TIGER WITHDRAWN DESERT CLASSIC

1. No way an agent makes 20%. 2%-5% is closer to reality.

2. Weight training has been a boon for my back. I had back problems a few years ago and concentrated my weight training on my lower back with deadlifts. No pain after a few weeks.

20% might be true if the agent was instrumental in getting the deal. They make far less if Tiger's involvement was greater.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Weight training has been a boon for my back. I had back problems a few years ago and concentrated my weight training on my lower back with deadlifts. No pain after a few weeks.

I'm glad that worked for you. But every back and every person is different.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Honestly he is completely washed up and has zero confidence and this is the biggest fall from grace in sports history... or Tiger is fooling everyone !! his swing looks terrible, I do have a hard time believing this is someone that has hit hundreds of ball trying real hard to make a comeback.

The game isn't a priority to him no more...Lets face it, this isn't injuries or back problems.

[color=#ff0000][b][u]CALLAWAY[/u][/b]
[color=#000000][b]Epic Flash 2 Diamond [/b] [b][/b][/color]9*  Tensei Orange Pro 60x
[color=#000000][b]Rogue 3w[/b] [b][/b][/color]13.5* Diamana Thump 75x
[color=#0000ff][b][u]MIZUNO[/u] [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]Mp20 HMB 4 iron[/b][b]4[/b][/color] Modus 105x
[color=#000000][b]Jpx 919T 5-pw  [/b][b][/b][/color] Modus 105x
[color=#000000][b]T20 Gap 50* Modus 125x
[color=#000000][u][b]Callaway Mack Daddy 4 [/b][/u][/color]
[b][/b]* [b]54[/b]* [b]60[/b]* Tour 130x
[color=#ff0000][u][b]Odyssey [/b][/u][/color]
[color=#000000][b]Stroke Lab #7[/b][/color] 

Tiger outsmarted himself and it blew up in his face. It wasn't good enough to win the masters in a route in 1997 at 21. He had to rebuild, then it wasnt good enough to play the greatest golf ever seen in 2000. He had to wreck that swing and start over. He had the best body for golf possible at 21, he had to wreck that and get thick and beefy. It wasn't good enough to have a beautiful model wife and kids he had to wreck that with hundreds of affairs. It wasn't good enough to win prolifically under the new Haney swing, he had to wreck that and go rebuild again. It wasn't good enough to get back to #1 with Foley so he had to wreck that and do whatever he is doing now which he has described as going back to his junior swing. After all that he is admitting his original natural swing was fine but its too late. His muscle memory and destroyed body has no idea what to do over the ball. Tiger had a deep hole inside him he could never satiate and it got the best of him. If he sat down in 2000 and devised a plan to destroy his career he couldn't have done a better job than what we have seen play out. As a huge tiger fan its sad and a true sports tragedy.

Agreed. Give it a little more time and he'll be viewed as a cautionary tale. Amazing to think of his career as something that squandered a huge amount of potential, but there it is.

I understand what you mean by cautionary tale, but everyone who has ever touched a golf club in the world outside of Jack Nicklaus would love to have had Tiger's career. Might br cautionary for Day and Rory only because they might be risking longevity for short-term gains.

Oh, I agree. That's what makes it so crazy. Imagine the career he could've had if he stayed with Butch, doesn't try to join the SEALs, keeps swinging rather than try to force a marriage, etc etc etc. There's an alternate universe out there where he's won 150+ tournaments and 40 majors. Way back when, circa 1997-2000, that's what people were projecting as his ceiling and it didn't seem far fetched at all.

I guess everyone loves a good train wreck. I have never been much of a TW fan. He just never had much personality in the interviews and the way he interacted with the fans. I don't wish any ill will on the guy, in fact I feel sorry for him. It is amazing to me how fame and fortune can wack out someone so badly.

Seriously, retire and take your 800 million dollars and enjoy your two beautiful children. Jump in the booth and announce the majors. Just by staying involved in golf he would keep his status and relevance. I worry about what he will do to his long term health.

I just don't understand why he commands so much air time. I get he is the greatest golfer ever...in my eyes the second. I personally could care less about the drama. It has been going on since 2009 and I think everyone knows that he is done and has been for some time.

Why then as golfers would we rather watch a golfer who is ranked some 600+ in the world who's play is in line with that ranking? Show me more coverage of all these great young players we have on the tour. I would rather follow Henrik Stenson on Live coverage all round than watch Tiger bogey all the time.

Show me all of the shots from the 16th green from the Waste Management on Morning Drive rather than have hours of experts calling in to discuss back spasms.

If I wanted drama I would watch BRAVO tv with my wife.

I'm glad that worked for you. But every back and every person is different.

Yep. Weight training could cripple some people with bad backs permanently. Every injury and every person is different and even that is in constant flux.

Five years ago I was able to improve my back tremendously by hiring a personal trainer and incorporating weight training. However, that was then and this is now. I can no longer even come close to doing the types of exercises and lifts that I did then. Things changed that dramatically in just the last three years.

I'm now much more limited in what I can do. As for golf, some days I can play and some I can't but no amount of weight training in the world is going to help me at this point. Do whatever you can while you can but that doesn't mean it's always going to work or that you'll even be able to continue to do it.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

The anti-Tiger guys in here are loving it. I think it's funny that they would spend so much time commenting/complaining on a guy that they supposedly care so little about....

I have back problems. I have days where I almost forget about the pain, and I have days where I think about it constantly. I'm guessing therapy can help some people, but for me it made it worse. I've heard good things about stretching stuff like yoga, and strengthening your core. I know for sure lifting weights isn't good for it, but I can't help himself (I'm guessing Tiger is the same way) I try to play golf 4 - 5 times a week, even if I can only play 9 holes at a time. My back does much better through 9, 18 is pushing it. I can't imagine flying for over 12 hours on top of playing daily and constantly practicing. Not to mention the other stuff that wears you down and takes up more time and energy like appearances for sponsors, and media meetings, and spending time with friends, etc.

I agree with others. He needs to really be picky with what he does. He doesn't need to fly all over the world, or play in tournaments every week. I truly think he can make a come back if he changes. He won't be the dominant golfer who wins constantly, but I think he can be a threat in the bigger tournaments he chooses to play in.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Please don't recommend dead lifting to others with back problems. For a lot of people it would only exasperate the problem. I know it helps some, but only a Dr should be recommending stuff like that IMO

What kind of injury did you have that deadlifts helped?

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Tiger outsmarted himself and it blew up in his face. It wasn't good enough to win the masters in a route in 1997 at 21. He had to rebuild, then it wasnt good enough to play the greatest golf ever seen in 2000. He had to wreck that swing and start over. He had the best body for golf possible at 21, he had to wreck that and get thick and beefy. It wasn't good enough to have a beautiful model wife and kids he had to wreck that with hundreds of affairs. It wasn't good enough to win prolifically under the new Haney swing, he had to wreck that and go rebuild again. It wasn't good enough to get back to #1 with Foley so he had to wreck that and do whatever he is doing now which he has described as going back to his junior swing. After all that he is admitting his original natural swing was fine but its too late. His muscle memory and destroyed body has no idea what to do over the ball. Tiger had a deep hole inside him he could never satiate and it got the best of him. If he sat down in 2000 and devised a plan to destroy his career he couldn't have done a better job than what we have seen play out. As a huge tiger fan its sad and a true sports tragedy.

Agreed. Give it a little more time and he'll be viewed as a cautionary tale. Amazing to think of his career as something that squandered a huge amount of potential, but there it is.

I understand what you mean by cautionary tale, but everyone who has ever touched a golf club in the world outside of Jack Nicklaus would love to have had Tiger's career. Might br cautionary for Day and Rory only because they might be risking longevity for short-term gains.

Oh, I agree. That's what makes it so crazy. Imagine the career he could've had if he stayed with Butch, doesn't try to join the SEALs, keeps swinging rather than try to force a marriage, etc etc etc. There's an alternate universe out there where he's won 150+ tournaments and 40 majors. Way back when, circa 1997-2000, that's what people were projecting as his ceiling and it didn't seem far fetched at all.

40 majors and 150 tournaments? That's a little high even for an alternate universe. I thought Tiger's max would be 22 or so majors, 100 PGA Tour wins and those numbers would be forever untouchable in golf.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Hubris.

Srixon Z785, Wilson Staff 13 3W, W/S FG51 3-PW, Ram Watson Troon 55, Ram Nick Price 62, Wilson 8813, Srixon XV

40 majors and 150 tournaments? That's a little high even for an alternate universe. I thought Tiger's max would be 22 or so majors, 100 PGA Tour wins and those numbers would be forever untouchable in golf.

Meh. I think those numbers are high too, but that is quite literally what well respected golf sages were predicting when TW first hit the scene.

Sure, but if TW wasn't TW and act like TW, he wouldn't have 14 Majors and 79 tour wins. Not like him to just be content with anything, it seems.Overly intense, easy to see in retrospect that NO WAY can anybody play with that intensity forever. Amazing he did it for 10 years.

So, what now?

I think he should just practice all year for the Masters and just play that. Heck, he should build a replica of Augusta and just play it everyday until April ; )

Sure, but if TW wasn't TW and act like TW, he wouldn't have 14 Majors and 79 tour wins. Not like him to just be content with anything, it seems.Overly intense, easy to see in retrospect that NO WAY can anybody play with that intensity forever. Amazing he did it for 10 years.

So, what now?

I think he should just practice all year for the Masters and just play that. Heck, he should build a replica of Augusta and just play it everyday until April ; )

I think Rory is in the same position. He feels that he has to workout like he does to get the distance and power he needs to win. Without that, he can't be great. Rory is OK with bearing the consequences of a shorter career to accomplish what he could never have had without physical strength.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

If you think about it, it is best for golf if he doesn't play anymore. Now we can get a fair view of all the players on tour not just Tiger Woods. There are some great up-and-coming young players who I would rather see than Tiger Woods.

It's not best for golf for Tiger to go out this way. Pretty much everyone wanted one more run from Tiger. The Tour, the media, Tour players, equipment manufacturers, fans, and TV executives all wanted one last Tiger run.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Has one of his tournament ending injuries ever happened after a good round?

i feel the exact same way, he was hobbling around at the usopen and managed to finish because he was playing well. when was the last time he withdrew while actually playing well?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

If you think about it, it is best for golf if he doesn't play anymore. Now we can get a fair view of all the players on tour not just Tiger Woods. There are some great up-and-coming young players who I would rather see than Tiger Woods.

I totally respect your opinion but it TW retires do you think that the 297th ranked guy will get more TV time? Nothing much will change except fewer tickets sold and lower TV ratings at certain tour stops. The idea that TW is holding golf back somehow is crazy talk.....in my humble opinion.

Has one of his tournament ending injuries ever happened after a good round?

i feel the exact same way, he was hobbling around at the usopen and managed to finish because he was playing well. when was the last time he withdrew while actually playing well?

Maybe, but at this point can he play well and win? No, so that's not even a possibility. Tiger can't do that so we never know if it could even happen.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Am I the only one who thinks he is not injured and just pulls out of the tournament because he does not want to embarrass himself more this week?

He had no pain yesterday and does not have pain today, he can make full swings without a problem. The spasms sound for me like "let's find some small thing to get us out here without loosing face". I don't condemn him for that, I can understand.

We will see him again, but he really has to improve his game. I don't understand how critical most people here talk about his back. Seems like everyone analyzes each swing in detail in slo-mo and trying to see a glimpse of pain. We have seen only three rounds, but the truth is, he played golf for months now without pain, otherwise he would not be there. The back/pain issue is not as big, his game is just off!

Clueless.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Really strange that he would chase an appearance fee on the other side of the planet. Even with his divorce/recent poor play, he's got to have a quarter of a BILLION dollars in the bank. Why risk it? Why not just go play Phoenix, try to have fun/stay healthy? Really odd choice.

Rich people never think they have enough...ever. So that argument makes perfect sense for some of us but not to him.. Same reason the guy who builds the 10 million dollar company won't sell it and retire. He's always off to start his next thing. Stupid decision to get on a flight.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 70 S
Ping G 15 Tour 80 S
Ping G 21 Tour 80 S
PXG SGI 5-LW
Putter TBD
Bridgestone B330 2016

I totally respect your opinion but it TW retires do you think that the 297th ranked guy will get more TV time? Nothing much will change except fewer tickets sold and lower TV ratings at certain tour stops. The idea that TW is holding golf back somehow is crazy talk.....in my humble opinion.

They won't show the nobody about to not make the cut but they will show more live coverage of guys a lot further up the leaderboard once they stop cutting to every moment of Tiger's 77. For any sport to thrive it needs to promote a host of top players and constantly be replenishing that stock of recognizable faces.

Rory was bombing it out there pretty good when he was chubby.

When the hell was Rors ever chubby?

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5