Callaway GBB Epic and Epic Sub Zero: Drivers and Fairways

zakkozuchowski

Epic SZ - if I take a 9 head and make it 10 degrees that closes the face down right?

That along with the "D" setting should help. With the fade biased reviews, could go 9* and set at +2/D.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic SZ - if I take a 9 head and make it 10 degrees that closes the face down right?

That along with the "D" setting should help. With the fade biased reviews, could go 9* and set at +2/D.

My question is more along the lines of if I go N +1 will the FA shift?

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

I'm a huge fan of going with a higher loft and then adjusting down to get a more open look but 18* seems too high. Wish Callaway would have kept the SZ options at 14* / 16* / 18* like they did with the 815 and 816 Alpha's.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

I was just fit for the other day and saw quite significant gains over the GBB im gaming now with Diamana whiteboard 72x. Was fit for the regular epic head with the Fujikura Pro 73x Shaft that is a no upcharge shaft. Went from 2800 spin and about 285 - 290 carry. To 2400 spin and 295 to 300 carry. Big Changes for me and I am very excited for this baby to come in the mail. Obviously not everyone will see these results but even for the "made for" shaft it is performing big time. As long as the numbers are good and you are seeing results who cares right?

So what options do I have here? I got a SZ and have cut it to 45 inches. What if any other callaway weights will fit?

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

Has anyone hit this with the aldila rogue m-ax in it? I hit a 9.0* SZ last week at my club's demo day and had the fujikura pro in it (it felt very whippy compared to my fujikura pro ts that I have in my ping G LS tec). I am thinking about ordering an Epic but would like to know opinions on the m-ax shaft vs. Rogue I/O and Rogue Silver. Also opinion on SZ vs. regular Epic for someone that has a spin rate around 2500-2700 for my current driver (Ping G LS Tec 10.5*)

Thanks

From my experience during my fitting, the MAX was a much more stout and stable shaft. I went with the Fuji Pro because was getting excellent dispersion with it. I already have a Speeder 661, that I know I love that'll probably go in it though.

Just thought I would post my recent trial of this. Went into golf store with every intention of not getting a new driver. Just wanted to try the hype. Brought my current gamer that is fit for me (cobra ltd with ad gp 6x). Hit side by side. Without getting into the specific numbers, epic sz carried a few yards further when both were nutted. Nothing too major but what really impressed me was the consistency. The subzero could have a blanket thrown over their shots. Mishits were 10-15 yards longer than the cobra as well. When mishit, subzero went almost as far as center strikes as well. Very little distance loss. For reference, swing speed was about 112 today. I didn't feel that it was fade biased as some have mentioned. However, it's certainly not draw biased. Very straight for me. Just my thoughts. Ordered one.

Callaway Rogue w/ Diamana DF 60TX<br />Cobra king Ltd 3 wood w/ tensei pro blue 70s<br />Cobra king utility black<br />Srixon z785 w/ Nippon modus 120s 4-p<br

What are people thinking of the SZ fairway? I hit it, felt and looked great, but didn't have my gamer to test it against.

I ordered the SZ 5 wood. The big pain in the butt is the 3wood. Too many options. Epic or ESZ? 13.5 or 15? If ESZ 13.5 weight back, or 15 weight forward. I still want to hit my 3wood off the deck, and less than driver tee shots....if the epic 15 is draw city, then no. If epic 13.5 is really a tee only option, I'm out. That leaves ESZ in the 13.5 or 15 to optimize with weights and loft. I'd tend to lean with the 15 deg, and have the option of weight forward and minus one loft, but I probably need to hit both. Anyone hit Both lofts in the ESZ, 13.5 and 15? Yet Another factor is head size, the 13.5 is larger than the 15....

I still say the deciding factor should be your standard shot SHAPE. The standard Epic 3 wood is going to have way more draw bias unless you have access to hot melt. The difference between the XR and XR pro fairways were night and day in this regard.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Is the loft increase equal to the amount of face closure? In other words, going from 9 degrees to 10 degrees does that close the face 1 degree?

Is the loft increase equal to the amount of face closure? In other words, going from 9 degrees to 10 degrees does that close the face 1 degree?

No. I don't recall the number, but the face only closes a fraction of the loft increase.

Callaway GBB EPIC Sub Zero, HZRDUS Yellow 65g
Callaway XR Pro 20° hybrid, Tour AD DI
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23° hybrid, Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Apex Pro 7-PW / Apex 5&6, KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mack Daddy 2 50°, 54°, PM Grind 58°
Callaway Chrome Soft

I think it's something like .6(might be .6 something but I don't remember) of a degree face angle change per 1 degree of loft change.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I didn't feel that it was fade biased as some have mentioned. However, it's certainly not draw biased. Very straight for me. Just my thoughts. Ordered one.

Did you test it with another GP in it? Or stock shaft?

I didn't think it was fade biased either until I installed shafts I use in it.

I didn't feel that it was fade biased as some have mentioned. However, it's certainly not draw biased. Very straight for me. Just my thoughts. Ordered one.

Did you test it with another GP in it? Or stock shaft?

I didn't think it was fade biased either until I installed shafts I use in it.

I only got to test stock options. I think I might pull the cobra tip and put the gp in the sz when it arrives to see how it goes. Also have an ad di I want to try in it as well. Pretty impressive club considering I only hit stock shaft offerings.

Callaway Rogue w/ Diamana DF 60TX<br />Cobra king Ltd 3 wood w/ tensei pro blue 70s<br />Cobra king utility black<br />Srixon z785 w/ Nippon modus 120s 4-p<br

Agreed. It was impressive enough for me to order without having the right shaft in there as well. But having played with it with two shafts I love for many rounds and lots of balls on the range, it does not want to go left. This is a great thing for me.

I played a normal round with it today. Our greens were open for the first time since I've had it in play. It's funny how much more you focus when you're not hitting 3 or 4 drives with it to test. This driver is really good.

I think it's something like .6(might be .6 something but I don't remember) of a degree face angle change per 1 degree of loft change.

.6 is what I remember but I have it reversed, .6° of loft change for every degree the face is opened or closed.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Just got this email from Callaway :(

Hello,

Thank you for your recent Great Big Bertha Epic pre-order on order number 3664531. Unfortunately, due to the high demand of the new Epic line, your order will not ship until 2/24/2017. We apologize for this delay and have upgraded your shipping to UPS Next Day air no charge.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for choosing Callaway Golf.

Hello,

Thank you for your recent Great Big Bertha Epic pre-order on order number 3664531. Unfortunately, due to the high demand of the new Epic line, your order will not ship until 2/24/2017. We apologize for this delay and have upgraded your shipping to UPS Next Day air no charge.

That stinks. The local shop here has a couple of bags full of the new drivers sitting in the back, waiting to be put on the floor. Was there anything special about your order?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

What are people thinking of the SZ fairway? I hit it, felt and looked great, but didn't have my gamer to test it against.

Ordered the 15 degree Sub Zero with the Fuji Pro Green 72. Played the XR16 last season and bought an XHOT2 on Black Friday so really wasn't in the market or need of a new 3 wood.

Played some holes this past Sunday and hit multiple tee shots with both the Sub Zero driver and 3 wood. I ordered the SZ 3 wood partly because of the ease of getting access to the inside of the head and being able to add weight, in the case of the SZ, 16 cotton balls. The sound and feel is fantastic, more of a thud and the weight now is perfect.

Kept the settings on the 3 wood as is (N, S) and the flight is a mid to high with a pretty straight line. Could turn over for a 5 yard draw as easily as playing a bit of a cut off the tee. Off the deck it wants to draw a touch maybe due to my swing and launched a similar trajectory to being teed up. There were a few tee shots that were within spitting distance of the SZ driver so I might loft it up to 17 degrees and drop the 5 wood. Driving and hitting fairways are a weaker part of my game and after some adjustments with the driver settings, settled on -1, D, I was consistently playing a straight to slight fade that was predictable and a touch longer (5 yards, wet fairways so NO ROLL) than either the 816 DBD or XR16 that I played last season. I would fully expect with roll, the driver is going to be 10 yards minimum longer. When I really went after the 3 wood or driver the shafts were stable and the balls still stayed in the fairway.

I'd say the SZ driver is a bit fade biased, even in the draw setting, which is no problem at all, didn't see that as much with the SZ 3 wood.

To me, the 3 wood is an upgrade to the Alpha 816 fairway woods due to the lower spin and what seems to be more forgiveness.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

.6 is what I remember but I have it reversed, .6° of loft change for every degree the face is opened or closed.

So you are saying the D 1 setting then would close the face .6 degrees? I would think adding loft should also close it a bit too. For example, adjusting it from 9 degrees to 10 degrees...

Hello,

crap, sorry to hear that.

For those of us that ordered early..I just got me tracking number today, should be here on Friday. SZ finished at 44 1/2 with T800 shaft. Can't wait... :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

So you are saying the D 1 setting then would close the face .6 degrees? I would think adding loft should also close it a bit too. For example, adjusting it from 9 degrees to 10 degrees...

The D only increases the lie - more upright. The 1° more loft will close the face approx 1.6°. Supossedly.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

With the Callaway adapter having the two moving pieces in the adapter, the amount of face angle change is very small to be almost negligible. I have it on good authority that the +2 added loft setting is around .3* closed....nothing extreme. Any looks of closed face on that setting would be more casting tolerances in the head vs adapter caused. These do not do to face angle what TM, Titleist, or any other single Cog systems do....which is much more face angle change.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

The D only increases the lie - more upright. The 1° more loft will close the face approx 1.6°. Supossedly.

^^^This is not correct. Increasing loft by 1° closes face by 0.3° or less.

Callaway GBB EPIC Sub Zero, HZRDUS Yellow 65g
Callaway XR Pro 20° hybrid, Tour AD DI
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23° hybrid, Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Apex Pro 7-PW / Apex 5&6, KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mack Daddy 2 50°, 54°, PM Grind 58°
Callaway Chrome Soft

For those that have hit both driver the epic and epic sz I have a question. Would you say that the SZ is as forgiving as the epic. I have an epic demo currently, in 10.5* with a Rogue M-ax in it. I hit it today and it felt great, but everything went a little left. I could not get it to go straight or right. Not that it went overly left, everything just either had a draw on it or fell left at the end. I usually play a cut so it was something different to see. Could I just move the weight track for more of a fade bias and would that change the shot shape enough? The club is definitely draw biased. Also, does anyone know the differences in performance I would see if I had a rogue I/O or rogue silver in it. I usually play a lower torque driver shaft that the M-ax which I think has 3.8* of torque. I usually like something closer to 3* of torque.

Thanks

With the Callaway adapter having the two moving pieces in the adapter, the amount of face angle change is very small to be almost negligible. I have it on good authority that the +2 added loft setting is around .3* closed....nothing extreme. Any looks of closed face on that setting would be more casting tolerances in the head vs adapter caused. These do not do to face angle what TM, Titleist, or any other single Cog systems do....which is much more face angle change.

O.K. So I am trying to get this straight. So lofting up 2 degrees would close the face approximately .3 degrees (so .15 degrees closure per degree of loft increase).

So the next question is how much does the "D" setting close the face by itself?

Finally, do we know how much flatter the lie is on the SZ than the standard Epic? If we could get confirmation on all these maybe we could put it as a wiki for this thread?

O.K. So I am trying to get this straight. So lofting up 2 degrees would close the face approximately .3 degrees (so .15 degrees closure per degree of loft increase).

So the next question is how much does the "D" setting close the face by itself?

Finally, do we know how much flatter the lie is on the SZ than the standard Epic? If we could get confirmation on all these maybe we could put it as a wiki for this thread?

Interested in all these numbers as well. Planning on lofting down the regular epic one degree but using the draw setting to (hopefully) cancel out the face being more open from lofting down.

I received the dreaded "your driver will be one month late" email from Callaway as well. Stinks!

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB