd just watch Vern step up to the ball and split the fairway time after time with that beautiful repeatable swing. Maybe I caught him on a good day? The fact that he's a lefty maybe made it stand out because I was watching him from behind thinking man that's just perfect! The whole experience made me harken back to something that Reasy spoke of recently with respect to swing videos. we're all conscious of how we look and yet to another's eyes there are good things that one can glean from watching someone else swing the club. Such was the case with Vern and me.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Your post above brings to mind something that my father would often mention, early on when I was taking up the game. "Watch other golfers who are better than you. How they swing, how they go about the business of playing. You'll learn a few things." That's what I do. Often find myself watching another. Heck, sometimes it may be on and adjacent hole if I think the person has some game.

Don't know how prevalent this is. Whether other players are more focused on their own game and don't pay much attention, in a comparative way, to their own. A relative newcomer to the bud's group this year is a very good golfer. Shot 78 last week while playing together, and he thought his game was a "little off". He's carted up with me on several occasions this year. (Like to think that I may be good company. Ha.) Find myself watching him go about his business of playing. Maybe something will sink in.

• Like 2

I remember a game probably 10 years ago now where my buddy Dave and I were playing our normal Monday morning game at the goat track we frequented. We were first off that morning and by about the forth hole a single caught up to us. WE asked if he wanted to play through and he said no he was fine, but he wondered if he could like join us as a threesome. We said sure.

He told us that he had retired the year previously and that he played every morning usually trying to be first off, but that we had beaten him on that day. WE would often tee off before the club opened and then stop at the clubhouse at the turn and pay then which they were fine with.

Didn't take long to figure out that this guy was a player. Not only that, but he was a club ho too, so we took to talking gear. He had an R7 425 just like mine, so that got us started and he told me about a second hand store where he would shop for clubs down in the southwest near London.

At any rate, I knew he was playing well, but I thought I was playing pretty good too. He shot a 74 that day and I think I had an 85, so I guess his presence was a positive effect on me. You play up to the competition.

Funny thing, I still remember what he played. Hogan Apex Plus with Vokey wedges and a Scotty Cameron.

Never played with him again even though I went a few times hoping that I might meet up with him. All I remember was that his name was John.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I thought I'd post some pics. We played the Legislator today. Man, it was so hot, so hot that my bud Chuck bailed after 9 holes. We were

a 3some so myself and the other guy kept on truckin'. Actual temp was mid 90s but the "feels like" temp was 10 degrees more and the

air was dead still. It was brutal.

The first pic is Chuck in the distance on the putting green next to the clubhouse. My putter and ball are laying on the ground, lol.

img-0797-jpg.jpgThe next pic is the sign at the entrance to the Legislator course. Notice the tee recommendations by Handicap; which everyone ignores

img-0800-jpg.jpgNext is the white tee box on the par 5 !st hole. The hole doglegs right between the 1st and 2nd set of bunkers you see out there.

We aim right of the bunkers between the bunkers and that little hill on the right. It's hard to get a good perspective from the tee box.

If you go left of the bunkers you'll still be 400 yards from the hole on you next shot. Course knowledge.

img-0804-jpg.jpgMy drive on the par 5 !st..............240 in the middle of the fairway...............went on to card a double bogie 7......yikes

img-0806-jpg.jpgOne more course pic...........the approach on the par 4 4th..........pin is way back.........this pin drives me nuts, it's hard to get to way back there

and long is dead. I was happy to hit it to the middle of the green and 2 putt for par and get outta there.....my ball is in the left rough in the

bottom middle of this pic. You have to look close to see the pin; it's directly over the bunker on the left and way back there; barely

discernible. Left is dead too; which is the case on almost every hole on this course.

img-0808-jpg.jpgNext is the scorecard. Chuck left after 9 so his score stops there. He shot a 42 and me a 43 on the front 9. I had 3 doubles...ugly..but I

did hit 6 greens and scored well on those. I can't really explain my score on the back 9. I was hot and tired and wasn't feeling all that

well and did not hit the ball any better than on the front 9 but somehow carded a 36. My play was unspectacular but steady with 7

pars, a bogie and a birdie. Maybe it was the slower pace with just the 2 of us or maybe being hot and tired forced me to swing within

myself..........or maybe I was just lucky and I think really that's what it was. The Rapture V2 irons.........well I hit some shots that didn't feel

all that well but ended up on the green. I hit another 6 greens on the back and when I missed it wasn't by much. I love these irons!

I wish I could put 2 good 9s together but somehow I screw things up somewhere over the course of 18 holes.....but I still have hope that

someday I'll be able to do it. It is the hope we'll do something we haven't done before that keeps us all going. I've never shot a round

below 75 on a full size course. The other guy I played with today is a marshal there at RTJ and he is 75 years old and has shot his age

twice! I wanna do that someday but right now I would have to shoot a 67......... and that is 8 shots better than my lowest round and I

have to conclude I'm still too young to do it.....but I'm in no hurry to get older either.

img-0817-jpg.jpgLast pic shows the slope and rating for each tee. We played the whites. We used to play the orange.........back when we were young(er).

img-0816-jpg.jpgNow, this is definitely a TMI post if there ever was one.............but among friends OGA rules apply to posts too.

• Like 2

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)