2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New 2017 TaylorMade M1 Driver?

ConfusedGolfer3412

Did you order directly from taylor made without factoring in the standard 1 inch tipping? My experience last year with the 430 was ruined by not knowing this because I have to order through golftown in Canada and the Canadian website you can't order custom. Lesson learned but I do still love Taylor made. I also strayed with getting a heavier shift the stock rogue silver 70. Big mistake. I am a sub 70 gram x stuff vs 78 gram. That and the tipping fiasco did me in.

Not everything is tipped 1"...

Different shafts have different build specs...

TM custom standard is 1" tipping for a driver regardless of manufacturer. Aldila has no tipping requirements for driver shafts.

I've always been curious. Why does TM tip their driver shafts?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

Did you order directly from taylor made without factoring in the standard 1 inch tipping? My experience last year with the 430 was ruined by not knowing this because I have to order through golftown in Canada and the Canadian website you can't order custom. Lesson learned but I do still love Taylor made. I also strayed with getting a heavier shift the stock rogue silver 70. Big mistake. I am a sub 70 gram x stuff vs 78 gram. That and the tipping fiasco did me in.

TM custom standard is 1" tipping for a driver regardless of manufacturer. Aldila has no tipping requirements for driver shafts.

One of the world's great unsolved mysteries. Like roswell, stonehenge, the pyramids...etc.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

Just saw these for the first time today. Wow does the 460 look absolutely massive. It makes the 440 look like a 300cc head in comparison. Didn't have time to hit them but plan on it soon

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

I believe TM listed the HZRDUS RED as a free upgrade option. However, it is not listed on their site as an option. Does anyone know if that shaft has not been added?

TM's website is infamous for being all over the place whenever their new releases come live. I think the Hazrdus Red will be available, all of their Hazrdus offerings are mass production versions, not the Handcrafted versions by the way.

I did a custom order and asked for 1" tip (says firm). Does this mean they are tipping 2" or am I good?

Just an update: I went to my fitting yesterday expecting to buy the 2017 m1 or m2. Fitter also wanted me to try the older models too. To my surprise I hit the 2016 m2 better than the new ones. Granted it was only slightly better (a few yards at most) but the feeling was a lot better. I do not like the high pitched "ting" sound some drivers make and the 2016 definetly felt softer than the new ones. Also I was hitting it off the toe for most of the fitting so that could contribute but I still got good numbers. With my 110 swing speed I was launching it around 12 degrees with 2200 rpm and carrying it over 270 (even though almost all were off the toe). I was using the aldila rogue silve 70g Stiff shaft which was great for my previously high launch with my old driver/shaft. Point is, I did not see any improvement in performance compared to previous model and the sound that the claimed to have improved was actually worse for me. Overall, Taylormade makes great drivers and I was suprised that I could still achieve decent numbers even though I wasn't swinging that great.

I did a custom order and asked for 1" tip (says firm). Does this mean they are tipping 2" or am I good?

You should be good. I just ordered 2017 M1 w/ Graphite Design AD TP 6X and requested 1/2" tipping. I called right after my order and talked to a guy (I believe his name was Aaron? or Darren? idk...) and told him I wanted to ensure it was tipped 1/2" and not 1 1/2".

He told me w/ a few exceptions, everything being shipped out is automatically tipped 1" - hence why you can "un-tip" them 1" on the custom site.

That being said, if you have a specific request via custom orders, it is based entirely on your request. So once you've requested -1/2" tipped firm, they scrap the original 1" they would have tipped the shaft.

But if you tip them for softness - that is taken from the 1" automatic tipping. Long story short - if you want the driver to play 100% standard - you are going to want to tip it 1" soft

Just an update: I went to my fitting yesterday expecting to buy the 2017 m1 or m2. Fitter also wanted me to try the older models too. To my surprise I hit the 2016 m2 better than the new ones. Granted it was only slightly better (a few yards at most) but the feeling was a lot better. I do not like the high pitched "ting" sound some drivers make and the 2016 definetly felt softer than the new ones. Also I was hitting it off the toe for most of the fitting so that could contribute but I still got good numbers. With my 110 swing speed I was launching it around 12 degrees with 2200 rpm and carrying it over 270 (even though almost all were off the toe). I was using the aldila rogue silve 70g Stiff shaft which was great for my previously high launch with my old driver/shaft. Point is, I did not see any improvement in performance compared to previous model and the sound that the claimed to have improved was actually worse for me. Overall, Taylormade makes great drivers and I was suprised that I could still achieve decent numbers even though I wasn't swinging that great.

Boss@ .2 HDCP , the strike cant be that terrible :-)

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

M1/M2 2017 - Got these on track man the other day, well only the M1 w/ my AD DI 8x tipped 1.5". Better sound and feel from 2016, I expected the m1 to perform much like the 2016 m2 in terms of spin etc- from what I read the m1 was going to be more like the2016 m2 . Granted I tried the 2017 460 8.5* and and 2017 9.5* 440, out of the two I liked the 460 8.5 the best with the addi and hazardous where great in the head, BUT, damn spin was too low, m1 8.5 2017 1400 - 1900 , I am looking for about 2200 , have 2-3 + aoa . Issue being LA with the m1 2017 8.5 was good with around 12* , granted the head really could be 9.5* measured loft. The 440 and 460 really held the ball online. Need to test an 2017 M2

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Anyone know what shaft Graeme storm has in his woods?

I thought this 1" trim was to make it play the same as pre-adapter era drivers (with same shaft). In other words, to make it play like the old normal for a given shaft ...

That was my thinking too but most tips are only 5-7g. Does it really make that much of a difference? Maybe 1/4-1/2" tipping would make up for 5-7g no?

I thought since "made for" shafts are usually weaker in the tip than it's real deal counterpart, the tipping would firm up the made for making it more true to flex.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

It makes a huge difference. I've never had issues elevating the low spin low launch of any Aldila shafts including the famous protopype and rip phenom nl (tour x flex) And with sldr 430 8.5 to boot, apparently the driver no one could spin and I had amazing launch with. When I uncovered that my custom order last year was tipped for a vanilla 70x silver rogue it explained why I couldn't elevate the ball at all with low right dead slices.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

My guess would be that we have fallen in love with "low spin" drivers and tipping reduces the spin even more. Just my thoughts.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | G430 3 Hybrid |  ZX7 MKII 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I always thought the oems tip the driver shafts according to the shaft manufacturer's instructions. That's how my first taylormade driver was built, along with titleist, cobra, and Nikes. Usually a half inch

I'm dying to hit these but not sure if I should wait until golf season starts and I've been swinging a bunch before I get fit

I'm betting it's a knockoff

Still betting?

Driver: Callaway Paradigm 9.0+ Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
3 Wood: Titleist trs3 15* Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
5 Wood: Titleist trs3 18* Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Irons: Taylormade P790 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5 
Wedge: Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 DG S400  
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

It makes a huge difference. I've never had issues elevating the low spin low launch of any Aldila shafts including the famous protopype and rip phenom nl (tour x flex) And with sldr 430 8.5 to boot, apparently the driver no one could spin and I had amazing launch with. When I uncovered that my custom order last year was tipped for a vanilla 70x silver rogue it explained why I couldn't elevate the ball at all with low right dead slices.

they tip them an inch because of the adaptor, like 5 years ago I had them not tip it so it would just go straight in and it didnt play right. Tip was very active for the shaft

they tip them an inch because of the adaptor, like 5 years ago I had them not tip it so it would just go straight in and it didnt play right. Tip was very active for the shaft

Isn't it depending on what the manufacturer says? Like Aldila in their tipping instructions says driver 0'' tipping, 3w/5w 1'' then cut to length from the butt?

"We recommend trimming the driver shaft to length from the butt. Tip fairway woods 1″, then trim to length from the butt. For hosels with bore-depths greater than 2″, we recommend blind-boring the shaft in the hosel 1 3/4″.

Getting fit for this tonight. Very anxious, I want to love it. Hate the look of my LTD but the numbers don't lie

Keep us posted how it goes.

TM Stealth2+ - Diamana S+ 6x
17' TM M2 15* 3 wood - Tensei Blue 7x
Nike VR Forged Combo 3-PW - Hard stepped Project X 6.0
TM MG Wedges - 52, 58
Custom Nike Oven Method 006, Toulon Las Vegas

Looking at getting the M1 440, but I could never get last years M1 to work for me. Tried 430 head, tried Tour issue heads, tried 460 heads. None of them could perform like my R15 430 12* head. Any thoughts from those who have hit the 2017?

2017 M1 440 is the forgiveness of 460 with the spin rates of 430. It's much improved from 2016 430. I would say no question it's the member of the 2017 M family with the largest improvement.

damn it, no KK DC 70g !!

I know. Only the 60. I wondered if it was even the real 60 too since it was no upcharge.

It is, but remember this is just the replacement of the silver tini. It is NOT Kuro Kage xt like day or rory plays. That's a whole different animal all together.

I loved silver tini 70g. I just tried 70xt (albeit on my fwy) and it was WAYY too light. Maybe because it was from Japan? Anyways, I couldn't time it at all. what's so special about xt other than tours play?

damn it, no KK DC 70g !!

I know. Only the 60. I wondered if it was even the real 60 too since it was no upcharge.

It is, but remember this is just the replacement of the silver tini. It is NOT Kuro Kage xt like day or rory plays. That's a whole different animal all together.

I loved silver tini 70g. I just tried 70xt (albeit on my fwy) and it was WAYY too light. Maybe because it was from Japan? Anyways, I couldn't time it at all. what's so special about xt other than tours play?

The Tour guys play a dual core proto with 46t carbon, longer ti nickel fibers, and a stiffer tip. It's a much more stout, lower spin, more expensive to produce version, and it's very very low spin. You won't find that one on any OEM shaft list, as it's Tour only and comes in only TX flex.