2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Hole view - sign examples

You know it all, comming to a new golf course and at each hole there is this sign with layout picture of the hole. I am working on a new layout for my golf course, and would like to know if anyone has maybe some pictures /examples how the best layout for such a sign looks for you.

I have of course google a bit, but can not find much - maybe I am using the wrong words

But I am looking to get a hole view that includes length to hazards etc - and not just the complete hole length where you have to meassure your own

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what a yardage guide and/or GPS device are for ;)

Putting more than just an overhead shot of the hole on the hole sign ruins the aesthetics of such a sign in my POV.

If you want to add yardages to hazards, put a plaque in the ground beside the permanent tee markers for each tee box.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Now....if it were me doing this, I would do a simple design, but I would incorporate some QR coding, because it seems that most everyone has a smart phone today...and, too many of those use them way too much on the course.

By putting a simple hole layout on the signs you are designing, but including the QR codes, you could "update" anything that needed updating on the link that ties into the QR.

Some major changes to one or 2 holes every couple years shouldn't mean a complete re-design of all 18 tee signs. And, with the QR coding, you could easily have various distances to/from tee to hazards/greens.....lay-up distances, etc.

just my thoughts....have never seen this done at any courses, but wouldn't be all that hard to do, IMHO

Now....if it were me doing this, I would do a simple design, but I would incorporate some QR coding, because it seems that most everyone has a smart phone today...and, too many of those use them way too much on the course.

By putting a simple hole layout on the signs you are designing, but including the QR codes, you could "update" anything that needed updating on the link that ties into the QR.

Some major changes to one or 2 holes every couple years shouldn't mean a complete re-design of all 18 tee signs. And, with the QR coding, you could easily have various distances to/from tee to hazards/greens.....lay-up distances, etc.

just my thoughts....have never seen this done at any courses, but wouldn't be all that hard to do, IMHO

I like this idea. You could also include hole location for the day, and tee locations. Also, if any local rules were in effect for that hole they could be brought to the golfer's attention as well.

I agree with the less is more crowd. If you're dead set on it, go for it. But I'm not a huge fan of the idea.

I'd just have the overhead view with basic yardages to the center of the green, and then put a plaque in the ground for distances to hazards (yardage to and carry, if applicable) like duffer said. If people want more info than that (bunkers, doglegs, etc.), have a yardage book that they can buy in the pro shop. But I'd venture to guess that most people that are REALLY going to care about all that information will likely have some sort of laser or GPS system already, so I don't think the additional info on the sign is really necessary. If not, they're more than welcome to purchase a yardage book. It'll be a nice little souvenir too.

nobody uses QR codes anymore

I could see this being helpful only if there were forced carries or a fairway ending. But as others have said, this could be done via a plaque in the ground (from this spot - 210 to carry the hazard).

Or, you could have a daily printout with that day's hole locations and key "specs" for each hole. Or if you want to et really fancy, just get the course charted and offer yardage books.

Let's take it one step further and set up a fax machine for each hole

if your going to mark anything, Id mark the one main hazard on each hole. to keep it minimal, you can use plaques on each tee.

ie 250 to carry water, or 180 to hazard/ fwy bunker

How about make judging distance a skill needed to play golf? Get rid of all the yardage markers. You either know and your experience is rewarded or you are good at judging distance and that skill is also rewarded.

Visual deception is just part of the game, like blind shots and hazards. You either overcome or the archie has gotten into your head and it affects your game.

How about make judging distance a skill needed to play golf? Get rid of all the yardage markers. You either know and your experience is rewarded or you are good at judging distance and that skill is also rewarded.

Visual deception is just part of the game, like blind shots and hazards. You either overcome or the archie has gotten into your head and it affects your game.

That might work from a golf purists' POV, but from a business perspective, Happy customers = repeat customers. If a player hits good shots and gets punished, they won't be as likely to return. Those who don't want the tip can choose to ignore the information.

Is this true? Why?

I am something of a functioning luddite.

Because they often lead to a website that isn't optimized for mobile, aren't updated, or the information isn't actually needed.

But is that a QR code issue?

Not in the least. But you can understand how those problems will lead to people quickly dismissing the functionality of QR codes.

Is this true? Why?

I am something of a functioning luddite.

Because they often lead to a website that isn't optimized for mobile, aren't updated, or the information isn't actually needed.

But is that a QR code issue?

Not in the least. But you can understand how those problems will lead to people quickly dismissing the functionality of QR codes.

QR codes have limitations

attagging or scam codes

open source types mean to many different experiences between iOS and android and less security

an app is more functional and secure

Seems unnecessary. The pros don't have to guess (caddies/yardage books), why should amateurs?

I think all you need is just a basic sign with the Par, all of the tee box distances, and a nice little overhead picture showing all of the water, bunkers, etc. If there are any forced carries off of the tee box, you should have a small additional sign on the tee box here with the hazard distance, and carry distance. Most likely your course will just have 2-3 of these. Having QR codes and all that stuff is just overkill, you don't want 6 hour rounds. If the player is serious about bunker distances, etc. they most likely will have a range finder with them or a GPS/watch with all of these distances.

Seems unnecessary. The pros don't have to guess (caddies/yardage books), why should amateurs?

Just a suggestion. I look at the challenge of figuring yardage as part of the game. Some people elect to neuter parts of the game that were originally part of it.

Most don't walk, they ride. Some use the yardage aids or gps or rangefinders. Some people play everything up. The rules removed stymies way on back.

I know its faster when you aren't pulling a rangefinder, fiddling with a gps, messing with a yardage book or pacing off from sprinkler heads. Just guess and hit. Most amateurs are something like an 18 handicap or somewhere in there, exact yardage is simply not needed.

I like the old white signs. I like those posted above. KISS.

Just a suggestion. I look at the challenge of figuring yardage as part of the game. Some people elect to neuter parts of the game that were originally part of it.

Most don't walk, they ride. Some use the yardage aids or gps or rangefinders. Some people play everything up. The rules removed stymies way on back.

I know its faster when you aren't pulling a rangefinder, fiddling with a gps, messing with a yardage book or pacing off from sprinkler heads. Just guess and hit. Most amateurs are something like an 18 handicap or somewhere in there, exact yardage is simply not needed.

I like the old white signs. I like those posted above. KISS.

I'd argue the exact opposite actually, especially when amateurs get further out...

While I do agree that exact yardages probably aren't necessary, some kind of estimate definitely is, whether it's from a sprinkler or GPS/rangefinder - a number to the center of the green should help enough for most.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of golfers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 150 and 180 yards, for example. And like I said, it'd only get worse from further out. If someone is 150 out and grabs a 5 iron because they think they are 180 out, if they catch it the way they anticipate, they'll launch it 30 yards past the green. If you tell them they are 150 from the center, they'll pull out a 7 iron instead. Sure, they probably won't hit a perfect shot, but there miss "should" most likely be closer to the green. That may be a slightly extreme example, but it gets the point across.

And if anyone is taking too much time fiddling with a rangefinder or GPS, they have other issues. It takes maybe 3 seconds to get an accurate number... It really can't be any simpler than that. I do agree that pacing off from sprinklers can be a time waster though.