Phil on Feherty

Cool Hand Luke

His FIGJAM on tour legendary.

Will probably try to become the next commish after he retires. But I'm not sure if that would be best for all of the tour since he's very opinionated on who deserves what.

Former Tour Caddie - Perpetual Opinionator

Titleist 917 10.5*
Titleist 915 15*
Titleist 913 18*
Titleist 690.MB 3-PW
Vokey 53, 59
Odessey #7 Black - Gel Face

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

far too many commercials and not enough content

He did say roll and tight too often

I see why he is polarizing .. sarcasm is not loved by half the population. Me, I am a big fan of it, comes from my British father .. he was relentless

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I enjoyed this Alan Shipnuck interview with Phil much more than the first part of this Feherty interview.

https://soundcloud.c.../phil-mickelson

It felt like Phil was performing too much with Feherty. Maybe that's what Feherty wanted or maybe Phil felt compelled to in front of the cameras.

Thanks for posting. I heard the Keegan story but very little of the rest of the interview. He's an intriguing person and, as someone who's struggled with depression/anxiety/negative self-thoughts, it's really helpful to me that he speaks so positively.

He could be a bit more humble, but it seems like a lot of it is him trying to be humorous. Would love to meet him at some point and shoot the s***.

My only Phil complaint is that I wish he was actually left-handed, heh.

far too many commercials and not enough content

He did say roll and tight too often

I see why he is polarizing .. sarcasm is not loved by half the population. Me, I am a big fan of it, comes from my British father .. he was relentless

Check that podcast DailyDrawing posted if you haven't. An hour straight of Phil talking with some good questions thrown at him. Yeah, to me about every third comment is him being sarcastic.

Man it would be nice if we could keep posts to what we really know. But it's not just a wrx issue that's for sure. Post enough conjecture, rumor and innuendo and it becomes the "truth".

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Phil's explanation of why a 6 iron in the trees on 13 was the percentage play was interesting insight for me as to why the guy has so many close non wins in majors vs. actual wins. He appears less skilled at measuring risk and reward compared to other all time greats. In his own example a third option existed- hit the lay up wedge shot with the 6 iron. BTW, he missed the putt.

As for his personality he is entertaining if you like locker room stuff but I expect his act wears thin over time. No surprise that he sees himself as the lawyer type.

He plays a game with which I am unfamiliar but also thinks about the game differently- many times to his detriment. In fact if you polled the pros on tour whom they would most like to beat down the stretch I expect he would be high on the list. Feherty said it best that he is like watching a drunk chase a balloon in the wind along a cliff.

All that being said he has been great for golf because he illustrates that an adolescent outlook can entertain and distract from the measured tactical approach so many other players develop. He has won due to his commitment to keep golf fun which for him is the price he pays for so many failed opportunities. Boring it is not.

Phil's explanation of why a 6 iron in the trees on 13 was the percentage play was interesting insight for me as to why the guy has so many close non wins in majors vs. actual wins. He appears less skilled at measuring risk and reward compared to other all time greats. In his own example a third option existed- hit the lay up wedge shot with the 6 iron. BTW, he missed the putt.

As for his personality he is entertaining if you like locker room stuff but I expect his act wears thin over time. No surprise that he sees himself as the lawyer type.

He plays a game with which I am unfamiliar but also thinks about the game differently- many times to his detriment. In fact if you polled the pros on tour whom they would most like to beat down the stretch I expect he would be high on the list. Feherty said it best that he is like watching a drunk chase a balloon in the wind along a cliff.

All that being said he has been great for golf because he illustrates that an adolescent outlook can entertain and distract from the measured tactical approach so many other players develop. He has won due to his commitment to keep golf fun which for him is the price he pays for so many failed opportunities. Boring it is not.

nobody cares that he didnt make eagle. He made the birdie putt comebacker and put the tournament away. The roar from that shot was deafening. the last 3 groups heard it and knew it was over. He himself said he was trying to put it left side of the green and tugged it. it was the right call

As for his risk measuring compared to other all time greats , I disagree its inferior as he is an aggressive player. Think back at how many players have folded in the last holes or back nine and backed into majors and how many have hit heroic shots to clinch titles. Remember Harrington at carnoustie in 2007. Think about if he loses that playoff does he ever win a major let alone 3? after folding on 18 putting 2 balls in the water with his aggressive play off the tee? Sometimes you live by the sword and sometimes you die by it. Hes lost a few sure but hes also won more than he lost

I have never been a big fan but the show was very entertaining. I might even root for him,.I would love some of that watch me attitude. Lots to be learned from Phil in that he could care less about how good he hits it but rather put a score on the board.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I certainly enjoyed sho, however, next week I'll record it and watch later sans commercials--after Golf Channel and NBC four days a week I've had about all the Farmer's commercials I can eat in one week.

Exactly - constant advertisement interruptions were over-the-top. I'll record it next week so I can FF through the ads, and Feherty reading his lines and the accompanying fake laugh tracks.

The show was enjoyable as long as Phil was being Phil as the center of the show. The remainder is a waste of time.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

nobody cares that he didnt make eagle. He made the birdie putt comebacker and put the tournament away. The roar from that shot was deafening. the last 3 groups heard it and knew it was over. He himself said he was trying to put it left side of the green and tugged it. it was the right call

As for his risk measuring compared to other all time greats , I disagree its inferior as he is an aggressive player. Think back at how many players have folded in the last holes or back nine and backed into majors and how many have hit heroic shots to clinch titles. Remember Harrington at carnoustie in 2007. Think about if he loses that playoff does he ever win a major let alone 3? after folding on 18 putting 2 balls in the water with his aggressive play off the tee? Sometimes you live by the sword and sometimes you die by it. Hes lost a few sure but hes also won more than he lost

LOL, my golfing daughter who has never been a Phil fan was a junior in HS and when it happened and to this day if you tell her it was a great shot she says, "didn't make the putt." But she's consistent - a month before out in California I hit what I still consider my best shot ever out of a bunker (or anywhere) to pretty close, and as I was celebrating my shot and coming up to the green she said, "gotta make the putt" - luckily I did or she'd still be giving me a hard time about it.

Cripes.... the things some of you will complain about...

Phil told great stories, was humble at times, provided insight to his way of working around a course, opened up about his relationship with Tiger, has charisma, is self deprecating.... he's just a guy.... he has faults, but also has a tremendous amount of skill.... "O I'll be on the next two Ryder Cup teams!" .... who doesn't want him saying that?

I don't care if the Alan what's his name interview was better or that his coat was questionable.... that was entertaining for an hour... And even at 46 Phil is one of the best on Tour right now.

I really enjoyed it. I think Phil came across as charismatic, entertaining, and cocky. Good story teller.

Exactly. An american Seve through and through. We wont get another one like him in our time. His interactions with the media are always refreshing. He knows how good he is and he lets you know he knows like all the all time greats.

it reminds me of a Seve interview from 1987 or 88 when he stares at a BBC reporter who called some of his shots crazy. He said and i quote" I dont understand why you say this? Peter Alliss also says this alot. Oh Seve! hes in trouble in the bushes, in the trees, under the trees and so on. Then i hit my shot on the green and hes surprised. Why are you and peter surprised? i do this all the time"

The stones to say stuff like that at that time...

I enjoyed this Alan Shipnuck interview with Phil much more than the first part of this Feherty interview.

It felt like Phil was performing too much with Feherty. Maybe that's what Feherty wanted or maybe Phil felt compelled to in front of the cameras.

Thanks for posting. I heard the Keegan story but very little of the rest of the interview. He's an intriguing person and, as someone who's struggled with depression/anxiety/negative self-thoughts, it's really helpful to me that he speaks so positively.

He could be a bit more humble, but it seems like a lot of it is him trying to be humorous. Would love to meet him at some point and shoot the s***.

After watching this, I feel like if you asked Phil why he plays left-handed (even tho he's righty), he'd have a story about the whole thought process and analysis his 3yo brain went through in deciding to play from the other side.

After watching this, I feel like if you asked Phil why he plays left-handed (even tho he's righty), he'd have a story about the whole thought process and analysis his 3yo brain went through in deciding to play from the other side.

Haha, oh I'm sure he has plenty of insight why he thinks it works so well. But I recall the story is that it was his dads decision. When being taught the swing Phil was able to mirror his dad when they faced each other.

The dominant hand leading the club in theory does have merit, and the golf swing is fully a two-handed, full body motion. But how many tennis players have a better backhand than forehand (maybe not an ideal comparison), or baseball players who are better hitting from the opposite side?

I see Jordan Spieth throw golf balls w his left hand and have wondered if he's a lefty.

I'm a lefty who started playing righty because my dad didn't want to pay for lefty clubs in the early 80s. and I hated the game. Once he gave in and bought me lefty clubs when I was 14, I immediately fell in love w the game. In retrospect having experience from both sides has helped and seems like a good brain exercise.

Haha, oh I'm sure he has plenty of insight why he thinks it works so well. But I recall the story is that it was his dads decision. When being taught the swing Phil was able to mirror his dad when they faced each other.

The dominant hand leading the club in theory does have merit, and the golf swing is fully a two-handed, full body motion. But how many tennis players have a better backhand than forehand (maybe not an ideal comparison), or baseball players who are better hitting from the opposite side?

I see Jordan Spieth throw golf balls w his left hand and have wondered if he's a lefty.

I'm a lefty who started playing righty because my dad didn't want to pay for lefty clubs in the early 80s. and I hated the game. Once he gave in and bought me lefty clubs when I was 14, I immediately fell in love w the game. In retrospect having experience from both sides has helped and seems like a good brain exercise.

Some of us are ambidextrous. Born a lefty, later in my youth switched to righty. I play golf right handed, but can play left, putt and write both left and right handed, and shoot with both hands, among other activities. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Some of us are ambidextrous. Born a lefty, later in my youth switched to righty. I play golf right handed, but can play left, putt and write both left and right handed, and shoot with both hands, among other activities. :beach:

Fair point. Actually the man who installed my new grips yesterday writes lefty but says he's always played sports righty. Have another friend like that, too.

Did y'all catch the rapid fire question about what was harder winning a green jacket or buying a in-n-out franchise? Anybody know the back story on this? I know he owns a few 5 Guys. Personally I'd take Shake Shack over both of those.

all stores are company owned, no franchises, and its not a public company thats not for sale.

its why they are only in a few states. if they had franchised theyd have been all over the country long ago.

also shake shack (or 5 guys really) compared to in-n-out isnt really the same thing. in-n-out is a true fast food burger, just far better than other fast food places. shake shack is nice, i like their burgers, but they are FAR more expensive than in-n-out, its more of an upscale fast casual sort of restaurant vs a true fast food joint like in-n-out. which is why there have probably been a lot of people wanting to invest. there's not really any other fast food burger place that delivers so much quality at a cheap price.