#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Great info on this thread, thanks to those that went and did an outstanding job filling us in along the way.

Question for those who went, what was the difference in fittings between a place like Cool Clubs and what went on at Callaway (besides different club manufacturers obviously)? Thanks!

I've never been to a real fitting at a place like Cool Clubs or Club Champion so I cannot offer a fair comparison. However, getting fit by folks that fit tour players has to add at least 1,000 cool points.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rod has a special wedge i can tell you that!!!!

my stuff is basically right off the rack. Only cool thing i can say is that the SZ driver i have was at the ECPC for Phil i believe until he cancelled his appointment there. At least as legend has it.

I'm telling everyone i have Phil's driver.

LOL, will that be from adjoining fairways?

Did you see my swing video from #1 at Torrey? I missed the fairway by like 20 yards. It HAS to be his!

I love Phil and that's funny! :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Mackepa, sorry if this has been asked but what's an AD TP?

New version of a Graphite Design shaft. Should play a little more stiff than the AD DI.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

So am i correct in deducing that everyone of you liked all the callaway clubs better than what you have been playing?

Driver, yes by a wide margin

3 wood and hybrid i don't know that i gained anything tangible that will affect scores, but i like the clubs. I like having the D+ in both which is a shaft i know. So they have that going for them

Irons just based on the fitting i gained some yards so let's go with yes right now

Wedges i prefer the feel of my previous wedges but will keep the Callaways in the bag to give them a go

Putter it's hard to say, i just bought a custom putter before going. But i'll give the Odyssey a go. Fitter seemed to think it would work for me

Hey Jeff,

Just curious what wedges and putter you were playing before?

Thanks.

Ryan

Wedges were Mizuno mpr12 for 4-5 years.

Putter for most of 2016 was a seemore big fgp

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Special invite and tour only for the ECPC.

The $150 fitting is at HQ and is on their proprietary simulator. And $100 of that fee can be applied to the purchase of your clubs. That fitting has the 6 month waiting list.

Did you happen to have any comparison data on your M2 vs Epic? I think your review was really the one everyone was waiting for in regards to that. I'd love to see the launch/spin/ball speed hard data, as that aspect of your review is the only reason I've been reading this thread for the last week. :)

Mackepa, sorry if this has been asked but what's an AD TP?

The "TP" definitely doesn't stand for tour preferred :swoon:

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I didn't really pay attention to smash factor that much during my fitting either. I looked soley at ballspeed.

Could you give feedback on my question regarding shafts and lighter heads? Thanks

Sure, I told my fitter that I always feel so hunched over the ball and i've always felt best with irons around +1". The downside being the shafts come out weaker due to being so long and swing weights are through the roof. Nick felt I sacrificed a bit of control with them being so long but understood the need for the length. we decided on only going 3/4" over standard and getting some light heads from the pro building room to get them as close to D1 as possible.I believe Nick said evenwith the light heads they'd probably still come out around D2 or D3.

How was your control and distance(change in clubhead speed) with the new clubs to your previous set? How has it affected the feelings in your swing with the new irons? Thanks again for your feedback.

When doing the iron fittings, do they just hit one iron with different shafts, like a 6 or 7 iron and base off that? Or would they mix in some other lofts too? I would always want to confirm iron choices by making sure I could hit the 3 or 4 iron of that set, or would I need to go a different direction with long irons.

I didn't really pay attention to smash factor that much during my fitting either. I looked soley at ballspeed.

Could you give feedback on my question regarding shafts and lighter heads? Thanks

Sure, I told my fitter that I always feel so hunched over the ball and i've always felt best with irons around +1". The downside being the shafts come out weaker due to being so long and swing weights are through the roof. Nick felt I sacrificed a bit of control with them being so long but understood the need for the length. we decided on only going 3/4" over standard and getting some light heads from the pro building room to get them as close to D1 as possible.I believe Nick said evenwith the light heads they'd probably still come out around D2 or D3.

How was your control and distance(change in clubhead speed) with the new clubs to your previous set? How has it affected the feelings in your swing with the new irons? Thanks again for your feedback.

When doing the iron fittings, do they just hit one iron with different shafts, like a 6 or 7 iron and base off that? Or would they mix in some other lofts too? I would always want to confirm iron choices by making sure I could hit the 3 or 4 iron of that set, or would I need to go a different direction with long irons.

It was a 1/4" difference and maybe a couple of grams with the head weight. My swing speed stayed pretty much the same.

We were really pressed for time so we mostly hit 6 irons. I did hit a couple 4 irons.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

For my fitting I hit my own 6 iron for a baseline and then hit a 7 iron fitting club with interchangeable shafts. Since I'm a lefty there was a limited supply of fitting clubs. When I hit the MB 7 iron I hit it really well and Gerritt said the shorter blade length and thinner sole fit my swing better than the larger headed clubs like the Apex or Steelhead. Once we settle on the MB, he had a set with S400 in them so I could try every club. The 5-PW were really good, but I didn't quite get along with the 4 iron; I needed a little more forgiveness.

He liked the S400 for me but I told him I had played them in the past and they get spinny on me in the wind, and also cause me elbow pain with extended use. He agreed to move on to another shaft. He suggested the Modus 130 because the heavier shaft was good for my tempo. I tried the Modus in the fitting 7 iron and got really good number with a little higher launch. He said I shouldn't experience issues in the wind with the Modus 130 like I have with DG shafts.

PXG Bat Attack H

That's an excellent question because i am 100% the same way. I will not pick an iron set unless i can hit the 21/22 degree iron

What i did for my fitting was hit mostly 6/7 irons to pick shafts. I tried 5-6 different shafts i don't even remember all of them. Nippons and PX for sure, and then one of the KBS models (maybe Tour V). I didn't like any of them and my best numbers were with the plain old S300 again.

After i had done that i asked them to get me a 4 iron so i could take a bunch of swings with that club aswell and make sure i could hit it. Like you, i specifically asked for it because i have to use 4 iron a lot at my course.

The Apex Pro i found launches high enough

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The $150 fitting is at HQ and is on their proprietary simulator. And $100 of that fee can be applied to the purchase of your clubs. That fitting has the 6 month waiting list.

Did you happen to have any comparison data on your M2 vs Epic? I think your review was really the one everyone was waiting for in regards to that. I'd love to see the launch/spin/ball speed hard data, as that aspect of your review is the only reason I've been reading this thread for the last week. :)

I have a some data I'm trying to clean up for this. Will take a couple days but I should get it.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I have a some data I'm trying to clean up for this. Will take a couple days but I should get it.

Awesome. I think I can speak for many guys on here by saying that any hard data of Epic SZ vs M1/M2 would be the star of the show.

I currently have the XR. It launches a little too high and spins too much for me (I know shaft plays just as large a role here). I am not a fan at all of the Ms at address. The white top makes them look huge to me. Oddly though, I don't get that feeling with the woods which I love. I'm mostly interested in a low spin, forgiving driver that doesn't lose distance. The Unicorn.

Great info on this thread, thanks to those that went and did an outstanding job filling us in along the way.

Question for those who went, what was the difference in fittings between a place like Cool Clubs and what went on at Callaway (besides different club manufacturers obviously)? Thanks!

I've done a club champion fitting before. They have the variety of club heads and shafts. The big difference for me was a grass range. My club champion fitting was indoors and restricted to the first 10 yds of flight.

The other negative for the indoor fitting is the grass mat. I noticed a huge difference for the wedge and iron fitting off of grass when compared to a mat. Turf interaction is huge when being fit for those and when you have a steep swing or take a big divot, it's impossible to see those things when everything bounces off the ground.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Horrid,

I see you went with the S flex in irons and X in woods. I know the 130's play a little strong to flex but you don't experience spin issues with them?? What are you SS and carry numbers with your 7i?

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Horrid,

I see you went with the S flex in irons and X in woods. I know the 130's play a little strong to flex but you don't experience spin issues with them?? What are you SS and carry numbers with your 7i?

The 130S does play fairly stout for an S flex. I was getting ~7,000 rpm with the 7 iron; just about perfect. They launch and peak a little higher than the Tour V I was playing, but nothing obscene. I don't recall ss with the 7 iron, but it was 87-90 with the 6 iron, carrying 170-175 with ~6,000 rpm, if memory serves.

I didn't get any photos of my Trackman data, I wish I had.

PXG Bat Attack H

I've done a club champion fitting before. They have the variety of club heads and shafts. The big difference for me was a grass range. My club champion fitting was indoors and restricted to the first 10 yds of flight.

The other negative for the indoor fitting is the grass mat. I noticed a huge difference for the wedge and iron fitting off of grass when compared to a mat. Turf interaction is huge when being fit for those and when you have a steep swing or take a big divot, it's impossible to see those things when everything bounces off the ground.

I think the fact that your fitting was done on grass, outside on a range makes it so much better and more accurate. That's how it should be done in a perfect world!

I think the fact that your fitting was done on grass, outside on a range makes it so much better and more accurate. That's how it should be done in a perfect world!

Completely agree. Perfect worlds don't get to happen in Chicago around march though. Prettty sure it's the opposite.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Completely agree. Perfect worlds don't get to happen in Chicago around march though. Prettty sure it's the opposite.

Ya, up here most fittings are done inside on a sim (which I don't like) with very few shaft options. For those fittings that are done outside, the number of clubs/shaft options are limited to try as well, at least where I live. Most of my club purchases are made through trial and error because of this sad reality. This website helps educate us though so there is less crossing fingers when making big purchases.

Hey guys, just curious if any of the Magnificant 8 hit any of Callaway 2016 drivers during your fittings? XR16, GBB or 816 DBD to see how much better the new 2017 driver is compared to those. Or did they just hand the new models to everyone to test against your gamer drivers?

I hit my 816 DBD which was a pretty good fit as is. My carry increased a bit almost ten yards on good strikes. The real mind blowing stat was mishits. The low spin model was head and shoulders better than the 816 on mishits. I had some real toe balls and heel balls that still had minimal speed reduction and didn't get too far off line.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003