Phil on Feherty

Cool Hand Luke

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice of Phil to sincerely acknowledge Tiger being solely responsible for the purse sizes these guys are playing for. I don't think there is any combating that no matter which side of the Tiger fence you sit on.

?? Who has ever denied that? Or Arnie & Jacks impact on purses from the big 3 era? Phil has been saying this since 2000 nothing new

I think anyone who pays even casual attention to sports would deny it.

Not saying Tiger didn't have an impact on golf, but "solely responsible"? Come on.

Virtually every spectator sport you can think of has enjoyed similar growth to pro golf over the past 20-25 years.

You are correct. PGA Tour purses have been going up at about the same rate every year since 1960.

This is one tournament, but may be an icon for the tour. The PGA Championship winners purse did NOT increase faster after TW arrived.

Here are some interesting stats;

214 Pct increase from1996 to 2009 (The TW era)

330% increase from 1983 to 1996 (13 years prior to TW. The Norman/Trevino/Miller era???)

213% increase from 1979 to 1984 (13 years including the Watson era)

309% increase from 1961 to 1974 (first 13 years of the Nicklaus era)

380% increase from 1990 to 2003 (first 13 years of Mickelson’s career)

Yeah they were tanking... not the fact that they were a horrible team without Manning.

Its cool. You can argue his playoff record but seriously TD/Int ratio in the superbowl? Brady won a super bowl throwing for 130 yards.

He doesnt throw pics because he never throws into traffic. When he does he turns it over like everybody else. The pats are the greatest frontrunners ever so he never has to force anything because he has great field position 90% of the time and the lead.

In his first 9 playoff games he threw 11 TDs and won all of them. Averaged 210 yards a game! Find me those indy teams that could win with manning not throwing for 300 and 2/3 TDs a game ?

What throws did Brady make this superbowl that had you in awe? Aaron Rodgers single handidly won a playoff game with a throw maybe only John Elway can make ever. You think Brady wins the super bowl in green bay?

Great QB but has GREATLY benefitted from the where he plays, its not debatable

Have you not watched the last two Superbowls Brady played in? Good grief. He made tons of great passes.

The argument with Manning > Brady was stats, until Brady got Moss/Welker (first great receivers he played with) and then he started putting up huge numbers with them. Before that he got to the AFC title game with Reche Caldwell as his best WR.

So then the narrative was that Manning's teams were all complete garbage, and Tony Dungy is a terrible coach. Again, Manning had a top 8 defense in Indy five times. People act like they were worst in the league every single year.

What Colts team could win without Manning throwing for 300 yards and 2/3 TD's a game? How about the one that won the Superbowl. Manning had three TDs and SEVEN interceptions that postseason.

It's as if people don't actually watch the games. Making hypothetical arguments like "the Bills aren't contenders with Brady" isn't very strong.

Brady went 13 for 15 for 124 yards and 2 TDs in the 4th quarter against the #1 ranked Seahawks defense to win the Superbowl, and complete at the time the greatest comeback in Superbowl history.

But you're right, he can't play from behind and is a frontrunner. He also has the second most 4th quarter comebacks in league history, but again, he's just a frontrunner.

Peyton and Brady are both great quarterbacks. But those who just say "system QB" when they talk about Brady, don't seem to have actually watched the games.

why are we talking football. if so, how about joe montana

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Teams win Superbowls; players win MVPs. 5-2 Peyton.

Give Peyton the early 2000s Pats D, kicker, and (most importantly) cheating and he'd never lose. Ever.

The Colts ranked in the top 8 in the league in points against five years when Peyton was there. The notion that he always had a garbage defense with the Colts is overblown. They had a top 5 offense 9 times.

To not get out of the first round as many times as he did is quite bad with that combination. Heck, even when his defense was bad, you should still get out of the first round more often.

Im not going to change your mind or anything but your premise is 1 and dones is your criteria? That shows your regular season is smoke and mirros and your team isnt as good as its record. Are you going to to really argue Manning had similar defences to Bradys? Similar coaching? I didnt say Brady is a system quarterback but tell me which team he put on his back to single handidly win. He missed 4 games this year pats 3-1. Ask yourself if you put Brady on the buffalo bills how many superbowls does he get to let alone win? put manning on another team he single handidly makes them contenders. Thats how I judge them.

Also, the notion that Manning's defense failed him made him lose in the playoffs is overblown.

In his nine first round losses, Indy only went over 18 points two times. It's not like Peyton was piling up the points and his D was giving up 35. In those 9 games, he had 11 TD and 6 INT.

The NFL average for winning a first round home game following a bye is something like 70% - Peyton is under 30%.

So yes, between the two, I'm taking Brady. And no, that doesn't mean Peyton is bad. But I've never understood people who act like Brady's teams were absolutely loaded and that's the only reason he's accomplished anything. Go look at some of the receivers he's won with. Heck this year, leads the greatest comeback in SuperBowl history with no Gronk. He has Edelman, Chris Hogan (former Bill, ironically), rookie Malcolm Mitchell, and Danny Amendola. Oh, and James White. And Brady doesn't make anyone better? Peyton had Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Demaryius Thomas - all first round picks, potentially all hall-of-famers. And Edgerrin James, 4th pick in the '99 draft.

Receivers Brady has won superbowls with? David Patten - undrafted, Julien Edleman - 7th round, college QB, Chris Hogan - undrafted, David Givens - 7th round pick, Troy Brown, 8th round pick, Danny Amendola, undrafted.

Deion Branch was a 2nd rounder, so I guess he's the stud out of the bunch. Brady didn't win one with Moss, or Welker (Welker was undrafted). So the notion that Brady couldn't go to another team and make them significantly better, given the talent he's had around him on offense? I don't get it.

Got off topic, not hostile, but Brady vs Manning is always interesting! Now how about that Tiger Woods!

I thought the content of the show was fine, and enjoyed listening to Phil's comments and anecdotes. What irked me was watching it "On Demand" and having to suffer through all the commercials. With all the commercials and Feherty's teasers for the next segment, it seemed like the hour of programming only contained about 15 minutes of interview.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Now we're talking. Played during an era when playing pass defense wasn't illegal. Played during a time when you could hit the QB anywhere. Competition he faced was better for sure.

So much has changed since he last played, it's really not an apples to apples comparison. With that said, taking everything into consideration, he was the best I saw.

Now, getting back on topic, looking forward to Tuesday when I'm snowed in, and I can kill an hour watching the 2 Phil/Feherty episodes.

The only stat that matters in the Manning vs Brady argument is # of rings.

Likewise, in the Phil vs TW argument it's # of majors.

I do think it's a relevant analogy as both Phil and Manning would've no doubt won more majors/rings and been the dominant players in their respective sports were it not for their aforementioned counterparts.

Now we're talking. Played during an era when playing pass defense wasn't illegal. Played during a time when you could hit the QB anywhere. Competition he faced was better for sure.

So much has changed since he last played, it's really not an apples to apples comparison. With that said, taking everything into consideration, he was the best I saw.

Now, getting back on topic, looking forward to Tuesday when I'm snowed in, and I can kill an hour watching the 2 Phil/Feherty episodes.

we are supposed to get 12 inches, cant wait

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

This is awesome. The story about his grandfather nudging in that putt on 18 at Augusta is pretty cool.

I agree. This was the best Feherty interview ever. And I love the Feherty shows.

Phil is more entertaining than the next ten tour pros. By the time he finishes his golf career, his impact on the game will have been more than anyone since Palmer. I suspect he will be very involved in golf for the next 30 years.

I'm watching pt2 right now. Phil is sharp, sincere, and a funny m f'er. Agree, best Feherty ever.

Loved watching the 2nd part of Phil on Feherty. Awesome genuine guy. I remember watching him at Castle Pines and Amy was following him around in 4" espadrilles. Amazing! That golf course is hard to walk in tennis shoes much less in heels. She was friendly with EVERYONE! She kept saying, "we're on a date" kids went to the Denver Zoo. That epic 4 wood he could hit out of everything was a Titleist 980f. Small clubhead with the leading edge moved further forward. Just got my 17, 19, and 21* reshafted. it's a low handicapper club IMO, but more playable (workable) than anything else I've played. They would EPIC if Titleist reissued them with a slightly hotter face and adjustability.

Just a fun watch. Anyone who loves the game should surely be able to recognize another who also does - Phil truly loves this game.

My favorite part was the veto Bones gets and the story "only good in the Continental US". And he countered the veto right to a double. : )

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Enjoyed both episodes. I had lost interest in the show with some of his guest ane I imagine I will pass on next weeks guest. ;)

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

we are supposed to get 12 inches, cant wait

Talking 24 for me here in NW NJ. Not thrilled about it. With the daylight savings kicking in, I wanted to start getting out to the practice green after work. That's on hold for at least 3 weeks now.

Did y'all catch the rapid fire question about what was harder winning a green jacket or buying a in-n-out franchise? Anybody know the back story on this? I know he owns a few 5 Guys. Personally I'd take Shake Shack over both of those.

He may have asked for one. But I thought Phil's comment unusual, since In-n-out is family owned, and run by the deceased founders wife.. No franchises...period.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Great Feherety show. Just great with Phil.

I remember another interview of Phil talking about Bones having a veto. Bones was calling a veto on him and Phil says to him "what? are you crazy ? You know that between now and the end of season I'm gonna try at least 10 shots that are way more stupid than this one" hahaha....

Hard to remember two guys more pleased with themselves. Until this interview I pretty much was a Phil fan. Now it is confirmed he is a major Dbag. Like the high school big man who has never grown up..

If you got that out of the interview you need a new TV.

he did not watch the same show that we did

I think he accidentally watched "Tin Cup"

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Great Feherety show. Just great with Phil.

I remember another interview of Phil talking about Bones having a veto. Bones was calling a veto on him and Phil says to him "what? are you crazy ? You know that between now and the end of season I'm gonna try at least 10 shots that are way more stupid than this one" hahaha....

Yes. He said Bones got one veto per year.

Watched Part II last evening. :clapping: Phil presents himself as a fun, yet respectful man with his values in the right order. Its no wonder he has a strong following. Best was when he was talking about all variable aspects he considers before a shot. Not many tour guys ever talk about such subjects, possibly on account, listeners haven't a clue. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX