#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that we haven't really discussed here, was that we spent an hour talking with Chip Brewer in essentially a group session where we got to pepper him with questions. For me, this was really one of the most fun parts of the trip. He really seemed to have fun answering them, and seemed to do it honestly.

I don't recall the full hour, but some of my takeaways:

-Chip has created an atmosphere there of people who love golf, from the top on down. Everyone there seems to love golf and talking about it

-The employees love Chip. There were 3-4 different guys we met with who, unprovoked, mentioned how great it's been since he got there

-Chip mentioned caring about innovation mostly even more than cost, he will put money into R&D, he will let the engineers take chances even if it costs them more money. The heads of product line seemed to love this about him, they felt like they had very little restrictions.

-He feels that tour presence is vital but they will not chase "count" totals. They want to have a staff of guys they like for various reasons, but they won't pay guys to win driver count totals, not their strategy

-He spoke highly of PXG and thought they were a very interesting company. I don't get the impression he saw them as a real competitor in their space but maybe i'm wrong

-I asked them about the changing retail market and if they thought about how to get clubs to consumers , and they basically said they were confident that they were pushing fitting well enough to be succesful in the pro shops too

-They seemed actually a bit cognizant of that if this goes really well, it may be difficult to top it on the next release, as they think this really is a breakthrough. It did get mentioned that they understand the next product line might end up being seen as a letdown

-I asked specifically about 2 year product cycles. They said one year put too much pressure on the engineers and didn't give enough time for feedback. I asked about doing 3 year cycles and if i recall the answer was that they also wanted to stay fresh

-He talked proudly of the Xhot woods release, as that was one of the first under him i think. Apparently they delayed the launch because they didn't think they had it right the first time. One of the signs that they cared about the product and only bringing things to market they believed in

Hmmmm, i'm trying to think of more. It was a really fun hour

If I may, good tidbit about that line specifically. Chip came in right around halfway through the 'new' product cycle. He met with the engineers and R&D team to find out what was coming out. When looking at what they were going to release, he asked the question, "Is this the best you can do or the best you can do with your current budget?" The answer was obviously the second one, so they scrapped everything and basically started from scratch. They did delay the release a little bit, but not much, so they really had slightly more than 1/2 a previously "normal" release cycle. The XHot series of woods was fantastic and a massive success, but I think they're still kinda underrated given what those guys did in that time.

It was after hearing this when I really started to get excited about Callaway making a real comeback to the company some of us, old enough to remember, used to love.

Apologies if someone already posted this, I'm a few pages behind on the thread :)

I spoke to one member on the R&D staff, and he told me they essentially got permission to runaway with their creativity.

Do any of you guys who did the wedge fitting know, does the PM grind have the C grind or is it just a totally different animal sole-wise?

You kinda answered your own question. It has the PM grind. It's like a combination of C and U grinds with a whole lotta Phil

I have it in 58-degrees. Love that wedge, along with the "regular" 54.

Do any of you guys who did the wedge fitting know, does the PM grind have the C grind or is it just a totally different animal sole-wise?

You kinda answered your own question. It has the PM grind. It's like a combination of C and U grinds with a whole lotta Phil

Sean, did you go with steel in the wedges or go with the Recoils? If Recoil, 95 or 110?

Both are 460cc.

I'm seeing that there's a 440cc version in 9 degrees loft listed on the USGA site. Not sure if that one made it out of lockdown?

Could've sworn they said both were 460cc. I don't think mine is 440. Maybe a tour head only or something

Both are 460. 440 won't see retail

2016 Sub Zero is 440 is someone really wants one.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I have the subzero, pretty sure they said it was 460. There may be other heads coming in the future I have no idea about those. But believe the retail offerings will be 460cc in both heads for those without connections

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Sorry I forgot what year we were lol. I've had like 7 moscow mules

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume they're pretty good.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

Sean, did you go with steel in the wedges or go with the Recoils? If Recoil, 95 or 110?

Since they are +2-inches, I went with Recoil 460s to keep the swing weight down.

Sorry I forgot what year we were lol. I've had like 7 moscow mules

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume they're pretty good.

Baker's half-dozen. Giddyup.

I'm still waiting for your review :D

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I reread the testers comments and summarized the new driver performance improvements:

Two of the testers gained approximately 5 yards.

Four of the testers gained 10-15 yards.

One tester stated that he gained 5 mph ball speed, which computes to approximately 10 more yards.

One tester didn't state the yardage gained, but increased ball speed by 14 mph which is easily an improvement of 20 yards plus.

100% of the testers had gains in distance.

75% had gains of 10 yards and more.

The reasons for the increases vary of course, please read their commentary for details.

For me, if there is a chance to pick up 10+ yards, I'm in!

I reread the testers comments and summarized the new driver performance improvements:

One tester stated that he gained 5 mph ball speed, which computes to approximately 10 more yards.

One tester didn't state the yardage gained, but increased ball speed by 14 mph which is easily an improvement of 20 yards plus.

The reasons for the increases vary of course, please read their commentary for details.

The largest gain was 26yds of carry... Which is insane. I wish that was me.

My gain also came with a ball flight I liked the look of more. My trajectory was a little flatter and it just gave me more confidence hitting it. Which is showing on my on course use of the club. Only missed 3 fairways at Torrey and then only missed 2 fairways the next day at Aviara. I'll get a little more on course feedback this week playing my home course. I'm probably the only one of the group that lives somewhere that I can still get golf in at home.

I'm not a callaway fan, don't have one callaway club in the bag, but that is impressive.

Saying that, Lief, let me know when you get these heads in to hit. Driver and 3 wood please.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I'm not a callaway fan, don't have one callaway club in the bag, but that is impressive.

Saying that, Lief, let me know when you get these heads in to hit. Driver and 3 wood please.

I was in the same boat before the trip. Only thing I had was a couple of Odyssey putters that made appearances in the bag from time to time. I can now say I'm a HUGE fan of the people at Callaway everyone was genuine and kind. They without a doubt love golf as much as we do and that's from top to bottom.

The equipment is also very good. The new wedges and the driver are the stand outs to me. Unfortunately the new putters weren't for me but the RSX is a very good fit. If you're in the market for a new driver (which everyone on WRX is) you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least give the Callaway drivers a test.

Could you summarize what clubs each tester was coming from? It's one thing if they are all hitting 2016 or 2015 models to be gaining 5+ yards, but not that impressive if it's 5+ year old drivers.

For sure that is significant yardage, however for me it would have to translate into lower scores. The local demo day can't get here fast enough, really looking forward to trying the EPIC and how it stacks up against my M2.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Could you summarize what clubs each tester was coming from? It's one thing if they are all hitting 2016 or 2015 models to be gaining 5+ yards, but not that impressive if it's 5+ year old drivers.

There was a mix of drivers, mostly new within 1-2 years.

I believe I had the oldest driver, a Ping Anser. I also gained the second most yards. Fwiw the driver length was the same and shaft was very similar (ahina vs D+)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I believe I had the oldest driver, a Ping Anser. I also gained the second most yards. Fwiw the driver length was the same and shaft was very similar (ahina vs D+)

Then I'm very anxious for somebody to review a properly fit M1 vs the SZ. I'm never one to buy a club new, but if I could gain 10+ yards every drive, that would be nice. 5 isn't worth buying new IMO, but 10+ could be.

Now the question is what shafts are offered at no upcharge.

For sure that is significant yardage, however for me it would have to translate into lower scores. The local demo day can't get here fast enough, really looking forward to trying the EPIC and how it stacks up against my M2.

Another 10 yards is one shorter club on the approach shot, That should increase your chances of shooting a lower score.

SZ with weight back vs LTD Pro will be very interesting to see the numbers on. They must be quite similar CG wise. Only thing is you can get LTD's for like $150 right now, steal

I haven't hit the LTD but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I was on the verge of purchasing one when I got tapped for this trip.

I would love to see a head-to-head from someone in the coming months who owns both.

any info on the new wedges, besides the fact that they are forged?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Then I'm very anxious for somebody to review a properly fit M1 vs the SZ. I'm never one to buy a club new, but if I could gain 10+ yards every drive, that would be nice. 5 isn't worth buying new IMO, but 10+ could be.

Now the question is what shafts are offered at no upcharge.

I'm more interested in lower spin and better dispersion. 5-10 yds on average would just be icing.

I think the real question is whether those same gains could be made with a tour level fitting into ANY manufacturer's current driver offerings. New Callaway product definitely sounds good, but I remain more jealous of the ECPC fitting experience than the clubs themselves.

I think the real question is whether those same gains could be made with a tour level fitting into ANY manufacturer's current driver offerings. New Callaway product definitely sounds good, but I remain more jealous of the ECPC fitting experience than the clubs themselves.

You will probably get the same gains IMO as there isnt anything they can do to give you that much extra distance with drivers these days,sorry just my opinion

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

14 mph is awesome. sign me up

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Only one way to find out and that's hit the club!

As far as tour level fitting. Paul mentioned a couple of pages back that he hit the new driver with the exact same shaft and saw gains (he played the DBD so the shaft was compatible, he just swapped it from one head to another)

I think it's a nice head. Certainly surprised me. Now I haven't hit the 2017 m1 or M2 or jpx900 so I'm not going to tell you its the best this or that. But I think it would be a good idea to test it for guys looking for a new driver

Deschamps Crisp Antique