2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Scotty Custom Shop price hike

kush614

Trying to find the most relevant topic to ask this so I thought id just try here...I have played quite a few Scotty's and I prefer my putters to be 34 inches - since I've gotten some used through BST I've always just had them cut to the correct length at a local store. I recently bought my first circle t (rat) - would there be any reason why I shouldn't just do the same thing to have it cut down from 35 to 34 since i'm planning to game it instead of having to send it back to the gallery? Only questioning since its a circle t and now just an OTR scotty.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to find the most relevant topic to ask this so I thought id just try here...I have played quite a few Scotty's and I prefer my putters to be 34 inches - since I've gotten some used through BST I've always just had them cut to the correct length at a local store. I recently bought my first circle t (rat) - would there be any reason why I shouldn't just do the same thing to have it cut down from 35 to 34 since i'm planning to game it instead of having to send it back to the gallery? Only questioning since its a circle t and now just an OTR scotty.

I think if you're going to game it, you just do whatever it takes to make the ball go in the hole. I wouldn't worry about it's potential resale value getting hurt because of an inch cut off at the local shop...

I think if you're going to game it, you just do whatever it takes to make the ball go in the hole. I wouldn't worry about it's potential resale value getting hurt because of an inch cut off at the local shop...

ironically enough I took it yesterday - grip was pulled off only to find there was a 1 inch extension in it so just had that removed and didn't have to actually cut the shaft.

ironically enough I took it yesterday - grip was pulled off only to find there was a 1 inch extension in it so just had that removed and didn't have to actually cut the shaft.

Best of both worlds! Now you can drain putts with the comfort of knowing the putter isn't compromised.

All restorations are now $290 with 4 month turnaround time. Looks like BOS just got a lot more business from me.

http://www.scottycam...tm_medium=enews

price gouging continues. So many other companies and people do in my opinion superior work for way less.

Stamps and customization are cool, but agreed - it does feel like blatant price gouging. Just don't feel like this is the best way to build loyalty in customers spending a lot of money on a high end product.

Totally does, I'm taking my business to Golf Galaxy.

First time I purchased what I considered to be a high end Cameron, I got this one.

http://www.scottycameron.com/authentication/registry/Details.aspx?rn=A012056&registry-submit=search

Now, when it came to me the finish was gone. I was assured by the seller that I could have it refinished. Imagine my surprise when I contacted them and I was told to go pound sand because they didn't offer that finish anymore. I have kept the putter, but I do not use it for fear of it totally rusting. Let's face it, if I ever wanted to get rid of it no one would want a 009 without a finish. I have always wondered how the finish was gone, but the paintfill on everything else was fine...

I might consider sending out to have the oil can put back on it elsewhere.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

I don't do club work at all and I'm wondering if it is a pain to do? I ask because the Scotty brand is so popular that it seems like they would have tons of refinish work available. I would assume their time is better spent building new FTUO putters that command 10-15 times the prices of a refinish job. It seems to me like the price hike is something done out of better rationing their time in the shop.

The beauty of building an unbelievable brand is that you can do whatever you want. I'm sure there will still be plenty of dudes sending them in. Where it's really crazy is that people will pay 5G's to have fancy stamping work and slightly tweaked head models.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

First time I purchased what I considered to be a high end Cameron, I got this one.

http://www.scottycam...y-submit=search

Now, when it came to me the finish was gone. I was assured by the seller that I could have it refinished. Imagine my surprise when I contacted them and I was told to go pound sand because they didn't offer that finish anymore. I have kept the putter, but I do not use it for fear of it totally rusting. Let's face it, if I ever wanted to get rid of it no one would want a 009 without a finish. I have always wondered how the finish was gone, but the paintfill on everything else was fine...

Beautiful 009. LOVE that toe stamp!

Shame about the oilcan finish being gone on it. How long ago did you purchase it? Oil can has been discontinued for quite awhile. I would have ripped the seller a new one.

Do you have any pics you can share? Would love to see it.

I normally don't recommend sending a Tour putter to anyone other than Cameron, but if the face milling is in good condition I would be tempted to send it to BOS - especially if you are planning on keeping it and gaming it anyway. They did the original oil can for Cameron and his putters and they do the best oil can in the business today. Or, you could send it to the Custom Shop and have them do a black finish on it. There are more finishes for Tour putters than OTR's. Your putter would look good in the brushed black. I have 2 in the brushed black 009's and it's a lot more durable than the oilcan.

Making a putter pretty is for girls.

Feel free to call me Nancy, Sally or Sue. I've got more bottles of nail polish than my wife and carry a putter with Tiffany blue paintfill and a Tahitian sunset finish.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Feel free to call me Nancy, Sally or Sue. I've got more bottles of nail polish than my wife and carry a putter with Tiffany blue paintfill and a Tahitian sunset finish.

And we know who did the Tahitian Sunset finish. :-)

He's probably lurking here somewhere or in the garage doing more great work.

Rob

not neccesarily true... i myself am actively searching for a rough or raw carbon 009...... settled on a SSS newport 2 for now....i would hate to buy a 009 with fresh oilcan or black ox just to use the crap out of it.... ive placed want to buy ads everywhere for one unfinished , or well used.. they dont seem to exist.. stainless is ok.. but i prefer carbon with a sound slot if i have my wishes....

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

There's nothing shameful about being a girl.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

I used the Custom Shop to restore a Studio Design #5 over 10 years ago. It came back flawless, so my experience with them could be biased.

I would not send one in for a full restoration at that price though. They are obviously discouraging refinishing on any old off the rack putter. This price increase will definitely slow down the amount of freshly refinished putters showing up on ebay.

I would, however, use them for customization on a good/new OTR gamer like paintfill, new grip, some stamping, or a Custom Shop headcover. I think the CS would be money at that and have considered sending in my Newport Select for some initials and a sight dot.

I just sent my tei3 sole stamp for sight dot, and a reshaft. hope they don't mess it up lol.

Added a JunkYard Dog headcover too. Did not pay for restoration.

TSR3|10.0|Tour AD-DI 6S TSi2|14.5|Tensei Blue 7S TSi2|21|HZDUS Smoke 6.0 MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 5i & 6i|KBS C-Taper Lite S MP-18 SC (Mizuno Pro Limited Copper) 6-PW|KBS Tour S Vokey SM7 50.F Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 54.S Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 58.K Slate Blue|Modus 125 Scotty Cameron Tour Brushed Black CARBON Timeless Circle T 350G Pro V1X

no... "scotty fans" won't because most "scotty fans" don't do restos, period. The guys who resto their scotty's think they can all of a sudden get $500 for their OTR Resto.... they're high and not 'fan bois'.

Sure, once in awhile there will be a resto project to send in but dollars to donuts most guys who collect Scotty don't resto their collection and have always been against sending putters in because original condition is so much nicer than a resto job... especially since certain finishes aren't even offered any longer.

Spot on-

One of his Big Dogs in this country is outa Pgh(actually there are two guys, he being one and He said that the true hard core collectors are outa Japan. He told me some stories that I didn't wanna say anything to him cuz he is a nice soft spoken guy, and retired at 44yo, lmao, but I thought that he was full of **** however Bob Ford said that he is legit and his word's gold as far as credibility. Bob's word was good enough for me, lol) and he scoffed at the custom shop and doin any resto work, lmao.

I mentioned that I had an old Personal Coronado that was beat cosmetically that I'd picked up and I was thinking of sending it in to get it worked on and my initials stamped and he looked at me like my Grandmother used to when I blew my nose on my sleeve ;)

A collector doesn't go near that place~

It takes a lot but I felt like a dick, lol

Well, uncouth might be a better description ?

I hope that you're well Bro!!

Have a great season?

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Very well put Richard.

But it also reinforces or yet sheds light on the prevailing attitude that true Cameron collectors have. They literally do not think their putters should be used. And if they are only on dry days. And if dry no sand on greens. And so on. Which is why they are against the restoration work at the custom shop. They do not want the " unwashed " restorations mixed in with their wall hangers. Which is ignorant. It allows an avenue for entry level guys to dip their toes in and should also reinforce the value Bubble that surrounds all things Cameron.

It also gives the flipping collector a place to gain parts to part out and profit from when he gets his putter back from resto. They sell grips , shafts and headcovers as soon as they get them. Try buying a circle t putter with a circle t headcover. It's hard to near impossible to do. ( unless your north of 5k).

But then there is the paint fill issue. According to Dons doctrine paint fill must be applied by Cameron to receive a A COA. Therefore I the collectors mind if a circle t stick has painfill that's been altered or paint fill damage it hurts t he value a lot. ( which is stupid) so there has to be an outlet for this work to get Done. But what gripes me is that the true "Cameron collector " would rather that not be available so that these "altered" sticks would become less than which would drive their wall hangers up in price.

I own a Couple at the present. One Gss longneck 009 ( anyone would consider high end ) and a Newport 2 tri sole naked stainless CT ( mid range to low on the pole). Because of paint fill and actually being Used both would be considered bastards to the true " collector" ... This makes it hard for me to look at either one and enjoy them. The thought of the high nosed folks who run that show and all. Yet I have to admit. When I rinsed the fertilizer off the Gss camico in the pond by #3 the other day I did chuckle to myself at the thought of the exploding heads that would cause here. Lol.

To save those exploding heads lives I will add that I did wipe her down with my own favorite cleaner when I got home and placed her in my office where she rests between rounds. So no it wasn't put up wet etc. but I will continue to use the crap out of it. It is an unknown piece that I was given and it was gifted to me to use. That makes it more valuable to me than $. Rant over.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Very well put Richard.

But it also reinforces or yet sheds light on the prevailing attitude that true Cameron collectors have. They literally do not think their putters should be used. And if they are only on dry days. And if dry no sand on greens. And so on. Which is why they are against the restoration work at the custom shop. They do not want the " unwashed " restorations mixed in with their wall hangers. Which is ignorant. It allows an avenue for entry level guys to dip their toes in and should also reinforce the value Bubble that surrounds all things Cameron.

It also gives the flipping collector a place to gain parts to part out and profit from when he gets his putter back from resto. They sell grips , shafts and headcovers as soon as they get them. Try buying a circle t putter with a circle t headcover. It's hard to near impossible to do. ( unless your north of 5k).

But then there is the paint fill issue. According to Dons doctrine paint fill must be applied by Cameron to receive a A COA. Therefore I the collectors mind if a circle t stick has painfill that's been altered or paint fill damage it hurts t he value a lot. ( which is stupid) so there has to be an outlet for this work to get Done. But what gripes me is that the true "Cameron collector " would rather that not be available so that these "altered" sticks would become less than which would drive their wall hangers up in price.

I own a Couple at the present. One Gss longneck 009 ( anyone would consider high end ) and a Newport 2 tri sole naked stainless CT ( mid range to low on the pole). Because of paint fill and actually being Used both would be considered bastards to the true " collector" ... This makes it hard for me to look at either one and enjoy them. The thought of the high nosed folks who run that show and all. Yet I have to admit. When I rinsed the fertilizer off the Gss camico in the pond by #3 the other day I did chuckle to myself at the thought of the exploding heads that would cause here. Lol.

To save those exploding heads lives I will add that I did wipe her down with my own favorite cleaner when I got home and placed her in my office where she rests between rounds. So no it wasn't put up wet etc. but I will continue to use the crap out of it. It is an unknown piece that I was given and it was gifted to me to use. That makes it more valuable to me than $. Rant over.

I think a lot of your criticism comes from the perception that all Cameron collectors are obsessed with their putters holding their value...that's why many of them look down on restoration of putters that don't really have anything wrong with them. I restored a tour Newport that was in Pro Platinum last year. Went with black oxide. I even have my initials on the putter. This stick has been in my possession since December of 2011...never have intended to sell it, so its "value" doesn't really matter to me. I think there are more Cameron collectors/enthusiasts like me than you believe.

Otherwise, I don't know where you're getting a lot of the angst about Cameron collectors. I don't know anyone in that community who thinks that paintfill at the CS shouldn't be an option (that's how I read one part of your post...I apologize if I misunderstood).

Anyway...I'm sorry if any Cameron Collectors have upset you in the past. Every group has a few bad apples who make the whole look bad, too.

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

Very well put Richard.

I think a lot of your criticism comes from the perception that all Cameron collectors are obsessed with their putters holding their value...that's why many of them look down on restoration of putters that don't really have anything wrong with them. I restored a tour Newport that was in Pro Platinum last year. Went with black oxide. I even have my initials on the putter. This stick has been in my possession since December of 2011...never have intended to sell it, so its "value" doesn't really matter to me. I think there are more Cameron collectors/enthusiasts like me than you believe.

Otherwise, I don't know where you're getting a lot of the angst about Cameron collectors. I don't know anyone in that community who thinks that paintfill at the CS shouldn't be an option (that's how I read one part of your post...I apologize if I misunderstood).

Anyway...I'm sorry if any Cameron Collectors have upset you in the past. Every group has a few bad apples who make the whole look bad, too.

Oh I agree. There are plenty , in fact the vast majority are like minded folks. Which is why it's frustrating that the minority dictates what's what. I consider myself a " collector". I just don't view the same things as collectible as most of them do. The fact that early , COA proven tour putters aren't valued more so than the cookie cutter 009s that are produced now tells the tale. The ones with a real pedigree. Those I love. And I have a few of.

But real question ? What is up with the headcovers. Not the cost. But why can you never buy a putter with a cover ? Maybe I'm the one who's wrong for selling putters with a cover ? I assumed a cover and grip was part of " a putter ". At least it is with most any other brand.

No part on paint fill is that putter is very much devalued if the paint doesn't match the COA. And to rectify it you must send all the way to California and wait 6 weeks plus to get paint fill. Or paint fill and new COA.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Very well put Richard.

Oh I agree. There are plenty , in fact the vast majority are like minded folks. Which is why it's frustrating that the minority dictates what's what. I consider myself a " collector". I just don't view the same things as collectible as most of them do. The fact that early , COA proven tour putters aren't valued more so than the cookie cutter 009s that are produced now tells the tale. The ones with a real pedigree. Those I love. And I have a few of.

But real question ? What is up with the headcovers. Not the cost. But why can you never buy a putter with a cover ? Maybe I'm the one who's wrong for selling putters with a cover ? I assumed a cover and grip was part of " a putter ". At least it is with most any other brand.

No part on paint fill is that putter is very much devalued if the paint doesn't match the COA. And to rectify it you must send all the way to California and wait 6 weeks plus to get paint fill. Or paint fill and new COA.

Ah, makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I, too, MUCH prefer the older putters that aren't being pumped out directly to collectors via the Gallery. They're hard to come by, for sure.

As for headcovers...you already pointed out why you can't find a tour stick with a HC. People either sell off the headcover when their tour stick arrives because they need to recoup some of the $4k they just spent OR they sell both separately to maximize how much they can get out of it.

Hang in there and keep enjoying the putters you have...they sound like winners to me.

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

yep will do... i suppose so .. with the new putters i see why they are able to do it ... with used one on ebay it blows my mind that lack of a $300 cover doesnt seem to effect price... i suppose those of us who have sold one with a cover have just given the covers away... if so then thats my fault.. just is a turn off to me to have to go find a cover if you pickup another putter... i dont collect beanie babys, or headcovers... so dont have a stash at home..yet somehow it feels wrong to not have a tour cover on a $3k putter ..no?

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This is a company that issues COAs with equivalent "A" ratings for putters refinished by the SCCS as putters in their original finish/condition, while devaluing any SC putter when it is so much as looked at by another professional refinishing company. Even though some of those same companies (*cough* BOS *cough wheeze*) were good enough to produce the "original" finish on a lot of those SC's.....

And the SC community has accepted this completely illogical practice as gospel.

Not surprising news in the slightest.

Edit: Failed to spell "practice" right, lol

Ill do you one better

I had a Circle T stamped Mid-Sur Pro Platinum sent out for a COA. I cut it down, regripped it and re did the paintfill....and it got an A rating with a statement below saying the shortened length was requested by the player, LMAO.

It's all a joke

yep will do... i suppose so .. with the new putters i see why they are able to do it ... with used one on ebay it blows my mind that lack of a $300 cover doesnt seem to effect price... i suppose those of us who have sold one with a cover have just given the covers away... if so then thats my fault.. just is a turn off to me to have to go find a cover if you pickup another putter... i dont collect beanie babys, or headcovers... so dont have a stash at home..yet somehow it feels wrong to not have a tour cover on a $3k putter ..no?

The lack of correct headcover in the Cameron market is one of my pet peeves, especially on the "Inspired by" putters. It is easy to find a Circle T cover, but try finding a cover for an Inspired by Davis Love Studio Stainless. It's next to impossible.

I turned down a deal for an Inspired by Brad Faxon back in the day since it did not have the headcover. I have always been a big fan of the Zing/Laguna shape and it was the only way to get a plumber's neck on that shape. Looking back, I should have bought the putter, but the headcover thing had not blown up yet. That Screamin' Yellow headcover was a BIG deal.

I don't understand either why the older Circle T's and Inspired By's are cheaper and not as popular as the new stuff at the Gallery. The older ones have more mojo. That being said, my current gamer is a 2016 Newport Select. I have always wanted a 009, and this was the closest that Cameron has let me get without paying the price of admission. I love it.

Sorry to take this off on a tangent, but I wanted to share my frustration on the headcover thing.

Beautiful 009. LOVE that toe stamp!

Shame about the oilcan finish being gone on it. How long ago did you purchase it? Oil can has been discontinued for quite awhile. I would have ripped the seller a new one.

Do you have any pics you can share? Would love to see it.

I normally don't recommend sending a Tour putter to anyone other than Cameron, but if the face milling is in good condition I would be tempted to send it to BOS - especially if you are planning on keeping it and gaming it anyway. They did the original oil can for Cameron and his putters and they do the best oil can in the business today. Or, you could send it to the Custom Shop and have them do a black finish on it. There are more finishes for Tour putters than OTR's. Your putter would look good in the brushed black. I have 2 in the brushed black 009's and it's a lot more durable than the oilcan.

Thanks for the advice! I purchased the putter about 3 years ago, from a seller out of Japan. The same guy used to have a lot of older Scotty's and never really had any of the newer releases like the guys on Ebay that flip the gallery putters.I fully admit to knowing the finish was gone, I hope I did not make it sound like he was not forthcoming about that. I bought the putter on the basis of being told that I could have it refinished. Wonderful guy to work with, I just wish he had been a tad more revealing about the replacement of the oil can finish. All in all should have done more homework I guess, or maybe English wasn't his first language and emails were not fully understood. I will post some pictures when I get home from work.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

• 4 months later...