PayPal horror stories?

the.batman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just make sure you understand the PayPal Terms of Service and buyer/seller rights.

I've used PayPal for many years and have had two disputes; once as a seller and once as a buyer. Both worked out in my favor; when you buy or sell using PayPal, make sure you save and document all correspondence regarding the transaction.

PayPal offers a very good service; Google Pay and Venmo are both excellent methods to send/receive money.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

I have actually tried to stop using PayPal via my account and simply paying direct to websites and checking out in eBay with our cards vs logging/ Iinking my PP account. I really can't stand having our bank account tied to PayPal and every time I try to get them to remove it they won't do it. Even when we pay via card and backup with another card they still tell me something is pending preventing them from removing our account. Hell we can even remove expired cards for the same reason.

Most likely will change our checking account number once we move and no longer use PayPal at all.

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

I've only had one dispute as a buyer and it was ruled in my favor. Item never received. So far no problems with any buyers.

As far as having a bank account tied to it. I have a separate account at a totally different bank tied to PayPal. Keep my wife and Is joint account totally isolated from online payments.

Ping G 9* - Oban Devotion
Wilson Staff D200 - Elements Chrome
Adams Speedline LP - Matrix Radix
Ping S55 5-PW - KBS Tour V
Ping Glide 50.56 - CFS
Seemore Si5

My bad experience was trying to delete a bank account I was closing from my PP wallet. "Pending" charges BS wouldn't let me remove it. It took a month of dealing with PP staff.

I like DJ's idea of a separate bank account only for PP. Transfer/deposit money to the account sufficient to cover purchases and don't expose your main account to their policies.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Paypal sucks out loud period for the little service they provide. Both seller and buyers get screwed royally at times. I could tell horror stories of their loopholes for buyers but I won't. Brings up too many bad memories. Let's just say never accept PayPal for anything over $500 and you will be a happier person in life.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lately I've been catching threads of people who seem to be having problems with PayPal automatically seizing funds due to purchaser complaints, and locking accounts for violations of apparent PayPal rules.

Looking for more feedback as I consider not using PayPal any longer.

Keep in mind that most "horror" stories read on line in an open forum, from anonymous posters, are only telling half the story at best.

Lately I've been catching threads of people who seem to be having problems with PayPal automatically seizing funds due to purchaser complaints, and locking accounts for violations of apparent PayPal rules.

Looking for more feedback as I consider not using PayPal any longer.

Keep in mind that most "horror" stories read on line in an open forum, from anonymous posters, are only telling half the story at best.

Ah, good point!

I've been fortunate and have never had a dispute, fingers crossed. However I only link my checking account long enough to transfer funds out of Paypal, then I delete the account. I have PayPal only linked to my Amex for new purchases so I get PayPal and Amex protection.

I'm sure PayPal can re-link my checking account based on history in their systems if they wanted to however that would be a pretty shady business practice.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

Not golf related, but I sold a brand new computer on ebay and after 3 month the buyer filed a claim through Paypal said "item not as described". I uploaded the receipt from Fedex showing item delivered with direct signature more than 3 months ago and guess what, Paypal refund his money because the buyer used CC and filed the claim through his/her CC company. Even worse, the buyer never shipped back my computer even Paypal told me they required him/her to sent it back since the payment had been refunded. I contacted Paypal about this issue and was told to contact police in buyer's state and sue the buyer if I want. WTH! The buyer is couple states away from me and how could it be possible for me to do that!?

My advice, if you want to buy something from ebay, use your CC and you are 300% protected by ebay, Paypal and your CC company. If you want to sell something on ebay, good luck because you will need it.

Not golf related, but I sold a brand new computer on ebay and after 3 month the buyer filed a claim through Paypal said "item not as described". I uploaded the receipt from Fedex showing item delivered with direct signature more than 3 months ago and guess what, Paypal refund his money because the buyer used CC and filed the claim through his/her CC company. Even worse, the buyer never shipped back my computer even Paypal told me they required him/her to sent it back since the payment had been refunded. I contacted Paypal about this issue and was told to contact police in buyer's state and sue the buyer if I want. WTH! The buyer is couple states away from me and how could it be possible for me to do that!?

My advice, if you want to buy something from ebay, use your CC and you are 300% protected by ebay, Paypal and your CC company. If you want to sell something on ebay, good luck because you will need it.

I'm not following this. The buyer filed a claim with his credit card company, but PayPal removed the funds from your account?

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I'm not following this. The buyer filed a claim with his credit card company, but PayPal removed the funds from your account?

Yes, buyer used CC through PayPal to pay for the item on ebay and filed claim through the CC company. The CC company then contacted PayPal and PayPal freeze the funds right away and required uploading my evidence.

A guy on Golf Club Traders FB page bought a couple Cobra tipped shafts from me. He put "GCT cobra" in the comment box. His payment was locked by "federal government security" to do a check into the purchase. Apparently, his tag set off red flags and they thought he was purchasing illegal reptiles. They said 10 business days to clear it up...took a month. Wasn't a huge concern for either of us, but we got a good laugh out of it. On a serious note though, it looks like some sort of federal agency is reviewing PP transactions.

The real problem with eBay and pp is that the case workers know absolutely nothing about anything. You get some minimum wage loser deciding your fate based on nothing more than his mood at the time. They're not trained in antiques, golf clubs, electronics or anything else for that matter.
Because there's a surplus of electronic, golf club, art, antique, collectibles, jewelry, fine china , etc experts out there hoping to land a minimum wage job answering phones in a cubicle 8 hrs a day.

Not golf related... About 8 years ago I sold a fridge on eBay, was a wedding gift a couple of years earlier and we had since upgraded. Buyer paid, got someone to come around and pick it up and everyone was happy. Well until I tried to withdraw the money from Paypal, they (Paypal) had decided because it was an "abnormally large amount", they would freeze the funds until I could provide, among other things, documentation stating I was an authorised reseller for that brand. Thought it would be a simple fix, rang up and explained that I wasn't a reseller, it was a second hand fridge which was received as a gift. Fair enough the Paypal rep said, all we will need is the original receipt and your ABN (business number) of which I had neither as 1, it was a gift, and 2, I wasn't a business! It went backwards and forwards for about 2 months like this and I finally lost patience and lodged a claim in the small claims court. Got the judgement, faxed it to Paypal and pretty soon the funds were released and I thought that was the end of the story.

Fast forward 6 months later, I received an email from Paypal stating that they had reviewed my complaint and had found in my favour and had refunded my money! I thought it must have been a scam email so went into Paypal to make sure nothing fishy was going on and sure enough, $700 was sitting in there! Contacted Paypal several times telling them there had been a mistake and I had already received my refund and just got the usual "thanks for letting us know, we will look into it" reply and nothing was ever done about it and it still sits in that account to this very day.

I have been with PayPal forever and a day. Tried to log on my work computer a few days ago. They now will not give you the option to verify yourself with a phone text or any other way. They expected me to change my password. (The one that hasn't been hacked in over 10 years) I politely declined the customer service rep and he restores my account so I can access it and print postage for some items I have sold.

Not even 5 minutes later, I get an email that they have deactivated my PP Debit Card. It took almost 3 hours on hold to get someone to finally reactivate it.

They really need to stop with the over the top security "for my protection." :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

A guy on Golf Club Traders FB page bought a couple Cobra tipped shafts from me. He put "GCT cobra" in the comment box. His payment was locked by "federal government security" to do a check into the purchase. Apparently, his tag set off red flags and they thought he was purchasing illegal reptiles. They said 10 business days to clear it up...took a month. Wasn't a huge concern for either of us, but we got a good laugh out of it. On a serious note though, it looks like some sort of federal agency is reviewing PP transactions.

This is the most disturbing post in this thread. There's an actual cobra black market in America? God, I thought normal, domestic snakes in the garden were frightening.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Buy with PP? You will be A-Ok.

But sell? Man it's a 50-50 gamble. Too many scammers out there, PP takes the side of the buyer much of the time, and they freeze money faster than the blink of an eye. Guilty until you prove yourself innocent and sadly sellers really aren't afforded a lot of protection.

What is REALLY sad is that there aren't that many online banking formats that offer security, reasonable fees, and are accepted by lots of sellers.

I can remember a situation back in 2000 when I buyer tried to claim that the irons I sold him were not as spec'd. PP did a great job for me back then and their investigation included my being able to present them with the original sales docs that showed the serial numbers and the specs. All along my funds were free and available and they found in my favor.

Same thing happens now I might as well start the return process.

Sad.....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft