Ranking British Open courses

Roadking2003

Portrush is seriously second fiddle to Royal County Down.

I agree, but Portrush is still a very good course. Here is something that puzzles me. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain, but they will play the British Open there. It is part of the UK, so maybe we should start calling it the UK Open.

Northern Ireland is part of Britain. As is Wales, Scotland, The Falkland Islands, Gibraltar.......No doubt some Bostonian of Irish descent told you Northern Ireland is not part of the UK.

Read my post carefully. I did not say Northern Ireland is not part of the UK. I said it's not part of Britain. And that's true.

Britain does not include Gibraltar or the Falkland Islands. Here is a good description.

Great Britain is made up of:

• England - The capital is London.
  • Scotland - The capital is Edinburgh .
  • Wales - The capital is Cardiff.

Is Great Britain the same as the UK?

No, Great Britain and the United Kingdom refer to different areas.

Great Britain is very often, but incorrectly, used as a synonym for the sovereign state properly known as the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' (UK).

The UK includes Great Britain AND Northern Ireland)

Is Great Britain the same as Britain?

Great Britain and Britain do not mean the same thing.

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales, where as Britain is just England and Wales. The name Britain goes back to Roman times when they called England and Wales "Britannia" (or "Britannia Major", to distinguished from "Britannia Minor", ie Brittany in France). The Roman province of Britannia only covered the areas of modern England and Wales. The area of modern Scotland was never finally conquered.

However, it is important to note here that Britain has not existed in the true sense since the Roman times. Wales became a separate country in its own right, and then became a principality of England, which it still is today. The Union in 1707 joined Scotland and England and Wales to create Great Britain.

http://resources.woo...ain/britain.htm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but Portrush is still a very good course. Here is something that puzzles me. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain, but they will play the British Open there. It is part of the UK, so maybe we should start calling it the UK Open.

It's confusing. Which is why we call it The Open, and the Yanks incorrectly refer to it as the British Open. If you must differentiate from the second best Open, please call it the British Isles Open. TVM.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

It's confusing. Which is why we call it The Open, and the Yanks incorrectly refer to it as the British Open. If you must differentiate from the second best Open, please call it the British Isles Open. TVM.

So you incorrectly call it "The Open" and others incorrectly call it "the British Open." No difference. "British Isles Open" is incorrect also since that includes the island of Ireland.

The official name is "The Open Championship". Even though I'm not a "Yank", I'll always call it the British Open and I'm sure everyone will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Far too many people care about what we are calling a Golf Tournament. As long as we can all communicate with enough legibility to understand what the hell each other are talking about that's all that matters.

I'm not a fan of 'street talk' and blindly appalling Grammar, but surely in the name of all that is sensible, can we just stop arguing about the name of a Golf Tournament, that we all know what we're talking about, and get back to the subject in hand eh?

Far too many people care about what we are calling a Golf Tournament. As long as we can all communicate with enough legibility to understand what the hell each other are talking about that's all that matters.

I'm not a fan of 'street talk' and blindly appalling Grammar, but surely in the name of all that is sensible, can we just stop arguing about the name of a Golf Tournament, that we all know what we're talking about, and get back to the subject in hand eh?

Hang on..........what was the subject at hand anyway??? :swoon:

We were ranking the courses in the British Isles Open rotation. :)

We were ranking the courses in the British Isles Open rotation. :)

Oh yes that's right. Sorry, I was beginning to lose the will to live there for a while. Lol.

I think it would be interesting to play some of the venues again a few times, just to see if my rankings would change any. Therefore ascertaining if the rankings can be dependent on how many times you play the venues. I feel another 'road trip' coming on!!

Glad to hear Birkdale is ranked so high. Going to be in Oxford for a couple weeks starting the end of July and thought I'd go up and play Birkdale...especially since it's the 2017 course.

It's a fair ol' drive up to Birkdale from Oxford (about 3 hours away). I live in Oxford, so if you ever want a round locally just give me a shout?

Northern Ireland is part of Britain. As is Wales, Scotland, The Falkland Islands, Gibraltar.......No doubt some Bostonian of Irish descent told you Northern Ireland is not part of the UK.

Read my post carefully. I did not say Northern Ireland is not part of the UK. I said it's not part of Britain. And that's true.

Yet someone from Omagh is considered a British citizen and likely holds at a minimum a British passport... oh nationality and citizenship, why must you be difficult...

Anyways, it's a shame the tournament is never held on inland courses, because then they could hold it at Nicklaus's course at Gleneagles and there'd be a new #1 on the list ;-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I have played 4 of the suspects: The Old Course, Carnoustie, Turnberry and Royal Troon. And that's the order I'd rate them. The Old Course is my first pick. It is fun to play, it has some very special qualities fairways and green wise - and a bunch of holes with character. The turf on the St. Andrews links is exceptional and sets up for very different shot making than any other place I've been. Carnoustie is a great test of skills. The finish is extremely difficult. It has the macho factor. Turnberry has spectacular views. Troon was nice, but tbh I found it a bit less intriguing compared to the others.

It is not called the British Open

Its called The Open

What I find puzzling is why it has been termed as the British Open

http://www.theopen.com

It is not called the British Open

Its called The Open

What I find puzzling is why it has been termed as the British Open

No, it's not. The official name is "The Open Championship".

Look....we all know what we're talking about, which is the art of communication, so in the name of all that is holy can we please just talk about ranking these damn Courses, and not being nit picking as**s. If anyone wants to discuss the name of the Championship and any intricacies that you feel relevant, can you just start your own thread on the subject please.

As this thread has now become one of those 'freestyle' threads whereby anything appears to be acceptable in terms of subject matter, does anyone have any opinions on the comparisons between Adidas Tour 360 Boosts v Adidas Tour 360X BOA v Adipower Boost 2.0 Golf shoes? Lol.

'You say tomato, I say tomahto, you say neither, and I say neither, let's call the whole thing off' :cheesy:

I have played all the Open venues except turnberry

Lytham is the hardest in my opinion , would be a totally different course without the grandstands . Carnoustie is also very tough . Troon is a great golf course with a lot of quality and no frills . The old course is great with its slopes and subtle contouring but is an antiquated course IMO

Birkdale is awesome and top 5 UK IMO

Hoylake is solid, but not spectacular , a fine championship course however

RSG is alittle misunderstood , it's certainly fun to play and pretty bloody tough to be honest

Muirfield is a well maintained field , great test of golf but not my type of links

Royal Aberdeen is an awesome course but not on the rota

Out of curiosity, which of the courses do you think is the funnest, or most enjoyable to play?

Most fun? Probably RSG . I can name 10 links courses that are much more "fun" however, especially if you don't have a serious card in your hand

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Glad to hear Birkdale is ranked so high. Going to be in Oxford for a couple weeks starting the end of July and thought I'd go up and play Birkdale...especially since it's the 2017 course.

It's a fair ol' drive up to Birkdale from Oxford (about 3 hours away). I live in Oxford, so if you ever want a round locally just give me a shout?

Thank Jay! I might just take you up on that. Wife is teaching a class at Christ Church and will be occupied during the day.

Thank Jay! I might just take you up on that. Wife is teaching a class at Christ Church and will be occupied during the day.

My Mother worked at Christ Church for many years, it's a really nice College, and the quad there is massive for an Oxford College. Anyway, check out Oxford Golf Club. It's right in the middle of town really. Quite an old Course designed by Harry Colt. I started playing golf there as a boy, and still drop in there from time to time. In fact I'm playing there on Thursday. The Pro there is a young guy called Joe Pepperell who is a good friend of mine as is the brother of European Tour Pro Eddie Pepperell. It's a lovely golf course, and the Greens are normally as good if not the best in Oxfordshire. And the Green fees are only around the £20 mark, and for that, it's an absolute bargain. And a great place to play some golf whilst you're here because it's so convenient and easy to get to, if you're staying near the town.

The Oxfordshire Golf Club is also well thought of and only down the road from where I live, literally 5 mins in the car, but we can hook up wherever you like of course. Just give me a shout, and we will sort something out, because it'll be really nice to hook up with another Wrx'er!

You wouldn't call the Superbowl the US Superbowl to differentiate from another that called itself Superbowl in a different country years later.

I wonder if people in Japan call it the "American World Series" or "America Series"... and were horribly confused when the Blue Jays won.

How about calling entire leagues the "National such and such"?

Which nation? Oh yes of course the nation of America and sometimes Canada. Shouldn't they actually be called the United States and Canadian National Professional ______ League? Sure it means a larger crest on balls and jerseys, but still.

At least we call our terrible brand of American football the Canadian Football League. A rouge? What kind of stupid sport would have something called a rouge? Now birdies and eagles and bogeys those are cool.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

St Andrews stands alone us the ultimate test of golf based on comments from the likes of Jack and Tiger. I unfortunately will never get to play any.

My opinion is that if St. Andrews didn't have the history it has that it wouldn't be so highly regarded.

If you play it more than a few times, you might change your mind. Many have.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse