Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Hey Tol. Is that Cyclone headed your way? Take care friend.

Scotee,

We are in the bottom end of Queensland so the cyclone has usually dissapeared into a low by when it reaches us, mostly we have heavy rain. This one has dissipated and we are only getting sporadic heavy showers, it is supposed to reform over th next few days but as they have been way out with this one so far I don’t see us getting that much from it, so far over the past four days when we were supposed to have six to eight inches of rain we have had around two.

Both sides of us, north and south have had extreem weather, North Queensland has been flooded and also Sydney, we have a range of hills to the west of us that seems to divert most of the weather. No flooding as yet so fingers crossed.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

We have alerts come up on our IPads, this morning one came up saying Stan’s birthday. Now Stan is my uncle Stan and as I am useless at remembering dates I use my wife’s alerts. An Email was sent promptly this morning.

Now as I have posted previously we do have stupid conversation with no meaning, straight faced and anyone seeing it happen really does think we are mad.

Having breakfast and I said to DW, Stan’s birthday sent him an email, happy birthday.

DW, Stan does not have an IPad

Me probably not but he has a lap top

DW he can’t use it

Me yes he can we have had Emails before

So this conversation goes back and forth for something like 15 mins, I cannot understand where it is going as Stan’s wife Emails us with family news, they did have a little problem a while ago with the lap top not working.

After about half hour going back and forth DW says I have his birthday snack here, our boxer is also called Stan his birthday was this morning, I had a senior moment and did not relate the conversation to the dog, DW thought I was joking but in reality I was talking about my uncle Stan I the UK. Laughed about it for ages, have not felt so stupid for a long time and DW will not let me forget it.

2nd Email,

Oops sorry wrong Stan.

Does not seem all that amusing writing about it but it was a good and bad start to the day

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I am completely lost...

Perhaps it has to do with being subjected to A Christmas Vacation last night. First time I've watched it from end to end. At one point my wife says to me: Boy this is a really stupid movie! Well, you were the one that put it on was my reply...

AS fate would have it there was a video on the Weather Network this morning about a mid west family who had the famous storm sewer scene with cousin Eddie set-up in the front yard using a manikin as an off-beat Christmas decoration. The local police officer that was interviewed thought it was a hoot!

------------------------

Tonight is DW's Christmas party at the curling club for her ladies' league. I will be providing chauffeur service. A few of us from the day men's league started doing this a few years back. It earns plenty of brownie points with the ladies... ;)

Wednesday is another one of the monthly Flites and Bites nights with the wine club that DW belongs to...

Friday will be the mixed league Christmas party at the curling club. Lots of socializing on the docket! :)

Hope y'all are joining in the fellowship in your respective communities! :friends:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Played golf yesterday.

A better way of putting would be I was a participant in a horrific bogie and often worse event that left me exhausted. It was cart path only on a hilly, breezy, wet course.

This will get me no sympathy but I'll say it right out loud...

I'm feeling older than dirt out there. When I got home I felt like I'd lost 4 quarts of blood. Often pulled one or even two longer clubs and would swing easy to preserve energy and 'play smart'. Didn't work. Usually came up short. Had there been one or two more holes they'd have been forced to drag my lifeless carcus in on a rope.

Upside - no one had to sing me to sleep last night. Wow what a full night of deep and peaceful rest!

lol welcome to the life of the older retired golfer who has not been allowed to play for awhile. ! I went and felt like i was on a

pair of noodles after three holes. Legs really need worked on !

I know how you guys feel. Pretty much describes my day today. No golf mind you, just a bit of putzing around after tweaking the old back rolling out of bed this morning. Lately I've been doing it about once a week. I just try and work through it and keep moving.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Here we go again! I see that bill has visited this topic: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1723062-how-much-bs-are-we-being-fed-by-the-big-brands/

Must be the time of year and people are board. Nothing better to do than the usual suspects to argue their certainties.

Had to appreciate the point-of-view of this irreverent Brit who has been blogging on YouTube. It's a bit raw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzNtpelFwOQ

He takes the same approach to just about everything he chooses to editorialize on, taking great delight in poking his finger in the collective eyes of UK video blogger clan.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I played on Fri. and again today. Friday's round was brutal. It topped out at 40 deg. but a cold East wind coming off of the snow on the surrounding mountains made it feel like 20. We only played nine. I bounced one off of a frozen pond and out near the green for an easy par. I drove another par 4 because it was 1. Downhill. 2. Downwind. 3. Frozen tee box, fairway and green. I three putted for par and got to hear the guys give me the old "Nice drive Scott"

Today was much better with a high of 51 and no wind. A fine time was had by all.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

I didn't play at golf yesterday. Only exercise I got was walking around Costco, Target and the grocery store shopping with the Mrs. Laying in necessary supplies for the upcoming Holidays. Dropped $200 at Costco, 4 bottles of vino inflating the tab. Another hun fiddy at the grocery store, inflated by a couple sixers of crafty brews. Still have to head back out into the throngs on the weekend to stock up on perishables. Shrimps, Oysters, good bread, produce, YTBD. The plan is to smoke a couple of turkey breasts on Sunday for consumption on Christmas Eve. And taking to my sister's the next day.

The new Top Golf (now open) is located near where we were shopping. Blew in for a quick walk around, it's very impressive. No pics, left my phone in the whip. About a third of the 100+ bays were in use. Most seem to have brought their own implements. Asked some questions at "Guest Services". Rates run from $25 per hour to $45 per depending on the time and day of the week. Plus everyone in a group must pay $5 per user registration fee, or they don't play. Everything is handled via text to a phone, and online registration prior is "highly" recommended. Might be interesting in trying the joint out one time. But the entire affair isn't cheap. And that's not even counting food and beverage. For me at least, not going to replace going to the golf dome and whacking a large bucket for $12 during the winter months.

Good thing I volunteered to go out and get the mail when we arrived home. A package arrived earlier than anticipated, was intercepted, and stashed in the garage. (Will show and tell the Mrs. eventually. She doesn't really care how I squander my golf funds. Anyway, that's what a PayPal slush fund is for. Kinda like an off-shore banking account.)

The new, very slightly used, i20 replacements were inside. Hope they work out as anticipated, certainly has been a lot of WRX chatter about them. And since I don't live in Oh, Hi, O, couldn't trial them beforehand. Required a certain intuitive (blind?) "leap of faith" that they'll be players. Ho, Ho, Ho. Merry Christmas to me.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

lol welcome to the life of the older retired golfer who has not been allowed to play for awhile. ! I went and felt like i was on a

pair of noodles after three holes. Legs really need worked on !

I know how you guys feel. Pretty much describes my day today. No golf mind you, just a bit of putzing around after tweaking the old back rolling out of bed this morning. Lately I've been doing it about once a week. I just try and work through it and keep moving.

Very important just to try to keep moving. I do very little in the winter, but I'm always going up and down the steps, just doing a bit of nothing. My problem is that I don't have any interests besides golf. Never was much for hobbies, just golf.

Finished that free online law course with a 91%. Wasn't really interested, like pulling teeth. I really had no desire to take another course, but started a class on accounting, supposed to be for MBA candidates. Can't even bear to watch the short lecture videos, have been taking the online tests on a relatively successful basis. One test, I didn't put in commas in the worksheet answers, got it all wrong.

Life goes on.

Very cool, Fella; are they hollow?

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

10 pm, apart from a few minutes during which time I managed to read and like the posts, Internet has been playing up. We have an ad blocker that uses the wifi to block and it malfunctioned and blocked everything, post tomorrow,

Good night Grillers.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Yeah. Hollow bodied and polymer filled.

Often said to myself, I would be interested in SGI blade'ish irons if anyone were to make them. Heretofore, SGI irons meant big 'ol chunky things with wide soles. Now the hollow body style has become a thing (G700, TM 790) and fits the description. But now way in hell am I spending $1200+ for a set. Not even at half that amount. I've become a golf implement cheapskate. Maltby brought out their versions of hollow bodies last year. The TS-1 fits the criteria. Narrower soles, less bounce, a not to big not to small head, relatively forgiving of sloppy contact across the club face. There's been an on-going Maltby discussion in equipment about the TS-1's and TS-2's. Lot's of feedback. Very highly regarded is the general consensus, as good if not better than OEM. (Running seriously close to letting an internet forum influence considerations.) But at $50 per, a premium for a component head, found it difficult to justify the acquisition expense.

A set (4 - GW) of TS-1 heads show up on the Bay a week or so back. Slightly used, 5 rounds, pics looked excellent. And I start watching. Then a 15% off promo shows up on Friday afternoon. Got the fever. Shot the seller a BIN offer, counter offer, done deal. All in the matter of half an hour. Quietly doing the deal as the Mrs. and I were getting ready to go out for dinner. (She had no clue what I was up to. Thought it was just more babbling with my internet "friends". Always telling her "Just a minute, I want to finish this". I digress.)

Been testing LW (70'ish grams) graphite shafts this fall. At the LGS in OEM stuff and with a demo 7 iron head that I had around. Found no issues with the light weight, swinging them felt comfortable, didn't observe any dispersion issues. Of course this is all short term, only time will tell. But one has to make an assessment based on intuition. Do not have the luxury of spending hours on a launch monitor determining optimization to the n'th degree. Furthermore, I'm not good enough to unduly futz over marginalism. They felt right, therefore they're likely OK. So picked up some Grafalloy PL Red Axis shafts (on the cheap) awhile back. Staying with R flex seems to work. More about shaft weight and overall club weight rather than flex anyway. Always had good results with Graf's in the past. Based on the demo club, with my added length, these should swing weight about D3/D4. So can still feel the clubhead during the swing.

So that's the combo moving forward. Hopefully they'll play as good as I think they will. And selling off the i20's and i3's will make the transition into "something different" close to a zero out of pocket expense (not counting the sunk cost of acquisition for the i20's). At least that's the plan. An easier to swing, more forgiving set of "old man's" implements. And a return to my component head roots. Or I'm a putz. YTBD.

Sounds like a fine plan to me! Nothing wrong with returning to your roots, in fact it seems like the natural progression for many in all walks of life.

It just goes to show you how out of touch I've become with the golfing implements as I haven't followed any of the talk about new stuff in more than a year. There doesn't seem to be much point really as implements don't have the allure they once had when the act of playing becomes more of the question than how well one plays. It's kind of liberating in a sense.

I guess I've truly got to the point of old man golf much like I have with other pursuits in that the need to purchase implements is driven only by physical changes that require implement adjustment rather than searching for some golden goose. Even though I'm not curling this year the stick was the compromise there as was switching to a 13# ball with a conventional grip when a severe bout of tendinitis sabotaged the last season of bowling. I suspect that at some point soft flex graphite will be required if i'm golfing. Time will tell.

Good luck with the project! :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The thought was on my mind as I was composing. That there are those amongst us where the simple act of enjoyable reengagement with play would prove to be rewarding, in and of itself. To those who have been sidelined, hoping the new year brings forth the opportunity. And the issues, that heretofore have been restricting, are mitigated.

It is staying above the freezing mark...but we have had a lot of rain. My yard drains well...and it had standing water.

No sense trying golf for awhile. Hit a beautiful( for me) drive,down the middle,just a slight baby draw.and saw a huge splash

as it landed. You know its bad when you can see the water shoot up from 200+ yards away ! Couldn't find the ball anywhere. Plugged was the consensus.

Agreed,no penalty,dropped,and hit a great 7I to the green,hit and stayed. Got to the green and only the very top of the ball was

showing.. Plugged...Same on next hole. We all said forget it. Will have to do without golf until it warms up and dries out a little.

No range mats. Last outing there ,was careful,and still hurt in the elbows. No more.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

The thought was on my mind as I was composing. That there are those amongst us where the simple act of enjoyable reengagement with play would prove to be rewarding, in and of itself. To those who have been sidelined, hoping the new year brings forth the opportunity. And the issues, that heretofore have been restricting, are mitigated.

Don't even think twice about it! Those of us who aren't playing, be it due to weather or infirmity or whatever, are living vicariously through those of you who do. Keep the stories coming!

Thanks for the good wishes all the same! :friends:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm looking forward to playing in the league in the end of April. Frankly guys, I'm a little nervous about it. I haven't played since a few weeks before the accident I had in October of 2017. So this footdrop has gotten worse, and the new epilepsy meds combined with that has made me more unstable. I have only been to the range once. When I got there, and got warmed up, things went great, but that was earlier this year. Last Saturday night at our Christmas party, my DW asked if I wanted her to get my food in the buffet line (she knew that with 450 people, and 7 or 8 tables at a time going thru the line, I would be standing in mid air most of the wait with nothing to hold on to. But I said no, I'll go too. -mistake- I had to hold on to chairs along the way, was sort of wobbly, and when we got up to the wall leading to the big hallway out to the actual buffet line from the main room (where the CEO and all the main party guests were having their pics taken with guests, I kinda slid against the wall and accidentally turned out the room lights. Of course the room went dark except for the table candles... Dang, there must have been 8 switches and only one of them was for the dining area. And then 16 'waiters and waitresses' came running over to fix things and I heard some people at tables who I didn't even know saying stuff like 'oh, he's just had too much to drink'. Heck, I don't drink, I was having bottled water. Sometimes life can be so difficult when you just want to be normal...ugh.

So the people who have been working there forever know me, and they're cool with it, but we have so many new people I'm beginning to feel like I'm on another planet, I guess retirement will fit ok after all, I just hope golf works out ok.... <---- (extra dot)

Sixty -- The people who care, don't matter; the people who matter don't care! :friends:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

55 five five fifty five five O + five double nickle December 19, and a forecast of 55 I'll take it !

Dec 19th 200pm,currently 87 outside, nice warm day, a little high on the humidity but hey who cares I will take that over 55 any day. :)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I'm looking forward to playing in the league in the end of April. Frankly guys, I'm a little nervous about it. I haven't played since a few weeks before the accident I had in October of 2017. So this footdrop has gotten worse, and the new epilepsy meds combined with that has made me more unstable. I have only been to the range once. When I got there, and got warmed up, things went great, but that was earlier this year. Last Saturday night at our Christmas party, my DW asked if I wanted her to get my food in the buffet line (she knew that with 450 people, and 7 or 8 tables at a time going thru the line, I would be standing in mid air most of the wait with nothing to hold on to. But I said no, I'll go too. -mistake- I had to hold on to chairs along the way, was sort of wobbly, and when we got up to the wall leading to the big hallway out to the actual buffet line from the main room (where the CEO and all the main party guests were having their pics taken with guests, I kinda slid against the wall and accidentally turned out the room lights. Of course the room went dark except for the table candles... Dang, there must have been 8 switches and only one of them was for the dining area. And then 16 'waiters and waitresses' came running over to fix things and I heard some people at tables who I didn't even know saying stuff like 'oh, he's just had too much to drink'. Heck, I don't drink, I was having bottled water. Sometimes life can be so difficult when you just want to be normal...ugh.

So the people who have been working there forever know me, and they're cool with it, but we have so many new people I'm beginning to feel like I'm on another planet, I guess retirement will fit ok after all, I just hope golf works out ok.... <---- (extra dot)

Retirement is great. Soon, more of us will be sharing about our golf games, posting swing videos

and posting pics of our latest club acquisitions..........congrats on the new irons Fella!

Sixty, I played 4 rounds in 2016, 1 in 2017 and I went out there this past September, a year since

my last round which had been a year since my other last round.........and the first good shot I hit I

was like.."ya baby!"

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

55 five five fifty five five O + five double nickle December 19, and a forecast of 55 I'll take it !

We're supposed to get a high of 5 tomorrow, that's Celsius mind you. I'll take it for this time of year. Of course my DIL's father called from the road in Kelowna earlier tonight as they were rolling into town and it was 9 there. Now that's getting pretty darned close to bill's double nickel!

Don't think I could manage it down under. All this talk of snakes and Tiger grass and 87° in December... It's just not right! :swoon:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The past 2 days here have been gorgeous. Highs in the mid 60s and bright sunshine. More

rain coming tomorrow night and into Thursday and Friday though. Temps are predicted to

stay mild until New Years....that's as far as the forecast goes. I'm liking it. Some years it

goes the other way and we get highs in the 30s and 40s instead.

A long way to go until spring. Winter is still, officially, yet to start though the peeps in the

weather business consider Dec 1 the "actual" start of winter, weather wise. I would agree

with that. Still though, when the 21st arrives, I am always glad to bid farewell to shrinking

days and knowing that by about 2 minutes per day, each day thereafter grows longer.....

and Tol's days will grow shorter.................so, if you flush a toilet on the equator which

way does the water turn as it spirals down into the abyss?

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

The past 2 days here have been gorgeous. Highs in the mid 60s and bright sunshine. More

rain coming tomorrow night and into Thursday and Friday though. Temps are predicted to

stay mild until New Years....that's as far as the forecast goes. I'm liking it. Some years it

goes the other way and we get highs in the 30s and 40s instead.

A long way to go until spring. Winter is still, officially, yet to start though the peeps in the

weather business consider Dec 1 the "actual" start of winter, weather wise. I would agree

with that. Still though, when the 21st arrives, I am always glad to bid farewell to shrinking

days and knowing that by about 2 minutes per day, each day thereafter grows longer.....

and Tol's days will grow shorter.................so, if you flush a toilet on the equator which

way does the water turn as it spirals down into the abyss?

Alabama... looking at a US map thats way south. The only US state we hear of here for winter golf is Florida, one or two from over here jumps the pond to play some golf there when the snow is deep on the 60th parallell. Although Spain is the normal destination for a winter golf week. I suppose you can play in decent temperatures all through the winter in Alabama?

I find it captivating to read about the equipment you gents try out. The motive is somewhat selfish. Single length irons - various shaft options, static wieght - it's all music given you bothered to share it as I face ever slowing swing speed and such on my journey.. please keep it coming!

Christmas parties when work related. Will share that I've never seen a career advanced but have seen a few damaged at them. Alcohol was normally a big part of which way it went. They can be a great opportunity to deepen bonds - if you want or care to. Might jut be me but I tend to believe most folks these days tend to keep an arm's length distance from getting too attached to workmates. Maybe cause job security is not what it used to be so therefore why set yourself up for disappointment? I dunno.

I gave a 70s vintage Mustang away last eve. Dead/frozen motor. Sat in my driveway for 10 years. Embarrasment quite frankly to have a car hidden under one of those covers that never moved or was hardly even touched for so long. Despite best laid plans, I was never going to work on it and never got the itch to actively sell it as is. So it sat there rotting away under its cover taking up space. Gave it two two brothers in their 20s who are sons of my swing coach. They're 7 years apart in age and resultingly grew up with little in common. Now as young adults they express mutual interest in cars and restoring them. As they pulled it onto a trailer to take it I told them of me and my own brother (RIP) who were also many years apart but became better friends as adults. Wished them Merry Christmas and asked they take the gift in the spirit of two brothers building the memory of a lifetime - to which they promised to do. No amount of money would have made it more rewarding. We get our driveway back. The neighrhood is finally rid of it. And two young men get a rare opportunity at zero initial cost to have a blast together. A win-win as they say.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)