2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

KBS C-Taper Bent tips

AlxHm3

I have had KBS wedge shafts that I hit down pretty hard with and not had bent tips but the experiences of others have always kept me doubting getting KBS in new irons. I have bent PX 7.0s at the tip though. Never thought that was possible...

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

• 4 weeks later...

I have atleast 3 bent tips in a set of 115 x flex lites. I have attempted to contact KBS, but no luck in getting a response. For the others with this issue, who did you contact ?

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

I had the same issue with KBS Tour. Just emailed the customer service from their website and have full resolution in about two weeks.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

I had the same issue with KBS Tour. Just emailed the customer service from their website and have full resolution in about two weeks.

Ok great.. how many of yours were bent ? I am about to pull all of mine. I think the 6 and 7 are def bent as well, hence pulling them all

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

• 4 months later...

Ugggg. I just got new i200s with kbs tour 120s.

Wish I had read this before buying. It was between kbs tour 120 and DG 120 s300 for me and I went with the tip bender special.

Love the feel of kbs but apparently that comes at a price.

Back to my old X2Hot 9*
TM M3 15*
Steelhead XR 3h 19*
i25s 4-UW
Ping Glide 54* / Cleveland 60*
O-Works 1W
ProV1

Wish I had read this before buying. It was between kbs tour 120 and DG 120 s300 for me and I went with the tip bender special.

I have never had an issue with kbs tours bending.

Just seems to be the ctapers that bend on me

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

It's a little dissapinting that somebody from KBS hasn't jumped on this thread to update corrections for this problem. Just picked up a set of Edels with limited edition black C Tapers and I'm alarmed. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I have never had an issue with kbs tours bending.

Just seems to be the ctapers that bend on me

I pulled a set of Tour 120’s from a set of ping s55’s two years ago and 3 of them were bent.

I pulled my Tour V 120 x’s last spring after hitting off mats all winter and 2 were bent. 7 and P.

Customer service was quite pleasant about it. I sent them very good pictures clearly showing the bends and they sent me a whole new set of shafts.

Of course the underlying problem is still there. Why has it been happening for so many years and hasn’t been fixed?

I told the CS rep that I’d never seen this problem with dynamic golds or Nippons. His response confused me. “They reinforce their tip sections and are quite thick walked and heavy”.... uhh. Well....it seems to freaking work for them now...doesn’t it??

I tolerate it because I really like the Tour V profile, feel, and flight. If I could find a Nippon I liked they would be in my clubs immediately. I cant. I Don’t like any of them.

Would seem to be a clear flaw in my eyes huge inconvenience to rebuild a set of irons new set or not, it's a lot of work done right! Seems to me they should pay for return shipment and do the irons themselves! Than would fix the problem real quick.

One question, could any of this be happening due to significant lie/loft adjustments? Devils advocate

I've avoided building anything with KBS because of this issue. When you build a lot of clubs you can see why this happens just by looking at the tip of the shaft. Part of their design concept is about removing reinforcement from the tip section and they are slim for sure.

I've seen a lot of KBS tips bend as well as PXi tips and because I was spending so much time replacing them I just quit building with anything KBS or PXi.

Would seem to be a clear flaw in my eyes huge inconvenience to rebuild a set of irons new set or not, it's a lot of work done right! Seems to me they should pay for return shipment and do the irons themselves! Than would fix the problem real quick.

One question, could any of this be happening due to significant lie/loft adjustments? Devils advocate

Loft and lie adjustments don’t have any affect on shaft tips. When you are bending properly only the very bottom of the hosel bends. The shaft isn’t in the section of hosel that bends.

Loft and lie adjustments don’t have any affect on shaft tips. When you are bending properly only the very bottom of the hosel bends. The shaft isn’t in the section of hosel that bends.

Right I agree but if the walls are too thin then things are happening that should not no?

Right I agree but if the walls are too thin then things are happening that should not no?

Your Walls aren’t that thin. Just don’t ever let anyone bend them with the bending bar up high on the hosel. I’ve seen that before. Dummies.

Kinda on topic, I had black chrome tours, finish started flaking very quickly....they were replaced within a few days. At least they acknowledge and fix quickly

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Guys, anyone know of an easy way to see if the shafts are bent, even slightly? I’ve seen this with a few Ctapers I have.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Guys, anyone know of an easy way to see if the shafts are bent, even slightly? I’ve seen this with a few Ctapers I have.

If you haven’t taken them apart, you have to have an accurate lie/loft measurement of before and now. That might give you an indication that the shaft tip has bent. For slight bends of the tip, you really need to disassemble and visually check.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

It's great they replace them free but it's still expensive to re-shaft 8 irons with new grips. Going to be like $300-$400 for for the work and grips and one to two weeks turn around time. Then do it again when the new ones bend.

I liked the tour 120s at my fitting but I'm likely moving to something else. I'm too neurotic to keep these in the bag. Don't want to worry about easing off a shot because I'm afraid of bending the tip. Should have read up more on KBS before I pulled trigger on new irons.

Back to my old X2Hot 9*
TM M3 15*
Steelhead XR 3h 19*
i25s 4-UW
Ping Glide 54* / Cleveland 60*
O-Works 1W
ProV1

It's great they replace them free but it's still expensive to re-shaft 8 irons with new grips. Going to be like $300-$400 for for the work and grips and one to two weeks turn around time. Then do it again when the new ones bend.

I liked the tour 120s at my fitting but I'm likely moving to something else. I'm too neurotic to keep these in the bag. Don't want to worry about easing off a shot because I'm afraid of bending the tip. Should have read up more on KBS before I pulled trigger on new irons.

so you hit the shafts during your fitting without any issues yet you question it now? Do you think you were the first one to hit that fitting club before? Did you request your fitter to find out how many people had hit the club prior to you and if he had any data to confirm that particular club wasn't with bend tip? See where I'm going with this! If you hit the club great during your fitting and the results speak for themselves then you may never even experience any bent tips during your time with the irons. I've play KBS exclusively over the past two years with C taper lite 115x and never had a shaft related issue at all.

I've avoided building anything with KBS because of this issue. When you build a lot of clubs you can see why this happens just by looking at the tip of the shaft. Part of their design concept is about removing reinforcement from the tip section and they are slim for sure.

I've seen a lot of KBS tips bend as well as PXi tips and because I was spending so much time replacing them I just quit building with anything KBS or PXi.

Tip bending issue is why I have most of a full set of C Tapers sitting in a box in my golf club room. I just don't want to deal with worrying whether the tips are bent, or when it will happen.

Rather sad.

It helps if you can do your own club assembly. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You aren’t going to bend them that easily. I swing hard and I’m very steep. I Take giant divots. Women and children run for cover in terror when I’m on the course.

I bent my 7 and Pitch after 3 months of hitting off mats in 40 degree temps here in Ohio. I Warm up with the Pitch and I hit more shots with the 7 than any other club. I really don’t think that any one particular strike bent them. I think it was hundreds of strikes on a hard surface over many weeks.

Its multiple factors. If you arent steep and /or you dont swing terribly hard and /or you don’t hit a great deal on mats..... it might not ever be an issue for you. I probably hit 5000 balls off the mats last winter when they bent.

And yes....doing you own reshaft work makes it much more tolerable as well.

• Like 1

I think it's hitting down on the matts at the range that causes the problem but i too hit many many 1000s of balls over the season at the range and the Ctapers were the only ones to end up bent, and thats after years of playing. I did bend a lightweight shaft in a demo club many years ago but its just not the same issue.

I think it's hitting down on the matts at the range that causes the problem but i too hit many many 1000s of balls over the season at the range and the Ctapers were the only ones to end up bent, and thats after years of playing. I did bend a lightweight shaft in a demo club many years ago but its just not the same issue.

So are you saying the Ctapers held up over time or no?

As i said "Ctapers were the only ones to end up bent"

It’s pretty much all KBS shafts. I’ve pulled apart many sets and I have yet to find a set that didn’t have at least a few bent tips. If not all.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

It's official I have a brand new set of limited custom black C Tapers in my Edels I'm pulling and selling them on BST. Moving on before they even hit a ball...BB

Perhaps KBS .370 parallel tips are a bit more resilient than the .355 Taper Tips. Any feedback on that?

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft