2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Bag set-up Mid-High handicappers

Lourenofre

Hi guys,

For the past 3 years, since I picked up the game, I've been searching within the equipment sections of golf blogs for that magical tip that could help me setup the perfect bag for my game. I'm currently a 22, coming down from an initial 34, and I don't have the budget to go and get fit for a 2k$ brand new set of sticks, so I basically start building my bag with was available at the local stores and second hand opportunities. Here's what I've been using for the past years:

D / 3W / 3H / 4H / 4-PW / 54 / 60 / Putter

Recently, as I started my new year's resolution of dropping down to a 15HCP, I started paying attention to specifics of my game, and found out that the shot I mostly struggled with were from 110 to 90 yards, as my PW went to far, and my 54 wedge to short. I started to think about getting a Gap wedge at 50º, as my PW is 45º to close the gap, but couldn't find a wedge with that loft that would match my other 2 wedges (I game the Wilson FG TC), so one day I went to a local store and found a reasonably cheap 52º wedge, the same model as my other two. I remembered that I saw something about bending forged wedges, so I asked the shop guy if he could bend it for me 2º so it could act as my gap wedge. He did it immediately, and 10 minutes later I was on the course trying it out.

The results were beyond my most optimistic expectations, as I found out that by hitting a full shat with that club rather than hitting half shot with the PW or steroid shots with the 54º I was able to be much more accurate. On that round I was able to shoot 1 over in 9 (lowest ever, 22HCP remember?), and at least 3 strokes were saved by that club. Now I'm not saying that my HCP didn't drop down before because I didn't had this club, neither am I saying that because of that it will drop dramatically, but it makes me wonder of how many amateurs, specially on the high end of the HCP scale, are leaving strokes on the field because they are playing the wrong type of club.

For example, I see a lot of guys that go with the Hybrid theory, that end up spraying a 4Hybrid all over the course, rather than sacrificing some 20 yards and go with a 4 iron. Same as for Driver, I know a lot of guys who can hit their irons pretty solid, and then go bananas when hitting anything resembling a metalwood, wouldn't they be better of with a driving iron?

To sum up, some guys are afraid that some clubs bagged by best players are not to be touched by them, when in reality those clubs could benefit their game by a lot!

What do you think are the most underrated clubs that should go to a mid-high HCP, and which ones should be avoided at all cost?

• Like 1

Partially due to age since I am 65 in the last few years I have replaced my 2i - 6i with 2h-6h. The only wood I carry is a PIng 460cc driver. The hybrids have given me my distance back along with some decent height. If you are a youngster and can still nail the long and mid irons have at it but the hybrid shave added consistency in the fairway I have not had in many years. And whether you go for the hybrids or want to fine tune those wedges there are some incredible deals on some great clubs on the web.

Similar boat, 22HC golfing for just shy of 2 years now. Bag is currently my sig. However, I plan to replace the 4i with a 4 hybrid as I just can't load the heavier shaft in it enough to get the right distance. I will also probably sell the 2h and replace with a 3h as the 17 spins way too low and launches pretty low. Granted, I've only now used it for 2 rounds, I may just need to adjust. I may actually go back to a 5w because I loved that flight, and then use a 4i for anything in the rough/from about 210 and out.

DR/3w/5w or 3h/4h/5/6/7/8/9/pw/50/55/60/P

I play D, 3w, 3h 4-aw, 54,60, putter. Driver is really hot and cold so if it's cold I'll bag it and use the hybrid or 4i off the tee on par 4s and 3w on par 5s.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

D.3w.5w.

21h.5.6.7.8.9.

Putter

Keep tinkering until all of your gaps are covered, and your confident with every club. I'm down to a 10 from about a 22 about 2 years ago. I used to game a 7 wood until I could hit a hybrid. The only gap I have now is beyond 200 yards, which I can live with.

Do what's best for your game

Carry 20 clubs.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

What do you think are the most underrated clubs that should go to a mid-high HCP, and which ones should be avoided at all cost?
The most underrated are high lofted drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids for starters, unless the player has a high launch. Then, they need to select those clubs according to desired ball flight.

The clubs to be avoided at all costs are long irons and lob wedges higher than 58*. It makes the game much less frustrating.

5 years playing (started late in life) - lately replaced the 3 hybrid with a 5 wood - much easier to hit. Also ditched the 5 iron for a 5 hybrid (had a 4 hybrid for 3 years previous). Ego got in the way with that one for too long. I stand over 6-PW and EXPECT, whereas the 5 iron was more hope than expect. Just too inconsistent - I don't know why when I hit 6 iron fine 8/10.

I love a lob wedge, although I did replace my 60 with a 58 a few years back. The 60 was initially used from 70 in but that idea stopped rather quickly. I would never get rid of my 58 BUT it is now only used from around 20 in and only in specific circumstances (short carry to front flag, short carry over bunker to front flag etc). Now it is a 9/10 club as opposed to 5/10 with the 60 a few years back. What I use to try with a 60 a few years ago I now do much more successfully with anything from SW - 9 iron

• 8 months later...

I don’t think there’s a “one size fits all set makeup “ for this handicap range. Some golfers in this range are decent ball strikers with poor short games, and vice versa. I’m between a 13 and 18 (largely dependent on my practice time), and some of my best rounds were with MB irons (at least 6-PW), and some of my worst were with GI irons. I’ve always been good with a 60 LW. I’m actually decent hitting a 4-iron. Driver is my most inconsistent club. I bag a 3W usually but rarely use it (only when I’m ok accepting a bad result). Only you know your game well enough to know what set makeup is best for you.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I'm a senior golfer (63) and play Pings. Thinking of changing up the bag next year.

2017 2018

G 10.5° G400 10° SF Tec

G 5-7 wood G400 3-5 wood SF Tec

G 26° Hybrid G400 22°-25° Crossover

i200 6-UW i200 6-UW

wedges same

I couldn't hit the hybrid to same my life, but nailed the fairway woods no problem.

Driver - 9*

Fairway Metal - 15.5*

#2 Hybrid - 18*

#4 Hybrid - 23*

Irons 5-PW

GW - 50*

SW - 54*

LW - 58*

Putter

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

I started playing last summer and managed to drop from a 24.0 index at the start of 2017 to closing the year at a 12.9.

My current setup is :

Driver

3W - 16°

5W - 20°

7W - 24° (due to length, gapping works even though about same loft as 5 iron)

5 iron - 25°

6 iron - 30°

7 iron - 35°

8 iron - 40°

9 iron - 45°

PW - 50°

SW - 55°

LW - 60°

Recently, as I started my new year's resolution of dropping down to a 15HCP, I started paying attention to specifics of my game, and found out that the shot I mostly struggled with were from 110 to 90 yards, as my PW went to far, and my 54 wedge to short. I started to think about getting a Gap wedge at 50º, as my PW is 45º to close the gap ...

Sounds like we have similar distances. My 9 iron, PW and SW are basically the same lofts as your PW, GW, and SW. And my 50° PW is my 100-110 yard full swing club. I think you're going to love that gap wedge (or have loved it if you've bagged it all year). My 50° is one of my favorite clubs in the bag. So very versatile. Great on everything from full swings to green side work.

The most underrated are high lofted drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids for starters, unless the player has a high launch. Then, they need to select those clubs according to desired ball flight.

The clubs to be avoided at all costs are long irons and lob wedges higher than 58*. It makes the game much less frustrating.

Agree on this. Stick with irons 5i-58* and get the rest of the bag filled with metals that you can swing smoothly, confidently, and keep in play. If that means a HL driver that goes 205, down to a 4H that goes 160, then play it. Keeping it in play, not chasing distance, and practicing 70%-80% with your wedges and putter is the key to get out of the 20’s and into the teens. And play senior tees until you get to an 18-19, then play regular tees. The game will be much more fun, and you will steadily improve.

Set up is in the signature.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I tried the hybrids. First the 3h...hit some good ones but also a lot of hooks. Then the 4h...seemed to work for a few weeks but the 4i worked better. 5h was more distance and effortless but hit a lot of fat shots and 5i was more accurate.

In the 20 handicap game you are likely losing a lot of strokes in the long game (penalties and punch outs) and around the greens chipping mostly. This is assuming you are an average not horrible putter.

5 woods are good for getting the ball in play. If you can hit your approach near the green you should be able to chip on and have a chance for par or at least 2 putt bogey at worse.

I know you asked about equipment, but as previously stated it is personal choice and not related to scoring as long as the fit is reasonable.

Speaking of wedges, the 60 degree is probably unnecessary unless you deal with a lot of rough around the green and/or the ball sits up so you can get the club under it and/or there little opportunity to chip and run shots to the pin. More bounce is generally more forgiving around the green unless you get a lot of tight lies; in that case the bounce will get in the way.

I would pick ether the 4i or 4H to play and not both. I would consider the 4H and if you need to hit it a little shorter choke up a little. thats what I do at the top of my bag 2U and 4U 5 iron, if I have to hit a shot in that gap I club up and choke up. I do believe proper gaping at the bottom end of your bag PW, GW, SW are most important hence why mine is so jacked up, I know what distances I hit each of my wedges and I know where I end up distance to pin most often during my rounds.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

What I’ve observed is that the best players have dialed their clubs perfectly.

We as amateurs always search for the longest hitting clubs. But on the contrary, what’s really important is to have every Club dialed in!

Doesn’t matter much if you hit a 6 iron 200 or 160 yds. It matters that you know what yardage you hit with X club and you’re constant with it.

Then, it’s important to read the golf course you will be playing and set your bag accordingly.

As well I agree that good gapping especially on the short clubs is utmost.

1    Driver

2    Putter                       

3    4w   17° 190-220

4    4h   22* 180-190

5    5h   25* 170-180

6   6h   28* 160-170

7    7h 31* 150-160

8   7i   30* 140-150

9   8i   34.5* 130-140

10  9i   39* 120-130

11   pw   44* to 120

12 aw 49* to 100

13   sw   54* to 80

14  lw    58*

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

You told us of your problem with wedges in your original post, but nothing else regarding the other clubs in the bag. If you are satisfied with the results for all the other clubs, then nothing to change. Any clubs you find you never use? You have 14 clubs in your bag, you cannot go more, but no rule that says you can't play with fewer. Are there certain clubs you find you do not hit well with poor shot results a majority of the time? Your 3W at 16.5° is almost a 4W, do you like the club and the results?. Maybe a 5W with shorter length/higher loft might give you better shot results. If you do not find your receiving good results with your 3h, maybe replace with a 7W. For some golfers, a 4h and the 4i fill the same distance, so why carry both, other than to use as a specialty club for that one certain hole or certain shot each round? If you are satisfied with shot results with the clubs you have, maybe go in the direction of lesson with your spending to improve you scores.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR (adapter at +1.5°)

Ping G 5 & 6H, Alta CB R

Cleveland Launcher XL 7-DW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel/Callaway Supersoft

My new configuration is:

Driver

3w

3h

4h

5i - pw

55* sw

60* lw

Putter

Not sure if I will bring back the 5w yet. We’ll see in 2018.

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Cobra Fly-Z+, Matrix 6Q3 Red Tie stiff 44.5", set to 9.5, weight back

Adams Speedline S 3W reg flex stock shaft, 15*

TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3Hy stiff flex stock shaft, set to 20* and upright

TEE PRO CBh 4Hy 24* stiff flex

Bridgestone J36 PC 5-PW S300 AMT

Nike VR X3X 52, 56, 60

Vintage Ping Anser 34" 2.5* loft 74* lie

Just ordered a Nike Method Origin B2-01 because it was cheap and looked cool, and Srixon Z965 4-PW PXi 5.5 because I hate my hands and want them to suffer for being so untalented.