2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Big, tall, or round golfer's. Get on in here.

Mods please don't close this topic.

There is great information being shared that can help a lot of people.

Agreed - great discussion in here. Very interesting.

Rybo - curious at what point you cut off your overlength. For example, while I feel very comfortable standing with a longer 9 iron in my hands, I think a driver that was 46.5" or something like that would feel very excessive. Somewhere between 45" and 45.75" feels to be the sweet spot for me.

I think how the head is entering and making impact in the hitting area must dictate the club length. Whatever length you need to have a square face and no toe down condition is the correct length. You can't arbitrarily pick it, let the club(s) tell you. Toe side hits of any kind it's too short. If you notice the dreaded fish hooked shaped tee marks along the sole of your driver, those that start near the center and exit on a curve towards the toe, the club is too short. Toe heavy divots, too short. Any feeling of having to reach the club, too short. Pop corn fades on what feels like a good swing.

More convinced then ever that shoulder height is the missing variable for an effective fitting chart. If my shoulders are say 8" or more higher from the ground then say someone who is 5' 8", something has to make up that distance. The differences in WTF doesn't get you there. Maybe it should be something like shoulder height dictates length, wtf dictates lie angle? Only using WTF doesn't account for the swing axis and/or starting point of the lever.

Swing plane is dictated by the shoulder turn. Taller people have a naturally higher starting point. It's quite simple but just never been stated before.

I get fish hook shaped tee marks on the bottom of my 46.5" superfast burner, are you telling me that means it is too short?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rybo - curious at what point you cut off your overlength. For example, while I feel very comfortable standing with a longer 9 iron in my hands, I think a driver that was 46.5" or something like that would feel very excessive. Somewhere between 45" and 45.75" feels to be the sweet spot for me.

I think how the head is entering and making impact in the hitting area must dictate the club length. Whatever length you need to have a square face and no toe down condition is the correct length. You can't arbitrarily pick it, let the club(s) tell you. Toe side hits of any kind it's too short. If you notice the dreaded fish hooked shaped tee marks along the sole of your driver, those that start near the center and exit on a curve towards the toe, the club is too short. Toe heavy divots, too short. Any feeling of having to reach the club, too short. Pop corn fades on what feels like a good swing.

More convinced then ever that shoulder height is the missing variable for an effective fitting chart. If my shoulders are say 8" or more higher from the ground then say someone who is 5' 8", something has to make up that distance. The differences in WTF doesn't get you there. Maybe it should be something like shoulder height dictates length, wtf dictates lie angle? Only using WTF doesn't account for the swing axis and/or starting point of the lever.

Swing plane is dictated by the shoulder turn. Taller people have a naturally higher starting point. It's quite simple but just never been stated before.

I get fish hook shaped tee marks on the bottom of my 46.5" superfast burner, are you telling me that means it is too short?

Well north since you are 6' 3" with those 39" WTF T-rex arms, yes that 46.5" driver may potentially be too short for you. You are taller then average so your shoulder height is higher and you definitely have short arms for someone your height. Something has to make up the difference and that would be a longer club since your arms aren't going to get any longer and your shoulders are not going to get any closer to the ground. But please tell me how I'm wrong and you are right.

Check out tallmangolf.com. They'd probably suggest +5" or so something close to that for someone with your body proportions.

Lastly if you'd like to contribute..then great. If you just want to come here to badger me and others then please go away. You're not helping anyone and actually you are potentially getting this thread closed. As someone who actually played golf for a living and still has a +2 handicap you might learn something. What is it with the 'Instruction and academy" section of golfwrx?

edit:

In 2009 you stated this in a post:

I just had 1/2" added to my irons in lieu of moving them more upright.

The lie board is still showing slightly towards the toe but ball flight has

been pretty good. Before the 1/2", my divots were toe deep, exagerated,

and the ball tended to push fade, since the 1/2" the divots are shallower

and the push fade is gone though I am still adjusting to the added length.

My tendency before adding the length was to move to a more upright lie, but

both my swing coach and my fitter wanted me to add length first as they didn't

want me getting too upright in my swing.

I would say your fitter and coach were and still are spot on with their assessment. I would only add in my opinion they likely haven't gone far enough.

Your words about toe deep, push fade and still showing slightly towards the toe echo my sediments almost exactly.

Tried something yesterday and it worked very well. So well played an entire set today in a scramble and the results were outstanding.

From the posts in this topic, yesterday decided to build a pw and a 4 iron using 95 gram Steelfibers at 38 1/4" and 41 1/4". Took them to the range to see two things. One, if a pitching wedge would be playable for me at this length and two, to see if a 4 iron built longer then anything I've attempted before would be something I could even hit. Well both worked great. So much so built the rest of the set using a straight 1/2" increments. Also built a 37 3/4" sand wedge for today's scramble using a 95 gram Nippon shaft. It was great too.

Must say I am shocked. Maybe all these years of trying to go longer without going too long was not the issue. It was just the fact that I was still not long enough. A 38 1/4" PW is as long as I've ever tried. It was such a natural feeling to be able to grip the club at address and not have to stoop over to be able to grip the club. I would say by most standards these are +2 1/2" over.

Do you feel like you're standing farther from the ball?

Not all that much with the wedges, more noticeable with the long irons. Definitely able to stand taller with better posture, no more slumping over. Interestingly I didn't bother to adjust the lie angles as I had no reference point to base any changes off of. Figured I hit them and see what happens. They are 1* upright and I'm making square divots

Edit:

Here is a pic of my divots from this morning.

Well north since you are 6' 3" with those 39" WTF T-rex arms, yes that 46.5" driver may potentially be too short for you. You are taller then average so your shoulder height is higher and you definitely have short arms for someone your height. Something has to make up the difference and that would be a longer club since your arms aren't going to get any longer and your shoulders are not going to get any closer to the ground. But please tell me how I'm wrong and you are right.

Check out tallmangolf.com. They'd probably suggest +5" or so something close to that for someone with your body proportions.

Lastly if you'd like to contribute..then great. If you just want to come here to badger me and others then please go away. You're not helping anyone and actually you are potentially getting this thread closed. As someone who actually played golf for a living and still has a +2 handicap you might learn something. What is it with the 'Instruction and academy" section of golfwrx?

edit:

In 2009 you stated this in a post:

I just had 1/2" added to my irons in lieu of moving them more upright.

The lie board is still showing slightly towards the toe but ball flight has

been pretty good. Before the 1/2", my divots were toe deep, exagerated,

and the ball tended to push fade, since the 1/2" the divots are shallower

and the push fade is gone though I am still adjusting to the added length.

My tendency before adding the length was to move to a more upright lie, but

both my swing coach and my fitter wanted me to add length first as they didn't

want me getting too upright in my swing.

I would say your fitter and coach were and still are spot on with their assessment. I would only add in my opinion they likely haven't gone far enough.

Your words about toe deep, push fade and still showing slightly towards the toe echo my sediments almost exactly.

Since then, I have had the 1/2" removed and the clubs set 2 degrees upright. No toe deep, better control, and I gained 5 yards.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Only 6 ' 3'' but would say if I didn't have my clubs lengthened and a few degrees upright I would have pretty severe issues. This is especially true with wedges, you absolutely have to get the lob and sand wedges at a length that is long enough so that you don't feel like the hunch back of Norte dame standing over ship shots.
I have the same setup and I agree. My new maltby wedges are way better than anything else I have tried off the rack, they are unbelievable so far.
Which particular model Maltby wedges are you referring to?

I got the M series. Here is a picture of my bag.

JIMOpdZ.jpg

Hmmm, I've got all the equipment at home to make my own clubs. I think I'll build a +2" 7 iron and just try it out. Are you guys doing anything to keep the SW down?

Use a lighter shaft and oversized grip. They balance each other out quite well with the longer lengths.

Steelfibers are known to swingweight light. However the Nippon 950 in the ported sand wedge swingweights kind of high but doesn't feel it.

Only 6 ' 3'' but would say if I didn't have my clubs lengthened and a few degrees upright I would have pretty severe issues. This is especially true with wedges, you absolutely have to get the lob and sand wedges at a length that is long enough so that you don't feel like the hunch back of Norte dame standing over ship shots.
I have the same setup and I agree. My new maltby wedges are way better than anything else I have tried off the rack, they are unbelievable so far.

JIMOpdZ.jpg

Very nice. Your own builds?

Did some research on body proportions and found some interesting data.

First if you are over 75.6" (6' 3 5/8") you fall into the last 1% of the population.

Next the study of human proportions is called anthropometry.

A pic of an anthropometric data chart that stops at 6' 2" to the top of the forehead, 6' 4.5" overall. I will use the 6' 2" measurement as there is no measurement provided for the overall height of the 5' 9" figure.

What can clearly be seen is the 6' 2" individual has a higher shoulder height and also wider shoulders compared to a 5' 9" indivdual. The WTF will also naturally be higher for the taller individual. The taller figure is simply bigger in every way.

The shoulder heights are 54.6" and 59" respectively. This is a difference of 4.4".

It looks like finger tip to ground measurements are provided at 26.1" and 28.3". Extrapolating these two data points lets say there is a 2" difference for what would be used as a WTF measurement.

Subtracting the 2" WTF difference from the 4.4" shoulder height difference leaves a 2.4" length that I feel goes unaccounted for when fitting a 6' 2" individual. This unaccounted for amount will only get larger as an individual goes up in height.

For a tall individual to maintain like body angles during a golf swing with those of an average height golfer, a +1" or +1.5" club falls woefully short of the 2.4" differences in body proportions.

I did not make any accommodations for the width differences of the shoulders, however the wider shoulders will only add to the overall difference and require a longer club length. The two fixed lengths of the arms will be brought closer to the widening 3rd leg of the triangle.

Let me attempt to put this in terms of required club length

If a standard 64*/35.75" PW correctly fits the average golfer then what does a known 2.4" difference in hand height do?

Using a right triangle calculator a 64*/35.75" club has an overall height of of 32.132".

Adding the 2.4" difference to this comes to 34.532"

Recalculating for a 64*/34.532" hand height generates a hypotenuse of 38.42", or club length.

38.42" - 35.75" = 2.67" difference. This +2.67" is probably a very good starting point for the true additional length required for someone who has a 59" shoulder height.

There is no need to use any of the differences in lengths above the shoulders. The shoulders rotate around a fixed spine and are what swing the arms. Any additional lengths beyond the shoulders have no bearing on the swing.

Very nice. Your own builds?

No I live 20 minutes away from the golfworks in newark, oh outlet store so I got fitted by them and they built everything for me.

I like these better than the AP2's I got fitted for, and the whole set was barely 300 dollars. Plus, they get way more attention than the big brands and perform well for me.

I would say if someone wanted to TRY a 7 iron in upright with longer shafts then check out maltby's at the golfworks website. They'll custom build/assemble for free, and if you are not satisfied you can return it for a full refund within like 3 months.Ralph Maltby apparently knows his stuff though because the TE's are sweet.

Let me attempt to put this in terms of required club length

If a standard 64*/35.75" PW correctly fits the average golfer then what does a known 2.4" difference in hand height do?

Using a right triangle calculator a 64*/35.75" club has an overall height of of 32.132".

Adding the 2.4" difference to this comes to 34.532"

Recalculating for a 64*/34.532" hand height generates a hypotenuse of 38.42", or club length.

38.42" - 35.75" = 2.67" difference. This +2.67" is probably a very good starting point for the true additional length required for someone who has a 59" shoulder height.

There is no need to use any of the differences in lengths above the shoulders. The shoulders rotate around a fixed spine and are what swing the arms. Any additional lengths beyond the shoulders have no bearing on the swing.

Very fascinating. What are your thoughts about playability of equipment past a certain point? For example, what are your thoughts on shaft flex when played significantly overlength? I know years ago I had a discussion with Howard Jones in a PM about what would equal a DG X100 at +1". His thought was that an X7, soft stepped once, would equal out. He commented that for each 0.5" over in DG, you have soft stepped it 1 time. So at +1.5", you've effectively gone down a whole flex. If you were to play your wedges at +2", seems to me that you start running into some flex issues. Love to hear your experiences on that. Maybe the answer is you start crossing over into the world of parallel tips and custom cycle fitting on each shaft. Starts to get really expensive if you don't have the know-how/equipment.

Also, does anyone know of any PGA pros that play with extreme specs? I've always been curious given their ability to tinker. Looks to me like Phil might play some longer stuff. I've often thought that Charlie Beljan looked like he plays underlength. Seriously - at 6'4", how long could this iron possibly be:

Very fascinating. What are your thoughts about playability of equipment past a certain point? For example, what are your thoughts on shaft flex when played significantly overlength? I know years ago I had a discussion with Howard Jones in a PM about what would equal a DG X100 at +1". His thought was that an X7, soft stepped once, would equal out. He commented that for each 0.5" over in DG, you have soft stepped it 1 time. So at +1.5", you've effectively gone down a whole flex. If you were to play your wedges at +2", seems to me that you start running into some flex issues. Love to hear your experiences on that. Maybe the answer is you start crossing over into the world of parallel tips and custom cycle fitting on each shaft. Starts to get really expensive if you don't have the know-how/equipment.

Cal-Lefty,

I just don't know, only four days into this. In uncharted territory for the most part. I will say reducing the shaft weight is pretty much a must. Built a 6 iron with the XP115 at 39 3/4" (the most it could without adding an extension) and it feels like a sledgehammer next to the 40 1/4" 6 iron with the Steelfiber i95. The longer 6 iron with the lighter shaft requires much less effort to swing and feels about right. it's not that the shorter/heavier 6 iron is unhittable, just that requires so much more effort to do the same thing. It's quite noticeable when swinging the clubs one after another.

The Steelfiber i95's are stiffs and they are probably too soft for my swing speed at any length. However I was throwing darts with them today on the range and will be used tomorrow during a round.

There is a fellow member at my club who is at least 6' 5" who plays a set of Pings at +2". His shoulders are higher then mine and has incredibly large hands. We played together twice last week and were discussing fittings both times. He has a good swing but it produces a very pronounced fade. He hit my clubs today and his very pronounced fade turned into a controlled draw. He also picked up about 15 yards on the PW. In all honesty the clubs still didn't look long enough for him. While his posture was better, but you could still see that little extra bend and reach. Not sure where that is headed but thought I'd share it with you.

Also I had one of our pros who over the years I have shared my frustrations with when it comes to club fitting/feeling uncomfortable come out and take a look. Showed him this topic and proceeded to walk him through the various aspects/pitfalls of being tall with clubs that are truly too short and how I had gotten to where I was. Then he watched me hit every club in the bag and saw how much better my posture is and how much easier it was for me to make a pass at the ball. He asked for the link to be forwarded to him so he could read all of it and he may post on here as I believe he is a member.

From Friday to today my confidence in this has gone through the roof. There are still things I am not sure about but want to get a few rounds with them before going much further/changing anything.

Some great stuff in this thread. I've been playing golf for 45 years. In the early 1980's I was 6-3 and not finished growing at 18 years old. My club pro used the static fitting chart to try to fit me for a set of Ping Eye2 irons. My wrist to floor was off the chart. He called into Ping and they said, give him plus 1-inch with green dot which was 2-degrees upright, I think. That was my first try at getting fit. It worked okay but was not quite right. More in subsequent posts...

...so anyway, reached my maximum height in my mid 20's of just over 6-5. A standard length wedge looks like a child's toy in my hands at address. Started hobby club building and experimented with all kinds of over length clubs, iron, woods, everything. Even tried irons at plus 4 inches. Also tried 1/4-inch and 3/8-inch steps and counter-weights to change swing weight. Came to the realization that you absolutely must start with your wedges and make those the shortest length you feel comfortable. Then progress up from there to the longest iron length where you feel comfortable. I settled on plus 2-inches with a 1/2-inch step. Longest iron I carry is a 3 but at the same shaft length as my 4 iron. My woods are all stock length as I feel fairly comfortable there.

Found that swing weight really means nothing. It's total weight, for me anyway, that is the key. It took me a while to find out that a 120 to 130 gram steel iron shaft at plus 2 inches was just too heavy, especially with the wedges. Finally found good quality graphite iron shafts in the 85 to 95 gram weights that were as stiff as steel (I played x-100's in my early adult years). It has taken me more that 20 years to get very close to feeling like an iron actually fits me.

I look forward to reading more posts in this thread. Hope I learn something new!

Some random thoughts

1%-2.5% of the entire US population is over 6' 2". That is an insanely small portion of the population. We are discussing fitting (and teaching) people on the very fringe of tall heights. This is an extreme fitting situation. Standard or known practices are basically out the window. For example strong players normally go with heavy shafts, and after doing a few cursory experiments, I'd say this is simply a no go. My previous attempts through the years always used mid to heavy shafts, didn't realize how detrimental this really was.

My body has adjusted to the additional length much better then my eyes. Visually it's so much different then I'm used to. Not sure exactly why but these clubs at 1* upright and much longer then I've ever played sometimes look like they are 3* flat. Weird. However while playing today it was around the 4th or 5th hole and my body was fighting me on staying down with the putter. The new more natural posture gravitated to my putter in that short amount of time and my body didn't like bending over more. Fought it all day. Felt super comfortable with the irons for maybe the first time ever in 34 years of playing golf.

My worries about chipping around the greens and hitting little knock down shots has proven to be a non issue. They were actually easier for thr most part. Felt like my hands had room to work.

Anthropometric data - where have you been hiding? Seeing that chart for the first time with the 3 different size individuals with the rising shoulder and arm lengths instantly brought everything together. So much for 'even though you're tall you may not need longer clubs' BS. If you are tall you most definitely need longer clubs, and much longer then we've been led to believe. You would literally have to be in the 1% of the 1% and have orangutan like arms or some serious torso issues to potentially not need longer clubs. The golf industry as a whole basically operates under the premise that everyone has similar WTF lengths, this absolutely gives anyone over 6' 2" zero chance to be fit correctly. Take some time and understand what these charts show and provide.

Anthropometric data - where have you been hiding? Seeing that chart for the first time with the 3 different size individuals with the rising shoulder and arm lengths instantly brought everything together. So much for 'even though you're tall you may not need longer clubs' BS. If you are tall you most definitely need longer clubs, and much longer then we've been led to believe. You would literally have to be in the 1% of the 1% and have orangutan like arms or some serious torso issues to potentially not need longer clubs. The golf industry as a whole basically operates under the premise that everyone has similar WTF lengths, this absolutely gives anyone over 6' 2" zero chance to be fit correctly. Take some time and understand what these charts show and provide.

Just curious and maybe I missed it in the thread. How tall are you and what is your WTF measurement ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

6' 4" without shoes and 38" or so with shoes, depending on the shoe of course.

So the old Ping chart would've had you at in a Silver which is 3.75° up and +1" (about the same length as Faldo @ 6'4") ... Ping's old chart has an 11" variance in WTF measurements. I hardly think Faldo would have been the same player with at +3 than +1. But obviously there are outliers like some in this thread that like to stand up taller during the swing for whatever reason. Whatever works for them/you ... but I would think Ping's chart as with others these days is pretty spot on.

Taylor Made Spider Mini

Shoulder height has to be used along with some measurement of the arm to determine a proper length for someone. And I'm not sold on using WTF anymore due to the large fluctuations in hand sizes that are in some of the anthropometric charts I've been reviewing.

I have large hands, literally squeeze into an XL glove. I also have a large palm length compared to the charts. Maybe measuring to a clinched fist or to the webbing in the fingers would be much more accurate as it would include the hand. WTF is convenient but it's quite limited in providing enough information. A floor to finger tip measurement is not good either as the hand is open.

So the old Ping chart would've had you at in a Silver which is 3.75° up and +1" (about the same length as Faldo @ 6'4") ... Ping's old chart has an 11" variance in WTF measurements. I hardly think Faldo would have been the same player with at +3 than +1. But obviously there are outliers like some in this thread that like to stand up taller during the swing for whatever reason. Whatever works for them/you ... but I would think Ping's chart as with others these days is pretty spot on.

The issue is not with the WTF. It's the complete lack of shoulder height. You simply can not group 6'4" - 6' 7". That's almost the difference you see in those charts.

The issue is not with the WTF. It's the complete lack of shoulder height. You simply can not group 6'4" - 6' 7". That's almost the difference you see in those charts.

There's some wiggle room in those charts as well ... all other things equal, at 6'4" you'd be at +1 and at 6'7" you'd be at +1.5. I'm sure if you were 6'6", you could've been put into +1.25. Same with the WTF. Also, this was a general guide as every Ping fitter should've checked lie angle with your swing.

Ghost,

What is your height?

Little over 6'2"

Taylor Made Spider Mini

Would appreciate any suggestion to this question.

With extended clubs, should I still be same distance from ball?

Reason I ask, when standing same distance, more upright spine, etc, I am not making great contact, chunking a few, and shanked 1-2. When standing slightly further from ball than normal, I'm able to swing a slightly flatter plane. My norm is a inside take away, with steep plane, and very high trajectory. So few moving parts here as I'm also working on swinging around my body more, flatter. Either way, standing what I'm perceiving as further from ball, I'm making much better contact, and more penetrating flight, with my attempt to swing slightly flatter. Could never swing flatter before as club wouldn't reach ground. Test clubs are 6&9 iron 2 degrees up and 2" over, 1.25" over historically. I'm 6'6".

Dan

Would appreciate any suggestion to this question.

With extended clubs, should I still be same distance from ball?

Reason I ask, when standing same distance, more upright spine, etc, I am not making great contact, chunking a few, and shanked 1-2. When standing slightly further from ball than normal, I'm able to swing a slightly flatter plane. My norm is a inside take away, with steep plane, and very high trajectory. So few moving parts here as I'm also working on swinging around my body more, flatter. Either way, standing what I'm perceiving as further from ball, I'm making much better contact, and more penetrating flight, with my attempt to swing slightly flatter. Could never swing flatter before as club wouldn't reach ground. Test clubs are 6&9 iron 2 degrees up and 2" over, 1.25" over historically. I'm 6'6".

Dan

Post a swing with each length if you can ... you'll get the appropriate help from the pros here.

Taylor Made Spider Mini

There's some wiggle room in those charts as well ... all other things equal, at 6'4" you'd be at +1 and at 6'7" you'd be at +1.5. I'm sure if you were 6'6", you could've been put into +1.25. Same with the WTF. Also, this was a general guide as every Ping fitter should've checked lie angle with your swing.

Ghost,

What is your height?

Little over 6'2"

Well the ping chart and rep failed then because I have a brand new set of pings sitting in the garage that came in the second week of August. So short I gave up on them after 3 rounds and 2 practice sessions. 100% scouts honor. I'll be happy to send you a pic of the build card.

Please do the math from the charts. These charts are for determining ergonomic needs. Golf posture is an ergonomic function.

Taller people need bigger things, longer clubs are just one of them. Proportionally someone like yourself who is 6' 2" has a 4.4" higher shoulder but only a 2" longer arm. Where or how are you going to make up that missing 2.4" of length? The only way possible is to lower the shoulder 2.4" by some means, stooping, slumping, rolling, bending at the waist, etc. If the club is more upright the swing plane is steeper. And here we go starting down the road to causing other issues.

Or you can just make the club longer. And for someone your height/shoulder height it will be about 2.67" longer.