Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

55 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I can still hit the long irons not as well or as high but still can. My problem being a feel and instinct player is swinging too hard because I know darn well I have to generate more swing speed to hit them. Last week in the shoot out was a prime example. The wind was up some and I was the "driver" of the bunch on my pick up team. Yep I had the 3 and 4 irons in and yes I pushed the issue too much. After 12 holes I started getting sore and stiff. In fact so bad I withdrew my wife and I from the afternoon Nine and Dine. Did manage with help from my cane and back brace to stumble the 26 steps up to the sound booth for Sunday services. Sat on my rear in my massaging chair until Wednesday. Hit about 15 whiffle balls in the yard off the mat and was ok. 

Went out to the course yesterday and talked to a friend who has a golf acamedy there. We both have similar backgrounds and go way way back to the old Space Coast Tour in Florida. We are the same age. We had a talk and he is also an old school feel and instinct player too but he does not teach that way. He said our minds are trying to do 24 year old stuff that our 64 year old bodies can no longer pull off. We were talking about my hurting last week. He brought up the point of torsional vibration transfer. Yep with steel shafts and believe it or not I play standard size Tour Wraps. You may not know it per say but that vibration does transfer through the whole body. He does know the extent of my injuries and my nerve damage and the vibrations are causing my back nerves to act up. He talked me into going back to the house and geting my TMs with the graphite shafts. He got me to swinging those as I watched and would not let me swing hard. Main thing I did was hit about 40 balls with ample breaks in between. I hit those irons pretty well and had no pain. He said he saw me on the range when I first got those irons and I remember he had asked what shafts were in them? He told me I was swinging them too fast and hard for what the shafts were designed for. He also pointed out him being a blade man himself that we were not as physically able to practice like we once did and we could not hit as consistant as we once did. In other words we need a little forgiveness. The jury is still out on me playing CBs with graphite even those are "players cavities". I told him I do not hurt my back playing my vintage rounds with steel and persimmon. He said that was easy. When out there playing vintage I am not competing and trying to beat someone and shooting at a score so I am not swinging hard. In my mind I am still a competive person. He also noted that my swing was always fast and violent something my old man had said 45 years ago. So basically for now I am in full old man mode and am trying the graphites again with the 7 & 9 woods thrown in. I had that talk with him because honestly I was thinking about giving up the game period and going fishing or buying an old hot rod and renting a place to work on it at.  I remembered my old man gave up the game around my age because of health issues and diminished distance. He stayed at the course and gave lessons etc but did not play. 

Stu.  Far be it from me to offer cheap commentary about club things.  You have forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know or understand.   

Why not a graphite shaft in a 3 iron?  Lighter weight to enable an easier swing.  Assist with launch.  The dampening properties of graphite to make it easier on the bod (mitigate vibration transfer).  May have to do some testing to determine a preferred shaft weight, lead tape/tip weights to get the feel dialed in.  But all doable.  Seems like long irons would be good candidates for graphite to improve playability.  If they meld with the rest of the set. Don't recall you ever mentioning a driving iron type club before.  Given what you've been accustomed to for so long, perhaps they aren't relevant.  Maybe one of those wider bodied, lower COG heads with graphite as a gotta be straight off the tee club.

I've had the graphite shafted Maltby's for a couple seasons plus now.  Heretofore, been lukewarm with how I played them.  Had to be careful not to over swing, resulting in nasty pull hooks.  And sorta lacking in the feel of having them "slotted" in the swing.  Been going back and forth between steel and graphite to determine some preference trend.  Still kinda YTBD.  But this season, been increasingly gravitating towards the graphites.  They just seem easier to swing and play comfortably.  Perhaps I've finally aged into them.  IDK.  But the issues I've experienced prior have mostly disappeared.  I'm not spraying them around like I did prior.  Adding the proviso that I can mishit anything with any given swing.  

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I've had about a half hour now for the Aleve to kick in.  Boy oh boy, those first few games of curling are getting tougher and tougher to deal with.  There were guys there yesterday, older than me, who were on their 4th game of the week from start-up on Monday.  I'm not sure how they were walking!!  Helps being a skip or a vice though as this was the first time I swept 48 rocks in a game in 20 months!  😖

• Like 4

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I’m enjoying a brandy and a cigar on my backyard patio right now. I got this unique square, heavy brandy glass with a shape molded into the glass to hold a cigar for my birthday. 🙂 

It’s about 68°F and a beautiful clear night with a million stars and a billion more I can’t see.

I wrote a post in this thread about Casey Martin, the professional golfer who had his leg amputated recently.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1839550-casey-martin-has-leg-amputated/page/2/

You may not agree with me, which is absolutely fine, but one thing I’ve learned about this corner of GolfWRX is that you all are decent people who can respect the thoughts of others with class. I, in turn, have great respect for the people who frequent this space.

I think I need to take a break from posting on GolfWRX for a while. I think I need to plan a bucket trip in the spring to play some golf with some of you.

I played with someone from GolfWRX in Atlanta once on a business trip and it was a wonderful experience. He was a great person and I enjoyed that game as much as any round ever.

I’ll be back. I may lurk, but I’m going to refresh my attitude.

Cheers, my virtul golf buddies.

Hope you are lurking and read this and what I posted on the thread you mentioned.

I spoke my peace too on the subject.

Naah did not see anything wrong on your opinion FWIW

And if you are lurking lurk your self on down this way I would be glad to play a round or two with you either Modern or Vintage equipment and shoot the bull with you. 

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

9 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

The problem as I see it is that what you are playing in the form of full weight graphite shafts in your irons is a far cry from the typical OTR graphite shaft you will find in an iron.  The theory seems to be that those who require graphite also suffer form a lack of swing speed and as such would benefit from ultralight shafts often in the 60g range.  They're too light for most, even those with less than desirable swing speeds.

Yeah.  Go to a LGS to "test" OTR irons shafted graphite, you'll encounter LW as the de facto regular flex option.  Depending on the brand, from 72g down to 60g (perhaps lighter, I didn't check them all).  Certainly seems to be the trend though.  It could easily become a swirl of confusion without some basic understanding of what's involved through personal experience and information gathering.  Swinging OTR irons all to briefly at a store may not translate to how LW  plays over time out in the wild.  Where issues begin to reveal themselves.  Amongst all the criteria involved with determining iron shaft playability, this shaft weight thing is the trickiest.  And seemingly more so as I've gotten older.  

• Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

4 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Amongst all the criteria involved with determining iron shaft playability, this shaft weight thing is the trickiest.  And seemingly more so as I've gotten older.  

I certainly don't have answers for this dilemma.  I had a stretch of good golf earlier in the summer playing ultralight 55g M flex graphites in my clubs.  Went away on holiday and came back and couldn't hit them a lick.  No explanation as to why.

Went back to steel, but still under 100g in irons and have begun to play batter as the season winds down.  Once again, no real explanation other than the club slots into my swing a bit better and the extra weight seems to helps prevent over swinging.  There's likely more to it than that.  Probably swinging on an improved plane at this point, but alas with the wet week ahead I think that my golf is all but done for this season.

I have a tee time booked for Wednesday afternoon and hope to get another league game in next Monday weather permitting, but that is likely that for the season for this golfer.

• Like 4

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Fella did the research and our buddy Nitram was the last to post back in April and Ninja has surfaced too back in April

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)