Phil on Feherty

Cool Hand Luke

Did y'all catch the rapid fire question about what was harder winning a green jacket or buying a in-n-out franchise? Anybody know the back story on this? I know he owns a few 5 Guys. Personally I'd take Shake Shack over both of those.

Shake Shack does not franchise either. Therefore your comment is invalid and this will be noted in your file.

Good day.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did y'all catch the rapid fire question about what was harder winning a green jacket or buying a in-n-out franchise? Anybody know the back story on this? I know he owns a few 5 Guys. Personally I'd take Shake Shack over both of those.

Shake Shack does not franchise either. Therefore your comment is invalid and this will be noted in your file.

Good day.

ha, fair enough

although my comment was more about what I prefer to eat, not which I would rather own

I enjoyed Part 1, see I am a similar personality to what you saw, love to tell a good story, VERY quick to laugh at myself and the stupid things I have done in my life. Phil is 2 years older than me and I just had this talk with my boss. I know my place when it comes to responsibilities professionally and with my kids, after that I am still a kid at heart. If you aren't laughing and having fun then you aren't living life!

As for the restaurants, Phil owns Southwest Acquisitions and they own 100+ Waffle Houses in the Southeast area as well. Does he come off as brash to some people? Sure! but I personally relate to his style and surround myself with people equal to that level of being a wise-a**. More fun that way!

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

It was nice of Phil to sincerely acknowledge Tiger being solely responsible for the purse sizes these guys are playing for. I don't think there is any combating that no matter which side of the Tiger fence you sit on.

?? Who has ever denied that? Or Arnie & Jacks impact on purses from the big 3 era? Phil has been saying this since 2000 nothing new

I think anyone who pays even casual attention to sports would deny it.

Not saying Tiger didn't have an impact on golf, but "solely responsible"? Come on.

Virtually every spectator sport you can think of has enjoyed similar growth to pro golf over the past 20-25 years.

I too liked his acknowledging TW and his impact on the game.... however, I can't help but think deep down there is some resentment. I mean if it weren't for TW we would refer to the past 20 years as the Phil era, right? I'm not saying he's being dishonest about appreciating Tiger but he has to wrestle with that fact in his heart of hearts.

There is 0 doubt that Phil had the misfortune of playing his peak years in the Tiger era.

In a way, Mickelson is to Tiger, what Peyton Manning was to Tom Brady.

i was really excited for this interview but basically got nothing out of it, to me it was a huge letdown, maybe part 2 will be better. Phil is clearly an absurdly intense person with an extremely active opinionated mind, along the lines of Tiger Woods but not to the point where it has completely derailed his career like it has with Tiger Woods. Phil has superb self belief and confidence in his immense talents but didnt take it to the narcissistic levels of believing he could continually get better by rebuilding his swing 5 times from ground up and train with navy seals although in regards to the scandal there are countless rumors about phil and other women, especially around Scottsdale.

Phil with other women? Really? I live in Scottsdale but have never heard anything.....not saying you're wrong but I've never heard a thing related to that....Tiger and Barkley however are different stories.

Could just be rumors that ive heard from different sources over the years, i have no proof of anything and nothing ever surfaced in the mainstream media. I wouldnt be surprised, even Arnie was rumored to make Tiger look like a choir boy

Folks, if you don't think a lot of Tour players act like other pro athletes when the wives aren't around, then you're naive.

It was nice of Phil to sincerely acknowledge Tiger being solely responsible for the purse sizes these guys are playing for. I don't think there is any combating that no matter which side of the Tiger fence you sit on.

?? Who has ever denied that? Or Arnie & Jacks impact on purses from the big 3 era? Phil has been saying this since 2000 nothing new

I think anyone who pays even casual attention to sports would deny it.

Not saying Tiger didn't have an impact on golf, but "solely responsible"? Come on.

Virtually every spectator sport you can think of has enjoyed similar growth to pro golf over the past 20-25 years.

Oh I see what you mean. I dont think he is solely responsible but he was a factor moreso in sponsorship.I wasnt clear enough in my comment. What i meant is his contributions are appreciated just like NBA players know the bird magic jordan effect on their salaries with the endorsement side. As you said, every major sport has grown because of the TV deals in the last 25-30 years no doubt. When you have someone doing historic things like tiger was it brings extar attention to the sport via corporate $. Thats what I meant. But not solely, thats for sure.

I too liked his acknowledging TW and his impact on the game.... however, I can't help but think deep down there is some resentment. I mean if it weren't for TW we would refer to the past 20 years as the Phil era, right? I'm not saying he's being dishonest about appreciating Tiger but he has to wrestle with that fact in his heart of hearts.

There is 0 doubt that Phil had the misfortune of playing his peak years in the Tiger era.

Not to derail the thread but not really at all. When Manning had the better team/defense he always beat Brady and the pats. Look at AFC championship games 3-1. Brady had a better team 90% of their time in the league.

Pats lose Brady go 11-5.

Colts lose Manning 2-14

Brady is no Tiger not even close.

I dont like team sport comparisons. i prefer tennis as a comparable

Federer/Nadal/Djokovic

Since 2003 the last 56 majors these 3 have won 44. One of these guys would be at 25 without 1 or 2 around

Not to derail the thread but not really at all. When Manning had the better team/defense he always beat Brady and the pats. Look at AFC championship games 3-1. Brady had a better team 90% of their time in the league.

Pats lose Brady go 11-5.

Colts lose Manning 2-14

Excellent point.

Mine, not as well articulated as I was hoping, is that Phil played 2nd fiddle to Tiger. Could have been even more legandary had he been either a little older or younger. (More prime years without Tiger)

Hard to remember two guys more pleased with themselves. Until this interview I pretty much was a Phil fan. Now it is confirmed he is a major Dbag. Like the high school big man who has never grown up..

Did he steal your girlfriend? You seem.....angry.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Hard to remember two guys more pleased with themselves. Until this interview I pretty much was a Phil fan. Now it is confirmed he is a major Dbag. Like the high school big man who has never grown up..

Did he steal your girlfriend? You seem.....angry.

Funny, I'm on the other end...Huge and I mean huge figjam hater and I enjoyed this a lot. He came off as expected, pretty full of himself, but some great stories. The green shoes/belt story with Kuchar and the fake letter to Monte were awesome. Enjoying the interview and look forward to Part 2.

Still convinced some video of him and some barn animals at a Motel 6 will surface :)))

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

so you think he's referring to himself as the really stupid type?

umm...nope.

"I do believe he believes he is an artistic genius on the course, which would be hard to refute."

I probably should have inserted an "however" between my two phrases, though.

haha, i didnt' think so....

I agree with his premise btw, I just wonder if the way he worded it may cause some backlash

I actually don't agree with his premise. Perhaps he should have rephrased it as, "to be great...". There are a multitude of good players on tour that are neither geniuses nor dummies. I'm thinking of the plodder types - Zach Johnson, Steve Stricker, Darren Clarke, etc...These guys can demonstrate finesse, shotmaking ability, coolness under pressure, but I don't believe they exemplify the artistry of a Phil or Seve type. Nor do they show the indifference of a DJ or Fred Couples type.

And then there are the exceptional talents - the gifted ones. I would put Rory, Jordan, and maybe John Daly in this category. Guys who the rules don't seem to apply to. Not necessarily a genius or a dunce, but simply granted a God-given ability to hit shots with a combination of strength and speed and accuracy that only a select few can match.

I think Phil is actually trying to nominate himself to genius level by this comment.

if you take it literally (which I didn't think you did based on your initial post) then I agree with you

however, I think he meant it more in the vein of analytical players vs feel players or left brain vs right brain... and in that being his premise I agree that you either have to be all in one way or another, can't be straddling the fence- which is where probably 90% of amateurs are at.

then again, he could just be FIGJAMMIN

This is the correct interpretation. Not a big deal (unless you are GC and other media outlets who want to make a big deal out of it because they have a vested...you know the rest).

Pats lose Brady go 11-5.

Colts lose Manning 2-14

Excellent point.

Mine, not as well articulated as I was hoping, is that Phil played 2nd fiddle to Tiger. Could have been even more legandary had he been either a little older or younger. (More prime years without Tiger)

Agreed 100%. No tiger around were talking about Phil getting to at least 10 majors.He didnt get early ones like Ernie did and still ended up with more.

i thought he was genuine and cool, great interview and i like both of them very much. why would u call him a dbag after an interview?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

If you got that out of the interview you need a new TV.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

They said today the Phil interview broke all viewing records for the show.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

If you got that out of the interview you need a new TV.

he did not watch the same show that we did

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Pats lose Brady go 11-5.

Colts lose Manning 2-14

Federer/Nadal/Djokovic

Since 2003 the last 56 majors these 3 have won 44. One of these guys would be at 25 without 1 or 2 around

People are still going with this tired argument on Manning?

Manning 14-13 postseason record. 9 first round playoff exits. He'd pile up regular season wins and MVPs and then when he stunk in the playoffs people would blame his team.

His first Superbowl win his QB ratings were BRUTAL during the playoffs that year.

Brady 25-9 postseason record, 5 Superbowl wins, owns the two largest comebacks in Superbowl history, this last one without his best offensive weapon. Only bounced in the first round of the playoffs twice in 14 appearances. Again, Manning NINE times in 15 postseason appearances.

Manning 4 TDs and 5 INT in the Superbowl, Brady 15 TD 5 INT.

But apparently that's all due to Brady and the system he played in. Amazing people still go with that argument. He also had far less talent on offense the majority of the time compared to Manning. I don't know how people watch Brady and some of the throws he made in his last two Superbowl wins and think "yeah, total system QB".

I think Manning is one of the greatest QBs of all time, but I'd take Brady over him anytime. I remember the Colts without Manning going 2-14 - was their motto "suck for Luck"? Yeah, big effort that year.

I just watched Phil's comments on how he controls the ball. Choke down 1" for each 3 yds shorter, open face 2* for each 3 yds shorter and 2yds left, hitting cuts, keeping it down, he had a swing for every possible situation. It was hilarious. Especially when after 3 full minutes Phil finally shuts up and David looks perplexed and says, " Well, that certainly explains a lot of things".

Pats lose Brady go 11-5.

Colts lose Manning 2-14

Federer/Nadal/Djokovic

Manning 14-13 postseason record. 9 first round playoff exits. He'd pile up regular season wins and MVPs and then when he stunk in the playoffs people would blame his team.

His first Superbowl win his QB ratings were BRUTAL during the playoffs that year.

Brady 25-9 postseason record, 5 Superbowl wins, owns the two largest comebacks in Superbowl history, this last one without his best offensive weapon. Only bounced in the first round of the playoffs twice in 14 appearances. Again, Manning NINE times in 15 postseason appearances.

But apparently that's all due to Brady and the system he played in. Amazing people still go with that argument. He also had far less talent on offense the majority of the time compared to Manning. I don't know how people watch Brady and some of the throws he made in his last two Superbowl wins and think "yeah, total system QB".

I think Manning is one of the greatest QBs of all time, but I'd take Brady over him anytime. I remember the Colts without Manning going 2-14 - was their motto "suck for Luck"? Yeah, big effort that year.

Teams win Superbowls; players win MVPs. 5-2 Peyton.

Give Peyton the early 2000s Pats D, kicker, and (most importantly) cheating and he'd never lose. Ever.

I just watched Phil's comments on how he controls the ball. Choke down 1" for each 3 yds shorter, open face 2* for each 3 yds shorter and 2yds left, hitting cuts, keeping it down, he had a swing for every possible situation. It was hilarious. Especially when after 3 full minutes Phil finally shuts up and David looks perplexed and says, " Well, that certainly explains a lot of things".

Some of the paralysis by analysis guys on Tour crack me up. I guess they enjoy that stuff, but it's great to see guys like DJ and Rory just step up and hit the ball with great results.

I feel like Rory's caddie is just sort of "there". Some caddies have to have a 20 minute conversation seemingly before every shot.

No way is right or wrong, but the difference between guys on Tour is pretty funny in that regard.

Give Peyton the early 2000s Pats D, kicker, and (most importantly) cheating and he'd never lose. Ever.

The Colts ranked in the top 8 in the league in points against five years when Peyton was there. The notion that he always had a garbage defense with the Colts is overblown. They had a top 5 offense 9 times.

To not get out of the first round as many times as he did is quite bad with that combination. Heck, even when his defense was bad, you should still get out of the first round more often.

The Colts ranked in the top 8 in the league in points against five years when Peyton was there. The notion that he always had a garbage defense with the Colts is overblown. They had a top 5 offense 9 times.

To not get out of the first round as many times as he did is quite bad with that combination. Heck, even when his defense was bad, you should still get out of the first round more often.

Im not going to change your mind or anything but your premise is 1 and dones is your criteria? That shows your regular season is smoke and mirros and your team isnt as good as its record. Are you going to to really argue Manning had similar defences to Bradys? Similar coaching? I didnt say Brady is a system quarterback but tell me which team he put on his back to single handidly win. He missed 4 games this year pats 3-1. Ask yourself if you put Brady on the buffalo bills how many superbowls does he get to let alone win? put manning on another team he single handidly makes them contenders. Thats how I judge them.

Pats lose Brady go 11-5.

Colts lose Manning 2-14

Federer/Nadal/Djokovic

Yeah they were tanking... not the fact that they were a horrible team without Manning.

Its cool. You can argue his playoff record but seriously TD/Int ratio in the superbowl? Brady won a super bowl throwing for 130 yards.

He doesnt throw pics because he never throws into traffic. When he does he turns it over like everybody else. The pats are the greatest frontrunners ever so he never has to force anything because he has great field position 90% of the time and the lead.

In his first 9 playoff games he threw 11 TDs and won all of them. Averaged 210 yards a game! Find me those indy teams that could win with manning not throwing for 300 and 2/3 TDs a game ?

What throws did Brady make this superbowl that had you in awe? Aaron Rodgers single handidly won a playoff game with a throw maybe only John Elway can make ever. You think Brady wins the super bowl in green bay?

Great QB but has GREATLY benefitted from the where he plays, its not debatable

As much as I'm embarrassed to chime in on this, if it does any good to the end the discussion and the hypothetical QB love posts, here are (the other) PM's stats in his win in Super Bowl 50:: 13/23, 141 yards, 0/1 TD/INT

Elway's win in SB 32: 12/22, 123 yards, 0/1 TD/INT

Go to bed.

Easy there fella.

You just proved my point. TEAM sport. Elway took teams to the big dance that had no business being there.

When Manning had better teams/D he beat Brady everytime. AFC championship record shows this.

Not a knock on Brady but his record isnt what it is on any other team.

Now you go to bed tough guy

This is awesome. The story about his grandfather nudging in that putt on 18 at Augusta is pretty cool.

I agree. This was the best Feherty interview ever. And I love the Feherty shows.

Phil is more entertaining than the next ten tour pros. By the time he finishes his golf career, his impact on the game will have been more than anyone since Palmer. I suspect he will be very involved in golf for the next 30 years.