2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tyson Lamb Putters & Crafts

Do you guys really replace beat up golf balls. If I don't lose it it's getting played the entire round. I guess I never found I was a good enough golfer for the ball to affect my score.

I do if it's cut or some road rash is on it. But I hit the ball super straight and play alot of 18 hole rounds with one golf ball. Always nice to put a ball that I marked up with a sharpie back in the bag and ready for the next round :pimp:

How dare you mention super straight to a hacker like myself. I modeled my entire golf game after a crackhead version of Phil Mickelson. It's like terrible army golf sprinkled with amazing shots or putts here and there.

Lol I thought Phil was a crackhead...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read up on the last 20 pages, I guess it was interesting. I should first say that while it is disappointing that there are only 2 rather "safe" heads, he does a phenomenal job with making them individual and as has been noted the fit and finish is like OEM production in a quasi custom package and that is just extremely difficult to do as a small outfit. I think the lack of creativity in some of the choices (Ones that ripoff Lamont) really is puzzling because it hurts an otherwise very individual effort. On that note, the knocks for him not being original regarding the work are not really fair, it is a putter, and is he the first to have hosels like that or peening no, but his execution is really noteworthy. The whole not releasing them strategy is just that, I don't care one way or other about it, but it is not because 1 cnc can't handle ball markers, belt buckles and 20 heads in a month.

So on that note, the real reason I chimed in is the total misinformation on here regarding all the ideas on cncs and machining parts. First off, the whole mystique that he has some special machine that allows anything you can't do on any cnc is false. Contrarily, those just are normal small envelope 3/4 axis machines. BB tried to make a valid point and it was blown up. If you believe these are made by any technological means superior than whatever pings or whatever are milled on in China you would be wrong. His magic is in his detail, and his ability to make the same head 10 different ways from what I can see. What I don't understand is that the point of a cnc is repeatable quality, hence production, but there is no production happening. One can only assume that putters don't pay for even cheap cncs, and they need to run making real money parts and putters are a side gig, like lajosi and what bettinardi sorta did before it blew up for him. Maybe putters finally warrant a second machine and the first one can do what pays bills without holding back putters? I hate to speculate on all this, but the point is the machining end is really simple, all the hype on here regarding the Cncs is totally unwarranted. He has cncs, and he uses them. That sums up the milling genius behind making putterheads. Tthe finishing end is where his stuff really kills it. You can see the finish quality in pics, and that is where while anyone can machine a putter, not just anyone can deliver his finished product.

If he is doing his own cadwork, it is a shame that there are not more putters being made and more Avant garde styles and twists on heads.

Just read up on the last 20 pages, I guess it was interesting. I should first say that while it is disappointing that there are only 2 rather "safe" heads, he does a phenomenal job with making them individual and as has been noted the fit and finish is like OEM production in a quasi custom package and that is just extremely difficult to do as a small outfit. I think the lack of creativity in some of the choices (Ones that ripoff Lamont) really is puzzling because it hurts an otherwise very individual effort. On that note, the knocks for him not being original regarding the work are not really fair, it is a putter, and is he the first to have hosels like that or peening no, but his execution is really noteworthy. The whole not releasing them strategy is just that, I don't care one way or other about it, but it is not because 1 cnc can't handle ball markers, belt buckles and 20 heads in a month.

So on that note, the real reason I chimed in is the total misinformation on here regarding all the ideas on cncs and machining parts. First off, the whole mystique that he has some special machine that allows anything you can't do on any cnc is false. Contrarily, those just are normal small envelope 3/4 axis machines. BB tried to make a valid point and it was blown up. If you believe these are made by any technological means superior than whatever pings or whatever are milled on in China you would be wrong. His magic is in his detail, and his ability to make the same head 10 different ways from what I can see. What I don't understand is that the point of a cnc is repeatable quality, hence production, but there is no production happening. One can only assume that putters don't pay for even cheap cncs, and they need to run making real money parts and putters are a side gig, like lajosi and what bettinardi sorta did before it blew up for him. Maybe putters finally warrant a second machine and the first one can do what pays bills without holding back putters? I hate to speculate on all this, but the point is the machining end is really simple, all the hype on here regarding the Cncs is totally unwarranted. He has cncs, and he uses them. That sums up the milling genius behind making putterheads. Tthe finishing end is where his stuff really kills it. You can see the finish quality in pics, and that is where while anyone can machine a putter, not just anyone can deliver his finished product.

If he is doing his own cadwork, it is a shame that there are not more putters being made and more Avant garde styles and twists on heads.

Good post. I remember back before "Tyson Lamb Putters" blew up so to speak, he had a small belt buckle and metal fabrication business going (and black diamond putters when he used to post here). It seems that has been surpassed by the putter business now.

Personally I think it's a mix of a few things. First, his strategy like it or not has created demand so its working for him as a small start up brand. Second, I think his parents do help. This isn't a knock but he's young and buying CNC's isn't really feasible given his business model without some help. Lastly, I always thought and still do he's setting his brand up for a licensing deal with an OEM. Given the overhead he's setting up I can't see him being a long term profitable business as a boutique small batch putter maker. I think the whole "buzz driven demand" model is so he can get a great offer from an OEM to license his brand. I could be wrong and don't really care but I do like looking at his putters on instagram.

I am always entertained when people chime in with facts as they see it and generalize that everyone else doesn't understand or has misinformation.

You'll have to quote where anyone claimed Tyson had a magical CNC so different than anyone else or different putter makers. I don't recall reading of this wizardry.

I agree that CNCs are about repeatability and good quality. Now, good quality and good design are different things. Tyson seems to be spending a lot of time tweaking the design and hence not pumping out production to satisfy demand or your expectations of a small business with a CNC (now 2). While it frustrates some, it reminds me a lot of the craft beer movement. Some people rush along and upscale as quickly as possible and many end up turning out mediocre brews. There are some that stay small and perfect their craft and their stuff is highly sought after, traded, and resold on grey markets. Some people stay small because they are only looking to be the neighborhood or local guy.

People are making a lot of assumptions about what Tyson wants or sees for his trajectory. Its mostly just wishful thinking.

Those who are in the inner circle have a better idea of the plans and goals. The rest is just conjecture.

What I have learned today is FEUO loves beer.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

FYI the more you post "inner circle" the less likely many of us are to buy a putter. Anyone can respond to an internet request for friends, you aren't special.

FYI I am not in the inner circle. Hating on the concept of a business owner having friends (who are also customers) that know more than the average customer is going to leave you buying no man's products.

Every putter maker, club owner, small business whatever, has an inner circle of people they trust, and others that have bought their way into more knowledge and more access. Its life. Get over it.

FYI the more you post “inner circle” the less likely many of us are to buy a putter. Anyone can respond to an internet request for friends, you aren’t special.

My mom tells me I’m special ;)

But for realz.. it is 2018. Let us celebrate and look forward to a great golf season filled with tons of awesome new equipment hitting the market! And new bear for FEUO.

In the meanwhile...

bf3f6e9c7a1146e97d7e51344938f44b.jpg

Some golf swag displayed (not mine)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Dude, maybe not wizardry by their is a boatload of cnc misinformation going a few pages back. Either way, I made it clear I don't know or care about his intentions, I was just speculating as to how one has a cnc or 2 and is producing nothing....either A.) paid for and don't care, very possible on cheap machines like these, B.) has better more constant money streams taking up machine time..., again very logical.

Sorry if my interpretation of how wizardry was perceived, but even his master plan is some elaborate business strategy only an inner circle knows about? How can anyone take all This seriously? If none of my 2 speculations above are correct, then yeah, I don't get it. You have machines, you have a company, your job, and their job, is to get product out there and get money back in. I am not saying slam out junk,not at all, the whole reason he has 2 cncs is to produce....and maintain a high quality for production. Period. Even when you do niche custom one offs, a cnc shop is still a production shop, even when small and super custom, otherwise you wouldn't have a digital shop. Period. And one thing any real high end niche company knows is that TIME and service are king, so I don't even get how there wouldn't be a legitimate waiting list with number order followed, deposits taken, and clients just kept in the loop as it goes. That is what is expected if one can't have it right away which is what seems to always be expected.

This doesn't seem revolutionary, it seem like growing pains which are real, possible bad advice, and just mis steps along the way of growing a company.....all of which I would never slam anyone for, it is all part of it. Just don't spin it is all.

Dude, maybe not wizardry by their is a boatload of cnc misinformation going a few pages back. Either way, I made it clear I don't know or care about his intentions, I was just speculating as to how one has a cnc or 2 and is producing nothing....either A.) paid for and don't care, very possible on cheap machines like these, B.) has better more constant money streams taking up machine time..., again very logical.

Sorry if my interpretation of how wizardry was perceived, but even his master plan is some elaborate business strategy only an inner circle knows about? How can anyone take all This seriously? If none of my 2 speculations above are correct, then yeah, I don't get it. You have machines, you have a company, your job, and their job, is to get product out there and get money back in. I am not saying slam out junk,not at all, the whole reason he has 2 cncs is to produce....and maintain a high quality for production. Period. Even when you do niche custom one offs, a cnc shop is still a production shop, even when small and super custom, otherwise you wouldn't have a digital shop. Period. And one thing any real high end niche company knows is that TIME and service are king, so I don't even get how there wouldn't be a legitimate waiting list with number order followed, deposits taken, and clients just kept in the loop as it goes. That is what is expected if one can't have it right away which is what seems to always be expected.

This doesn't seem revolutionary, it seem like growing pains which are real, possible bad advice, and just mis steps along the way of growing a company.....all of which I would never slam anyone for, it is all part of it. Just don't spin it is all.

Fans do what fans do. Support the brand. Can't fault them for it.

But I don't think anyone should be telling anyone how to run their business (unless they are an investor). Your claims about misinformation were true on a couple of posts and they were corrected or debated already. Blanket statements about all the misinformation just comes across as a general criticism. Yawn. Heard it all before.

Pass me a beer. ;)

Trying to figure out where Lamb Crafted has gone wrong thus far because their business model & growth is their own and seems to be working.

As you said, your insight nor the CNC are revolutionary. So why assume your insight on how to grow a business is? I think that's really what's important for them right meow.

Titleist - 917-D3, 8.5 - AD BB-6X
Titleist - 917-F, 15 - AD BB-7X
Titleist - 916 T-MB 2 Iron - AD DI-105x
BB&F Co - DW - CB, 4-P - TI AMT X100
BB&F Co - DW - 53 & 58
Lamb Crafted - Allendale
MacKenzie - Sugarloaf Walker

Bigmean didn't hate.. Y'all get ruffled at the slightest hint of slight..

i agree that he isn't 'hating'. he isn't offering insight either. what is he offering? :to_become_senile:

Titleist - 917-D3, 8.5 - AD BB-6X
Titleist - 917-F, 15 - AD BB-7X
Titleist - 916 T-MB 2 Iron - AD DI-105x
BB&F Co - DW - CB, 4-P - TI AMT X100
BB&F Co - DW - 53 & 58
Lamb Crafted - Allendale
MacKenzie - Sugarloaf Walker

Seriously ? Not true at all, I offered a lot of love for the product and finishing. Read it.

I happen to have a lot more insight to his situation without being directly in it that I feel

I can make reasonable assumptions, like the 2 reasons for lack of putters I mentioned in my

Last thread. It isn't hate, it is confusion. You have the demand, you have the means, you clearly

Want to do this so let's assume you have the desire,........like what am I missing as to why people wait 3

Months for bottle cap and donut ball markers??? I get the "you can't have this" approach, but at some point you are either

in business or not, no?

Have seen the comment that his mom and Dad must have bought the CNC more than once. I don’t have the slightest idea abo bought it. Let me ask this...does it really matter who bought the CNC machine?

Some like his putters some don’t...different strokes for different folks. Some don’t like his business model while others have no problem with it. Not sure why someone would waste their time in here reading and posting if they don’t like his product

And to be clear, the cncs are the most puzzling part of this. Reading about making 150 heads to get 12 you are happy with??? Cmon. The work is great, it is clean, it looks super polished, but he can finish one head in an 8 hour day achieving that....more like 3 conservatively while the cnc spits out 15. This is what I am missing I guess.....

And to be clear, the cncs are the most puzzling part of this. Reading about making 150 heads to get 12 you are happy with??? Cmon. The work is great, it is clean, it looks super polished, but he can finish one head in an 8 hour day achieving that....more like 3 conservatively while the cnc spits out 15. This is what I am missing I guess.....

For someone who knows alot more than everyone else about CNCs your gullibility is equally high. 150 to get 12? If you believe that I have some timeshares I gotta unload. You are obviously buying.

Maybe in the beginning during the tweaking of designs he may have had to do that. But to think that is what is happening now is foolhearted. And then there is the time to weld, twist, bling, stamp, etc.

Based on that he made 1250 to make 100 and there is more than that out there now.

Stay tuned for the PGA show offerings and what shows in Japan.

you are just arguing to argue, you are not being inciteful. Bottle cap wrote that not me. And apparently we agreed about it.......

And my real Interest with lamb is that I have always wanted to get a little metal cnc and mess with making putters. I have a different take On how I would go about it, and hell it probably isn't very much more than a retirement hobby at some point, but I am interested in what he has going in a positive way in that regard. I just feel like it has been a year since I looked at

This thread and it is in the same exact place.

Does anyone know for real, not a fake answer, and it isn't a knock at all if he doesn't it is common, but does he create the head files from scratch, or did he purchase sub out or get open source and tweak?

you are just arguing to argue, you are not being inciteful. Bottle cap wrote that not me. And apparently we agreed about it.......

And my real Interest with lamb is that I have always wanted to get a little metal cnc and mess with making putters. I have a different take On how I would go about it, and hell it probably isn't very much more than a retirement hobby at some point, but I am interested in what he has going in a positive way in that regard. I just feel like it has been a year since I looked at

Does anyone know for real, not a fake answer, and it isn't a knock at all if he doesn't it is common, but does he create the head files from scratch, or did he purchase sub out or get open source and tweak?

Nope. Just pointing out how some people like to think they're the smartest people in the room as soon as they walk into and insult others by trying to outsmart.

And by the way its "insightful"...

;)

Nope. Just pointing out how some people like to think they're the smartest people in the room as soon as they walk into and insult others by trying to outsmart.

And by the way its "insightful"...

;)

So someone posts those stats about how many putters he tosses and you think it makes sense to mock someone else for repeating it? Makes sense

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Maybe you don't understand the process Tyson Lamb goes through.

Maybe to get the 16, he starts off with 160 that comes off the CNC machine.

Tyson Lamb then has to hand finish the putters in some sort of hand grinding and puffing process. He is human, so at the end of this process some of the putter heads aren't up to his standard. So now he's left with 100 putters.

Next step is engraving and stamping. He is human, so at the end of this process maybe he's not happy with how the stamping looks, maybe crooked, some letters are double stamped, so he pulls more putter heads that don't meet his level of quality. So now he's left with 40 putter heads.

Next step is paint-fill, Tyson Lamb is good with this, so no problem here, but maybe he's just not happy with some of his final products, so he pulls those, so at the end he's left with 25 putters, 16 to sell, the rest go to his friends and family.

For someone who knows alot more than everyone else about CNCs your gullibility is equally high. 150 to get 12? If you believe that I have some timeshares I gotta unload. You are obviously buying.

Maybe in the beginning during the tweaking of designs he may have had to do that. But to think that is what is happening now is foolhearted. And then there is the time to weld, twist, bling, stamp, etc.

Based on that he made 1250 to make 100 and there is more than that out there now.

Stay tuned for the PGA show offerings and what shows in Japan.

It's coming from statements being made by other supporters in this thread. People saying what makes his quality great is the putters he rejects.

I know what an acceptable CNC rejection rate is, and it's far less than the 85% posted above.

ok, I can see how fun this group is. Not for nothing but this is just justifying the fanboy hatethat is also here.

There is a kid that has a cnc, possibly can make files, and hand finishes amazing putters. Just don't ask any questions about how he is using the cnc or why only 2 heads or why no one can get any product. Please just be overly Excited about hardcovers and balmarkers coming out every so often. Like how do you make more covers than putters to cover? Whatever, there is a lot in place here to be very awesome, I think it is reasonable to ask why it isn't.

I freaking dig his work, and I also stand by my comment earlier. It's like any comment not placing him on a pedestal gets immediate lashes by the "inner circle".

If not for a good discussion on his work then what is it really for? I am an artist and approach his work via that angle. Machinists will have their own take, as will collectors and players. His work encompasses a good part of each and just because one of the parts is called into question does not mean the whole is bad. Like Bigmean, I think his true statement is in the finish work, the detail. It's clean, not overly complex and compliments the head design really well. Comparing to Lump, Tyson's work plays homage to the original, refining it and feels well dressed,, while Lump pushes the design/material and is more avant garde. Both are killer... This is without even talking about the workflow. Who knows why Tyson is not making and or pushing out putters. I would hazard a guess, based of my experience with similar craftsmen/artists, but you all would not be open to that conversation.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

ok, I can see how fun this group is. Not for nothing but this is just justifying the fanboy hatethat is also here.

There is a kid that has a cnc, possibly can make files, and hand finishes amazing putters. Just don't ask any questions about how he is using the cnc or why only 2 heads or why no one can get any product. Please just be overly Excited about hardcovers and balmarkers coming out every so often. Like how do you make more covers than putters to cover? Whatever, there is a lot in place here to be very awesome, I think it is reasonable to ask why it isn't.

I take a guess and say that he designs his own files and or at very least manipulates a stock design. Learning a CAD/CAM program is not that difficult and is a great way to save money by not hiring someone to do it for you. Not sure why more small goods than putters. He might contract much of that out so he can keep busy on the putter side. Like mentioned earlier, he may be busy with other machine work to pay the bills/cost of the CNC. He also may be interested in a lot of different other things.. No harm in having multiple hobbies. Someone also mentioned business model. There is nothing wrong with his approach, he may not have his sights solely on profit or being what many think of as a traditional business.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

The putters are great, but Tyson Lamb has the best ball markers i've ever seen.

I bet he can just do ball markers and make a good living selling them between 50-100 bucks easy, probably more for one offs.

I don't want to get them off eBay, so it's a bit frustrating.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

From the tone in this thread I think he should make some Xanax themed ball markers. "Roll the chill pill."

It seems to me that most people who are not in the "inner circle" and post are:

1. Genuinely complementary of the work.

2. Sincerely puzzled by the (seeming) lack of putter production.

3. Immediately put on blast by "the inner circle" for any opinion other than #1.

As I said before whatever the business plan is, it's Lamb's business and time will tell whether it works or not in the long run. If you guys really want to be #lambassadors I would be trying to turn customers (and critics) into fans not enemies.